Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I hope i dont pee on my hand:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Me and a girl had medical at same time and we both had to go in to give our samples, was kind of funny coming back out and sitting down beside each other, both of us holding on to our wee bottle of wee :D

How embarrassin?!?!:o Was there not a distinct smell of urine in the waiting room??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Hey guys,

just a quick question. I've heard of a few people being failed at the medical on weight reasons. Does anyone know what sorta max weight they allow in, or if its more based on bmi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

I have a friend who used to work in the Lab reception of the local hospital and was forever gettin warm bottles of Lucozade filled right to the brim with samples, so that it was bound to spill when you opened it....euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

And she had a time too when an old fella from the country turned up at the hatch and said, presenting her with a sample "There's me Daddy's pi5h!"

OK it is lunchtime....no more wee wee humor.....

• Advertisement

How embarrassin?!?!:o Was there not a distinct smell of urine in the waiting room??

Not really it was a tiny sample, and it was in a sealed bottle.

The question about the weight, they can fail you for BMI over 30. If you are a fat mess, lets be honest they will turn you down but if you are BMI 30 and its obvious you have a low body fat and are muscley, then you wont have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Not really it was a tiny sample, and it was in a sealed bottle.

The question about the weight, they can fail you for BMI over 30. If you are a fat mess, lets be honest they will turn you down but if you are BMI 30 and its obvious you have a low body fat and are muscley, then you wont have a problem

thank god for that. i think im about 26.1 or so, tryin to get it down, just worried about how strict they are!

You will be fine. I was worried about it as well, I have low body fat but I weigh close to 16 stone most days. Had to up the cardio for a few weeks to make sure i didnt have a high BMI. I think i was said to be offically 26 on the day... My height was measured at 6ft 3 though and im just about 6 ft 1. so that helped maybe.

My BMI is 22/23 (different charts=different readings), quite high for a girl. But its within the normal bracket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

At Christmas mine was 35.1 (fat bar steward I know) now I have been reduced to a svelte 29.4 and i'm still losing....no gym or nothing, just sensible eating and drinking (no beer :( just wine)

I put it donw to an inordinate amount of personal stress to deal with and a positive drive to lose weight for the forthcoming medical.

Now the fatness is sorted the fitness will start to be concentrated on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

dont believe that story at all :D jerkin off in a cup to get a job.. come on

its a lethal story though haha. youd feel like a right bell, though relief'd (cant spell)

smyff wrote: »
    its a lethal story though haha. youd feel like a right bell, though relief'd (cant spell)

Relieved :)

Ps- i cant spell either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Hey guys,

just looking for some advice i have my med on 1st october but work won't give me the time off because i project we are working on is going live and they say they need me in so they have put a complete block on all annual leave for the month of october!! i have rang occupational health and they say i can't change it because schedules are so tight anybody any idea's???

Looks like you have a simple choice. Go for the medical pass it, and almost definitely get in. or stick with your current job..

I say go all in, you might not get another shot at it. if it was playing poker I would say "All in te fuk" :D

GCBC are you suggesting i pull a "sickie"

i like the way you think lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

just looking for some advice i have my med on 1st october but work won't give me the time off because i project we are working on is going live and they say they need me in so they have put a complete block on all annual leave for the month of october!! i have rang occupational health and they say i can't change it because schedules are so tight anybody any idea's???

I agree with GCBC, if you wanna be a cop, pull a sicky.
    If you don't you might SERIOUSLY regret it, this is quite possibly the next 20/30 year of your life your looking at here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Pull a sickie. Its a no brainer.

Thats what it seems i'm best to do!! glad to see there are plenty of like minded people on here lol. i gotta take this chance to take my dream career don't wanna be working in the same place next year let alone 20/30years and yes while probably looking at this forum still!!

You do look a bit peaky!:p

tell me about it!! think i'm coming down with something or other!! possibly a reaction to loss of holiday tan!!! and loss of stomach contens whilst running last night!!:D

• Advertisement

tell me about it!! think i'm coming down with something or other!! possibly a reaction to loss of holiday tan!!! and loss of stomach contens whilst running last night!!:D

OOH. That does sound nasty!

I wasnt even thinking of a sickie, I was thinking along the lines of just quitting and hoping you pass the medical.. but I guess a sickie is a bit more sensible :D

You got the pic of Matt Damon on your sig?
    Answer on the general or girls thread tho please, dont want to veer any more off topic than we already have on this thread!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Just wondering guys, anyone got word of a medical yet who did ac july and vetting forms early september??? still early days I hope lol....

integra1 wrote: »
    Just wondering guys, anyone got word of a medical yet who did ac july and vetting forms early september??? still early days I hope lol....

I got Vetting forms early Sept - I'd say we have a fair wait for medicals to be honest. I'd love to get med before Christmas but cant see it. But you never know!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

girl at recruitment on phone sort of gave me the impression they are running along side now....time will tell...merit list is fast approaching...the 'bangor reserves' are up the left!! lol

integra1 wrote: »
    girl at recruitment on phone sort of gave me the impression they are running along side now....time will tell...merit list is fast approaching...the 'bangor reserves' are up the left!! lol

I hear you but I think they might be taking the medicals in order that the vetting went out, the earlier ones will have vetting completed or nearing completion by this point and therefore would make sense to put them through medicals first as they can then be ready to fill squad places.

Also and very unfortunately, the general situation " out there" is deteriorating and I have heard from more than one source that serious numbers of RCs,males especially, are dropping out or not taking up training places offered to them. Therefore, if what we all logically believe to be true, actually is, ie that squads are balanced background/age and sex wise then there may be an urgency to get the right kind of candidate ready for the off ahead of others to fill squads as needed.

Did I ramble too much there?
    Sorry!!

I wasnt even thinking of a sickie, I was thinking along the lines of just quitting and hoping you pass the medical.. but I guess a sickie is a bit more sensible :D

you have no idea how much i wish i could do that!! if only i knew i was certian of a place in trainng!!! And yes MGH it was nasty it just came out of nowhere while i was doing that 5k runnin plan you posted ages ago!! a wee old man came alone with a dog 2 and asked if i was ok. i said yeah just overdone it a bit and ran off slightly embarrassed lol

you have no idea how much i wish i could do that!! if only i knew i was certian of a place in trainng!!! And yes MGH it was nasty it just came out of nowhere while i was doing that 5k runnin plan you posted ages ago!! a wee old man came alone with a dog 2 and asked if i was ok. i said yeah just overdone it a bit and ran off slightly embarrassed lol

I really need to start that running plan. Scared tho. I am really not a runner. Need to get stuck in! EEK!

Cannot imagine running so much I barf though!!!:eek:

Still, wanna ace that medical when and if it is ever my turn!
    No pain no gain!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Relieved :)

Ps- i cant spell either!

I hear you but I think they might be taking the medicals in order that the vetting went out, the earlier ones will have vetting completed or nearing completion by this point and therefore would make sense to put them through medicals first as they can then be ready to fill squad places.

Also and very unfortunately, the general situation " out there" is deteriorating and I have heard from more than one source that serious numbers of RCs,males especially, are dropping out or not taking up training places offered to them. Therefore, if what we all logically believe to be true, actually is, ie that squads are balanced background/age and sex wise then there may be an urgency to get the right kind of candidate ready for the off ahead of others to fill squads as needed.

Did I ramble too much there?
    Sorry!!

yeah ive been told that too. but a different person i know said its not true. if i was offered a spot, i wouldnt think twice about it. if i get my vetting and medical that is :). i s'pose they might think security is an issue, but they are missing out on a helllll of a job!

Advertisement