Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Waghorn

221988 wrote: »
    I'm wondering this too...I passed mid last week and received my online learning info but nothing about medical as of yet. Are you in the same boat?

Yeah same. I did hear it was about 1.5 weeks until the letter arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

I'm also keeping an eye out for the postie bringing my medical date. Although to be honest I'm in no rush seeing as I've been ill since I did my PCA!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

19087 wrote: »
    I'm also keeping an eye out for the postie bringing my medical date. Although to be honest I'm in no rush seeing as I've been ill since I did my PCA!

Me too! Chesty cough ever since. I couldn't get rid of the weird blood taste for a couple of days either. Not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Would i pass the medical with this tattoo ? :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/QgNyiBb.jpg

Naturally enough, it's not me! Seen it on reddit :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Haha very good :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Sdcharger

Filling out my medical forms here. There is a question, "have you had any past or current history of the following? Any conditions affecting your bones including fractures, or joints such as arthritis with either leading to dysfuntion or disability" not sure how to interpret the question. I broke my leg as a child but fully healed in a few months and not lasting condition. Do i mention it or does it mean only if it has left you permanently dysfuntional or disabled. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

Sdcharger wrote: »
    Filling out my medical forms here. There is a question, "have you had any past or current history of the following? Any conditions affecting your bones including fractures, or joints such as arthritis with either leading to dysfuntion or disability" not sure how to interpret the question. I broke my leg as a child but fully healed in a few months and not lasting condition. Do i mention it or does it mean only if it has left you permanently dysfuntional or disabled. Thanks

Declare everything mate, they'll only tell you that you didn't have to. Better them saying that than the asking why you didn't say anything.

I took it that you only need to declare things that caused dysfunction or disability. I've had one broken limb and one dislocation , I only put in about the dislocation as it eventually required surgery. But if in doubt just put it in anyway I guess!

Having done my fair share of medicals for various roles, you really are best declaring everything.

Honesty and integrity and all that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

19087 wrote: »
    I took it that you only need to declare things that caused dysfunction or disability. I've had one broken limb and one dislocation , I only put in about the dislocation as it eventually required surgery. But if in doubt just put it in anyway I guess!

I also was unsure of this question. I put down that I broke my arm as a kid (fully healed again) but about 4 years ago twisted my knee, partially tore ligaments but no surgery needed. I have fully recovered and exercise three times a week again for the past 3 years. Because the question mentions bones and not muscles /tendons /ligaments I was unsure whether to mention it, any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

I recently passed medical and nurse doing pre exam said it was best to declare anything. I've had fair share of sports injuries knee ligaments, hamstring etc. I declared them all and just got gp to include discharge letters from physio and consultants I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 s313

Anyone know how long it takes from passing the pca to getting a date for the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Prenty

s313 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes from passing the pca to getting a date for the medical?

Hi all, passed PCA last week, got my medical date this morning so seems to be about a turnaround of a week or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

maybe all starting to move along again....cheers
    oh, and well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 s313

Prenty wrote: »
    Hi all, passed PCA last week, got my medical date this morning so seems to be about a turnaround of a week or so
    Hopefully hear soon then passed the pca start of last week and just waiting to hear back!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

I got a date for the medical near the end of the month

I also got a medical date today!!

Aye mine came through today as well. Finally! Seems like it's been an age.

I wonder when our start date will be, subject to passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tdoc25315

I just came across some stuff on the internet that has me seriously worried, I'm waiting on a medical date which I'm assuming will be near to the end of the month like others receiving letters today (had PCA recently) and for the past week I've been on painkillers for a bad toothache. The problem is that they contain codeine (not sure if I can post brand names on here but you put them in a glass with water and they fizz) and now I'm at panic stations in case I fail my medical if they think I've been on hard stuff like morphine or heroin. Can anyone advise or settle my nerves at all? This is my dream job and I don't want it taken away by some over the counter painkillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

tdoc25315 wrote: »
    I just came across some stuff on the internet that has me seriously worried, I'm waiting on a medical date which I'm assuming will be near to the end of the month like others receiving letters today (had PCA recently) and for the past week I've been on painkillers for a bad toothache. The problem is that they contain codeine (not sure if I can post brand names on here but you put them in a glass with water and they fizz) and now I'm at panic stations in case I fail my medical if they think I've been on hard stuff like morphine or heroin. Can anyone advise or settle my nerves at all? This is my dream job and I don't want it taken away by some over the counter painkillers.

You tell them any medications you have been taking - prescription or not - they can then take it into account in the test - I wouldn't worry about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Orrzo

Im currently working in pharmacy and i can assure you that OTC painkillers will not ring any alarm bells at a medical. Unless youre popping them every 2 mins in front of the doc!....without boring you to death with pharmaceutical mumbo jumbo these are not the kind of drugs they will be looking for...and heroin / cocaine are entirely different classes from that of codeine :) calm your jets :p

wanadrum wrote: »
    You tell them any medications you have been taking - prescription or not - they can then take it into account in the test - I wouldn't worry about it!!

Thanks wanadrum, the tooth still hasn't settled but I'll be going off them so it gets out of my system a bit! I just connected the dots in my head that codeine/morphine/heroin are all the same family and did a bit of research and found reports of people failing urine tests due to these tablets (or even poppy seed bagels!) But I'll make sure to disclose me taking them and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't pose any issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Thanks wanadrum, the tooth still hasn't settled but I'll be going off them so it gets out of my system a bit! I just connected the dots in my head that codeine/morphine/heroin are all the same family and did a bit of research and found reports of people failing urine tests due to these tablets (or even poppy seed bagels!) But I'll make sure to disclose me taking them and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't pose any issues!

The drugs mmisuse test is carried out on a hair sample so there is no getting it out of your system - still don't think it is anything to worry about as long as you tell them what you have been taking.

Orrzo wrote: »
    Im currently working in pharmacy and i can assure you that OTC painkillers will not ring any alarm bells at a medical. Unless youre popping them every 2 mins in front of the doc!....without boring you to death with pharmaceutical mumbo jumbo these are not the kind of drugs they will be looking for...and heroin / cocaine are entirely different classes from that of codeine :) calm your jets :p

Cheers Orrzo I really appreciate your input! :) I think everyone here is in the same boat that we don't want any issues whatsoever affecting our applications so I think I was due a loopy turn! (Probably jealousy over not getting my letter today like the rest of people at my PCA! :P) thanks though mate that's settled my nerves a lot! (And if there's any issues I'll be referring them to your comment! :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LtCustard

Orrzo wrote: »

Just outta interest are u a fellow pharmacist looking a career change ?

Cheers Orrzo I really appreciate your input! :) I think everyone here is in the same boat that we don't want any issues whatsoever affecting our applications so I think I was due a loopy turn! (Probably jealousy over not getting my letter today like the rest of people at my PCA! :P) thanks though mate that's settled my nerves a lot! (And if there's any issues I'll be referring them to your comment! :P )
    Dont make the Doc hate me before ive even had my own medica lol!
    In simple terms heroin, morphine and codeine are all opiates. However codeine is a considerably weaker opiate than morphine and heroin. Taking codeine at a therapeutic dose shouldnt ring any alarm bells ....however it would if it became apparent through your hair sample that large amounts of codeine had been abused for a long period of time - if tested for it would show abuse of opiates. My advice - get off the pills, go to see the dentist :) oh and good luck!

LtCustard wrote: »
    Just outta interest are u a fellow pharmacist looking a career change ?

Hi LtCustard,
    Not quite a pharmacist unfortunately, ive always wanted to be a police officer and this is my first chance at going for it due to age/ lack of recruitment. Sooo yeah, fingers crossed ill not be counting out pills too much longer!....are you one of the lucky few who have been offered a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

I've had my medical and nurse there warned me my decongestant was "illegal" in the SMT. But if I declared it it would be fine. Randox do the test and won't declare to the police what meds you declare . The test itself will be checking that you haven't over used any med, the hair samples would show more than prescribed amounts over a 3 month period. So just declare everything is my advice. If it's not declared and shows up this will be flagged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Aw come on. There's a massive difference between morphine and diamorphine (Heroin) and there's no way would a GP be allowed to prescribe diamorphine to someone with a bad toothache by the GMC. Oxycodone, maybe, but that would be after going up from paracetamol/codeine 500/30 and it not working.

Cancer patients on their death bed are lucky to be prescribed diamorphine because there's nowhere to go from there but to give more and more until the patient eventually passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

That's a depressing start to the weekend ha

Advertisement