Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

Although they use the BMI as an indicator, its not definitive. They also use an electric method which measures the ammount of fat in your body. So try not to worry about it. If you are looking at a medical appointment in a few weeks, just cut down on your salt intake, eat properly and relax. That is really all you can do. If all they went on was BMI I never would have passed. I need to loose something like 6 stone in order to fit o nthe BMI scale. TRY NOT TO WORRY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missy1983

Hi everyone! This is my first post to this forum so I hope I'm doing it correctly!

I just completed my medical yesterday. I thought the lung capacity test was pretty difficult and my legs and hips were shaking for a while afterwards! It's also hard to say how I did in the hearing test as I'm sure I missed beeps when I was breathing.

I'm concerned about my BMI as its 19.7 which is in the bottom end of the the normal range and I've read on this forum that someone had to do the physical push/pull test for having a BMI of 18. The doctor actually commented on the fact I had a small body size and asked if I have always been this way. I'm thin but I've always found it hard to bulk up.

Anyone else have similar issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

missy1983 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! This is my first post to this forum so I hope I'm doing it correctly!

I just completed my medical yesterday. I thought the lung capacity test was pretty difficult and my legs and hips were shaking for a while afterwards! It's also hard to say how I did in the hearing test as I'm sure I missed beeps when I was breathing.

I'm concerned about my BMI as its 19.7 which is in the bottom end of the the normal range and I've read on this forum that someone had to do the physical push/pull test for having a BMI of 18. The doctor actually commented on the fact I had a small body size and asked if I have always been this way. I'm thin but I've always found it hard to bulk up.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Welcome to the forum !

General rule of thumb is that anyone under BMI of 18.5 is classed as medically underweight so while 19.7 is very much at the lower end of the scale you could not be considered underweight ( in my opinion ).

Were you lucky enough to get to Garnerville you might find the physical side of training ( specifically the push/ pull test ) quite challenging.I understand a lot of smaller female students have issues on that point.

Everyone feels the same about the hearing test if that's any comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

BMI is an indicator not a definative line. I passed with a BMI over 30.

miss1983 - do not worry so much about bulking up etc. Concern yourself with getting dtronger instead. Simple freeweights will do this WITHOUT turning you massive and muscular (Women lack the testosterone to do this naturally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Got my medical invite stuff today! With the all waiting in between phases of this application process it's hard not to get overly excited when something actually happens! I've gone into planning mode to make sure everything is ok before the medical and ended up going to get an eye test tonight to put my mind at rest that I can still see clearly haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Lucky23 wrote: »
    Got my medical invite stuff today! With the all waiting in between phases of this application process it's hard not to get overly excited when something actually happens! I've gone into planning mode to make sure everything is ok before the medical and ended up going to get an eye test tonight to put my mind at rest that I can still see clearly haha

Hiya.

Where abouts are you on the merit list? RC or NRC?
    Cheers

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Hiya.

Where abouts are you on the merit list? RC or NRC?
    Cheers

NRC 200-220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

I got my medical date too :) on the same day as the 'hang in there' letter!! I'm NRC 170-190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Lucky23 wrote: »
    NRC 200-220

Thanks.

I'm around 300 mark, so i was if I might get a medical/vetting invite soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missy1983

Thanks for the information everyone. I actually received a letter yesterday telling me that I passed the medical! It was very quick as I just completed the examination on Tuesday!

I see that many of you are referring to your merit places- how do you find this out?

• Advertisement

You have to phone for merit score - I'll PM you the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

I actually received a letter yesterday telling me that I passed the medical! It was very quick as I just completed the examination on Tuesday!

Been a while since I done mine, but as far as I can remember the medical results also included the SMT results and so this took up to two weeks to let us know if we passed. Are these results now being sent seperately or have they just improved the process/turnaround?

- tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

Delancey i sent you a PM with another quiry on the ol eyesight test, might aswell ask everyone else while im typing this..... anybody know anyone who has failed the UNASSISTED vision test and how bad their eyesight was??? im soooooo bloody stressed about this medical aaarrgh :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

mouser1 wrote: »
    Delancey i sent you a PM with another quiry on the ol eyesight test, might aswell ask everyone else while im typing this..... anybody know anyone who has failed the UNASSISTED vision test and how bad their eyesight was??? im soooooo bloody stressed about this medical aaarrgh :mad::mad:

I just about managed to read the second line on the chart and I passed the eyesight test. Have you tried printing off the requirements from the PSNI website and taking them to your optician? I did this and my optician told me I was borderline but should just about pass and low and behold she was right :) thankfully...don't think I would now though :eek:

MBC x

yes MBC same thing here, optician told me i would be border line she said 'on a good' day i may reach this standard whatever that may mean, any chance of having a sneaky look at the board before your asked to read it without aid???? anybody else tried this. gawd how desperate am i sounding here :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

yes MBC same thing here, optician told me i would be border line she said 'on a good' day i may reach this standard whatever that may mean, any chance of having a sneaky look at the board before your asked to read it without aid???? anybody else tried this. gawd how desperate am i sounding here :cool:

Sneaky Peak LoL.... Sure bring something shiny and distract the nurse LoL... they have a few different charts that they work off so a sneaky peaky is prob not an option. You will be grand if your optician said so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jacksos

I rang medical this morning to see why my medical had not yet been rescheduled after cancelling the one i had for September. The woman on the phone told me it was lucky i had called as there has been a stop put on the medicals and told me she was giving one of the few medical dates left, which is for the end of November. Thought this might interest a few people out there.

anybody know how many letters are in the line you must read for the unassisted eyetest ?????? i know i am OBSESSED with this eyetest, roll on next week til its past me :rolleyes:

anybody know how many letters are in the line you must read for the unassisted eyetest ?????? i know i am OBSESSED with this eyetest, roll on next week til its past me :rolleyes:

From what I recall the eye test chart is the standard one called a ' Snellen Chart ' check out this link to Wiki.

jacksos wrote: »
    I rang medical this morning to see why my medical had not yet been rescheduled after cancelling the one i had for September. The woman on the phone told me it was lucky i had called as there has been a stop put on the medicals and told me she was giving one of the few medical dates left, which is for the end of November. Thought this might interest a few people out there.

Thats interesting because my medical date is end of November too so I must have just scraped one of the last places. Makes sense considering I reckon i'm borderline for being in the top group as regards to getting the progressing letter and vetting.

Cheers for the info jacksos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Littlemiss shiny shoes

Hi,

First time on here and was wondering if someone could help answer a few questions. I passed my medical 2 weeks ago and received a letter about processing to final stages, change of details etc to be updated if needed. My vetting is still on going I think, thou I would like to check the status on this if anyone knows a number or email address?
    Does anyone how the intakes are working for this current campaign?Im really confused heard so many different things. Im a NON RC merit between 100 - 120. Any advice would be great thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 newboarder

Hey guys,

I got a letter today saying i have passed the medical, im well chuffed as i was panicing over it!

Need my vetting to clear now and hope for the best.
    Just thought i'd share my news!

Good luck to all.

Hi,

First time on here and was wondering if someone could help answer a few questions. I passed my medical 2 weeks ago and received a letter about processing to final stages, change of details etc to be updated if needed. My vetting is still on going I think, thou I would like to check the status on this if anyone knows a number or email address?
    Does anyone how the intakes are working for this current campaign?Im really confused heard so many different things. Im a NON RC merit between 100 - 120. Any advice would be great thanks.

I'll PM you the e-mail for vetting separately.
    Thats a very good merit score to get and provided you pass vetting quickly you should be fine.
    Vetting is the killer - you can be hundreds of merit places above someone but if their vetting has cleared while yours is ongoing then they get the call while you wait.
    You are in a very good position though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Littlemiss shiny shoes

Thanks Delancey, I received the email address and have already dropped them an email, hopefully hear something over the next few days.
    This is my 1st time to this stage so it is all pretty new to me with what way it works with the intakes. If my vetting clears say on this side of the year, do you think it is possible me being in an intake soon, or are they filling positions with other merit lists 1st and mine may not be considered for a long time? How quick is the turn around after vetting has cleared?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

reckon you just id'd yourself there mate, this isn't a "general" circumstance...! and very specific to you only i guess...pm delancy for advice

Im confused :confused: PM Delancey on advice for what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

Im confused :confused: PM Delancey on advice for what exactly?

This is what rookie means, check out the first sticky in the PSNI Recruitment forum in relation to security or just click on link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055537064

Personally I dont think you have done anything wrong so don't stress. I'd safely say the medical section has better things to be doing then linking boardies to applicants and sure what if they did, you did/said nothing wrong, all u did was give members of this forum a pretty good indication as to whats going on at the medical stage. And I'd safely say the medical section is not going to inform the PSNI that Jocksos on boards.ie forum is Joe Bloggs.

But do be careful that you don't say anything that will ID you to the general public.

Good luck with your medical.

Regards
    Princess Deity

I tend to agree with Princess on this one - that said , let it be a reminder to everyone to watch what you post. Many thanks for your vigilance Rookie , that is a good example of folks here watching out for one another.

Thanks for the advice :D ill remember to take more care in future

• Advertisement

i know the topic of dress code has been discussed before, an im aware alot of people go in track gear, but wondering would shorts and t shirts be acceptable for medical?? most of my tracksuits are football related and dont want to go in them......

Advertisement