Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

again, id like to point out that im not refering to the powder incident here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Maura, a good post. I agree with you in principal. We aren't all saints. Infact none of us are, it's just the level of sin that separates us. Rehabilitation means just that; it is a treatment or cure. The very fact that people learn from their mistakes is the important factor. I believe that if your current attitude reflects that of a police officer then that is what's vitaly important. If you snort a line of xxxx the week before your medical, how can you you seriously take on the role of arbitrator so soon afterwards? There is a fine line here, and I don't mean of the powdered variety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

It's as if you knew what I was typing Maura! Damn my transparency :D

the puns are flyin these days! Penis(n)eye would be proud!
    glad im understood. just tryin to be realistic tho i do understand that you sacrifice this for your integrity as an officer. Its just on no moral highground yet as a 22yr old civilian :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Maura2145 wrote: »
    Of course its wrong but (pre-recruitment) people are people and the reality is this does go on and people make mistakes. And I can imagine that they couldnt be regretted more than right now!

Regretting it because they know it's wrong, or regretting it simply because they've just realised they've potentially screwed up their chances of getting in after all the hard work to get to this stage? :)

• Advertisement

ideally both?! ;)

Definately the latter!

Well who knows really. One may go hand in hand with the other. The frustration of the situation may be closely followed by a critical self anaylsis and re-evaluation

A friend of mine was at his medical this week and had his armpit hair taken (pretty much bald under there now) and the 'contractor' commented on how strange it was the amount of bald heads theyd seen the past few weeks ;)

You certainly seem to be the type that's always looking for the good in people. A noble trait. Maybe I'm just being too cynical, but I have a natural distrust for regret that follows being caught for something.

If anyone's looking to cheat the test by removing hair, they'd need a full body wax. They'd also need to have the blood drained from their system and even then there's probably some other way of testing.

yea in fact I would imagine any hair they would take from any area other than a head would tell alot more, as it wouldnt grow as fast or be replaced as quick.

As far as other samples such as blood, urine or saliva are concerned, they arent as telling. Hair tests will tell a years history and the other tests usually in and around a month.

Im thinkin ill have to free up some hair on my head as its all caught up in hair extensions i got in thailand, wouldnt want them testin those and findin heroin or somethin in there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

carlty888 wrote: »
    You certainly seem to be the type that's always looking for the good in people. A noble trait. Maybe I'm just being too cynical, but I have a natural distrust for regret that follows being caught for something.

If anyone's looking to cheat the test by removing hair, they'd need a full body wax. They'd also need to have the blood drained from their system and even then there's probably some other way of testing.

I've been shaving my head for a couple of years now so I hope they don't think I'm a druggie. :D

I have plenty of hair in other places to test in any case. ;)

well thats always a good thing. ive got quite a hairy chest myself they can work away with

I'd just like to clarify that I don't think that all people with shaved heads are looking to cheat the system. I'd have mine shaved, but the wife won't let me. I'm whipped!

Maura2145 wrote: »
    well thats always a good thing. ive got quite a hairy chest myself they can work away with

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thats exactly the look i got from the boardies when i revealed it at the last night out. isnt that right JVB?

Vetting and Medicals seem to be working separate from each other i take it? I only sent my vetting off last week

Unfortunately the vetting and medicals run side-by-side. Getting a medical does not mean you've passed the vetting. I really wish it did, as it and the drugs test are the only things that I'm waiting on now.

Good luck with the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

got a few good laughs in the last few pages of this thread. with regards to the guys who took the fake roll up and the lemsip powder, i had a look around online there and found a page on psni recruitment that said that failing a hair sample test this time round will not affect your future applications so even if this does screw you over this time round, it shouldnt affect your future campaigns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

carlty888, when I did my med on monday, the guy taking the hair sample test said the results are sent back to seapark, so i assumed if you get a medical pass letter that means you have passed the drug test as well? Perhaps I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

anyone who starts next week, did we fill in any bank details at any stage since getting in? I know we never at the SRN but did we send back any via post? just changing banks and not sure who all i need to inform of the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

anyone who starts next week, did we fill in any bank details at any stage since getting in? I know we never at the SRN but did we send back any via post? just changing banks and not sure who all i need to inform of the change.

Don't think so mate, only letters we've had back since the phone call is the trainee pack and I don't remember filling in my bank details there.
    I think we'll do it sometime in the first week, they would want to make sure we are still interested first and as the seargent said, a few people don't turn up. So im guessing when we're all accounted for, that's when they'll start taking details like that...
    I hope that's right!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Thanks Mr anderson just been up to the eye balls sorting out bank payments and changing account and also hunting down money Im owed, real pain in arse, its distracting me from learning definitions :D

Thanks Mr anderson just been up to the eye balls sorting out bank payments and changing account and also hunting down money Im owed, real pain in arse, its distracting me from learning definitions :D

Banks in general...nuisances!! I know what you mean though, best to get it all sorted out now!
    I hav to try get rid of oasis tickets now too cos they're playing in belfast when we're training!
    I eat, sleep and dream about definitions now!!

bobbin88 wrote: »
    carlty888, when I did my med on monday, the guy taking the hair sample test said the results are sent back to seapark, so i assumed if you get a medical pass letter that means you have passed the drug test as well? Perhaps I'm wrong.

Afraid not buddy. The medical and the drugs testing are done seperately. It only took 4 days for me to get my medical results through and I doubt the hair sample could have been sent off (to England I think) and a result sent back to Seapark within that timeframe.

Something else to wait for in the post. Just what I need! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Afraid not buddy. The medical and the drugs testing are done seperately. It only took 4 days for me to get my medical results through and I doubt the hair sample could have been sent off (to England I think) and a result sent back to Seapark within that timeframe.

Something else to wait for in the post. Just what I need! :rolleyes:

I never received a durgs test pass letter.
    My med was ages ago, and i'm still in the running as i got that other letter this morning and got my merit the other day.
    So i'd say the one pass letter is all you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

i don't believe that lemsip story for one minute. who could be that thick?

If he and mr.roll up go ahead with their medicals...expect everyone to move down a few merit places!

I never received a durgs test pass letter.
    My med was ages ago, and i'm still in the running as i got that other letter this morning and got my merit the other day.
    So i'd say the one pass letter is all you get.

One pass letter would be great, but it could be that they are sending the hair samples off for testing 'en masse', so that could explain why you've been waiting. The two weeks was only an estimate anyway.

Don't forget that the first people to do the A/C's had to wait 6 weeks for their results, but everyone after that only had to wait about 2 weeks. Some only waited a matter of days.

You'd probably be surprised at how many people could be that thick. Particularly when drink comes into the equation.

If we're lucky enough to get into the force, we'll no doubt come across plenty of this type of story. I can't wait. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

if youve a decent amount of hair on your head, havent had the chap in a few months do they still rip out your pit hairs? or is the head amount sufficient

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BadCopGingerCop

Hi guys n gals,

got a letter yesterday to say my old knee injury means Im "unfit". To enlighten you all, I had a bad knee three years ago and have been at physio since.

It's now cool and Im back to sports and strength training. Consultants say its grand, but medical says "unfit".

Should I appeal? and if so, any tips?

(ps. if i sound slights p***ed off, it's coz im well ragin)

merit between 30-40 and one hell of a fine upstanding citizens i tells thee, and Im being pulled up on the fact I've worked my ass off to get my knee back in shape!

Anyways, PM me you have any solid advice.

Advertisement