Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sanka

pcplod I'm in the same boat as you - passed the fitness at the start of the month and impatiently waiting for the postman.

Getting nervous that this means I could be waiting quite some time for a start date - I passed the AC with 70 so im low down on the second batch :S

Has anyone got their medical date who got a similiar score to my AC and did their PCA early this month??

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

Sanka wrote: »
    pcplod I'm in the same boat as you - passed the fitness at the start of the month and impatiently waiting for the postman.

Getting nervous that this means I could be waiting quite some time for a start date - I passed the AC with 70 so im low down on the second batch :S

Has anyone got their medical date who got a similiar score to my AC and did their PCA early this month??

Cheers

Passed pca early this month and got 72 in AC and received medical date over a week ago. Medical itself week after next.

What PCA session where you at? I know there were some people who received their medical date a week before me so maybe sending out dates in batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Could have something to do with the vetting forms coming back. If your vetting has come back they can then progress with medical etc. No idea if this is true or not, just a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sanka

My PCA was the afternoon session on the 4th. Vetting got back to me ages ago to ask about housemates birthdays so I think that's all cleared...

I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs for a while :S

Tell you what though - I'll be glad to see the first course start so that it feels like this is starting to progress somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ClareRose47

Can anyone with dodgy eyesight like myself, who has their medical soon, please let me know what checks they do and if all the talk regarding being able to get laser eye surgery if you don't meet unaided requirements etc is true? Im -3.5 in both eyes and doubt I meet the unaided vision and if I need laser I'd like to know soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 burgerburger

Can anyone with dodgy eyesight like myself, who has their medical soon, please let me know what checks they do and if all the talk regarding being able to get laser eye surgery if you don't meet unaided requirements etc is true? Im -3.5 in both eyes and doubt I meet the unaided vision and if I need laser I'd like to know soon!

You are asked to read a Snellen chart. You will also have to read a few lines from a book with small font. There's a colour blindness test also. I was -4.0 in each eye and got laser done prior to my medical.

The required standards are

Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    Normal visual fields
    Sever colour deficiency not acceptable

Your best bet is to phone your optician and ask if you would meet these requirements, or even book in for an eye test.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Anybody with tattoos been for the medical? If so is it at this stage they look at their suitability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

Unaided vision is +/- 1.25. I was -5 but got laser surgery last year in preparation for this. Maybe they'll give you time to get the surgery before GV

Thanks guys just want to know for the next campaign.

Regarding colour blindness, I see severe deficiency is not allowed. I think I may have a less severe form of colour blindness so not sure how I would know if it's acceptable.

I did a colour blind test at my opticians, however it was very relaxed and ended up doing it twice so kinda remembered the answers and passed lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

I'm lucky enough to be in the first batch and had the medical a few months back! I was worrying away about the eyesight, I'm -3.5 in both eyes as well unaided so I was panicking! It's nothing to worry about you will be fine :-) I went in to see the optician before the medical and he said the same! It's a standard eye test, left eye/ right eye/ both, colour vision test and reading a passage! I had no issues at all and I'm as blind as a bat without my lenses lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Cromlech wrote: »
    Anybody with tattoos been for the medical? If so is it at this stage they look at their suitability?

Have a kanji tattoo full length of spine and I don't even think the doc noticed it at the medical lol

Have a kanji tattoo full length of spine and I don't even think the doc noticed it at the medical lol

I have two on my lower arms, which I'm concerned about going against me. I am in the process of lasering them, but I don't know if it will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Unless your tatts are controversial they shouldn't go against you. I've one on my lower arm, first time applying so asked lots about if it would be ok and was told it should be grand. Basically unless they're offensive it's all good.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I'm lucky enough to be in the first batch and had the medical a few months back! I was worrying away about the eyesight, I'm -3.5 in both eyes as well unaided so I was panicking! It's nothing to worry about you will be fine :-) I went in to see the optician before the medical and he said the same! It's a standard eye test, left eye/ right eye/ both, colour vision test and reading a passage! I had no issues at all and I'm as blind as a bat without my lenses lol

Oh really that's brilliant glad to know I won't be under pressure to get laser thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

I had my medical this morning, anybody know how long it takes to hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

221988 wrote: »
    I had my medical this morning, anybody know how long it takes to hear?

In the hearing test you should hear the beep straight away if ur home and waiting on the beep still, I don't think you have passed

Mr.Peanut wrote: »
    In the hearing test you should hear the beep straight away if ur home and waiting on the beep still, I don't think you have passed

Any need??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

There's always a need for a bit of humour to lighten the day, someone did their medical last week and got pass a week later. So usually a week. Is that better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

MEOW!

• Advertisement

Mr.Peanut wrote: »
    There's always a need for a bit of humour to lighten the day, someone did their medical last week and got pass a week later. So usually a week. Is that better?

Much, thanks :-) sensitive subject...my hearing one

221988 wrote: »
    Much, thanks :-) sensitive subject...my hearing one

Sorry...my hearing in one of my ears isn't great apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Wannabebigger

Has anyone from mid April's medical batch heard anything re SMT? How much longer after online learning closes can we expect to hear anything phone call wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

Has anyone from mid April's medical batch heard anything re SMT? How much longer after online learning closes can we expect to hear anything phone call wise?

You only hear back from SMT if there is a problem as far as I know. The turnaround for testing is about two weeks. No news is good news on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Wannabebigger

Thanks mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeful34

It takes 7 days for results of SMT to come back. The medical itself unless there are any complications results are out within a few days to a week. Or at least we're for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Got medical date this morning, anyone else on the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

pcplod wrote: »
    Got medical date this morning, anyone else on the same boat?

Long time lurker first time poster. What AC score did you get? Its been almost 4 weeks since my PCA and I havent heard anything. I got 70%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Got 72% in my ac, 2nd pass batch

• Advertisement

Has anyone on here failed their medical? I might be the first! Due to something really strange. Wondering about the process to appeal? Anyone in the same boat?

Advertisement