Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Delighted to report I passed my medical on appeal today. Failed it first time round due to high blood pressure, good thing the didn't test me as I was opening the letter :o Now stupid vetting hurry up :p

Thanks for the advice regarding the appeal folks, very helpful :).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

mouser1 wrote: »
    i know the topic of dress code has been discussed before, an im aware alot of people go in track gear, but wondering would shorts and t shirts be acceptable for medical?? most of my tracksuits are football related and dont want to go in them......
    i just went in jeans and t-shirt. you dont do anything to need track suit or shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

i know the topic of dress code has been discussed before, an im aware alot of people go in track gear, but wondering would shorts and t shirts be acceptable for medical?? most of my tracksuits are football related and dont want to go in them......

Go in whatever you feel comfortable in, it will not matter. No one will be watching you.

Just be sure to attend G/ville in a suit for your first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

dont want to go in jeans, want to be as light as possible when gettin height/ weight for bmi. borderline!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 waiting28

Two weeks since med today and still no word shud i be worried .All pass people seem to have got it within a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

waiting28 wrote: »
    Two weeks since med today and still no word shud i be worried .All pass people seem to have got it within a week?

I think it depends on which side of the border you lay your head, horse. If your in the Republic it could take longer, mine took exactly 10 working days + 3, so nearly two weeks, and I passed.

I'm sure you cold ring them all the same just to check it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

shampon wrote: »
    I think it depends on which side of the border you lay your head, horse. If your in the Republic it could take longer, mine took exactly 10 working days + 3, so nearly two weeks, and I passed.

I'm sure you cold ring them all the same just to check it out...

+ 1 . Several people in the South have said they have had serious postal delays with OHW stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 luckyb123

Anyone ever been invited back to do fitness test (after med) even if their bmi under 29/30

luckyb123 wrote: »
    Anyone ever been invited back to do fitness test (after med) even if their bmi under 29/30

No , not really - there was someone recently with a very low BMI ( around 18 ) who had to do the PCA but apart from that it seems that once you are under 30/29 ( Male/Female) you're in the clear.
    There may be cases that I've not heard of though.

hi guys anybody know of anyone who had a very borderline BMI and passes without PCA, mine was 30.4, waiting on word back. sorry Delancey thought I would throw this question out to everybody to see if anyone knows for definate what the stance is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

hi guys anybody know of anyone who had a very borderline BMI and passes without PCA, mine was 30.4, waiting on word back. sorry Delancey thought I would throw this question out to everybody to see if anyone knows for definate what the stance is

Do you look 'soft' or 'flabby' more than you should?

BMI is BS - It should be more objective as anyone with muscle will have a higher BMI.

Good luck!

yes could appear soft to them, the doc did ask me a few questions about what exercise i do, which is rather a lot to still be a big guy

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Mouser1, when did you get vedding and medical forms?

got vetting forms end of july and got medical forms about 3/4 weeks ago, medical done this week no sign of letter from them yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 luckyb123

Hi guys,

passed medical!!! :D

Medical early last week, got letter on friday.

All chuffed.

well done lucky, i done mine early last week, and still no word from them, hopefully tomoro

Medical done 3 weeks tomorrow and still no word back ,getting freaked now must be a fail takin this long ?

waiting28 wrote: »
    Medical done 3 weeks tomorrow and still no word back ,getting freaked now must be a fail takin this long ?

Anything specific that has you concerned , e.g. BMI , etc ?

Major concern is length of time with no reply ,everyone seems to hav gotten results within a week or so im nearly 3 weeks now .Hearing test has me worried and while in with the doc my heart was racing he had to wait ages for me to try calm myself to take blood pressure and the like

Fretting over the hearing test is common '' only thing I could hear was my heart beating '' is what many people say. Did they give you an indication of your BP reading ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gawa

I've just got the letter from OHW - my medical is in less than 2 weeks!

Sounds good........... my BMI is around 32!!!

Anyone got a plan for me?? I'll put in as much effort as I possibly can - but due to family commitments I can't get to a gym.

Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Gawa wrote: »
    I've just got the letter from OHW - my medical is in less than 2 weeks!

Sounds good........... my BMI is around 32!!!

Anyone got a plan for me?? I'll put in as much effort as I possibly can - but due to family commitments I can't get to a gym.

Help!

If you fail your BMI you can appeal and they will let you do the PCA to prove your fit enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tinkerbell2003

First off BMI is a joke i have a normal BMI and struggle with the PCA in fact I failed it a few times during my training whereas my husdand with a very high BMI is much fitter than me and passed first time no issuses. I was just wondering if anyone on here failed for BMI and then passed the PCA. My husband did and recived a what I consider very rude letter from OHW telling him he passed.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    If you fail your BMI you can appeal and they will let you do the PCA to prove your fit enough.

others on here who have failed had to appeal decision and not always offered it

i agree bmi isnt the be all end all but if your fit and healthy it will show to the doctor but if you fail and do not get an appeal youll kick yourself that you had two weeks which is enough time to drop a stone with hard work or strict diet that could of made all the difference but i suppose its how your build and if you look obese etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gawa

I'd read about the appeal to do the push/pull test, and I'm fairly sure I should pass it - but I'd rather not have to rely on an appeal.

If anyone has any ideas of how to loose 10 more pounds in less than 2 weeks now - I'd be glad to hear them!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Both vetting and medical forms in the same week.

Best sort of Christmas present.

Hope my eyesight is up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Got medical forms in the post today :D !!!!

Still waiting to hear if they have classified my community background yet. As of yesterday Equality department were still waiting on Deloitte to come back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Guys, what's the highest and lowest your blood pressure can be for medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

140/90 is classed as hypertension.

Lower is less dangerous then higher. But i would say anything lower than 95-100/60 they would start questioning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

1986j wrote: »
    But i would say anything lower than 95-100/60 they would start questioning it.

I think it will just depend (like BMI) on other factors. My average BP for years has been 98/60, but I do a lot of sport and am of a healthy build. When I had my medical, there was no mention of it and I got a pass letter 2 days later.

I think if you looked unhealthy or were a self-confessed bum, they might then look to investigate it a bit more.

Would agree that a lower BP is not quite as serious as a high, though some people can have issues with getting light headed, fainting etc and if you have these then you may not pass the medical on a low BP...

Advertisement