Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

whatinthe wrote: »
    It says on your medical letter that you wont be informed at the venue whether you've passed or not. So it will be a letter or email I'd say.

Correct! Sorry had a mind blank!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

student15 wrote: »
    Correct! Sorry had a mind blank!!
    I hear a blank mind is an automatic fail!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

You'll get a letter few days after medical letting you know if a pass or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oncallwannabie

Hey im through to the medicals stage but havent seen this forum before!
    It excites me to be honest ha. Hoping I can get into the depot with you guys.

I have a question though I was once spiked on a night out about a year ago will this come up on the drugs screen. Im not a drug user nor do I smoke.
    Oh and also does alcohol use come up on it? Or caffeine use etc

Thanks!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

I have a question though I was once spiked on a night out about a year ago will this come up on the drugs screen. Im not a drug user nor do I smoke.

Thanks!!!!!

No, no and no lol

• Advertisement

Thanks!!!!!

Substances stay in your hair forever. If they are present at the time the hair is produced, that little minuscule sliver of hair grown at that time will retain it. But they clip hair from the base, and take approx 3 cm to test. That is around 3 months worth of hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Substances stay in your hair forever. If they are present at the time the hair is produced, that little minuscule sliver of hair grown at that time will retain it. But they clip hair from the base, and take approx 3 cm to test. That is around 3 months worth of hair.

Just out of curiosity, what substances do they test for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

whatinthe wrote: »
    I hear a blank mind is an automatic fail!:pac:

Very good; )!

Medical done. Now more waiting.... Nothing more I can do now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

How'd the eye test go?

• Advertisement

aeternus wrote: »
    How'd the eye test go?

Fine I think. They don't say too much. But I panicked over nothing really. Feeling good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LtCustard

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Fine I think. They don't say too much. But I panicked over nothing really. Feeling good.

How long did it take ?

LtCustard wrote: »
    How long did it take ?

Hour or so. If even, they were very good. I was early and they got everything going before my appointment time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Well you're over the worst, I'm jealous, all the best!

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Hour or so. If even, they were very good. I was early and they got everything going before my appointment time.

Got mine very very soon, nervous and don't know why, what's traffic like down round there like busy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

Got mine very very soon, nervous and don't know why, what's traffic like down round there like busy ?

Traffic down there isn't good atm due to A2 road works. Rush hour is crazy. So depends on time and direction. From the big smoke it isnt bad in the am but into big smoke direction is. I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sofia2011

I read back through the earlier posts and a few years back people said you had to strip to your underwear for the medical. Is this still the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

Sofia2011 wrote: »
    I read back through the earlier posts and a few years back people said you had to strip to your underwear for the medical. Is this still the case?

Thats what the letter states won't know for a while yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Constablemaybe

It's still the case!!

Not so nice for the girls! ! Though always the possibility of a female doctor lol

• Advertisement

Not so nice for the girls! ! Though always the possibility of a female doctor lol

It's only for a minute it's not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Medical done earlier, people taking it were really nice! Took approximately an hour! Let the next waiting game begin now lol

Def still the case!

Do they test lung function ?

Lung capacity! And listen with a stethoscope!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stephen142

Yes they test lung capacity. Safe to say I won't be smoking any fegs on the day before the medical at all, lol

Anyone know if I can use hair gel? Or will hair gel / hair spray contaminate the hair sample?
    I phoned OHW earlier and they wouldn't give me an answer because they don't do the test themselves.

stephen142 wrote: »
    Yes they test lung capacity. Safe to say I won't be smoking any fegs on the day before the medical at all, lol

Anyone know if I can use hair gel? Or will hair gel / hair spray contaminate the hair sample?
    I phoned OHW earlier and they wouldn't give me an answer because they don't do the test themselves.

I had hair gel in and nothing was asked or said to me about it! Contact randox Belfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jontkd

I had my medical today, bloody Dr. forgot to tick three boxes on my questionnaire, so now i need to get another on filled in ASAP.
    I asked the guy doing the hair samples if hair was the best thing to do the test with and he told me that they can test back as far as 31 months with hair!!!

stephen142 wrote: »

Oh bugger im currently recovering from a chest infection tho my breathing seems fine, was more worried about the decongestant spiking my blood pressure so stopped them a few days ago

As for the drugs test I can roughly remember my analytical chemistry lectures at uni, hair drug testing is pretty accurate and gives a good time frame of drug use and the amounts taken, say any guy thats been doing anything wrong in the last 3 months will defo flag up

• Advertisement

jontkd wrote: »
    I had my medical today, bloody Dr. forgot to tick three boxes on my questionnaire, so now i need to get another on filled in ASAP.
    I asked the guy doing the hair samples if hair was the best thing to do the test with and he told me that they can test back as far as 31 months with hair!!!

You will be panicking a few people I bet ha :)

They only take a 3cm sample - it tests the past 3 months approximately.

Advertisement