Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

I had a look at mine and it does ask.... However it also asks 'have you ever failed an army/police medical before'
    Is there anyone you can email to ask about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Redbull1990

Anyone got a medical date who passed pca last week? I scored 67 at ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PTR292

I think the usual wait is just over 4 weeks for medical invite, thats how long i had to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

Yes. I got 68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

I got 67 and received medical letter last week. Don't worry, it will come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Redbull1990

Thanks for the responses guys. Don't understand how I haven't got a date then. Il give it more time. Clearly patience isn't one of my virtues

Thanks for the responses guys. Don't understand how I haven't got a date then. Il give it more time. Clearly patience isn't one of my virtues

At some point it must be just random or luck of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

Dekkers wrote: »
    All I can really say is that I don't know but the medical questionnaire asks if you have a history of self harm. Sorry I don't have it on me at the moment so don't know the exact phrasing but I don't believe there's a time frame whereby it would be disregarded.

I think candidates with such history would be considered on a case by case basis rather than having policies in black and white (This is just a guess and I could be completely wrong)

I showed her this thread so hopefully she'll make a decision, think she's wanting into the army though and they said they'll take her if she goes for her medical again...which is good news for her :) think that's always been what she wanted

I showed her this thread so hopefully she'll make a decision, think she's wanting into the army though and they said they'll take her if she goes for her medical again...which is good news for her :) think that's always been what she wanted

Good to know!

I know what it's like to have to worry about something even before applying and I'm sorry no one in the know was able to respond but it's just one of those grey areas where they can rule either way.

So for the medical is it a proper opticians light box snellen chart or your basic wall chart?

Do they examine your eyes or just your vision?

Dreading it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

So for the medical is it a proper opticians light box snellen chart or your basic wall chart?

Do they examine your eyes or just your vision?

Dreading it!

Proper eyesight test. They also do the colour blind chart and make you read tiny writing in a book. I passed and I think my latest exam was about -1.25 in both

Mop a top wrote: »
    Proper eyesight test. They also do the colour blind chart and make you read tiny writing in a book. I passed and I think my latest exam was about -1.25 in both

Cheers mop. Think I'll start bracing myself for bowing out at this stage. Don't fancy me chances at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 loggingfolk

I think I may be in the same boat as yourself Dekkers. Im -2.0 in both eyes. I tried a basic eye chart online. One where you measure the size of the first letter on screen and the step back the appropriate distance and I just was able to make out the 6/12 with both eyes open.

I think I may be in the same boat as yourself Dekkers. Im -2.0 in both eyes. I tried a basic eye chart online. One where you measure the size of the first letter on screen and the step back the appropriate distance and I just was able to make out the 6/12 with both eyes open.

Have you been to the opticians?

I went before I applied and was told I'd be borderline fail or it could go either way etc. Went today and got different optometrist who was much less positive about a pass so I dunno what to think now!

I got new glasses a few months ago and that was my perscription. I think i will go back to them now that I have the requirements and get them to tell me. Do you know your perscription?

Cheers mop. Think I'll start bracing myself for bowing out at this stage. Don't fancy me chances at all.

Don't you bloody dare!!!!

I got new glasses a few months ago and that was my perscription. I think i will go back to them now that I have the requirements and get them to tell me. Do you know your perscription?

Yeah it's something like -3 in both. Prescription doesn't really make a difference apparently as I was told today that I would fail due to the 'nature' of my prescription rather than the strength.

Don't you bloody dare!!!!

Lol I can be as optimistic as a care bear on e but it won't get me to the bottom of a snellen chart

I thought that, that prescription isn't the whole story. Not a whole lot we can do about it now. I know I couldn't afford £1000 per eye for laser correction.

Lmfao never heard that one before. Couldn't get the bottom two rows I think :-/

• Advertisement

I thought that, that prescription isn't the whole story. Not a whole lot we can do about it now. I know I couldn't afford £1000 per eye for laser correction.

Yeah it's definitely not the be all and end all.

I looked into surgery over a year ago but I'm not a suitable candidate so it's just not in my control. Not that I can afford it either in any case lol

Lmfao never heard that one before. Couldn't get the bottom two rows I think :-/

Long as ye got to the line that mattered ha think 6/6 is 8th line or something

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

You should be grand at that prescription, I just about passed at -2.75 in both eyes. It was touch and go though for sure.

Yeah it's something like -3 in both. Prescription doesn't really make a difference apparently as I was told today that I would fail due to the 'nature' of my prescription rather than the strength.

Do you mean by nature you have astigmatism or something like that Dekkers? They don't actually check for anything like that, just cover left eye read the chart, cover right eye read the chart, then both eyes and then same again but with your glasses on. You might actually manage it as yours aren't much worse than mine :) keep the faith!

Do you mean by nature you have astigmatism or something like that Dekkers? They don't actually check for anything like that, just cover left eye read the chart, cover right eye read the chart, then both eyes and then same again but with your glasses on. You might actually manage it as yours aren't much worse than mine :) keep the faith!

Yeah something like that...under developed something or other. Vision is just short of 6/6

Yeah something like that...under developed something or other. Vision is just short of 6/6

6/6 with or without glasses? You should be fine though if it's something that isn't noticeable, they don't look in your eyes or anything! :)

6/6 with or without glasses? You should be fine though if it's something that isn't noticeable, they don't look in your eyes or anything! :)

Just short of 6/6 with glasses I mean. Unaided, near vision and the rest is grand! It's just the aided vision letting me down!

Just short of 6/6 with glasses I mean. Unaided, near vision and the rest is grand! It's just the aided vision letting me down!

I think it's second last line for 6/6, could be wrong though lol I just find it all a bit of a weird one like I would go on the Garda recruitment forum now and again just out of curiosity to see how theirs is progressing and they're going through medicals ATM where if they fail on grounds of eyesight they're given 6 months to get their eyes lasered! Which I mean if you're at that final stage where it's the final thing holding you back and you know you're guaranteed a job with corrected vision you'd be getting a loan out pronto lol although I have to say their fitness requirements seem more difficult with bleep tests and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

Dekkers roughly what is the time scale like between your pca and medical if you don't mind me asking.

• Advertisement

mahoney1 wrote: »
    Dekkers roughly what is the time scale like between your pca and medical if you don't mind me asking.

Mines is 5-6 weeks

Advertisement