Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

i got MHQ out in post today :)
    yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

bobbin88 wrote: »
    i got MHQ out in post today :)
    yay.

Well done. After a slow start there appear to be more and more of us getting dates for medicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

what do you need to explain in your medical form, do you fill in for example if you broke a bone anytime in your life and then elaborate in the space provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

all set for my medical next week now!
    even got new boxers!!:D
    All this effort better pay off!

ditto, got myself a nice new pair of boxers as well! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

You think thats bad??!!

I was initially declined in my medical - one of the reasons was that when i was 15 the doc diagnosed me with depression.

This obviously came up on my medical and gave them grounds to decline me. I appealed and i had to have a psychologist give me a bit of paper to say i wasn't mental. I had to go for an interview with the head shrink, it lasted 40 mins. I was charged £400 for the interview and report. Thats £10.00 per minute!!!!!

Buuuut i got in, so although it was worth the money it was still a bitter pill to swallow! :D

oh bugger..........i feel i may have something similar in my records - the doctor gave me some happy pills when i was about 19 or so. dont know if it will show up on my records as an episode of depression - i didnt get a repeat prescription. ARGHH! whats the score with all that mental stuff on the medical front? mercy! its just one thing after another!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BadCopGingerCop

Hi Folks, aint been on in a wee while. Passed my vetting and received a letter about medical.

One question, I have hernia, its a small one and is treated symptomatically with medication. Does anyone think this should be a problem during the medical. Beyond that, I'm in good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

I had a hernia but it was fixed a year before the medical. There is a link to a list of medical conditions on here somewhere explaining exactly what is acceptable and whats not.

I cant say for sure but I think if you still have the hernia its unlikely you would pass the medical. Cant say for certain though

Ah right, that's not good news. It's being treated symptomatically as they feel it isn't big enough to be operated on.

Out of curiousity, to get yours treated did you have to go private?

Speak to your doc about it, if it cant be operated on then maybe its ok as it is, im by no means an expert. i got mine done on NHS, had to wait 8 months.

Cool mate, cheers for the prompt advice. I've noted all the details down and will speak to the Doc about it.

Did you get in then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Hi Folks, aint been on in a wee while. Passed my vetting and received a letter about medical.

One question, I have hernia, its a small one and is treated symptomatically with medication. Does anyone think this should be a problem during the medical. Beyond that, I'm in good shape.

Hi badcopgingercop well done passing your vetting and getting a med date. Is that the vetting for C14 or C13?

Cool mate, cheers for the prompt advice. I've noted all the details down and will speak to the Doc about it.

Did you get in then?

Yeah got in starting 12th october. Get yourself checked out now sooner rather than later and good luck

That vetting and medical was for C14, are you still waiting on C13?

Cheers for the advice GCBC!

That vetting and medical was for C14, are you still waiting on C13?

Cheers for the advice GCBC!

No Im waiting on C14 medical. That was very quick for them to have completed your vetting already, its lokking good for you for a quick start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gaz1234

hey GCGC, did they contact you telling you that you have passed the vetting stage?

cheers gaz

owen1976 wrote: »
    No Im waiting on C14 medical. That was very quick for them to have completed your vetting already, its lokking good for you for a quick start.

I'm at the same stage as BadCopGingerCop. Receiving a medical date is not a sign that your vetting has been completed.... unfortunately.

No Gaz, I never received a phone call or letter 100% confirming I passed the vetting. However I'm thinking that as it said, "We are pleased to inform you....." it might mean I passed it.

Although as you said Carlty, theres no guarantees at all. Chances are they pair both vetting and medical up to speed up the process.

Who knows, back to the 9-5 for now. Tryin not to think about it too much, if it comes it comes.

No Gaz, I never received a phone call or letter 100% confirming I passed the vetting. However I'm thinking that as it said, "We are pleased to inform you....." it might mean I passed it.

Although as you said Carlty, theres no guarantees at all. Chances are they pair both vetting and medical up to speed up the process.

Who knows, back to the 9-5 for now. Tryin not to think about it too much, if it comes it comes.

In C13 I got invited to a medical a couple of weeks after getting my vetting forms. I rang a few weeks ago and found out that my vetting was never processed. I'm afraid that suggests that the vetting and medicals run side by side and that getting a medical date doesn't mean that we've cleared the vetting hurdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

carlty888 wrote: »
    In C13 I got invited to a medical a couple of weeks after getting my vetting forms. I rang a few weeks ago and found out that my vetting was never processed. I'm afraid that suggests that the vetting and medicals run side by side and that getting a medical date doesn't mean that we've cleared the vetting hurdle.

This is correct!! Phoned up PSNI other day and they informed me that they where sending out vet forms in near future. She also said that the vetting and medical stage will run side by side to speed process up!!!

Ah right, well that it sorted then. Fingers crossed folks!

• Advertisement

why was your vetting never processed did they give you reason

why was your vetting never processed did they give you reason

Soon after I got the vetting and medical they realised that I wasn't high enough up the merit list to stand a chance. They stopped the vetting and sent out the "Dear John.". It made sense. No point vetting someone who's got one of those letters in their hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

I've had my medical for C14!
    No indications of there being anything wrong with me, just need to wait 2 weeks for the results of med and drugs test.
    New boxers were a good investment!!

I've had my medical for C14!
    No indications of there being anything wrong with me, just need to wait 2 weeks for the results of med and drugs test.
    New boxers were a good investment!!

All you can do now is go back to waiting!! How long did it take for the medical?

bout and hour and a half, though they said that was because if was the first day of them and everything was all messed up.
    ps. the guy who does the drug test would talk the hind legs off a donkey!!

Considering phoning vetting to see what the progress is, maybe a bad idea though. Anyone know if they get angry at you for phoning?
    I submitted it round about the end of june.

You could ring them but I dont think they will tell you much yet. I never rang about my vetting once, just assumed it must of went through ok in its own time and it did. Unless you have been living in the south for a while it shouldnt be delayed.

I haven't lived anywhere outside N.Ireland, just concerned that my sisters living in mainland will cause a holdup!

well if that is the case then you might have some delays. Shouldnt be too long though. Still a a bit away from the first intake so another few months to get it sorted anyway. I wouldnt worry about it until december when the intakes are being sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shaz200828

OMG i got my medical letter!!! I'm so chuffed especially with me just being made redundant last week!! They dont give you much notice rang docs to get app and most of them are on holiday......so I cant get my own doctor to fill out my form........ does anyone know if that matters??

• Advertisement

shaz200828 wrote: »
    OMG i got my medical letter!!! I'm so chuffed especially with me just being made redundant last week!! They dont give you much notice rang docs to get app and most of them are on holiday......so I cant get my own doctor to fill out my form........ does anyone know if that matters??

Congratulations!!! :DTo answer your question I dont think it has to be your usual GP, as long as the person you see has acess to your medical records it should be ok!

Advertisement