Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Did anyone else not get drugs tested during their medical in the last few weeks because the guy from substance misuse didn't make it in because of the snow?

I phoned OHW the following week who said it was a different department from them but a list of people who missed the drugs test were being forwarded on to the substance misuse dept so they could rescheduled appointments but haven't heard anything yet and if medicals are finishing next week I hope this wont mean our drugs test will have to wait till the next set of medicals.

Feels like another hurdle in my way slowing me down from being ready to get the call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Lucky23 wrote: »
    Did anyone else not get drugs tested during their medical in the last few weeks because the guy from substance misuse didn't make it in because of the snow?

I phoned OHW the following week who said it was a different department from them but a list of people who missed the drugs test were being forwarded on to the substance misuse dept so they could rescheduled appointments but haven't heard anything yet and if medicals are finishing next week I hope this wont mean our drugs test will have to wait till the next set of medicals.

Feels like another hurdle in my way slowing me down from being ready to get the call!

As it's an outside company carring out the tests, I would think they are being paid to carry out X amount of tests.

As a result it would be up to them to ensure they provided that service. So the onus would be in them to complete that process as per their contract.

So I don't think they would have to wait for medicals to be in process. But going by what the drugs guy said to me, they won't do them before the new year.

That's just my opinion, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

johnnyf1 wrote: »
    Do you reckon I won't be progressing then.

PSNI is dead right, i've a set of vetting forms submitted august 09, still ongoing never mind this years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

Thanks for all he advice.

Did everybody else send their vetting forms away before the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Did everybody else send their vetting forms away before the medical?

Yip got vetting forms start of July and did medical end of November.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Just received a letter to say I have passed my medical!

Wish vetting was so quick. :)

I failed my medical because of my BMI. Have to go to the PCA. Does anybody know what it consists of?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

I think youll be required to complete this

http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/resources/1/pca-test%20%282%29.wmv

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Congrats Gee-22

johnnyf1 can I ask how long ago you did your medical and when you got your reply. Still waiting to hear, but my post at the minute is a bit off due to the weather. So not sure if something has been sent or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

ok, had my medical 2 weeks ago - waiting to hear back from them, but what worries me is that i never got any Vetting forms to fill in! ever..
    does anyone know how that works?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 1Shot

I got my medical appointment and vetting forms at the same time. After my medical was complete I had the pass letter 2 days later. I collected some post at my local sorting office as the postman hasn't been out my way much with the weather!

Hi Baker Boy

Yeah they were able to tell me the date. Really glad I rang as it's in a couple of weeks. They delayed sending mine out as they were waiting to fill the spaces up. The video clip doesn't look that tasking. I have been training. Can run a couple of miles in 20 minds. Row a couple of km in 10 mins and do chest presses of about 30kilo with not too much bother.

Does anybody think that is enough or will I need to train harder?

I intend to do so anyway but if anybody has any suggestions on how to train for this specifically I'd love to hear them.

cheers, rang up today but the person that deals with it is off, so they took my details and are going to call back tomorrow.

Sounds like your in good shape to get through the PCA, from what people say you need to be seriously unfit to fail.

Happy days, medical outcome is a trip to PCA.

Great time of year to be doing a physical, better keep an eye on the junk food over the festive time! Small price to pay, usually eat too much anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Happy days, medical outcome is a trip to PCA.

Great time of year to be doing a physical, better keep an eye on the junk food over the festive time! Small price to pay, usually eat too much anyway.

Do you live up to your name ? By that I mean are you like me and waaaayyy too fond of what comes from the bakery ? :rolleyes::D

Aren't we all!!

That name comes from the career I used to be in, before my current job.

Normally would try to make a special effort at Christmas, will need to be a special effort not to this year.

hi, does anyone know if the medical center gives out any information about the medical if i ring them? had to send them a letter from my gp but due to the weather im not sure if they got it ok amd my test results depend on it :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They might tell you whether they got it or not, but they won't give the results of a medical over the phone. Wait until the new year and then give them a call.

Make sure you specify that you only want to confirm whether the additional information that you sent on X date - which was requested by them - has been received due to the inclement weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

hi all merry christmas by the way, havent been on here in about 2 weeks, going to do PCA due to BMI being high, anybody shed any light on the format of what will happen on the day, ie the layout of what they do with us and also do we do course singily or does every one else watch while you do your circuit

The format for the test goes something like this - you will be met at the gates and all have your name and UID numbers noted , then you get your height and weight measured for an updated BMI reading.
    Get changed in the ( seriously grotty ) changing rooms and into the gym where the instructors run through the circuit and the push pull test - you then have a few minutes to try any parts of the circuit you wish and also do the push pull test for practice.

The tests are done 1 at a time and nobody apart from instructors is there , the whole group must wait outside the gym , some people use this time to do warm up exercises in the small gym nearby.

Then eventually you'll get called for your 5 minutes of fame , do note that self-timing is not permitted and you cannot bring a stopwatch , etc with you - this policy is something I consider quite unfortunate in that it flies in the face of transparency but it is a rule nonetheless.

best of luck mouser ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

hi delancey thatnks very much very helpful. just another wee question, when you say they take an updated BMI reading... what if the worst has happened and your weight is actualliy higher than when you did medical? i have a few pounds on since then, i blame this bloody christmas stuff lol.

They simply will send your latest measurements to the OHW Dept. along with your PCA test scores , always remember that the final Yes / No decision is made by OHW.

Hi everyone. Like bakerboy I am at the PCA very soon. Does anybody know if it is one lap or three we have to do for the curcuit test.

Also sprained my wrist falling in the snow. Will they take any consideration for this or is it just tough luck if I fail?

Hi everyone. Like bakerboy I am at the PCA very soon. Does anybody know if it is one lap or three we have to do for the curcuit test.

Also sprained my wrist falling in the snow. Will they take any consideration for this or is it just tough luck if I fail?

It's the full 3 laps to be done in under 3 minutes and 43 seconds.

I doubt any allowance would be made for injuries unfortunately , that's just my opinion and you may wish to check with the staff though be aware that could make them nervous of letting you do the test if you run the risk of aggravating it - have you tried to re-schedule ?

I thought it seemed too easy for one lap. I didn't really get enough notice to re-schedule. Should be alright. Thanks again.

Good luck Bakerboy

Thanks johnnyf1, you too.

Hopefully your injury isn't too bad on the day to let you get a fair crack of the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Buy some straps and wrap very tightly around your wrist. Even normal 5cm wide crepe bandages abouta metre long will offera LOT of support and enable you to do the push pull much much better that without. Wrap them almost uncomfortably tight. Your hands will turn a odd colour but it works. I have done this when competing and injured.

If you take this advice practise ita few times before you go. No safety pin needed just tuck the end under the bandage.

Thanks 1986. I got a sports support for it today. Bricking myself about it. Have lost well over half a stone and have done loads or training.

How hard is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I have not done it. I imagine you will be fine though.

What type of support. Also please try the crepe bandages. If you wrists is sore dont forget to use your legs and weight to push and pull. They will generate more power than your chest/shoulder/tris and back/bis alone.

• Advertisement

just got my letter today that i passed the medical.. so whats the next stage? whats gonna happen now-is it that famous waiting point i reached?

Advertisement