Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Hi guys n gals,

got a letter yesterday to say my old knee injury means Im "unfit". To enlighten you all, I had a bad knee three years ago and have been at physio since.

It's now cool and Im back to sports and strength training. Consultants say its grand, but medical says "unfit".

Should I appeal? and if so, any tips?

(ps. if i sound slights p***ed off, it's coz im well ragin)

merit between 30-40 and one hell of a fine upstanding citizens i tells thee, and Im being pulled up on the fact I've worked my ass off to get my knee back in shape!

Anyways, PM me you have any solid advice.

i would defos appeal. no doubt about it. show them any records of improvement. like if you have a personal trainer or anything. its not something youd want to waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

I never received a durgs test pass letter.
    My med was ages ago, and i'm still in the running as i got that other letter this morning and got my merit the other day.
    So i'd say the one pass letter is all you get.

Insp,what two letters are you referring to? :confused: I have recieved a letter to say that i have a merit no form consensia & that medicals & vetting may follow but that the process takes a longtime etc do not contact the office as it slows admin etc..

Can i ask, what is the other letter you are referring to? Also, did your merit letter contain such detail as i have briefly outlined?:confused:

I would be grateful if yopu or an other boardie could help me out on this;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

carlty888 wrote: »
    One pass letter would be great, but it could be that they are sending the hair samples off for testing 'en masse', so that could explain why you've been waiting. The two weeks was only an estimate anyway.

Don't forget that the first people to do the A/C's had to wait 6 weeks for their results, but everyone after that only had to wait about 2 weeks. Some only waited a matter of days.

To be honest I don't see why they would send out a letter telling you you've passed the drugs test. They probably see it as, you should know the result yourself and don't need a letter to tell you so.
    I do believe they would send one out if you failed.

I watched the guy who took my hair sample put the sealed package in his own bag. I'm guessing he is responsible for sending them to the lab (as it's his company's responsibility). Why would he hang onto them all and send all the batches out together?

Insp,what two letters are you referring to? :confused: I have recieved a letter to say that i have a merit no form consensia & that medicals & vetting may follow but that the process takes a longtime etc do not contact the office as it slows admin etc..

Can i ask, what is the other letter you are referring to? Also, did your merit letter contain such detail as i have briefly outlined?:confused:

I would be grateful if yopu or an other boardie could help me out on this;)

I'm talking about the letter I got this morning, the stock one that says "DONT CALL US WE'LL CALL YOU!!!"

I'm also talking about the medical pass letter and whether or not there is a seperate letter about passing the drugs test

Don't panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

Well the guy defo did say to me that the drugs results were sent back to Seapark, so i assumed that a medical pass would mean drugs test pass?
    He also said to me when he was sealing up the little pack and stuff, that the little barcode they stick on the top left hand corner, is to quote if you are worried about your results and ring them directly to see. Other than that, i assumed that you don't get the results at all, other than a medical fail on the grounds that you failed the substance misuse test.
    But hey, who really knows?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Hi guys n gals,

got a letter yesterday to say my old knee injury means Im "unfit". To enlighten you all, I had a bad knee three years ago and have been at physio since.

It's now cool and Im back to sports and strength training. Consultants say its grand, but medical says "unfit".

merit between 30-40 and one hell of a fine upstanding citizens i tells thee, and Im being pulled up on the fact I've worked my ass off to get my knee back in shape!

Definitely appeal. Get a letter from your consultant/physio etc to back you up, even if you have to go private, it'd be ashame to come this far and not push for more.... it's not like you are nearly blind or deaf or habe a serious heart defect or something. I think then they'll put you through the assault course up at GV to assess you up there (why that isn't part of the whole process I don't know, it used to be when I applied a few years ago....) just bear in mind they are likely looking for the slightest excuse to declare folk unfit, mainly due to the large numbers they have to pick from!

Hi guys n gals,

Appeal - You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Ok all... the facts on the drugs test are
    1. It's seperate to the medical, a letter saying you have passed your medical does not mean you have passed the drug test
    2. They take head hair, armpit hair and chest hair in that order. If you cannot provide a sample without a genuine reason, e.g. alopeca, you will not pass the drug test
    3. If you have taken anything it will show up... there is a zero tolerance on this so best you cancel your medical and try again next year. Don't know whether people will be charged as a result of positive tests but it is something to bear in mind! (not meaning to be scarey... that's just my thoughts)
    4. If you test positive while it may not effect you reapply it will make your next vetting check a hell of a lot harder

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

how many months do they test up to? 3 isnt it? for the lemsip and rollie guys, incase they get lucky and medicals after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Hi guys n gals,

hey i defo think you should appeal as inspecter 71 ses u have nothin to lose and a lot to gain. you'll be ragin if you kneely make it thru and dont appeal pun intended!!

well guys i have decided im just gonna go for my medical. i no i could test positive but what if im not. and im big enough to own up to my mistakes. worst that can happen is i can get chucked out of campaign but im determined to be an officer of the law and i shall just reapply with a clean sheet next time i can.

in the words of alfred " why do we fall down?, so we can pick ourselves up again!" i think that applies to everyone not just bruces everywhere!!

in response to mauras question about my name it kinda is deliberate, i liked the thought of being a detective -> private detective -> private eye, penis = private parts and also sounds a bit like psn. hope im not offending any ne. if i am pm me and i can set up another account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

smyff wrote: »
    how many months do they test up to? 3 isnt it? for the lemsip and rollie guys, incase they get lucky and medicals after!

They take 3cm for head hair which equates to 3 months however for anyone who is giving armpit or chest hair because of the slower growth rates the period of time being tested may well be longer. So anyone trying to "fiddle" by shaving their heads may end up doing themselves more harm then good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Hi guys n gals,

A guys posted earlier in the thread that he failed the medical as he was diagnosed with depression when he was 16. He appealed, and spent £400 getting a report from a private psychiatrist to say he was of sound mind. He got in. So yeah, I would say you have a very good chance of being successful on appeal if you get plenty of professional evidence to say your fit.

Did the doctor give you any indication at the time of the examination that your knee may cause a problem?

Dreamer_Ire: People who test positive for drugs will NOT be charged with any offense. I'm not aware of any law that makes it illegal to have even an illegal drug in your system, even if it's pretty solid evidence for having possessed it at one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Would hate to be in the position where I have to appeal stuff like this. It might be hard to get them to reconsider though, I remember reading that when it comes to backs and knees, they are very strict and dont like taking chances with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

ps bcgc well done on the high merit score. although it got me thinkin how it would feel if u rang up the merit list ppl (i doubt that is there official title) and asked for your position. "hold on a minute sir, yes your merit number is 1". imagine how class you would feel if it happened.

well ill try for number 1 next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

BCGC, my mate appealed his and got in, repetitive strain injury in his wrist, but got in once appealed it...hang in there man!

PS ANY MEDICAL INVITES RECEIVED THIS WEEK BY BOARDIE'S GUYS??? :confused:cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Chris86

I didn't get in :(

got a letter saying that although I passed everything i didn't score high enough in the merit list.

Lost at what to do now! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Chris86 wrote: »

got a letter saying that although I passed everything i didn't score high enough in the merit list.

gutted for you mate, you have to keep the faith and try next time with the added experience of applying this time round!

did you find out your merit number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Not great news at all mate, feel for you on that one!

You have the experience now, so when C15 comes about, im sure you'll do a lot better! :)

thanks guys,

No didn't find out my merit number decided not knowing was best. In case I jinxed myself. haha

Oh well maybe next time if i apply again.
    Am absolutely gutted now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

After you had come this far, it really must be such a crap feeling to be told you're not in!
    Look on the bright side though, next time you will know what to expect, and with help from this board, im sure you'll do a lot better :)

• Advertisement

chris 86 did you pass vetting/medical the heap???

Sorry to hear that mate....

no, sent off my vetting forms.
    So when a letter arrived i was very excited only to realise everthing had just come crashing down! Ba****ds

They took like 3 months to tell me id wasn't in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

no, sent off my vetting forms.
    So when a letter arrived i was very excited only to realise everthing had just come crashing down! Ba****ds

They took like 3 months to tell me id wasn't in!

Really sorry to hear that pal. Do you know if it was due to your merit placing or was it something to do with your vetting?

Am in work at the min, but Im pretty sure the letter just said something along the lines of....

Even though you have passed the AC, due to your merit placing you wouldn't have been able to advance any further.

nothing about vetting forms or anything.

Am in work at the min, but Im pretty sure the letter just said something along the lines of....

Even though you have passed the AC, due to your merit placing you wouldn't have been able to advance any further.

nothing about vetting forms or anything.

I was in a similar situation last year. I returned vetting forms and went for a medical and then got the Dear John due to my merit placing. That sucked! :mad:

It'd be so much easier if you got the Dear John before having your hopes built up by the vetting dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

carlty888 wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation last year. I returned vetting forms and went for a medical and then got the Dear John due to my merit placing. That sucked! :mad:

It'd be so much easier if you got the Dear John before having your hopes built up by the vetting dept.

Were you able to get your merit placing last year before the 'Dear John' arrived? Or was it one of those 'borderline' scores that keep you in the dark?

MrFug wrote: »
    Were you able to get your merit placing last year before the 'Dear John' arrived? Or was it one of those 'borderline' scores that keep you in the dark?

I was early 600's. The vetting was returned in November 07, medical in December 07 and I received the Dear John in January 08.

In hindsight I probably should have been surprised to get vetting forms and a med with such a (relatively) high merit number. I've just come to the assumption that I was part of some excessive wastage.

It's certainly taught me that getting the vetting and medical doesn't mean you'll get in. Recruitment moves in mysterious ways. :rolleyes:

I have said to you before Cartly, strange one as we are both same background and both male, but i got late 400s last time and didnt even get vetting never mind medical...strange old system I tell ye!:eek: and theres you getting put through both with a merit score in 600s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

He may have done his ac before you did yours and before the merit list was done, so they didnt know for sure if he would be needed or not so they vetted him anyways for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Hi guys n gals,

m8t im really sorry to hear that!! i know how you feel i got knocked back on my medical for c13 about my knee pending further opinion, i tore the cartlidge in a gaelic football incident!! i went to see a orthapaedic surgeon who advised me i will need surgeory, to amend the problem, totally gutted as my score going by others who have been accepted into training is high enough! if you need any advice Pm, i will try toi help you out the best i can

given 1

Advertisement