Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ctaylorf

Army654 wrote: »
    I think reading through this forum doesn't help the nerves, I've never had any problems with my hearing but I've noticed I some Tinnitus, I'm now freaking out about my medical!

If it’s really worrying you then you could look at getting a free hearing test from specsavers? Just for peace of mind #notanad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

ctaylorf wrote: »
    If it’s really worrying you then you could look at getting a free hearing test from specsavers? Just for peace of mind #notanad!
    Yeah I will actually! no point stressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

Army654 wrote: »
    Yeah I will actually! no point stressing!

I done the specsavers test for reassurance. Lasts about 20 minutes and very informative! Specsavers actually test you in more ways than you are tested at the medical. Very worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 staffielover

Any fast trackers know approximately how long it takes from medical date to find out result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Any fast trackers know approximately how long it takes from medical date to find out result?

The next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Tedhastings13

Meant to be next day but I'm still waiting on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kw19

Regarding the medical, if you have a bmi of over 30 is it an automatic fail? I’m a regular gym goer and passed the PCA, however, according to my bmi (30.6) I’m in the obese category which does not reflect my body type. Does common sense prevail in this or should I aim to lose this weight for my upcoming medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dromore_2019

Meant to be next day but I'm still waiting on mine

Mine took 1 week and SMT 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tedhastings13

Mine took 1 week and SMT 2 weeks

Glad to hear. Was panicking, thought I'd failed because I didn't hear next day

Kw19 wrote: »
    Regarding the medical, if you have a bmi of over 30 is it an automatic fail? I’m a regular gym goer and passed the PCA, however, according to my bmi (30.6) I’m in the obese category which does not reflect my body type. Does common sense prevail in this or should I aim to lose this weight for my upcoming medical?

Those standards were lift from national police guidelines that haven't been updated in years. So probably not an automatic fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 BFast1461

Kw19 wrote: »

My BMI was around 28, wasn't brought up.
    A friend that passed through was above 30 but informed at it that he must be fit enough for it as he passed physical already so BMI wasn't a factor for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurdles123

How much notice do you normally get for the SMT? Wondering so I know how much time I’ll have to get dates sorted for being off work

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BFast1461

SMT is done at medical assessment which for me was just under a month from doing PCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Crossco

Hi All,

How is everyone?

Long time lurker, but have just got word my SMT has passed, Anyone else at the same stage? or have any experience regarding timings from now? Still waiting to hear about my vetting! All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

Crossco wrote: »
    Hi All,

How is everyone?

Long time lurker, but have just got word my SMT has passed, Anyone else at the same stage? or have any experience regarding timings from now? Still waiting to hear about my vetting! All the best.

Awaiting SMT also, many days did you have to wait for SMT result

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Crossco

I was waiting over 2 weeks in total I think from medical to SMT results

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Aimforstars

Having a slight panic. I currently have low iron related anemia which is really mild. Will this cause any problem?
    It's only slight and I take a tablet.

Having a slight panic. I currently have low iron related anemia which is really mild. Will this cause any problem?

If your GP doesn't see a functional risk in you doing the job I don't think there would be a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BruceWayne1

It’s a condition that you can manage with medication so it won’t affect your ability to do the job. Just make sure to list it on your medication for the substance misuse test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Unperturbed Zero

With what I see as the final hurdle is there something that can blindside you for the medical? To me it would make perfect sense for an individual to not even bother with the recruitment process - (with the time off work, travel and putting other plans on hold) if they don't meet the functional standards listed on the PSNI website or have a medical condition - yet quite a number here and folk I know in real life seem to fail it thus ending their journey to GV.

I doubt the applicants who make it to the medical stage "wing it" and know they don't meet a standard that disqualifies them in some way but hope to slip through on appeal.

Any insight on a common oversight by applicants at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Beanie22

Has anyone here submitted evidence for medical appeal? Just wanting to check where I send it to because OHW haven't got back to me yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 easy_p33lers

Beanie22 wrote: »
    Has anyone here submitted evidence for medical appeal? Just wanting to check where I send it to because OHW haven't got back to me yet

You email them mate. You did tell them after the fact that you'd be appealing? It starts a 30 day timeline for you to submit the evidence.

You email them mate. You did tell them after the fact that you'd be appealing? It starts a 30 day timeline for you to submit the evidence.

Thanks!
    Yeah I did, had to get an extension too but finally have everything gathered up
    Any idea how long they take to make a decision on the appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 easy_p33lers

Beanie22 wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Yeah I did, had to get an extension too but finally have everything gathered up
    Any idea how long they take to make a decision on the appeal?

24 hours for me. It'll be case by case though depending on the situation

24 hours for me. It'll be case by case though depending on the situation

Evidence submitted. Fingers crossed it's enough and hopefully hear sooner rather then later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

Any one who has done the medical know if there has to be a certain standard met for the lung capacity test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RedtopXCV

penutzimes wrote: »
    Any one who has done the medical know if there has to be a certain standard met for the lung capacity test?

There is a lung capacity test, but I dont know what the standard is

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ferriswheel_1

Hi everyone,

Looking a bit of advice if anyone can help

Done my medical and failed it went through the process to appeal it and have received an email that they want to see me for a review pre placement health assessment

Has anyone been to this before or can help to shed any light on what I may expect when I go??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Hi all. Could I ask you if anyone has had experience with the eyesight requirements, an in particular, the types of eye surgeries allowed - could i have a lens replacement surgery? I am not suitable for laser surgery and therefore, it is the type of surgery that old people get when they are getting a cataract surgery. I would appreciate any advice because Occupational health are not in the position to discuss this with me until the time of my medical comes. I however, want to be prepared in advance and to have the surgery before my medical if they will accept it. Thanks xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ohmummy

Hope someone can help, I have the medical coming up. Is the SMT done the same day?

If the medical lapses due to time (I will be away with work for three months come July) will I have to complete the medical and the SMT again? If so, are they done on the same day?

Hope this makes sense. Just looking at my annual leave allowance and hope I do not need to use nearly a weeks holiday if my medical lapses. If this is the case I will just hold off the medical until I am back. Although I do not want to lengthen the process further for myself.

Advertisement