Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

thanks Dekk oh and well done btw. I had my pca last week as well, wouldn't mind to progress even further. it's right what someone else said that the further you progress the more and more you want it and it takes over your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

mahoney1 wrote: »
    thanks Dekk oh and well done btw. I had my pca last week as well, wouldn't mind to progress even further. it's right what someone else said that the further you progress the more and more you want it and it takes over your life.

Cool, congrats. Were u 1st or 2nd day? You will definitely be invited to medical I think.

haha swapping between threads. yeah I was the 2nd day. was also in the one with vick as well, shame seemed a nice fella.

mahoney1 wrote: »
    haha swapping between threads. yeah I was the 2nd day. was also in the one with vick as well, shame seemed a nice fella.

Ah right just wondered. I know, I hate to see people fail when they've made it past the culls.

yeah, briefly talked to a fella there and he said it was about a 60/40 pass/fail rate for the pca. it sure culls quite a few. tough enough going, I myself succumbed to the dreaded black lung after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Was the fella a staff member or joe soap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Was the fella a staff member or joe soap?

In house friend who's at GV regular said it's more like 70:30 with over 50% girls failing it too. I was surprised I got through but PMA did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Redbull1990

Got my medical date today :) so happy to have a date to focus on rather than have things up in the air. When do we get info on online learning now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sgt_fenners

Got my medical date today :) so happy to have a date to focus on rather than have things up in the air. When do we get info on online learning now ?

Should hope to hear by email in the next few days/week. The learning made me really keen and made we want the job more! Seems sad but true. It's a real "buy in" but good

Could be anytime really. Those of us who passed last Monday still not heard from them.

• Advertisement

Just a word of advice for anyone with medical questionnaires. Leave them in with GP asap.

I left mine in 10 days ago. Gave them ample time to fill it out. Went back today to collect and they tell me it'll be another 3 weeks before they can get them looked at.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sgt_fenners

Dekkers wrote: »
    Just a word of advice for anyone with medical questionnaires. Leave them in with GP asap.

I left mine in 10 days ago. Gave them ample time to fill it out. Went back today to collect and they tell me it'll be another 3 weeks before they can get them looked at.

Brilliant.

That's crap. I booked an appointment with mine and showed up questionnaire in hand. He asked if I had any issues and I said no. He said that since I had an appointment time he would do it then and there...think I got lucky with a nice dr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PTR292

Brilliant.

How busy is your GP? When i left mine in they had it done in 3 days.

That's crap. I booked an appointment with mine and showed up questionnaire in hand. He asked if I had any issues and I said no. He said that since I had an appointment time he would do it then and there...think I got lucky with a nice dr!

Tis my punishment for not being known to them. 'My' doctor is on hols and they won't give it to another who doesn't know me. I tried to explain that I wouldn't spot my doctor in a line up and that none of them know me but no dice!

PTR292 wrote: »
    How busy is your GP? When i left mine in they had it done in 3 days.

Busy sunning himself by the sounds of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

Got my date for medical today. Letter posted on the 24th of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Brilliant.

I have zero health issues . 20-20 vision etc . Do I have to get my GP to officially stamp a form ? Will my GP know who he is making this form for ?

popolive wrote: »
    I have zero health issues . 20-20 vision etc . Do I have to get my GP to officially stamp a form ? Will my GP know who he is making this form for ?

Have you got your questionnaire yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

erm,,,, yea he will lol, u will laugh when u see it.....

I didn't think it was bad to be fair. My Dr didn't charge for it either, thought they would have lol

• Advertisement

Yeah you have to bring it to your medical. But as mop says I'd worry about getting the questionnaire in the first instance!

And yes, as I recall there's a massive big psni insignia on the booklet but I think staff at gp surgeries are trustworthy enough.

They're not allowed to say. All staff in a doctors surgery from cleaners, receptionists etc are all bound to confidentiality agreements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Mop a top wrote: »
    They're not allowed to say. All staff in a doctors surgery from cleaners, receptionists etc are all bound to confidentiality agreements

Are you honestly joking me? If it's a case i get that far, please tell me there is no PSNI insignia on the forms? That leaves me in a bit of a predicament if so.

Are you honestly joking me? If it's a case i get that far, please tell me there is no PSNI insignia on the forms? That leaves me in a bit of a predicament if so.

I'm guessing this is for me lol. Honestly, I can't mind I gave it to gp as soon as I got it but I'm almost sure it does. In any case it definitely says 'for the position of constable in the PSNI' (or similar).

Maybe someone else who has theirs can confirm in case I'm making all this up.

Have you got your questionnaire yet??

No. I still have to do the IST. It's early days yet for me.

I'm guessing this is for me lol. Honestly, I can't mind I gave it to gp as soon as I got it but I'm almost sure it does. In any case it definitely says 'for the position of constable in the PSNI' (or similar).

Maybe someone else who has theirs can confirm in case I'm making all this up.

Wheres a Facepalm gif when I need one ? Is there any way around this and to otherwise certify my good health ? I can think of a few really obvious ways this could be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Wheres a Facepalm gif when I need one ? Is there any way around this and to otherwise certify my good health ? I can think of a few really obvious ways this could be done...

Pretty sure this is the only way, can't imagine any other option as your GP would be the obvious point of call.

I honestly can't remember if the insignia is on the front cover. I'm thinking it might have just been something like medical assessment questionnaire but there's definitely something in the front cover and also it does say in it that you're medically suitable to fulfil the role of police constable. Anyone reading it will know you've applied for it.

Such as? I can think of literally none.

The kind of person who can justify bombing and shooting people against the democratic will of 99.999% of people everywhere is not going to worry about a confidentiality agreement.
    Cromlech wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is the only way, can't imagine any other option as your GP would be the obvious point of call.

It's disappointing that the form allegedly has a mention of PSNI on it. They could have mentioned police in general or anything else. I can see some things need to be tightened up. My GP is in a busy practice with a high staff turnover all of whom have easy access to the filing cabinets. And all interactions with patients are computerised.
    Such as? I can think of literally none.

I am still thinking this over but can possibly find a new GP who can pull my old files , see theres no issues and fill out the forms. I will have to do my own vetting of this guy though :pac:

• Advertisement

The form definitely mentions psni. As someone posted before maybe you could make an appointment with your doctor if/when the time comes. That way he/she would be the only 1 to know.

Having said that, I do think you're overthinking the security aspect of your application. You will be doing well if you can last an entire career in the PSNI with absolutely nobody - not even your gp - finding out your profession. Less desirable elements of society will find out what you do. That, in itself, is not hard. They will (amongst other things) wait for you to finish work and follow you home from your station.

Advertisement