Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

gmck26 wrote: »
    My medical invite has just arrived today. A couple of weeks to get ready for it.

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

o0o0o0ooooo very excited!! First squad you jammmmmmy rolls!

Bob Law wrote: »
    o0o0o0ooooo very excited!! First squad you jammmmmmy rolls!

Heres hoping

That's how I read it. You guys are 1st batch in (who knows how many squads), 2nd round of passes are going in a few weeks after you (me hopefully!).

There will be another round of passes soon in a few weeks I reckon.

Bob Law wrote: »
    That's how I read it. You guys are 1st batch in (who knows how many squads), 2nd round of passes are going in a few weeks after you (me hopefully!).

There will be another round of passes soon in a few weeks I reckon.

But remember you dont know how many have been informed of a pass yet! Also the merit list will be a big player here! When can we find our merit order? Im too young to have bedn involved in the prior processes so this is all new to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

student15 wrote: »
    But remember you dont know how many have been informed of a pass yet! Also the merit list will be a big player here! When can we find our merit order? Im too young to have bedn involved in the prior processes so this is all new to me!

Just focus on the medical and the rest will look after itself.
    A point to note is the psni do not always recruit on strict merit order. They appoint in order of people available from within appointable band. So in my opinion if you are one of the first cleared you are in with a good chance!
    Your merit order will be available after deloitte give us our AC scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Still waiting.. Over 2 weeks now since I did my PCA!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 policehopeful

just got my medical invite also.....into the last few stages of the process

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

Just recieved my medical date this morning. I was the second day of pca's the afternoon sess

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Got the letter today too.

Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

Letter arrived today. Think I'm more nervous about this bit than I was about the pca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

Anyone wear glasses? I never applied before because I wear glasses however was told to apply as an officer knew of folk in their section wearing glasses. However after reading some information recently I know my unaided vision is very poor. I think it's beyond the time for me to get laser eye correction (6 weeks pre-medical?). Though I have yet to do my PCA - how long did the PCA passers get before medical appointment? Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

aeternus wrote: »
    Anyone wear glasses? I never applied before because I wear glasses however was told to apply as an officer knew of folk in their section wearing glasses. However after reading some information recently I know my unaided vision is very poor. I think it's beyond the time for me to get laser eye correction (6 weeks pre-medical?). Though I have yet to do my PCA - how long did the PCA passers get before medical appointment? Gutted.

What's your prescription, I'm a bit confused by the eyesight requirements unaided. Best get an eye test and see how it compares to te requirements, many places offer free tests. I got laser eye surgery a while back just to be on safe side, couldn't find any info on how long it had to be completed prior to medical in the recruitment information

How long ago did you get laser surgery and did it work well? I've wore glasses since I was 7, I need them permanently, this is the reason I never even thought to apply before someone I know who is in the police said to go for it as they knew people in their section who wear glasses all the time. I had organised a laser consultation in December but had to cancel due to work commitments and haven't had the chance to again since. I guess I should have looked a bit further rather than taking someone's word for granted, though a few people have told me glasses aren't a problem. Obviously from a safety perspective, I feel that of course they would be. 2 men at my ac wore them all the time also. It's my first time ever applying, I guess there's always next time whenever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

I wear glasses/contact lenses and couldn't see any distance without them. You have to meet a certain vision which can be aided so wearing glasses doesn't count you out!. As above take the requirements to your optician and they will advise if your vision meets the standards.

Here's hoping! Hopefully if you got that far and there was a concern about eyesight you could get correction done. It's just an awful lot of money to be putting out, although, I'd love to never have to wear contacts or glasses again! I'm very short sighted. Used to be able to horse ride without glasses in my younger years but no mission now. If it's meant to be its meant to be I guess! Unfortunately eye transplants seem out if the question :) I'm the only one in my immediate family who wears glasses, the rest have perfect vision. Maybe I was secretly adopted.

Got it done end of January, I got Lasek as it is recommended over LASIK if you are applying for police. Lasek does have a longer recovery time though. Took best part of two weeks to get back driving etc, each day since I've noticed improvements.

It's something I've wanted done for a while so regardless of the outcome of the recruitment campaign I think it will be worthwhile.

There are specific requirements for unaided vision so I would definitely check if you meet those

Have you been able to drive etc without needing any form of glasses since? Yes I found the requirements recently. Unaided I dont stand a chance I already know that. For some reason I thought it was aided only. Should have got mine done in December.

Yip,driving away no problem. When's your medical?

I haven't passed PCA yet! Haha, just thinking ahead. PCA in a few weeks. I just wanted to query eyesight on the medical boards as I knew a few people wear glasses. When is yours?

• Advertisement

You would still be in the time frame to have it completed within 6 weeks if you got it done soon. That being said, I don't know where the requirement for it being doing at least six weeks prior to medical is coming from as I can't find it written anywhere. Medical is just over a week away :)

I took the requirements to my optician and they said my unaided was better than what they needed on the sheet. I wear glasses most of the time now but without them I can see see, just not focused at long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

I would wear my glasses for driving and watching the TV etc. I'm short sighted - 1.25 both eyes and have my medical in week or so. Never thought would be an issue though. On letter it states to bring contacts or glasses to the appointment though so think they expect it. Hopefully be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

I wear contact lenses all the time, I'm as blind as a bat without them and have the medical next week, going to call in the opticians during the week :(

Ditto callthecobra. I have no mission of passing unaided. I'm also very doubtful they'd allow you to get your eyes fixed - it would probably be a case of 'try again.' No problem with glasses. I've booked a laser surgery consultation but think itd be cutting it too fine as I'd only go ahead with it if I pass the pca. With Work commitments I doubt I'd get time off to recover either anyway. Should have trusted my instincts and sorted my eyes out before applying.

At least I'm not the only one in the same boat. Good luck to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

I wear glasses or contacts all the time. I've been for a consultation and have to go for a second one to see if I'm suitable for lasek. But I have the medical at the end of the month. My surgery would be after that. Is that to much of a risk or is there anyone who knows the psni stance on this? Really don't want to have to fiddle around with contacts if I'm successful at getting through to hotel garnerville.

Soon as that 1st payrise kicks in I'm getting the surgery.

Might be helpful for some people regarding eye sight.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/police-eyesight-standard-requirements/

I think it's just basically the few top lines. I read another where someone had a prescription of - 2.0 in both eyes and the optician states them should just be able to do this. I am - 1.25 so this gives me some hope.

However another post someone states they are - 6.5 and optician states without correction they are doubtful of meeting the required standard.

Read some more and it's the top 2 lines unaided which I think are fairly big so unless you are near blind you should be OK lol

Aided I think it is down to line 5.

I'm calling over to our doctor at work to use the eye chart just to double check. Lol

• Advertisement

And my last post.....

Any people from previous campaigns could you shed some light on this?

I've read that some people failed the eye sight test but we're given 6 months to have laser eye surgery.

Advertisement