Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

el_nino_9 wrote: »
    maybe she just liked you better, :p, did you ring up for your merit number again though or specifically about your medical?

specifically bout the medical, was hoping i would have at least been scheduled for one :( ah well, no news is good news and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭el_nino_9

squirrel81 wrote: »
    specifically bout the medical, was hoping i would have at least been scheduled for one :( ah well, no news is good news and all that

thats probably why then, i tried to be cheeky and ask for my merit number all over again! im sure it will come along sooner rather than later. though depends if they are doing it in merit number order or in conjunction with vetting. its jus one big mystery. yeh no news is good news! what was yout merit number? if you dont mind me asking!

thats probably why then, i tried to be cheeky and ask for my merit number all over again! im sure it will come along sooner rather than later. though depends if they are doing it in merit number order or in conjunction with vetting. its jus one big mystery. yeh no news is good news! what was yout merit number? if you dont mind me asking!

155-175, what bout you? i think its my vetting holding things up :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭el_nino_9

squirrel81 wrote: »
    155-175, what bout you? i think its my vetting holding things up :o

thats a super score, i would say you are definitely in if you pass medical and vetting. mine is 250 - 275, non rc! im hoping thers a good few RCs before me, and or course have to pass medical and vetting! you live abroad before or something?

thats a super score, i would say you are definitely in if you pass medical and vetting. mine is 250 - 275, non rc! im hoping thers a good few RCs before me, and or course have to pass medical and vetting! you live abroad before or something?

cheers, and well done you!!:) Not abroad, but across the water for a few years, lots of student addresses and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I would say that medicals are sent to those whose vetting is nearing completion OR perhaps even more likely, since they said they run along side each other, they are sent to those whose vetting isn't likely to be long and drawn out.

I haven't led an exciting enough life to fail vetting (well, I hope not anyway) so I got a med date fairly soon after posting the vets away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Hey all got medical 2morrow and nervous about it lol guess who isn't sleeping tonight lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

All the best of luck.... esp with the hair removal!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Hey all got medical 2morrow and nervous about it lol guess who isn't sleeping tonight lol

Have a joint to relax man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Have a joint to relax man! :D

:eek::eek::eek:

That's one way of dealing with the competition! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Done my medical today. Seemed to go fine. Although I'm slightly concerned about some parts of my medical history. Only time will tell though.

First impressions of the PSNI compound are slightly intimidating. It's ugly. Like a couple of giant breeze-blocks with windows. Immediatley reminded me of school, which isn't a great start. Loads of police vehicles scattered about the place too, which doesn't help ease the nerves.

Anyway, the folks conducting the examinations are great. Very amiable. Oh, and if you think you've spotted UTV's Frank Mitchell, it's the doctor.

Make sure you drink plenty of water before going in as the first thing they ask you to do is give a urine sample.

They take four cuttings of hair for the drugs screening. It's looks like quite a bit but in my case it wasn't noticeable at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

They never took hair samples at my medical, must be more strict this time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

They never took hair samples at my medical, must be more strict this time round

The procedure is new apparently, the "Collections Technician" told me.

BTW its not just the PSNI who employ this technique, apparently Tesco's are the firm's biggest account for Substance Misuse Testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

pablissimo wrote: »
    The procedure is new apparently, the "Collections Technician" told me.

BTW its not just the PSNI who employ this technique, apparently Tesco's are the firm's biggest account for Substance Misuse Testing.

I heard (from a friend that is a serving PSNI PC), that they can and do take blood from those with no/very short hair. Can any one confirm this? I keep my head shaved down very short (not balding!) and hope they can take blood instead.

They will probably just take pubic hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Back, crack or sack?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

Has anyone had their medical already? How long did it take for your results to come out?
    And also, I had mine on Monday, and as we were going through everything the nurse would just say..that was good, or those are fine. But when I was in with the doctor, she didn't even tell me what my blood pressure was? Eek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Hi, they will tell you if there is something up.

You would probably know yourself, anyway.

TBH that was the easiest Medical I ever had. I was an Air Traffic Controller some years ago and for the first medical I had to strip and don a surgical gown, and the LADY doctor checked my testicles with her cold hands ....:eek: They also gave me an ECG and took various bloods etc...it took a good 4 hours.

There was none of that on Monday. It was a case of get in have a wee chat with the nurse, eyes, ears, heart beat, BP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

Yeah, I was surprised at how quick it went! I thought there would have been a lot of waiting about, but the nurse did all my stuff at once, then the little hearing test and then in with the doctor!
    Was nowhere as bad as i expected!
    Your last medical sounds simply delightful! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

kelso69 wrote: »
    I heard (from a friend that is a serving PSNI PC), that they can and do take blood from those with no/very short hair. Can any one confirm this? I keep my head shaved down very short (not balding!) and hope they can take blood instead.

They can take blood cos it's in the legislation tho my understanding is that they will take head hair followed by armpit hair followed by chest hair. Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Anyone received a medical invite in the post this week....??? I wonder what way they are going out? Still waiting this end....:confused:usual story lol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

bobbin88 wrote: »
    Has anyone had their medical already? How long did it take for your results to come out?
    And also, I had mine on Monday, and as we were going through everything the nurse would just say..that was good, or those are fine. But when I was in with the doctor, she didn't even tell me what my blood pressure was? Eek.
    yes i done mine last wednesday and got the passd fit letter today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

hey guys, i am doing my medical sometime between last week and next week and my merit number is greater than 2 yet less than 875.

2 weeks ago i was given what i thot was a roll up after i smoked my friends started laughin at me. it turned out to be a joint, does any 1 no if it matters if u consent to the joint.

i no this sounds like a wind up but i am asking in all sincerity.

please dont judge, i no i shuldnt have done it but its dun.

Penis Eye wrote: »
    hey guys, i am doing my medical sometime between last week and next week and my merit number is greater than 2 yet less than 875.

2 weeks ago i was given what i thot was a roll up after i smoked my friends started laughin at me. it turned out to be a joint, does any 1 no if it matters if u consent to the joint.

Your name should be penis head.. :D:D

You thought it was a roll up? Would you not notice the difference in smell?

If you want to appeal based on the grounds that you didnt know what it was, and you think it will make a difference, then I dont know what planet you are on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

i was kinda drunk at the time so sense of smell wasnt too gud.

well ill not smoke any cigs or roll ups again.

penis head ha ha good 1.

ill change my name if u change urs to goodcockbadcock! lol

penis head ha ha good 1.

:D:D:D

Suits me actually, sometimes it lets me down... oops

Well to be serious here, you wont get any kind of sympathy for not knowing, you will just be failed and thats that. You might get lucky and not get caught.... but if you do get caught it will probably affect you in later campaings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

penis head ha ha good 1.

Correct me if i'm wrong but cannabis is out of the system in only 2 weeks or less depending on how much you take? :confused:

I don't think it was a wise move there penis-eye!!

It stays in hair samples for alot longer though I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

It stays in hair samples for alot longer though I think

Yep mate you're right, i overlooked that and was only going by urine sample... hair sample however up to 2 years! and you might just wanna shave ur head there mate!! If you wanna stand a chance of not screwing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Jaysus, you think you'll have problems. I'll test positive for........peroxide....noooooo not a natural blonde!!

Seriously tho, you did a stoopid thing, if it was me I'd confess because if it shows on the test and you keep schtum then how does that look? Your integrity is immediately thrown into doubt.

Advertisement