Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

I just Googled PSNI and steroid use. Found a Pdf. It's a bit long.

Substances that will be tested for are those listed in the Misuse of Drugs Act and include: (aa) Amphetamines (including ecstasy); (bb) Benzodiazepines; (cc) Cannabis; (dd) Cocaine; (ee) Opiates; (ff) Ketamine; (l) Where testing is carried out because there is reasonable cause to suspect, on the basis of intelligence, that a serving police officer, police staff member, non police personnel in a role as detailed in Appendix ‘A’ has used a controlled drug. The testing may cover one other controlled drug or drugs in addition to the controlled drugs listed above, provided that the individual is informed prior to testing of the drug(s) or drug group(s) for which he or she is to be tested;

Overview

Alcohol and/or other substance misuse may manifest itself as specific acute symptoms and signs attributable to the actions of alcohol and/or substances. If the misuse becomes a regular occurrence or develops into addiction, then non-specific changes in behaviour normally develop over a period of time. Listed below are some commonly used drugs, and the acute observable symptoms and signs. It must be noted, however, that the regulations limit drug testing to Amphetamines (including ecstasy), Cannabis, Cocaine, Opiates and Benzodiazepines only. Careful consideration should be given to the legality of testing for other drugs not currently covered by the regulations. Some examples of acute observable symptoms and signs are:

Anabolic Steroids

(1) Anabolic steroids are abused by athletes and body builders to increase muscle bulk. As well as their anabolic (muscle building) action, they also have androgenic (masculinising) actions. There are no immediate acute symptoms or signs of taking anabolic steroids, but over a period of time they cause: (a) Much more rapid weight (muscle) gain than usual; (b) Increased greasiness of skin and hair; (c) Increased spots or ‘acne’; (d) An increase in aggressive behaviour. It should be noted that anabolic steroids are not included in the regulations.

Solid post mate. Thanks very much for this.

I am not advocating the use or non use of steroids here by any means. I was simply made curious as to the answer of whether or not they actually were part of the test.

The above post adds to my own research into things that would lead me to believe that no they do not test for steroids (largely probably due to the huge cost it apparently involves)

However, I believe (by reading the above) and from other places I have read up on, if you turned up to the medical and you are huge and quite clearly taking then maybe they would request that your particular results be screened specifically for steroids?

Apologies "Johannes_Cabal" but what is your understanding of the very last line of what you have posted ("It should be noted that anabolic steroids are not included in the regulations")

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Solid post mate. Thanks very much for this.

I am not advocating the use or non use of steroids here by any means. I was simply made curious as to the answer of whether or not they actually were part of the test.

The above post adds to my own research into things that would lead me to believe that no they do not test for steroids (largely probably due to the huge cost it apparently involves)

However, I believe (by reading the above) and from other places I have read up on, if you turned up to the medical and you are huge and quite clearly taking then maybe they would request that your particular results be screened specifically for steroids?

Apologies "Johannes_Cabal" but what is your understanding of the very last line of what you have posted ("It should be noted that anabolic steroids are not included in the regulations")

I think the regulations refer to the drugs they have to screen for during the test, so the Opiates, Cannabis etc.

Then if they have reason to believe any substances that fall outside these regs are being used, they have the right to screen for those also, but are required to inform the individual that they are doing so.

From what I have read it seems that they haven't issued a definitive answer on whether or not steroids are prohibited. It could be they are viewed in a similar light as alcohol and as such are open to abuse.

It could be that if they find a candidate has tested positive for steroids, they decide what happens on an individual bases and take into account whether or not a candidate has had long term issues with them and if they would continue using whilst employed.

Although they don't test for them unless suspicious of use, they are mentioned in the Substance Misuse PDF from the PSNI so I get the impression they could err on the side of caution when making decisions due to the attributed behavioural affects.

I suppose no one knows for sure other than OHW and the decision makers.

Although they don't test for them unless suspicious of use, they are mentioned in the Substance Misuse PDF from the PSNI .....

Hmm. I may brush up on my reading skills as I cant recall seeing them mentioned! :)

Speaks a lot for my online learning and whether its going in or not haha.

That's the PDF attached, quite a long document.

That's the PDF attached, quite a long document.

I just opened the PDF and used the search function and typed in steroids lol.

• Advertisement

I just opened the PDF and used the search function and typed in steroids lol.

well this confirms my inability to read! :)

Haha. Thanks for that JCabal. Clarifies everything for me and hopefully he who asked the original question....

well this confirms my inability to read! :)

Haha. Thanks for that JCabal. Clarifies everything for me and hopefully he who asked the original question....

No problem, it's my day off so it gave me something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I just Googled PSNI and steroid use. Found a Pdf. It's a bit long.

Substances that will be tested for are those listed in the Misuse of Drugs Act and include: (aa) Amphetamines (including ecstasy); (bb) Benzodiazepines; (cc) Cannabis; (dd) Cocaine; (ee) Opiates; (ff) Ketamine; (l) Where testing is carried out because there is reasonable cause to suspect, on the basis of intelligence, that a serving police officer, police staff member, non police personnel in a role as detailed in Appendix ‘A’ has used a controlled drug. The testing may cover one other controlled drug or drugs in addition to the controlled drugs listed above, provided that the individual is informed prior to testing of the drug(s) or drug group(s) for which he or she is to be tested;

Overview

Alcohol and/or other substance misuse may manifest itself as specific acute symptoms and signs attributable to the actions of alcohol and/or substances. If the misuse becomes a regular occurrence or develops into addiction, then non-specific changes in behaviour normally develop over a period of time. Listed below are some commonly used drugs, and the acute observable symptoms and signs. It must be noted, however, that the regulations limit drug testing to Amphetamines (including ecstasy), Cannabis, Cocaine, Opiates and Benzodiazepines only. Careful consideration should be given to the legality of testing for other drugs not currently covered by the regulations. Some examples of acute observable symptoms and signs are:

Anabolic Steroids

(1) Anabolic steroids are abused by athletes and body builders to increase muscle bulk. As well as their anabolic (muscle building) action, they also have androgenic (masculinising) actions. There are no immediate acute symptoms or signs of taking anabolic steroids, but over a period of time they cause: (a) Much more rapid weight (muscle) gain than usual; (b) Increased greasiness of skin and hair; (c) Increased spots or ‘acne’; (d) An increase in aggressive behaviour. It should be noted that anabolic steroids are not included in the regulations.

I really want a cop with a handgun to be taking this rubbish :rolleyes:

I also agree with Mop's post that an applicant taking steroids is essentially gaining an unfair advantage in their PCA. Could that action be classed as cheating?

On a side note when I failed my AC last year I started robbing banks; will this affect my current application? :pac::pac: :P

No problem, it's my day off so it gave me something to do.

you don't have a day off on my pca date do you? can do that for me if you've nothing to do....

you don't have a day off on my pca date do you? can do that for me if you've nothing to do....

Haha, I do need the practice.

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »
    I really want a cop with a handgun to be taking this rubbish :rolleyes:

I also agree with Mop's post that an applicant taking steroids is essentially gaining an unfair advantage in their PCA. Could that action be classed as cheating?

On a side note when I failed my AC last year I started robbing banks; will this affect my current application? :pac::pac: :P

Yes because one: taking anabolic steroids will boost your fitness and two: it's completely comparable to robbing banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Yes because one: taking anabolic steroids will boost your fitness and two: it's completely comparable to robbing banks.

But mk1234 said it would adversely effect his cardio but be a positive effect on his muscle mass. How's that a boost to the police service in apprehending someone in a chase?? Especially if they're taken long term.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator comment:

We're going to rein in the personal comments against the OP for admitting to taking steroids guys.

Thanking you all.

-Shield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Substances that will be tested for are those listed in the Misuse of Drugs Act and include: (aa) Amphetamines (including ecstasy); (bb) Benzodiazepines; (cc) Cannabis; (dd) Cocaine; (ee) Opiates; (ff) Ketamine; (l) Where testing is carried out because there is reasonable cause to suspect, on the basis of intelligence, that a serving police officer, police staff member, non police personnel in a role as detailed in Appendix ‘A’ has used a controlled drug.

Not according to this piece of academic research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Newbie1100

Anyone any experience or know anyone that has gone through the medical with Ortho K lenses (wear them while your sleeping, take them out in the morning and vision is 100% for around 48 hours)?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

Medical passed, just a waiting game now. Merry Christmas to all here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Haven't had a minute to post on here! passed medical here too, hope everyone is safe and well and merry Christmas everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sheepsy

Well done both of you hopefully I'll be following you soon. :-)

Odd question came to mind. If they're taking the hair sample from the head I'm guessing they cut from the scalp, is it left in a noticeable state? Won't put me off either way though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

Sheepsy wrote: »

Odd question came to mind. If they're taking the hair sample from the head I'm guessing they cut from the scalp, is it left in a noticeable state? Won't put me off either way though lol

I've got short hair so he shaved two small patches from my legs. Not noticable, but he said it would've been noticable on my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

They cut it from a couple of places from the head, not right down to the scalp, you can't really tell that you have had someone hacking away at your hair if I'm honest. It's all good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

He cuts it short as he can go from several places on your head but as long as your head isn't shaved short you'll not see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Any girls wondering about this he lifts up the top section and takes it from around your crown. Couldn't tell with my hair up or down but my hairdresser did laugh at my fuzzy wee bits growing back. She's a very close friend so I was OK explaining the chopped sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sheepsy

Thanks everyone. The things I think about during this process really aren't worth worry lol

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭PCbobby

Hi all. I have just completed my PCA and passed vetting. I am now waiting for my medical date. There's a couple of things I would appreciate.

1. What experience should I expect from this point?

2. Are any others in the same position?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rustey Nail

Hey guys, I need some advice.
    I had laser surgery done on my eyes a few years ago leaving me with perfect vision. I am wondering now should I pay a visit to my optician to get the latest report on them or will this be covered when the doctor on the day of the medical puts the chart up in front of me.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PC_Ramsey1989

Quick Question

Roughly how long after the AC do you complete the Medical... just roughly what can it be between time frame

Thanks in Advance

Quick Question

Roughly how long after the AC do you complete the Medical... just roughly what can it be between time frame

Thanks in Advance

How long is a piece of string mate? I applied in JUNE 2014 didn't get my medical until the end of 2015. I'm in now though! Some guys have theirs in the next month or so and some still haven't got a date. The higher you score at the AC, the sooner you'll get processed through and get a medical date.

There was roughly 3-4 weeks between each stage for me. Vetting forms and Online Learning came at the same time, with roughly 3-4 weeks between those, the PCA, the medical and the call to get in.

Hey guys, I need some advice.
    I had laser surgery done on my eyes a few years ago leaving me with perfect vision. I am wondering now should I pay a visit to my optician to get the latest report on them or will this be covered when the doctor on the day of the medical puts the chart up in front of me.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 😀

You'll go through a full eye examination on the day so you won't need to get an u to date eye test in that respect. If there's other checks they do on your eyes in relation to the surgery then I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to have any supporting evidence of that with you. My mate had his eyes done to get in about 7 years ago as he was as blind as a bat and he got in no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

In terms of additional information, would I need supporting evidence of a medication I was put on years ago by my gp. It was for nothing major but surely you can't provide evidence for every small problem can you?

• Advertisement

Ryan561 wrote: »
    In terms of additional information, would I need supporting evidence of a medication I was put on years ago by my gp. It was for nothing major but surely you can't provide evidence for every small problem can you?

If it was in relation to an injury or illness that's already down on the form and your GP has put it done too, I can't see you needing any additional info for it especially if it's for something small. Most of us have been on anti-biotics or had pain killers prescribed to us at some point so don't worry if it's something along those lines. If it was anti - depressants or something to that fact I would worry.

Advertisement