Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crinkley

I know I'm not the person you asked but I'd just advise you, I'm -2.5 in one eye and -2.75 in the other and I was seriously seriously borderline for a fail. As far as I'm aware you need to get down to the third line on the eye chart and then be able to read a passage from a book, both of which were super difficult for me. I had to guess a few letters but fortune must've been smiling on me that day since I did pass lol my advice would be though if your prescription is equal to or worse than mine, get the laser eye. It's not worth getting this far to fail on something that's easily remedied. If I'm lucky enough to get a phone call I intend to get mine done before I start.

Thanks a million, tried it at home if I don't wear my glasses I'm fine but eyes take ages to readjust. Think if I get as far as vetting I'll get it done before medical, would be such a kick in the gut

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

crinkley wrote: »
    Thanks a million, tried it at home if I don't wear my glasses I'm fine but eyes take ages to readjust. Think if I get as far as vetting I'll get it done before medical, would be such a kick in the gut

No problem! Happy to give someone a helping hand :) the nurse was actually great with me terms of the eye issue. I was upfront saying I was worried and she was the one who suggested taking them off and then doing everything else first (like the lung capacity check) to give them time to adjust, so maybe doing that could help you out as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

Sthm wrote: »
    Without meaning to steer off topic - if you don't mind me asking, is there a group 4 on the online learning? Any group 5 etc?

Group 4 opened last week, can only see a group 3 and 4 at the minute, but group 4 wasn't listed to the last batch who did their online learning so I wouldn't take anything from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Clare1304 wrote: »
    Group 4 opened last week, can only see a group 3 and 4 at the minute, but group 4 wasn't listed to the last batch who did their online learning so I wouldn't take anything from it.

Brilliant. Cheers for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

Found out at the weekend I've been confirmed as fit after my appeal! So if anyone fails the medical definitely appeal it! No idea where this has left me though :-( has there only been one intake so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

221988 wrote: »
    Found out at the weekend I've been confirmed as fit after my appeal! So if anyone fails the medical definitely appeal it! No idea where this has left me though :-( has there only been one intake so far?

What had you failed on? Second group had been contacted a few weeks ago, so next group will be third.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

What had you failed on? Second group had been contacted a few weeks ago, so next group will be third.

I had kidney infection, no symptoms at the time of testing but they failed me. Sorted now though.

So annoying that everything has been passed and it's just a waiting game now!

221988 wrote: »
    I had kidney infection, no symptoms at the time of testing but they failed me. Sorted now though.

So annoying that everything has been passed and it's just a waiting game now!

Happy days! Well good luck to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ClareRose47

Thanks to the people talking about the eyesight. I had previously asked this question and someone had commented that with my vision (-3.50 in each eye) I would be fine as they passed the medical. Which was clearly absolutely incorrect information.

I came on to check again as I had queried it at an information session and they said i wouldn't be likely to pass. Also other rumours on here that the PSNI allow you time to get laser surgery before starting is rubbish too.

My advice guys - any questions you need answers to can be answered by Deloitte or by attending an information session. I have emailed them and they have been helpful and prompt in their replies. I know a lot of the info on here is helpful but some of it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crinkley

Thanks to the people talking about the eyesight. I had previously asked this question and someone had commented that with my vision (-3.50 in each eye) I would be fine as they passed the medical. Which was clearly absolutely incorrect information.

I came on to check again as I had queried it at an information session and they said i wouldn't be likely to pass. Also other rumours on here that the PSNI allow you time to get laser surgery before starting is rubbish too.

My advice guys - any questions you need answers to can be answered by Deloitte or by attending an information session. I have emailed them and they have been helpful and prompt in their replies. I know a lot of the info on here is helpful but some of it is not.

Would you have time to get the laser done before the medical after vetting? How much notice do they give you for the medical? I have a consultation about the laser eye in a couple of weeks so will check to them about how lot before you're 20/20 or at least enough to pass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

It states on the psni website eyesight should be no worse than -1.25 to pass the eye test. I was -5 but got laser surgery months in advance of the process. I would suggest anyone with a worse prescription than above and serious about getting into the force to get laser surgery as soon as they can before the final stages of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

It states on the psni website eyesight should be no worse than -1.25 to pass the eye test. I was -5 but got laser surgery months in advance of the process. I would suggest anyone with a worse prescription than above and serious about getting into the force to get laser surgery as soon as they can before the final stages of the process.

Where on the website is that?

ptsb1 wrote: »
    Where on the website is that?

psni.police.uk/index/careers/careers_police_officer_recruitment/careers_pre_employment_medical/ohw_current_standards.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

I must be more blind than I thought because I'm still not seeing any information regarding prescriptions?

Dekkers wrote: »
    I must be more blind than I thought because I'm still not seeing any information regarding prescriptions?

It's under unaided vision

It's under unaided vision

Is it? :confused: lol I'm getting the impression that something is swooping right over my head here.

This is all it says with regards to vision:

• Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    • Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    • Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    • Normal visual fields
    • Sever colour deficiency not acceptable

Dekkers wrote: »
    Is it? :confused: lol I'm getting the impression that something is swooping right over my head here.

This is all it says with regards to vision:

• Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    • Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    • Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    • Normal visual fields
    • Sever colour deficiency not acceptable

Unaided acuity 6/36 basically means a prescription of -1.25. I worked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

Unaided acuity 6/36 basically means a prescription of -1.25. I worked it out.

I must check this out as it does not seem right. 6/36 means you can see at 6 metres what someone else can see at 36 metres, I think that must be a lot more than a -1.25 prescription. How did you work it out as I can't find an easy formula.

Why not bring requirements to optician and get a free eye test?

May relieve some worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

ptsb1 wrote: »
    I must check this out as it does not seem right. 6/36 means you can see at 6 metres what someone else can see at 36 metres, I think that must be a lot more than a -1.25 prescription. How did you work it out as I can't find an easy formula.

definately isn't right, im -1.25/-1.5, eyesight was grand in the medical (without glasses) only ever use them for reading, even then they are probably the weakest pair ever manufactured. There's no way the requirement would be that strict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Like I said before, -2.5 is when it starts to get really tight. I did exactly what a previous poster suggested and went to the opticians with the requirements and got my eyes tested as well and he said it was basically 50/50. He said if they allow you to squint to make your vision that sight bit better you could scrape a pass but if they don't I'm in trouble. Fortunately, the nurse didn't say anything about me squinting lol so like I said, -2.5 or worse, get the eyes sorted. It's as simple as that.

Like I said before, -2.5 is when it starts to get really tight. I did exactly what a previous poster suggested and went to the opticians with the requirements and got my eyes tested as well and he said it was basically 50/50. He said if they allow you to squint to make your vision that sight bit better you could scrape a pass but if they don't I'm in trouble. Fortunately, the nurse didn't say anything about me squinting lol so like I said, -2.5 or worse, get the eyes sorted. It's as simple as that.

I'm a bit like yourself so. Optician says it could go either way.

Could do without this extra jeopardy!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PT93

Wondering if anyone could help me. I re-registered with my old GP in N.I. again about 4 weeks ago. Problem is, I was registered in England previously and my medical records may still be still transferring over. My medical is in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if my GP hasn't got access to these yet because of this legitimate reason (i.e. they're still transferring over), and he fills out the part of the form he has to, that he has previously been my GP, will soon be in possession of the records etc and believes what I have written to be true, would this potentially cause any problems? I've only had one or two minor things before which my GP is aware of and I have mentioned in the form. I'm young and have no health problems.
    Am I worrying over nothing or do I have cause for concern? Don't want to fail or be delayed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

PT93 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone could help me. I re-registered with my old GP in N.I. again about 4 weeks ago. Problem is, I was registered in England previously and my medical records may still be still transferring over. My medical is in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if my GP hasn't got access to these yet because of this legitimate reason (i.e. they're still transferring over), and he fills out the part of the form he has to, that he has previously been my GP, will soon be in possession of the records etc and believes what I have written to be true, would this potentially cause any problems? I've only had one or two minor things before which my GP is aware of and I have mentioned in the form. I'm young and have no health problems.
    Am I worrying over nothing or do I have cause for concern? Don't want to fail or be delayed :(

I can only advise / talk with reference to requesting medical notes and records - under the DPA, the Trust(s) or surgeries have 40 days to send copy notes.

Anything beyond that timescale, start chasing them.

It's definitely been long enough now, I'm going to head into my GP's Monday and tell them it's an emergency. Do you think it would cause a big problem if my GP didn't have them when I went up to the medical appointment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember there being a part in the GP's section asking how long they've known you as a patient or if they had access to your medical records and if not why not or did I imagine it? I'm sure if you fill it in accurately and the GP does his best they may just ask your GP for more info when they get it.

Yeah there is both of them parts on it, just hoping that if the records aren't there and the GP fills out why they aren't there etc but still signs the form then that'll be enough for me not to get delayed or fail
    :(

Yeah there is both of them parts on it, just hoping that if the records aren't there and the GP fills out why they aren't there etc but still signs the form then that'll be enough for me not to get delayed or fail
    :(

Stand over him with a big stick lol

Yeah I'll give that a try :D , are they friendly enough at the medical or are they like those strict 'do this, do that' types lol?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll give that a try :D , are they friendly enough at the medical or are they like those strict 'do this, do that' types lol?

I thought everyone was lovely the guy who did the hair sample was hilarious.

Advertisement