Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

can someone confirm it please: the intakes are being held up until march 2011?
    there were some lucky people who got the call to be there for first half of feb, is there only one intake or do they do like 2 or 3 per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Hey nat, wrong thread but yes usually has only been one intake per month. As far as anyone knows there will be the one calls went out for today and may tomorrow as well for a Feb intake. There will then probably be a final intake in Mar, this may change after Mar depending on budget commitments the PSNI are held to. So as it stands anyone not getting called up for Feb/Mar intake are out of luck. At least until the hopefully "ring fenced" budget is released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

Unfortunately in this process there are so many unknowns to get a straight answer to that question. It's a matter of cross your fingers if you don't get in for March and then wait and see what happens with the budget and if they run another campaign.

So annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

johnnyf1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately in this process there are so many unknowns to get a straight answer to that question. It's a matter of cross your fingers if you don't get in for March and then wait and see what happens with the budget and if they run another campaign.

So annoying.

I don't think we need to worry about another campaign. If the budget gets the go ahead they will do a few more intakes of C16ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

I don't think we need to worry about another campaign. If the budget gets the go ahead they will do a few more intakes of C16ers.

C16 will run it's course per usual. There should be 240 appointments, 50% of appointments made to those from a RC background and 50% Non-RC. However, when the full allotment from C16 will be selected is anyone's guess. Say for example that intakes are 'suspended' from March (worst case scenario folks) everyone will still be in the merit pool until recruitment resumes. So, in theroy, you may get a call in 6 months or maybe longer (years). A candidate is never 'out' under he recieves a letter directly informing him that he has been unsucessful, the dreaded Dear John.

At least this is my view anyway!

- tv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

Hey....I had the rest of my medical today due to mix up when I originally went (doc didn't show up!!). I overheard them saying the medicals were more or less done for now except for a few stragglers like me. I reckon there will be more intakes after march otherwise why would they continue with meds vetting etc. They all cost money, and if the PSNI can find a way of saving money would they not freeze all recruitment to start with?
    Again, just my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

johnny did you get your pca result today? I passes mate, best of luck

Excellent big lad. Congrats. I won't get home to half seven tonight to find out. At least that is another thing ticked off. Did it give you your time or anything?

mouser1 wrote: »
    johnny did you get your pca result today? I passes mate, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

no times on it mate, just basically says you have passed PCA I will inform recruitment you are medically fit to start training

well fingers crossed mine is lying on the mat when I get home along with the recruitment pack lol.

What about bakerboy, anyword on his?

• Advertisement

Yes he has, and people probably think I'm a bit of a nutter walking round with this smile!!!! Yes same as mouser1 PCA passed.

Not much on the letter like mouser says, just Having passes the PCA I will pass on to recruitment that you are fit for training.

Good luck johnnyf1, and anyone else out there who is waiting to hear back from PCA.

Nice one mate. Really hope I have the same letter.

I'd be walking around with a big smile to.

Only Vetting left for you boys then.

Not that fat.

Passed the PCA. Well chuffed. Celebrating with a chippy, beer and footy

Well done, now we get to put on weight eating junk sitting waiting on the call!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Delighted to learn the ' Big Lads ' all proved light on their feet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Evening all, thought I would post this here to see if anyone can offer any assistance.

I im hoping to get myself a bit fitter this year and hopfully gain a bit of muscle, im quite slim and find it hard to put on much weight (got a slight bump on a month long holiday due to a diet of steaks alcohol and various other red meats) but it went away shortly after. Anyway what I want to know is what sort of stuff I should be doing, dont want to use any of those protein things as I heard that they will just turn to fat if you dont keep up the exercise/training.

Any advice from people in the know eould be appreciated. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

Evening all, thought I would post this here to see if anyone can offer any assistance.

I im hoping to get myself a bit fitter this year and hopfully gain a bit of muscle, im quite slim and find it hard to put on much weight (got a slight bump on a month long holiday due to a diet of steaks alcohol and various other red meats) but it went away shortly after. Anyway what I want to know is what sort of stuff I should be doing, dont want to use any of those protein things as I heard that they will just turn to fat if you dont keep up the exercise/training.

Any advice from people in the know eould be appreciated. cheers

hi.. dont know exactly how fit they expect us to be for the training but i can give you some advice on improving your general fitness. some may not be too fond on this but swimming really does the trick. though you have to really go for it and i dont mean it once every two weeks. if you have some time to spare id recommend 3 times a week 40mins of constant swimming.
    gym is good for you as well, if you cant be bothered with getting a membership and weather conditions are not a problem - running. start with walking and running and try to run as much as you can, go for longer distnce every time, try to time yourself.. hope youll get it even a little bit useful :) good luck

Have a look at this gigity gigity, it lays out the basics without getting into supplements.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4795403_build-muscle-bulk.html

Important thing to remember is that protein is used to builds muscle, but you need the energy to lift the weights in the first place. Never drink too much or take very salty foods. An imbalance of salt either way is as dangerous as the other. Keep hydrated but not "drenched".

I'm sure someone with more experience can correct/add to this.

Just junk tonight. Back to the gym tomorrow. Want to get this 5k nailed just in case I do get a call up. Did it for the first time yesterday but was knackered after.
    Well done, now we get to put on weight eating junk sitting waiting on the call!! :D

From my experience of the PCA, distance training while this will improve your fitness will not necessarily help on the PCA. This is because it uses energy up fast, by that I mean your not just running, you have sections that are more anaerobic in nature. So exercises that make your body in general feel like its "burning" will provide better preparation. Rowing machine at your "max" output will improve how your muscle can deal with anaerobic exercises. Sprint set ups, really circuit training, but its a killer. Running is aerobic and will burn fat and tone, it will not help overly much with the instant burning exercises.

Again open to correction, no expert.

Remember endurance stuff will get you fit, ie your heart rate will return to normal quicker after doing exercise. But if your body can't keep up with the tiring effects of anaerobic exercise then the PCA will possible slip away from you.

Best advise pop into your local gym tell them you need to build muscle and want to do anaerobic work in general, they will do out a plan for you. You can get advice on food stuff online. No quick results will last, takes hard work and time.

• Advertisement

Listen to bakerboy as he is the perfect picture of good health.

One of the first things a G'ville they do is stick you out for a 5k run to asses your fitness.

As far as I know if you want to bulk up you nerd a high carb and protein diet with the weight training to turn it to muscle.

:D johnny how much beer have you had, lol.

I'm a picture of something!! :rolleyes:, although thankfully in reasonable shape. The hard work starts now, just a wee nudge in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

johnnyf1 wrote: »
    Listen to bakerboy as he is the perfect picture of good health.

One of the first things a G'ville they do is stick you out for a 5k run to asses your fitness.

As far as I know if you want to bulk up you nerd a high carb and protein diet with the weight training to turn it to muscle.

Circuit Training FTW.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Currently waiting on a date for a PCA - spoke with them about a week ago - anyone with me

I did mine a couple of weeks ago.

Had read on here about one going on, just having to wait on date arriving and working on my fitness / sprinting

1967J wrote: »
    Had read on here about one going on, just having to wait on date arriving and working on my fitness / sprinting

You will be fine 1967J if you are training at all, put in the hours and take it as it comes. Its all very straight forward, and quite relaxed (in a good way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Thanks for the responses, I used to be quite a good swimmer so will probably head down that route, when I get an evening where im not home late and knackered lol.

You will be fine 1967J if you are training at all, put in the hours and take it as it comes. Its all very straight forward, and quite relaxed (in a good way)

Thanks for the support - dont think it should be a problem, try to get a run in three times a week and recently started working on sprints, do not imagine myself to be exceptionally fit but runs generally are between 2k and 5 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shoxs

hi guy and girls. just a quick question that im VERY worried about. i had a back injury about 4 years ago because for orders from a bad employeer. i went to the gp about the problem etc and solictors are currently on the case. the injury was 4 years ago and i am now fit and healthy. do you think this would hold back me being accepted at this stage? (surly as long as i can do what they need me to do and im fit and health, is that not enough?) :confused:

Advertisement