Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blui2

Ref the Medical Questionnaire that your Doctor has to fill in prior to your Medical - without going into detail, i wanted to be with my Doctor when they filled in mine as i had a referral for MRI and to a consultant for a knee injury sustained playing football a few years ago and i wanted to be sure what my medical records said in relation to this and discuss with my doctor what responses there were going to put in the questionnaire so that if i was queried in my medical, id have all the facts.

Basically i dont want to draw attentions to something in my medical thats not detailed too much in my records or if Doctor doesnt mention, and if Doctor does mention it, id need time to bring the consultants records and MRI scans etc to the Medical as per instructions (There was slight Meniscus/Cartlidge damage caused my impact injury at football - Knee is fine and im back participating in sport and training, but the referral should be highlighted in my records)

Problem is, next available appointment in my Doctors surgery is the day before my Medical! Did anyone who has been to the Medical just leave their form at the Doctors to fill in without your....er....influence, or did you go the Doctors in an appointment to have it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

I made an appointment and went in, the doctor told me they would have to keep it to complete it but I talked through the issues I had

I plucked up the nerve to phone recruitment today and find out where my application was sitting, It has been referred to the disability discrimination act panel for further review...... apart from that I'm now in a state of limbo she told me they required further information despite not having contacted myself or my doctors

light at the end of the tunnel is seeming further and further away

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sia800

Hello everyone! First time posting on this forum but have spent some time reading past posts and it is great to see so many like minded people trying to help each other out with information.

I did my medical assessment over a month ago now and received a letter at the end of August stating that I, "meet the required standards...." and finishes with, "PSNI Recruitment will be in contact with you shortly to explain what happens next." So far nothing.

Is this normal or has a letter got lost in the post?

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Lighter7 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! First time posting on this forum but have spent some time reading past posts and it is great to see so many like minded people trying to help each other out with information.

I did my medical assessment over a month ago now and received a letter at the end of August stating that I, "meet the required standards...." and finishes with, "PSNI Recruitment will be in contact with you shortly to explain what happens next." So far nothing.

Is this normal or has a letter got lost in the post?

Many thanks in advance.

Totally normal! And you now belong in the waiting room! You just have to wait on The Call to offer you a place. Depending on your AC score and whether or not your vetting has cleared you could be in the next round of calls. We anticipate that they may be in about 3 weeks time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

IvanT1984 wrote: »
    I made an appointment and went in the doctor told me they would have to keep it to complete it but I talked it through the issues I had

I plucked up the nerve to phone recruitment today and find out where my application was sitting, It has been referred to the disability discrimination act panel for further review...... apart from that I'm now in a state of limbo she told me they required further information despite not having contacted myself or my doctors

light at the end of the tunnel is seeming further and further away

That's crappy my lovely :( can I ask a personal question, did you have any "adjustments" to your testing? If not I'd be asking why exactly they're referring it into the DDA panel? Just a thought although I might be barking up the wrong tree lol.

• Advertisement

Mop a top wrote: »
    That's crappy my lovely :( can I ask a personal question, did you have any "adjustments" to your testing? If not I'd be asking why exactly they're referring it into the DDA panel? Just a thought although I might be barking up the wrong tree lol.

Hey Mop yeah its definitely a crappy situation, I didn't have any adjustment to any stage of my recruitment and my PCA also included the push pull as a scored requirement.

I'm going to wait until Monday and ring again if I haven't received any further communication from them, Girl on the phone said they were looking for further information so I contacted my GP to see if any requests for information had been made but so far nothing.

I may be wrong but my Medical was in July surely this panel should have made a decision before sending me a letter telling me I was fit for training with adjustment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'd be asking them what exactly the problem is about this. I'd have said the same as you, they should have raised this sooner rather than later. You've passed everything without adjustments so you're obviously able to do the job.

I know a guy on here from C1 who had the same problem, his Dr said about his dyslexia and he did all tests without any adjustments. Think he had to sign a waiver or something of the sort before he got the call. Get onto to them and keep at them until you get an answer and it sorted out. Good luck my lovely :)

Yeah that is going to be Mondays question I hate the thought of this holding me back it has never stopped me doing anything physical in the past so why should it stop me now

but DDA be damned I will prevail lol

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Might not be of much help to you Ivan or you might have already seen it, but there's a document relating to disability and recruitment called "Disability and the Police"

"Guidance on the implementation of the DDA as it relates to the recruitment, medical and pensions procedures was published on 14 Septembr 2004."

http://www.nypolfed.org.uk/assets/uploads/PDFs/disability2.pdf

The document was produced in line with the Home Office Circular 59/2004 and although they are National Recruitment Standards, I assume it may also be applicable to NI to some degree?

Thanks man, I've been reading up about DDA practices since I found out, without going into too much detail my adjustments are very minor and I think I've stated before unless I showed you what adjustments i do make you wouldn't even notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Fingers crossed it comes through for you. :)

Definitely, just prolonging the agony, although I would have thought this panel should have made a decision in the days after my medical and not just be meeting now 2 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sia800

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Totally normal! And you now belong in the waiting room! You just have to wait on The Call to offer you a place. Depending on your AC score and whether or not your vetting has cleared you could be in the next round of calls. We anticipate that they may be in about 3 weeks time

Thank you for the information it is very appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

Ok silly question time. And one I kind of already know the answer to but just want to be 110% sure of. I'm upping my training at the gym and want to start taking protein and creatine again. I've done it before ages ago when I used to train more. I know it's not illegal but I'm sure I read somewhere before that using creatine can sometimes appear in the SMT test and possibly give a high reading. I've already done my SMT but just want to make sure I'm not about to do something that might cause a problem further down the line if I ever actually get in.

Again, apologies in advance for the stupid question but I'm second guessing my common sense. I want this job so bad and don't want to mess is up over something silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Don't second guess your common sense. Taking creatine will not cause you to lose your job lol. Millions of athletes around the world take it. Entirely legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Don't second guess your common sense. Taking creatine will not cause you to lose your job lol. Millions of athletes around the world take it. Entirely legal.

Told you it was a stupid question. Lol. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

I have double vision in my right eye even though I have 20/20 vision in my left eye and I can see to the bottom of the chart with both eyes. Could I still fail the medical? I did pass the medical for the Irish Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

If you passed an Army medical you should be absolutely fine. Ask your optician. If you take a copy of the standards to them they will be able to tell you. My vision in right eye is not great but my left perfect and I passed. I think it is overall standard, near field vision and a severe colour perception that precludes entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

danube wrote:
    I have double vision in my right eye even though I have 20/20 vision in my left eye and I can see to the bottom of the chart with both eyes. Could I still fail the medical? I did pass the medical for the Irish Army.

I think you should be ok, these are the requirements for the eyesight test.
    Mandatory requirement Corrected distance visual acuity must be 6/12 in either eye and 6/6 or better, binocularly. Corrected near static visual acuity must be 6/9 or better, binocularly. Applicants who do not reach the standard must be invited for a further test if they obtain a stronger prescription. Uncorrected visual acuity must be 6/36 or better, binocularly. Corrected low contrast distance visual acuity must be 6/12 or better for a 10% contrast target, binocularly. A field of view of at least 120 degrees horizontally by 100 degrees vertically is required. The field of view should be free of any large defective areas, particularly in the fovea. Single defects smaller than the physiological blind spot, and multiple defects that add to an area smaller than the physiological blind spot, are acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Its your responsibility to bring any medical history to the medical. Your medical quiestionnaire will have to be signed off from your GP, so I am assuming this will be declared on your form.

I had two different reports for two different things. You basically bring them as supporting evidence. Example. You can declare that you have history of a kidney issue. Unless you bring medical reports providing evidence that the issue had been investigated and is fine you may be failed as the problem may preclude you from entry.

I handed the documents over and was asked questions about them. They held on to them. I received notification with everyone else that I had passed. They judge everyone the same with the medical evidence YOU provide on the day. If you dont provide it they can only judge what they see. You may appeal by providing the supporting docs but it will delay your application. Where as if you had shown them at the original medical, you would already have been passed.

My advice, have an appointment with your GP. They will tell you what to write down and you can ask for any medical reports on the issue. Any more questions dont hesitate to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Callzo

Does anybody know on the medical form if they ask questions about previous sick leave?
    I got turned down for the met at the final hurdle a year ago because they asked for two years sick leave and I had 40 days off over two years.
    25 days spent in hospital
    2 weeks taken for a death in the family.
    The death in the family they didn't see as a reason to be off work so long.
    I haven't had any time off now in over a year.
    So do they ask for 2 or more years absence from work?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 30 statusz

Callzo wrote: »
    Does anybody know on the medical form if they ask questions about previous sick leave?
    I got turned down for the met at the final hurdle a year ago because they asked for two years sick leave and I had 40 days off over two years.
    25 days spent in hospital
    2 weeks taken for a death in the family.
    The death in the family they didn't see as a reason to be off work so long.
    I haven't had any time off now in over a year.
    So do they ask for 2 or more years absence from work?

Thanks in advance

Off the top of my head its sick absence in the last three years.

Could have been two years but as I haven't had any sick leave it didn't apply to me so not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blui2

Def sick leave in the last 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Potential Constable Dibble

On a lighter note! This medical can't come quick enough! I've very little hair on my head and requiring a suitable length of tuft from elsewhere has resulted in me looking like a man ape!! #needagoodtrim

Callzo wrote:
    Does anybody know on the medical form if they ask questions about previous sick leave? I got turned down for the met at the final hurdle a year ago because they asked for two years sick leave and I had 40 days off over two years. 25 days spent in hospital 2 weeks taken for a death in the family. The death in the family they didn't see as a reason to be off work so long. I haven't had any time off now in over a year. So do they ask for 2 or more years absence from work?

The questionnaire asks about sick leave from school/work in the past 3 years, it also asks for an explanation for each instance.

On a lighter note! This medical can't come quick enough! I've very little hair on my head and requiring a suitable length of tuft from elsewhere has resulted in me looking like a man ape!! #needagoodtrim

Just do what I did and sacrifice up the armpit hair lol

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Medical completed just waiting letter to confirm passed for duty and then I'm in the official waiting room :)

Derob wrote:
    Medical completed just waiting letter to confirm passed for duty and then I'm in the official waiting room

Congratulations Derob :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

I've got a quick question about colour deficiency as it's annoying me. Could someone tell me what the test they use involves? I've done some searches and people are saying that it's not the ishihara test (Number and dots), if that's the case what test do they use? Has anyone had any difficulty with this? Has anyone failed on these grounds? did u appeal? if so what was the result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 statusz

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    I've got a quick question about colour deficiency as it's annoying me. Could someone tell me what the test they use involves? I've done some searches and people are saying that it's not the ishihara test (Number and dots), if that's the case what test do they use? Has anyone had any difficulty with this? Has anyone failed on these grounds? did u appeal? if so what was the result?

The test involves seeing a colour in the middle with four or five around it and one of the colours around it will be similar to the middle colour but not exactly the same. You pick the colour you think is closest to the middle one.

Advertisement