Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Eyes tested there. 6/18 in right. 6/15 in left but together I'm 6/7.5 unaided.

Anyone know if it's together or separate?

Last question I promise ;)

OK so I have answered my own questions after researching this morning lol!

Taken from the PSNI website...

Vision
    Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly

So basically with glasses your best eye should be 6/12 (5th line on eye chart) or better.

And without should be 6/36 (2nd line or better)

This has put my mind at rest!

Hope it helps you others. Though I will definitely be considering laser surgery anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

Jb12345 wrote: »
    OK so I have answered my own questions after researching this morning lol!

Taken from the PSNI website...

Vision
    Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly

So basically with glasses your best eye should be 6/12 (5th line on eye chart) or better.

And without should be 6/36 (2nd line or better)

This has put my mind at rest!

Hope it helps you others. Though I will definitely be considering laser surgery anyway.

Thanks, I will need to check how good my unaided vision is. It would be horrible getting turned away at this stage due to this requirement. I will be getting laser eye surgery as soon as I can but unfortunately not before medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

If I pass the PCA in a few weeks I'll have had my consultation for laser, so regardless I'd have to get it done then (you do get a few weeks before medical am I correct?).

I had booked in I'm December but little one was ill, and with work haven't been able to rebook.

Need an eye transplant! Anyone willing to swap?!

J_Recruit wrote: »
    I wear glasses or contacts all the time. I've been for a consultation and have to go for a second one to see if I'm suitable for lasek. But I have the medical at the end of the month. My surgery would be after that. Is that to much of a risk or is there anyone who knows the psni stance on this? Really don't want to have to fiddle around with contacts if I'm successful at getting through to hotel garnerville.

Why have you needed two consultations if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

aeternus wrote: »
    If I pass the PCA in a few weeks I'll have had my consultation for laser, so regardless I'd have to get it done then (you do get a few weeks before medical am I correct?).
    PCA and Medical are roughly 4 weeks apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Booked in for eye test this week, hopefully no issues! Will memorise the card and hope they use the same one in the medical! Lol

Bob Law wrote: »
    Soon as that 1st payrise kicks in I'm getting the surgery.

Same as, wonder will they do a group discount lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24 J_Recruit

aeternus wrote: »
    Why have you needed two consultations if you don't mind me asking?

First one was a consultation and testing then the next one is with the surgeon that will be carrying out the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

Is anyone else's eyesight as bad as - 3.50? I can't read anything on the lines in the opticians. ..would be a struggle! !

• Advertisement

Sofia2011 wrote: »
    Is anyone else's eyesight as bad as - 3.50? I can't read anything on the lines in the opticians. ..would be a struggle! !

I'm -3.25 in left and -3 in right, going to the opticians this week to see if there's any problems!

I'm -3.25 in left and -3 in right, going to the opticians this week to see if there's any problems!
    You feeling OK about it? I'm not as bad but still freaked me a bit but should be sweet.

You feeling OK about it? I'm not as bad but still freaked me a bit but should be sweet.

I'm hoping it will be ok, will know better on Thursday, definitely going to look into the laser eye surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

Same here I'm going to the opticians on Thursday. There's loads of cops who wear glasses so we shouldn't panic!

Pre-baby -3.50 -3.75 post baby -4.50 -5.00 . Can safely say I'm the worst here. I don't even understand how they got so bad in a year! If I pass PCA I'm getting lazered! Just hope it's enough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Same as, wonder will they do a group discount lol

If I refer you to my laser eye surgeon you get 15% off :)

picture987 wrote: »
    If I refer you to my laser eye surgeon you get 15% off :)

Booked in for consultation next week! Might hold you to that!

Even if I don't pass at this stage, it's a good investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Joe_Bloggsy

All of this about the unaided sight is worrying, I haven't even got a pass or fail yet for the AC but for people to get a pass and then fail the medical would be devastating.

I went for laser consultation over year ago as noticed my sight getting worse and had been ordering contact lenses off the internet for quite a bit, sight had went from -2.0 and 2.25 to -3.75 and -4.00, was told as perscription was not stable for at least 6 months they could not proceed until it was.

Can see fine with the contacts but without everything is really blurry and can't even make out the top line of letters, hope that people that get as far as medical don't have their dreams ruined for something so stupid.

Too much talking about the eye tests will worry anyone with glasses. Fact is, a girl in my squad who I'm very good friends with got in fine. She wore glasses, passed her driving course, and several years down the line tried to get laser eye surgery. She was told her eyesight was too bad for normal LASIK and would need some sort of internal contact lens as opposed to laser.

None of which caused her to fail her medical. And her eyesight was TRULY awful. From 10 yards away I could have held a cat up in front of my face and spoken and she'd have claimed to recognise me. And I look nothing like a cat... :p

Not long to go until medical! Crazy that this is the last part and then it's the big wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Job4life

Not long to go until medical! Crazy that this is the last part and then it's the big wait.

Hopefully not too big a wait though! I think those of us lucky to have everything passed with a decent merit score will get a call early April for a May start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

Not that Id be worrying over it but my medical is soon and i appear to have gotten a cold! Surely it wouldnt have any bearing on my medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

El_Triboy wrote: »
    Not that Id be worrying over it but my medical is soon and i appear to have gotten a cold! Surely it wouldnt have any bearing on my medical?

It might effect your lung capacity test if its in your cheast and hearing test if your bunged up, get plenty of vitamin c into you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Job4life

I have heard that <mod snip> is the start date for squad no.1. Not long if that's correct!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Job4life wrote: »
    I have heard that <mod snip> is the start date for squad no.1. Not long if that's correct!
    Moderator post:

Infracted for posting exact date, which is a breach of the forum charter:

# For security reasons, do not give out dates, times or places to the Initial Selection Tests, Assessment Centres, Medicals, Student Information Days or any other part of the PSNI recruitment process. This includes the day/date you start (if you are lucky enough to receive "the call").

The posting of the exact start date is absolutely disgraceful, irresponsible and shameful.

No comments on this post, or on the post for which the infraction has been issued.

Back on-topic please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

I'm in the batch of AC delays are people who are through and done the pca now doing medical or online learning first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

psni_lad wrote: »
    I'm in the batch of AC delays are people who are through and done the pca now doing medical or online learning first?

Medical and online learning overlap. Or at least they do for me.

psni_lad wrote: »
    Online learning started a couple of weeks before medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Has anyone had theirs yet?
    Howd it go did they say that you pass/fail the medical there and then?
    Mine is next week!!

• Advertisement

student15 wrote: »
    Has anyone had theirs yet?
    Howd it go did they say that you pass/fail the medical there and then?
    Mine is next week!!
    It says on your medical letter that you wont be informed at the venue whether you've passed or not. So it will be a letter or email I'd say.

Advertisement