Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Don't forget folks, they progress you through EVERY stage in order of merit. That will apply to everyone who's recently passed the PCA, they'll take the ones who scored higher on the AC and IST for medical a first, plus bear in mind that there could be quite a few folk sitting on a score maybe 0.1 or 0.2 above your AC score.

SETTLE DOWN, have patience, if you've passed the PCA the medical date WILL COME EVENTUALLY. You're mentally torturing yourself. Stop it, chill out and when it arrives it arrives. Take it as it comes, learm from my mistake and save yourselves the heartache :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 j3llybean

Mop a top wrote: »
    Don't forget folks, they progress you through EVERY stage in order of merit. That will apply to everyone who's recently passed the PCA, they'll take the ones who scored higher on the AC and IST for medical a first, plus bear in mind that there could be quite a few folk sitting on a score maybe 0.1 or 0.2 above your AC score.

SETTLE DOWN, have patience, if you've passed the PCA the medical date WILL COME EVENTUALLY. You're mentally torturing yourself. Stop it, chill out and when it arrives it arrives. Take it as it comes, learm from my mistake and save yourselves the heartache :)

Thanks Mop a Top didn't realise that, thought we were on a level pegging again, at least within pca groups. That has put me at ease a little, was imagining there was some problem with the vetting (not that I envisage one). Just eager to get this show on the road! X

j3llybean wrote: »
    Thanks Mop a Top didn't realise that, thought we were on a level pegging again, at least within pca groups. That has put me at ease a little, was imagining there was some problem with the vetting (not that I envisage one). Just eager to get this show on the road! X

If you think about it there might be 20 in your PCA but they were running a couple of them each day over 2/3days in C1. People in your PCA and the days surrounding it will have similar scores but if they're only running medicals over one day a week there's only so many they can take so it's down to your placing in the merit list and that's mostly down to your AC score. There could for argument sake 30 people who passed their PCA this time round but only appointments for 10 at medicals at the next available week, they'll only take the 10 highest candidates but 0.1 can make all the difference in getting a letter this week or next week. It will come. Just don't count your chickens as its heart breaking. Hope that makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Thing is though I must be at the higher end of my batch given that I got
    My medical letter yesterday and it's a date really soon, but how come then they still haven't done a blooming credit check? People who submitted their forms a whole month later have had credit checks done!

Catdog33 wrote: »
    My medical letter yesterday and it's a date really soon, but how come then they still haven't done a blooming credit check? People who submitted their forms a whole month later have had credit checks done!

who did you do the credit check with?? PM me if you don't want to say on here. Especially since it's off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

I'm in exactly the same position as you and haven't had a credit check either but i'm confident that it it will all come together in the end. There's still a fair few weeks before our turn for calls will come and that's hopefully plenty of time for vetting to fall into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

How long after your PCA is medical? Basically I am being processed through the NIPS with a potential start date of mid sept start of October. My PCA is in sept. Training is a potential 10 weeks so I don't know how I could get away for a day. It would mean maybe deferring my medical which would obvious hinder my chances of getting in to the merit pool.

This is all being well and I would have passed my PCA of course 😁. And even fail the medical!

And I am so fed up in my current job that if offered the NIPS its to good of an opportunity to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

Joe789 wrote: »
    How long after your PCA is medical? Basically I am being processed through the NIPS with a potential start date of mid sept start of October. My PCA is in sept. Training is a potential 10 weeks so I don't know how I could get away for a day. It would mean maybe deferring my medical which would obvious hinder my chances of getting in to the merit pool.

This is all being well and I would have passed my PCA of course 😁. And even fail the medical!

And I am so fed up in my current job that if offered the NIPS its to good of an opportunity to turn down.

Approx 2-4 weeks after Pca

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Potential Constable Dibble

Hi guys. Quick question, and perhaps it's already been answered.

What format does the vision section of the medical take? Is it an actual eye test with reading down the chart? Or do they request your current prescription from you optician etc?

Many thanks

It's an actual eye test PCD.

• Advertisement

Guys, is there a urine test at the medical? I have the smallest bladder in the world and if I've to drink before going don't know how long I'll be able to hold it lol!!

If there is a urine test, what do they test for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PC high tower.

Guys, is there a urine test at the medical? I have the smallest bladder in the world and if I've to drink before going don't know how long I'll be able to hold it lol!!

If there is a urine test, what do they test for?

Yea there is! But it's pretty much straight away, like the first thing they get you to do. well mine was anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Think it's tested for ketones present, I assume as an indicator of diabetes? Could be wrong.

There's quite a few things urine tests are for. High blood pressure, dehydration, diabetes, some kidney or liver diseases and my personal favourite; pregnancy! Also you don't see them flush the sample. They could send it for toxicology, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

There's quite a few things urine tests are for. High blood pressure, dehydration, diabetes, some kidney or liver diseases and my personal favourite; pregnancy! Also you don't see them flush the sample. They could send it for toxicology, just a thought.

I know a girl years ago in the old recruitment who went for her medical and found out she was pregnant after they did the urine test was a massive shock to her. That's good point about the toxicology!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I seen them flush mine, just a dipstick then it was disposed of.

I know a girl years ago in the old recruitment who went for her medical and found out she was pregnant after they did the urine test was a massive shock to her. That's good point about the toxicology!

Holy ****!!!! I think I'd cry if that were me, no bloody chance of that happening thank god :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

.S. wrote: »
    I seen them flush mine, just a dipstick then it was disposed of.

Same tested it then poured down the sink

Just went to the doctor. Made an appointment to see her just to clarify one or two dates. She looked stuff up on the computer and I wrote it down, then she ticked the 4/5boxes she had to and stamped it......

£25 later!!!!!!!! Could not believe it! She didn't do any work!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

£25 later!!!!!!!!
    £25 currently equates to around €35, which would be a bargain across the border. How lucky are we living this side of the border that we don't have to pay for GP visits in general? In the Republic of Ireland, just for attending a regular GP appointment, the cost is anywhere between €50-€55, depending on your GP. They accept cash.

• Advertisement

My GP's reception told me it would cost £40 when I made the appointment as I was paying for it and not a company

at the appointment the Doctor (not my usual) seemed so disinterested in having to do this as if it were a complete inconvenience for her to do, during the appointment she mentioned it would have to be a service that was charged for she said £15 needless to say I never corrected her, I also asked if it would remain confidential I was assured it would

The Doctor chose to keep the booklet which I'd brought in the white unmarked envelope. When I was collecting it a week later I went to reception to for it and to pay the fee, low and behold the booklet was sitting out of the envelope with PSNI clearly visible on the front and a big Post it note with my name for all centre staff to see, was genuinely not impressed by this

My GP was also seemed pretty ticked at having to do mine as well like it was a major inconvenience and she rushed through it so quick she ticked a couple of boxes so quickly that she then had to score them out and correct them. The fact that you do have to pay should mean a little extra care is taken when doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

That's awful guys!! I had to pay 20 quid for mine but my doctor couldn't have been better he got me paperwork for everything I needed filled it all out and signed it by the next day, and he was really encouraging, he helped me fill out my bit over the phone! I'd change GP like that's the last person you want to be disinterested in you!

Thankfully its not my regular GP it was the only appointment I could get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 .Q

IvanT1984 wrote: »
    Thankfully its not my regular GP it was the only appointment I could get

That's terrible. Really unprofessional of them. And being quoted £40 is unheard of.

Any women who have had their medical who I can PM? Have a girly question to ask and I really don't want to alarm our male boardies LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 .Q

Any women who have had their medical who I can PM? Have a girly question to ask and I really don't want to alarm our male boardies LOL
    I had mine about a month ago. Feel free to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PC high tower.

I had mine few weeks ago, PM if you need :) or fingers crossed you got sorted already! :)

The offers there from me too catdog

• Advertisement

But if it's the question I'm thinking of the answer is a definite no :P

Advertisement