Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Congrats Geezoh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Red_bull

Got my letter today also. The wait begins! Congrats Geezoh nothing to worry about in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Well done geezoh! The eyesight thing went ok then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 geezoh

Yeah start of the week bud...mmm yeah catdog theyre really helpful so dont worry you should be fine...

Yeah the wait begins...hopefully will see you all soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Well done on medical passes guys. Welcome to the wait club as such haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Lol all that panicking for nothing. Congrats guys. Just vetting to clear and the calls to come!!! Welcome to limbo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FV4034_Seraph

How long do you guys think it takes for the substance misuse test results to clear?

i guess no news is good news with regards to smt...some people have stated tat they never recieved notification of a pass just the call to gv...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Guys is the medical after or before pca?

• Advertisement

after

• Registered Users Posts: 41 1PCPLOD

Great to see calls going out again! Tel me if you don't mind how long was the wait between PCA to Medical? And if any of you got the call today how long was the delay between medical and passing out! Trying to get a rough idea of timescales after PCA yesterday??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

Out of curiosity, when they refer to body fat percentage not being >5% of the predicted maximum. What is the predicted maximum considered to be or is this a variable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

Hey all!

Yea same as 1PcPlod,

Just wondering how long is it before a medical invite comes out after the PCA and is it via email or the post man?

Trying to sort out some wee timescales here :)

newpsni wrote: »
    Hey all!

Yea same as 1PcPlod,

Just wondering how long is it before a medical invite comes out after the PCA and is it via email or the post man?

Trying to sort out some wee timescales here :)

The first batch processed through this campaign was fairly quick, I got my medical letter a few days after the PCA. The medical itself was less than 15 days away, however I was at the start of the medicals. They run for a month, once a week as far as I am aware.

You could get one for a few weeks or it could be 4 or 6 weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    The first batch processed through this campaign was fairly quick, I got my medical letter a few days after the PCA. The medical itself was less than 15 days away, however I was at the start of the medicals. They run for a month, once a week as far as I am aware.

You could get one for a few weeks or it could be 4 or 6 weeks away.

Oh ok no worries. I should expect a wait of a few weeks then for the medical date after the PCA.

Things moving again and it's great !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 820sox

Hey!

I have a question about the medical questionnaire , I ticked yes for the box in relation to psoriasis. It's grand now, and I've had it since I was 12, but was referred to the dermatology unit for UVB treatment, which worked a treat.

I've tried ringing outpatients and they just keep passing me on to someone else, then back to the original person! Would a letter explaining the condition from the doctor be enough, or does it need to come from the dermatologist department?

Will be pretty heartbroken if something that doesn't effect me at all, fails me!

Thanks,

I honestly couldn't see that effecting your chances of getting in. I had an old horse riding injury on my knee and had physio. I declared it and said it had no impact on my day to day life, he never blinked an eye at it in my medical folder. I had no supporting documents from Dr or physio so I think you'd be grand saying on the form it doesn't bother you. Settle petal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Knightwing1

hi All,
    I have my medical in just over a week and was wondering if anyone knows the requirements for the hearing and sight tests?

If you go on the PSNI website I'm almost certain it tells you the specs. Failing that you could email recruitment and ask them to forward you the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

Vision
    Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    Normal visual fields
    Sever colour deficiency not acceptable
    Body Composition Standard
    Body Mass Index (BMI) Body composition >30 applicant does not meet standard
    and
    Body fat >5% above predicted maximum does not meet standard
    and
    Examination Appears overweight on medical assessment.
    Hearing Hearing standard - Hearing loss of more than a total of 84dB over the 0.5 - 1.2 KHz range or more than a total of 123 dB over the 3,4 and 6 KHz range in both ears is unlikely to be suitable. When one ear is affected or when aids may overcome the difficulty further assessment will be required to identify possible adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

Hey guys, quick question. Are the medicals always held on the same day or do they vary week by week? I'm asking because with my PCA soon I might need to give work the heads up as some days are harder to take off than others. Obviously depending on whether I pass or not..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Knightwing1

Received my letter saying that iv passed my medical. Now just waiting on the result of vetting and the substance abuse test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Received my letter saying that iv passed my medical. Now just waiting on the result of vetting and the substance abuse test.

You won't receive the result of substance misuse unless there is a problem with it so assume you are now just waiting for the call.

Well done! Time to sit back and wait on that phone call, do anything but relax ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

Can anyone shed any light on what method they use to test body fat % in the medical?

The mark one eye ball haha.

Being serious I don't think its tested the material is older and was issued before the PCA was done. If you read it carefully it will tell you that if your bf % is above the stated max they will ask you to do a PCA which you will have already done.

If your worried your bf% is too high, its time to lay off the cheese burgers. If you've any more questions hit me up with a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

The BMI body mass index is a calculation of your height v your body weight against a scale, it doesn't measure body fat just your ideal weight v your height, its a pretty outdated method as it doesnt take muscle mass into account. If your BMI is above 30 they will more than likely use a skinfold calipers test which gives a pretty good indication of the percentage of body fat. Go to your local gym and ask the instructor to run you through the test, at least you will get an indication of your position. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Don't want to go into too much detail but I've a medical soon and I'm not well (I rarely get sick, the timing of this couldn't be worse..) - has anyone ever ended up attending medical when they were suffering cold/flu like symptoms and if so did it have any bearing on outcome of medical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

.S. wrote: »
    Don't want to go into too much detail but I've a medical soon and I'm not well (I rarely get sick, the timing of this couldn't be worse..) - has anyone ever ended up attending medical when they were suffering cold/flu like symptoms and if so did it have any bearing on outcome of medical?

I did my medical couple of months ago and I was coming off a bad bout of the cold/flu and chest infection. I told them straight off bout it and she made a note on my record about it. Even commented that she could hear the wheeze in my chest on the breathe test.

Just be sure to be honest and up front tho with the first doc/nurse you come into contact with.

I passed by the way!

Advertisement