Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

I'm now nervous about mine. It was yesterday but I need to supply more evidence of previous conditions that had one diagnosis and now have another. First was bad second rather trivial and I dont know now whether I'm in bother

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mstar

Thanks gmck, good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I asked a similar q regarding anti depressants a while back, good to hear you passed despite having taken them at some point, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mstar

I had assumed that a diagnosed depression related illness would be an issue, but I know so many people who have been prescribed medication for stress etc I didn't think it could be an automatic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭aeternus

I do feel if they have never affected your job or your ability to work and that you have never been off with stress related issues that it should not be an automatic fail. From reading previous posts even those who have failed due to this have appealed and with supporting evidence passed. Good luck all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

To anyone appealing their medical please take note of the date it was sent! If it's 14days from when it was dated then submit your intent to appeal ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Hope you're still within your time to appeal Picture, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

.S. wrote: »
    Hope you're still within your time to appeal Picture, good luck

Should be, letter arrived yesterday but is dated the 20th! I have 14 days to submit my intent, it's just something people should be careful of!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Passed! Have to say PSNI are pretty efficient, results came out quick! I was expecting a wait of 2 weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

Very worried about the antidepressants thing a few years back I couldn't sleep and the doctor didn't wanna give me sleepers she kept encouraging me to take anti depressants, I insisted I wasn't depressed, we compromised on an antidepressant that also helped you sleep. I took it for around 3 years as it was extremely difficult to.come off due to side effects.

I eventually weaned myself off in Sept 2011 and have never taken them since. I've also had post natal depression in the past around 8 years ago.

Never even considered past medication would pose a problem :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Charlie211

I'm in a similar position missy me.. Can anyone give any advice regarding this? Is taking antidepressants a total write off? Have any this campaign passed medical after using anti d's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Hi friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nodrogs11

Guys I was In a car crash last year ,minor but I got painkiller from the doctor and no further action needed. Probably worrying too much but can anybody foresee a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Bob Law wrote: »
    Hi friends :)

Hey Bob, glad to both be here after PCA today! Were you the guy who went first? Wonder how long we will be waiting for it medical date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr Crimson

Hi

Is anyone from the first batch of passes still waiting on their medical results?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Mr Crimson wrote: »
    Hi

Is anyone from the first batch of passes still waiting on their medical results?

Don't think so. I think tony1985 was the last to do his and he received his result within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr Crimson

I sat my medical but I had to supply further information which I posted on the same day. It would be good to hear from them to know if I've passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

Mr Crimson wrote: »
    Hi

I was but rang today to get result. If you need number pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KissMyAxe

Is the % of body fat measured in the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

KissMyAxe wrote: »
    Is the % of body fat measured in the medical?

Only if your BMI is above 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 KissMyAxe

Thanks gmck26. Just out of interest then why are you weighed at the PCA if this is checked at the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭gmck26

KissMyAxe wrote: »
    Thanks gmck26. Just out of interest then why are you weighed at the PCA if this is checked at the medical?

From what I remember they didnt check my weight at PCA. I just wrote it down along with height on form. They probably get you to write it down there to check your honesty.

I think on the criteria it says - if you bmi is above 30 & your body fat is more than 5% above their limit & you appear overweight it leads to rejection. Therefore if bmi below 30 they don't check the other parts as you have slready passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Waghorn

Anyone have any problems with their BMI in their medical? It's a little hazy the guidelines 'appear to be overweight'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Orrzo

I currently work in a medical background and lately BMI is only used as a rough guide to a persons body composition. This is due to the BMI index's inability to take into account as mentioned body fat levels and and muscle mass. For example, i am 22y.o. Male, around 5ft 10 and currently weigh 95kg. A standard BMI calculation would suggest that i was heavily overweight and not to far off obesity ...( a BMI of 30, automatic fail.) however, what the BMI calculation does not take into account is my true body composition. I happen to have a very muscular build and visible abdominal muscles (which suggests my body fat % is reasonably low despite my weight being on the heavy side and my BMI suggesting im 'overweight') Therefore this is why the clause has been written in about body fat % AND whether a person appears to be overweight at the medical. So, if you are in the high end of the bmi scale however this is due to muscle mass and bodyfat is relatively low, they should/will recognise this as offsetting your BMI. However if you are carrying considerable excess fat this may cause problems at the medical. Hope this helps guys and girls. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

i'd agree-- BMI does not take into fact body composition/ muscle mass or fitness --
    i'm 5' 5" and 14 stone.....so my BMI has me as clinically obese, even though I have trained my whole life and currently 5 mornings intense training a week ..

it will be up to all to prove that they can carry out any phyiscal activity required of the job--- high BMI will just get a little extra attention ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

could anyone who has been through the medical so far say how it is done? As in do they request your medical history from your GP? Or does it all go on what their own findings are unless there is a particular point they are worried about. Also has anyone with diabetes passed medical in this round?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Your GP will have an input on the medical. There are forms to send to him/her. It asks for pretty detailed history and diagnosed conditions/vaccinations. However a lot of it is self reporting which is verified by a Doctor on the day of the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Waghorn

How long after passing PCA does the medical test date letter take to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

Waghorn wrote: »
    How long after passing PCA does the medical test date letter take to arrive?

I'm wondering this too...I passed mid last week and received my online learning info but nothing about medical as of yet. Are you in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

Same here

Advertisement