Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

crinkley wrote: »
    Wow, my sight would be similar but I thought no way would I pass and have looked into laser. Did you find it hard or not a problem?

I just did my best and got through no problem. I think as long as your 20:20 with correction then your ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

Has anyone gone for the medical with slight asthma. If so how did they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Has anyone gone for the medical with slight asthma. If so how did they get on.

I have slight asthma but am good with taking my brown inhalers and I passed the spirometer which checks your lungs no problem at all. She said my lungs were better than a lot of smokers she sees and couldn't tell I had asthma! Just make sure you get very good at taking your brown one morning and night and you should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

Can anyone confirm what colour blindness test the most recent campaign is using? Is it the 6 dots thing or the circular dot patterns with the number hidden?

Also it says severe colour deficiency not acceptable. What does this mean in nuts and bolts?

friend of mine is colour blind and failed but appealed it and is now in GV

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rockchick1989

Anyone have their medical with a bmi higher than 30? I'm over but have quite a bit of muscle so don't look the weight I am (though could still lose a few lbs). Information sheet states that anyone with bmi over 30 will have to do physical. ... does this mean I will have to do it over again or do they take into account I've already passed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

Anyone have their medical with a bmi higher than 30? I'm over but have quite a bit of muscle so don't look the weight I am (though could still lose a few lbs). Information sheet states that anyone with bmi over 30 will have to do physical. ... does this mean I will have to do it over again or do they take into account I've already passed it?

I don't know - if you've passed pca previously and you passed the medical in theory you should be fine. I would think it's a discretionary thing. It may depend on height and what kind of exercises you do - doctor asked me what kinds of stuff I did to keep fit but I think you'll be ok

I don't know - if you've passed pca previously and you passed the medical in theory you should be fine. I would think it's a discretionary thing. It may depend on height and what kind of exercises you do - doctor asked me what kinds of stuff I did to keep fit but I think you'll be ok

thanks, im very sporty so fitness levels are more than ok, just carry a bit of weight- but health wise all ok!! over thinking everything at this stage- would be gutted to lose out at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Just to clarify here, Medical invite arrives 4 weeks after PCA pass - then a further 3 weeks until the actual medical examination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Whats your body fat % ? That might be more important than your BMI.

popolive wrote: »
    Whats your body fat % ? That might be more important than your BMI.

absolutely no idea if im honest!!!

• Advertisement

Just to clarify here, Medical invite arrives 4 weeks after PCA pass - then a further 3 weeks until the actual medical examination?

varies i think- heard of ones getting medical very quickly after letter, others have to wait longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

absolutely no idea if im honest!!!

you should find that out and if if it is in a healthy range you can then at least use it to argue your case with somebody e.g the doctor. Now I wont assume whether the rock chick refers to yourself or someone else but it might be helpful to know that it is normal for women to typically have a higher bodyfat than men. You can find the ranges/variations and ways to measure it in Google or ask for a estimation at a gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Bit of a wait then? Was hoping it would be quicker....

A bit shoite, but sure theres no panic as long as there is space for us! :)

Preferably this side of Xmas...

Wishful thinking??

Id say more like a reality, no?

Sure how many intakes are there before us? 1 or 2 at most??

You've just ruined my Sunday night!! ;-)

Any chance of mixing intakes up with different scores?

There will inevitably be intakes with a few people that have scored higher due to vetting delays or whatever, but for the most part we'll all be the same score ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Does anyone know what the "predicted maximum" for body fat is?

done one of them online body fat calculators and it's says I'm 22.3% - I don't know if this is normal/bad/extremely bad ????

There will inevitably be intakes with a few people that have scored higher due to vetting delays or whatever, but for the most part we'll all be the same score ? ?

It'll probably come down to vetting for us and how long it takes. Yeah I see what you mean about the scores

• Advertisement

Tim89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the "predicted maximum" for body fat is?

done one of them online body fat calculators and it's says I'm 22.3% - I don't know if this is normal/bad/extremely bad ????

I think that's good. I think the police take up to 30. But anything over 25 and you're classed as overweight

oztop1234 wrote: »
    I think that's good. I think the police take up to 30. But anything over 25 and you're classed as overweight

Not BMI mate that's my body fat.

My BMI is 33, Body fat is 22.3%
    180cm, 108kg

I'm big in the shoulders and have big legs like from footy and ruggers

Not BMI mate that's my body fat.

My BMI is 33, Body fat is 22.3%
    180cm, 108kg

My bad!! With you now...

I see you're in the comedian mode tonight ! :cool:

I see you're in the comedian mode tonight ! :cool:

Haha, least I can keep my stomache fluids where they belong big fella!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

anyone fail and appealing? going mad thinking and waiting lol

Everyone got their forms filled in?

Wonder how long of a wait we will have?

oztop1234 wrote: »
    Everyone got their forms filled in?

Wonder how long of a wait we will have?

Nope, have to bring them into the docs yet. Need to get a half day and go in and he'll do it there and then, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Nope, have to bring them into the docs yet. Need to get a half day and go in and he'll do it there and then, hopefully.

I booked an appointment for next week. Hope the fecker can do it too.

Any ideas on rough dates for medical? Holiday booked for 14th Sept.

• Advertisement

I've been told to leave them in with contact details and they will fill them out for me.

Hope it's sooner rather than later. Online learning shouldn't be far away

Advertisement