Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

1986j wrote: »
    140/90 is classed as hypertension.

Lower is less dangerous then higher. But i would say anything lower than 95-100/60 they would start questioning it.

+ 1. A systolic under 90 and / or diastolic under 60 would be something they would probably look at closely though if there were no obvious problems like fainting , etc then it would probably be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

hi all, the 2 weeks have now come and passed since i done my medical, still no word back, any idea what the hold up is?? only wondering because most of the rest of us have been getting replies within 1 week and some cases sooner. should i be ringing up??

PCA it is for me then...... eyesight not as bad as i thought delancey, who'd have thought it eh!!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

mouser1 wrote: »
    PCA it is for me then...... eyesight not as bad as i thought delancey, who'd have thought it eh!!! lol

Did you fail your BMI?

yes bmi was 30.4, very fit as i am involved in sports and run every other night in the week, a bit soft round the gut tho, was looking at the PCA video on psni website, looks like a piece if piss, shouldnt have any problems with that, anybodys experiences on it please???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

yes bmi was 30.4, very fit as i am involved in sports and run every other night in the week, a bit soft round the gut tho, was looking at the PCA video on psni website, looks like a piece if piss, shouldnt have any problems with that, anybodys experiences on it please???

I asked my mate as I was worried I was gonna fail basically said it's very easy and you only fail if very unfit or get hit by time penaltys by knocking cones over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Had medical today, all was grand except we didn't get our drugs test because the guy who does was snowed in apparently. So we're gonna have to go back another time to do it which is a pain in the ass as will need to get out of work again. The snow's near melted everywhere too, bloody civil servant just taking a wee day off!

Booked an eye test for Thursday, just to be prepared for my medical. :cool:

Sorry to hear you have to do the PCA mouser but what the hell - you passed the eyesight and that was keeping you awake nights !! Well done.

hey delancey yea im well chuffed regardless of the PCA, I always knew i was going to be borderline in the BMI but my fitness shouldnt be in question, exercise very regularly to keep in shape. definately not seeing this as a defeat. thank gawd I got past the eyesight that was my number 1 worry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tinkerbell2003

Mouser 1 well done if you are fit at all the PCA will be no problem but if you dont have a date yet hound OHW for one it took 3 months for myhusband to get a date at 3 months is a long time at this point of the process. Good luck with it, BMI should never be used to measure fitness.

Not much action in here today.......

For those in the know, what level/reading do you have to reach in the spirometry test? Do you only get one chance at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

The machine is calibrated according to your gender, weight, height and age and creates a profile that you are expected to fall within. there is no point telling you to aim for a level or point as its too hard. Basically, your told to exhale as quick as you can for the first second and then continue to empty your lungs after this until there is nothing left. Much harder than you think. You generally do it three times but it can be more. I ended up doing mine like 7 times as I kept getting errors for the way I was blowing - but still managed to pass.
    The staff are really nice and will keep you right!

fefe5 wrote: »
    The machine is calibrated according to your gender, weight, height and age and creates a profile that you are expected to fall within. there is no point telling you to aim for a level or point as its too hard. Basically, your told to exhale as quick as you can for the first second and then continue to empty your lungs after this until there is nothing left. Much harder than you think. You generally do it three times but it can be more. I ended up doing mine like 7 times as I kept getting errors for the way I was blowing - but still managed to pass.
    The staff are really nice and will keep you right!

As above - it is not a pleasant feeling having to go against your natural instinct and completely empty your lungs but I don't think it's a difficult test - I've not heard of someone failing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

delancey42 wrote: »
    As above - it is not a pleasant feeling having to go against your natural instinct and completely empty your lungs but I don't think it's a difficult test - I've not heard of someone failing it.

Haha, you should have seen the panic I was in after 7 error messages then! :D
    Totally agree though, just very against the natural instinct - they do encourage you to have practice goes and all before they take a reading. You'll be grand Gee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 harrijack

Had my vetting cleared and am getting my result of medical appeal tomorrow so brickin it now I know tomorrow is make or break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Canardly

Hey mate approx how long did it take for vetting to pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 harrijack

Canardly wrote: »
    Hey mate approx how long did it take for vetting to pass?

Vetting took about 5 months in all, long old time to wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Got letter telling me I passed my medical! Only did it 2 days ago so really pleased I heard back so quickly! Only thing is I didn't do the drugs test because the guy couldn't make it in and there was no mention of it on the letter. Presuming i'm going to have to go in again and do it sometime soon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

delancey42 wrote: »
    Fretting over the hearing test is common '' only thing I could hear was my heart beating '' is what many people say. Did they give you an indication of your BP reading ?

i had my medical today.. it seems everything went ok but the hearing test! yeah, the only thing i could hear was my breathing, swallowing and heart beat but it turned out i was pushing the button too late and had to have the test redone. result - they sent me away with a referral to my gp! im absolutely petrified! whats the 'normal'or acceptable result?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Greasy

Had medical today, think my bp was a tad high. Can you appeal this if that is what you fail on? I found the hearing test ok hopefully you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

There have been one of two people mention that if blood pressure is high they got referred to their GP to check it again in less stressful conditions. Not sure if they were told on the day of medical or not. Maybe someone remembers when they were told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Greasy

Thanks bakerboy. Hopefully I get the referral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

I sent my Vetting forms away about 8 weeks ago and had my medical four weeks ago. I know the vetting takes ages but I am worried about the medical as my BMI was a bit high. How can I find out about what is happening with these and how do I find out my merit number.

Thanks

I will PM you the number for OHW so you can see what the delay is - I doubt they will tell you much over the phone but it might expedite a reply by post. I will also PM you the number for getting your merit placing as mentioned in the thread you started , which for convenience I have merged into this thread.

When I was having my medical this week, a member of staff said next week will see the end of medicals for the foreseeable.

I'm guessing everyone who recieved a progressing letter will have had a medical by that stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

Do you reckon I won't be progressing then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Nobody knows whether you will clear Vetting, so nobody know the answer to that question. 8 weeks is nothing when it comes to vetting. Be prepared to measure your wait time in months and not weeks. Everyone will tell you - this is the worst part of the application process.
    johnnyf1 wrote: »
    Do you reckon I won't be progressing then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bs2010

hi all, just had medical today and vetting forms have been sent, but could somebody please tell me how to find out my merit place. guessing that it's low down because medical was one of the last! dont want to give myself false hope!

• Advertisement

If it's any consolation bs there have been several people only getting medicals now who did pretty well in the competition - so no need to think the worst ;)
    I will PM you the contact details needed to get your merit score.

Advertisement