Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

shaz200828 wrote: »
    OMG i got my medical letter!!! I'm so chuffed especially with me just being made redundant last week!! They dont give you much notice rang docs to get app and most of them are on holiday......so I cant get my own doctor to fill out my form........ does anyone know if that matters??

Congrats!
    Every cloud has a silver lining! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

shaz200828 wrote: »
    OMG i got my medical letter!!! I'm so chuffed especially with me just being made redundant last week!! They dont give you much notice rang docs to get app and most of them are on holiday......so I cant get my own doctor to fill out my form........ does anyone know if that matters??

Don't worry shaz!
    I didn't have time to get my usual doctor or even any of the local doctors in my surgery, I had a locom fill out my form and that was fine when i took it to the medical!
    Congratulations on getting the medical!
    I was working on the roof of my folks house when my girlfriend phoned me and told me the letter had arrived. I've never descended a ladder more carefully!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 the chosen one

Hi Shaz,
    Just wondering when you did your A/C as i completed A/C late June, got pass letter and vetting forms but no medical date as yet. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shaz200828

Hi The Choosen One!

I did my AC early June, got my vetting forms a week later, the pass letter the full 6 weeks after my AC and my medical forms yesterday so things going well for my first time applying!

Good luck and also to everyone else waiting on a date and thanks to everyone for the congratulations im well pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

hey shaz congrats on getting the medical forms, its looking good!! its the least you deserve after the redundacy and all!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

The last time i got through to medical was in 2002, failed because of my eyesight, or lack there of! have had laser surgery, june past, with brilliant results, am reassured that as long as6 weeks have lapsed it shouldn't be a problem? does anyone know anything or anyone who has been in a similar position.... also last november i was prescribed an inhaler for a nasty chest infection, i have a friend who was failed on these grounds as they said in her dear john letter that she had asthma! am a bit concerned!

Any stories or comments to alay my fears!!!!! would be very much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

The last time i got through to medical was in 2002, failed because of my eyesight, or lack there of! have had laser surgery, june past, with brilliant results, am reassured that as long as6 weeks have lapsed it shouldn't be a problem? does anyone know anything or anyone who has been in a similar position.... also last november i was prescribed an inhaler for a nasty chest infection, i have a friend who was failed on these grounds as they said in her dear john letter that she had asthma! am a bit concerned!

i think thats a bit harsh about the asthma, i would get all the back up notes from your doctor about the chest infection, so it wont delay you as im sure they will want to find out how serious it was!!in regards to the eye sight i got the operation done back in december and just about passed the eye requirements, though i would be expected to wear lenses to drive a police car!i have to get the operation again as it didnt turn out the best:(

i was told by a number of people that at least three months had to pass after eye surgery, however this was a number of years ago, it may have well changed since!

hope this was of some help, Given1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

I have asthma!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Fo wrote: »
    I have asthma!!!!!!!!

am sure each person is judged differently, so don't panic, but maybe ring occupational health to see what they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

it doesnt matter that you have asthma as long as you can pass the lung capacity test, i've a mate currently in G'ville and he has really bad asthma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

when i did my medical for C13 i only had laser surgery about 5weeks before it. i just put on the medical form the date that it was done and nothing was said about it. passed with flying colours:D

Woohoo!!
    Got a letter from occupational health this morning!
    Passed the medical! Drugs test results should follow in the next two weeks!
    Gonna phone vetting soon and see what the craic is with that! Anyone have the number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Hey inspector, Congrats on passing the number for vetting is 02890650222 think you have to ask for vetting when you ring that number!

just came back from holiday this morning to word of my medical!!! Get In!!

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Hey inspector, Congrats on passing the number for vetting is 02890650222 think you have to ask for vetting when you ring that number!

Nice one!!
    The medical's a nice break from the other assessments if you haven't done it before!
    I asked all kinds of nosey questions and all the people who carry it out are really nice!

i'll probaby be the same asking questions about everything! I failed a med 5months ago for the TA for being overweight and been desparately trying to get my BMI below 30 managed to get it down to 31 (after loosing 8KGs) guess the gym will be my 2nd home til the medical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

You lot are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to have your med dates and even have the med over with. I want my date so i can stop worrying. :(

You lot are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to have your med dates and even have the med over with. I want my date so i can stop worrying. :(

Its coming!!
    Dont panic,sista, your wee bunk in GV is waiting for you...:p:p

PYG i thought you would have been one of if not THE first to get a med date as you were one of the firsts to do your AC and also receive your vetting!!

I was reading this forum while i was away and going stir crazy! can't imagine how you must be feeling!!!!

Congrats on the med date!!

And I can personally vouch that yes indeed, Ms PYG is going boog-a-loo about no med date. Big time.

:D

Thanks MGH i believe congrats are in order for you too on your vetting forms??? How do you feel?

I was really shocked when they were there but weird thing was i dreamt about them last night that i was opening them and when i heard the postman i sprinted down the stairs and it was there!! wan't expecting to hear about a med until novmeber or december!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks MGH i believe congrats are in order for you too on your vetting forms??? How do you feel?

I was really shocked when they were there but weird thing was i dreamt about them last night that i was opening them and when i heard the postman i sprinted down the stairs and it was there!! wan't expecting to hear about a med until novmeber or december!!!

Was so delighted to get vetting through. I know its by no means a guarantee of having done well at the AC but at least it feels like things are going in the right direction for me!!!

You must be sooo chuffed at getting med and esp after having dream about it LOL
    How much notice have you got, have they give you a few weeks before it?
    No carb like a fiend and the BMI will be fine.:p

Fingers crossed I will get med bit further down the line too.:D

Am upping the anti at the gym just in case!!!

I have a feeling that some of C14 could be in November and December intakes to make up the numbers.

I've got around 2 and a half weeks. I'm enjoying my last bit of rubbish today before the "fun" really starts lol i was well chuffed to say the least i was jumping around and shouting- the joys of being in the house alone lol.

They must be really short for people for c13 if that are using us lot to fill those places up! i would be delighted if i got in then! i'd say ur med won't take too long to come through i submitted my vetting in july and i have my med soon so judging by that maybe a month or 2???

from what i've read you don't need to up the anti at the gym after losing so much you must be well within the BMI limits!! i'm just outside so need to get crackin!!

I've got around 2 and a half weeks. I'm enjoying my last bit of rubbish today before the "fun" really starts lol i was well chuffed to say the least i was jumping around and shouting- the joys of being in the house alone lol.

They must be really short for people for c13 if that are using us lot to fill those places up! i would be delighted if i got in then! i'd say ur med won't take too long to come through i submitted my vetting in july and i have my med soon so judging by that maybe a month or 2???

from what i've read you don't need to up the anti at the gym after losing so much you must be well within the BMI limits!! i'm just outside so need to get crackin!!

Oh dont worry, I danced round my place like a complete muppet the day I got the vetting!!! I do think its possible that the lucky ones fom C14 could be in November, especially if vetting away from July or so and now they have started medicals.

I've still a bit to lose and although the BMI fine just need to shift final bit of weight. Fitness needs work tho, upper body strength fine as I train with weights but I cannot run to save my life and the thoughts of that 5k round GV puts the fear of God into me LOL

Medical before Chrimbo would be lovely!!!

All depends on this merit list tho.....ooh the waiting!!:eek:

So i'm not the only mental one then?? lol

That would be a dream come true to get in in november or december! this has been my dream since i was about 5 so i, like everyone else on here really want it!! i found that for weightloss weights are the best for me i can run and hopefully going back to rugby next week if the doc signs me off after my Operation so that'll help me out a good bit!
    The 5k run worries me as well but i'd say there will be people who think they will be able to do it but will probably fail but they will make allowance for that i guess??

So i'm not the only mental one then?? lol

That would be a dream come true to get in in november or december! this has been my dream since i was about 5 so i, like everyone else on here really want it!! i found that for weightloss weights are the best for me i can run and hopefully going back to rugby next week if the doc signs me off after my Operation so that'll help me out a good bit!
    The 5k run worries me as well but i'd say there will be people who think they will be able to do it but will probably fail but they will make allowance for that i guess??

LOL no, not by a long way are you the only mental one, you should have seen our night out, talk about bonkers.....!!

I've been advised to go running outdoors and not on treadmill. Its the thought of doing it in public.....eeek. Lucky I belong to a very small gym and theres hardly ever anyone there while I am so dont get gawked at!
    Have downloaded a plan off a running website which aims to have you running a 5k in under 30 mins in about 8 weeks. So really need to crack on at that.
    I actually enjoy weights and its easy to stick at exercise when you enjoy it.

Is your med early in the morning? I always weigh about 3lbs lighter in the morning than I do in the evening....:eek:

My med is early afternoon so maybe i can split the difference and be 1.5lbs heavier lol! i don't mind if i have to do the PCA because i reckon i'll be able to do it if my fitness is high enough because i've still retained a lot of my muscles and fitness from when i was training 3times a week. I do thin running outdoors is harder than the treadmill plus i have a tendancy to stray to the left or the right whilst running so i'd more than likely fall off the treadmill!! and also you may as well start running where you may have to in future after the bad guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭el_nino_9

hey everyone

Another newbie to the forums. Great to see there are so many in the same boat as me. I have just posted my vetting forms last week and im waiting (not so patiently) for my medical. It is great to be able to talk to other people in the same position and know that im not the only crazy one, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

nice user name my friend :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Got my med date today. Happy to have received that instead of a 'dear john' :D

However, I'm not entirely confident having been treated for a minor anxiety disorder when i was in my teens (happy pills again). I don't know how they look upon such things but It didn't fill me with confidence hearing about the guy who posted previous who was rejected due to depression when he was 16!! It hardly encourages young people to come forward aboout feeling depressed when it limits employment opportunities (well, in the police anyhow).

I suppose i'll speak to my doc and ask for his advice. Anyone in a similar situation?

• Advertisement

MrFug wrote: »
    Got my med date today. Happy to have received that instead of a 'dear john' :D

Congrats on the med date!!! :D:D

On the other issue, it will depend on your doctor I think. You say this happened in your teens, what age are you now?

Advertisement