Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

for those who know about my knee and care for me:P im going in for my operation monday week, bricking it but it has to be done!!hpefully all the money ive spent pays of!!thanks to all those who have showen there support in the past... ill let yous know how i get on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

best of luck given for that mate...

Anyone received a medical invite this week? sorry to labour the point just curious????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

hey folks as i said i was going to go for the medical and face the music with regards to the dope smoking incident.

well i got the letter today and after reading halfway down it i realised i passed everything. was extremely pleased with this as i have asthma and a bmi of 34 when i started training. i managed to get that down to 29.8 with serious training.

i am wondering if i read something about next campaign not having to do ll the stuff if you passed everything but failed to get in in this campaign? or is that just wishfull thinking?

gud luck given1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Frankly i was shocked by the medical.
    I see folks here getting referrals for admitting to sports injuries and stuff, but what about people who have pre-existing medical ailments? I have creaky knees, that sort of crack going up the stairs, not sore but my old man has recently had his two knees replaced, and its stands to reason that I am in the same boat as him. But touching my toes and going down on my two knees was all the doctor did to check my movement & physicality, and I am good to go....
    I know of someone last year who failed because of a period of time he had off work because of stress. He had worked in the Civil Service and used the stress line as a young (possibly immature) employee. His doctor REFUSED to complete the MHQ positively and therefore he did not succeed. His AC was VERY good, too.
    This year, I believe he changed GP and didn't have the same problems.

Moral of the story....be a bit economic with the truth on your MHQ....

I still can't believe that 20 minutes with the Doc (OK you see the nurse too) is enough to qualify you as FIT.

In the bad old days (ie for RUC applications) you had to complete a fitness test: 45 sit ups in a minute, 30 proper press ups in a minute, sprinting beep test, strength test....etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Penis Eye wrote: »
    hey folks as i said i was going to go for the medical and face the music with regards to the dope smoking incident.

well i got the letter today and after reading halfway down it i realised i passed everything. was extremely pleased with this as i have asthma and a bmi of 34 when i started training. i managed to get that down to 29.8 with serious training.

i am wondering if i read something about next campaign not having to do ll the stuff if you passed everything but failed to get in in this campaign? or is that just wishfull thinking?

gud luck given1.

cheers,

lol thats a releif for the medical, and well done on the training! for your questioon m8t, i think its just wishfull thinking, as far as i know you have to do a medical for every campaign you apply for even if you passed the previous one but didntnt get offered a place due to your merit etc etc!the only way i dont think you have to do it is if you defer into another campaign..

• Advertisement

Hey Mr P Eye, when was you medical?

I was worried about weight too as I was a fatter bar steward until recently. I lost 3.5 stones (and a fat @rsed wife :eek:) since this time last year. I now am just a fat bar steward. My BMI was 28 on my medical, still got some work to do tho.

Did your substance test come through OK?

If so, you are a fecking lucky man. :cool:

AFAIK everything has to be done AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Vetting too, though if you are cleared this time, it will stand for your application next time as they will have less to do, they will just look at change of circumstances from you last vetting.

But you will need to repeat the IST, AC and medical. Oh Joy of Joys..

thats not good news about having to do everything again. oh well. me own fault.

did the medical at the beginning of the week. dont wanna say exact day but they let me no really quickly. havent heard back from the hair sample yet they told me it would be 14 days and the result would be sent back to my poin of contact in the oh+w department. they told me to ring if i was worried.

well im quite pleased that i got this far. had merit score of 300-350 and rc background so i would have been in good standing i think.

for the bmi during the thing she measured she measured my weight with al my clothes on so i was particularly worried. glad i wasnt wearing wet jeans with bricks in my pocket

thats not good news about having to do everything again. oh well. me own fault.

did the medical at the beginning of the week. dont wanna say exact day but they let me no really quickly. havent heard back from the hair sample yet they told me it would be 14 days and the result would be sent back to my poin of contact in the oh+w department. they told me to ring if i was worried.

well im quite pleased that i got this far. had merit score of ??? and rc background so i would have been in good standing i think.

for the bmi during the thing she measured my hieght to be ??? and put me down to ???. she measured my weight with al my clothes on so i was particularly worried. glad i wasnt wearing wet jeans with bricks in my pocket
    Ha, now all they have to do is check out who was ???cm with a BMI of ??? and did their medical recently....you might want to edit your posts, matey.

You're in with a good shout then with that merit score...and deffo 'cos of 50/50 anyway.

They are really fast with the letters. Mine should be on the mat when I get back today.

FECK!!!!!!

Now I am worried. Hope its good news. Did they say you are fit for purpose then in the letter today? Or did it just say you passed the medical? The fit for purpose one is the one you want, talks about fit for entering the PSNI Pension Scheme etc....

good luck pickin up ur little brown envelope if its there. i got the letter sayin fit for purpose. thats a good sign but like i say just have to wait till the other results come back.

do you not notice that u get a little bit more nervouse every letter you get. i wish u new wot they were gonna say before u opened them. oh well would kinda defeat the purpose of envelopes.

s for editin posts ill edit mine but i guess it would be nice if u edited urs to. lol.

• Advertisement

good luck pickin up ur little brown envelope if its there. i got the letter sayin fit for purpose. thats a good sign but like i say just have to wait till the other results come back.

do you not notice that u get a little bit more nervouse every letter you get. i wish u new wot they were gonna say before u opened them. oh well would kinda defeat the purpose of envelopes.

s for editin posts ill edit mine but i guess it would be nice if u edited urs to. lol.
    Consider it done, Captain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

ok so everyone i know keeps laughing at me over this BUT at uni I used to run about with people who smoked alot of weed, i was around them at times when they did (not to a great extent just for a few minutes here and there) will this affect the medical?? I parted ways with those 'mates' about 2-3yrs ago.

Even typing it sounds daft, but i'm bricking it as the medical is only thing in my way :mad:

quote]

I know they could do something like have the stamp put upside down if its bad news and have her the right way up if its good news. Nobody would know your business, but the Postie could at least sympathise with you or have a wee celebration....
    In fact the Royal Mail could hold back delivering upside down stamped letters til your chosen day of the week. How nice would that be?

Me, I would like only nice letters on a Saturday. ;)

I really really doubt it lol...unless they were caught in the act when you were present...chill amigo....you'll be grand!:cool:

lolli-j wrote: »
    ok so everyone i know keeps laughing at me over this BUT at uni I used to run about with people who smoked alot of weed, i was around them at times when they did (not to a great extent just for a few minutes here and there) will this affect the medical?? I parted ways with those 'mates' about 2-3yrs ago.

Even typing it sounds daft, but i'm bricking it as the medical is only thing in my way :mad:

You will be OK the Collection Technician from the drug testing firm says it is only the last 3 months they test you, your hair grows 1 cm per month approximately and they need 3 cms from the crown or the nape. Mine wasn't exactly 3cm so he just cut more. My barber gave me a number 1 later that week, and I still have baldy bits where your man scalped me. :o

I had some explaining to do.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

I got my mecial date! :D

pablissimo wrote: »
    You will be OK the Collection Technician from the drug testing firm says it is only the last 3 months they test you, your hair grows 1 cm per month approximately and they need 3 cms from the crown or the nape. Mine wasn't exactly 3cm so he just cut more. My barber gave me a number 1 later that week, and I still have baldy bits where your man scalped me. :o

I had some explaining to do.....

Oh I dont do anything myself, i'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol never mind anything stronger lol

Hmmmmm well my hair is really long so i can hide the bald patches :D Dont want my evil boss asking questions lol

kelso69 wrote: »
    I got my mecial date! :D

Lucky sod! today dude I take it?

lolli-j wrote: »

no matey it wont show up. i was doing a drug test a few years back for a company in stroke city. we all asked the usual questions about that. apparently you would have to be in a tiney tiney room with no windows or doors ( dont ask how you get in to the room) and with people smokin round the clock for it to show up in your sustem. mind you that drug test was a urine one.

i passed that one with flyin colours. good luck.

funny thing bout the hair test. dont look at the chair your sittin on when your talkin to the testers. if you do you will see a lot of peoples hair. and i mean a lot.

integra1 wrote: »
    Lucky sod! today dude I take it?

Indeed. Just filling out the questionaire as we speak. I haven't decided if I should put the week I was out for the flu this year? I mean, every one gets it now and again...

• Advertisement

Indeed. Just filling out the questionaire as we speak. I haven't decided if I should put the week I was out for the flu this year? I mean, every one gets it now and again...

at the medical doc told me to include everything. i asked if i shudda put down takin a couple of nureofen and his words were "put down everything".

way i see it if they ring your work then 1 of you will be lyin. and your work shud have records

at the medical doc told me to include everything. i asked if i shudda put down takin a couple of nureofen and his words were "put down everything".

way i see it if they ring your work then 1 of you will be lyin. and your work shud have records

I wasn't aware the PSNI contacted previous or current employers. They haven't asked me to supply details of such at any stage of the application...

I wasn't aware the PSNI contacted previous or current employers. They haven't asked me to supply details of such at any stage of the application...

thats a good point. never thot on that. well i only had 4 days off in 3 years. they werent all at once so i had flu down for a couple of days. its up to you tho.

no matey it wont show up. i was doing a drug test a few years back for a company in stroke city. we all asked the usual questions about that. apparently you would have to be in a tiney tiney room with no windows or doors ( dont ask how you get in to the room) and with people smokin round the clock for it to show up in your sustem. mind you that drug test was a urine one.

i passed that one with flyin colours. good luck.

funny thing bout the hair test. dont look at the chair your sittin on when your talkin to the testers. if you do you will see a lot of peoples hair. and i mean a lot.

Woohoo! Thanks for that....cos i'm thinkin bald would def not be a good look for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

Hi guys and gals, i've only just discovered this forum and i'm delighted! I wish i'd found it sooner.

I have my medical soon and i'm both excited and worried. I have pretty bad eyesight (not even the legal requirement for driving!) and i have asthma. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

I can't believe how much useful info there is in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

PandaPants wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals, i've only just discovered this forum and i'm delighted! I wish i'd found it sooner.

I have my medical on the soon and i'm both excited and worried. I have pretty bad eyesight (not even the legal requirement for driving!) and i have asthma. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

I can't believe how much useful info there is in here.

Welcome to the boards. It's a great resource for the circus that is PSNI recruitment.

Your eyesight will be tested both with and without specs/contacts. The exact requirements can be found on the Consensia site. Good luck with that.

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you fare on the merit list? (Don't be too specific with any details - including medical dates)

I don't know. I haven't had mine sent out yet. I only got my letter for my medical on Friday.

I'm so excited, i wish i didn't have to wait.

Although my doctor is charging me £40 to fill in the form!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

PandaPants wrote: »
    I don't know. I haven't had mine sent out yet. I only got my letter for my medical on Friday.

I'm so excited, i wish i didn't have to wait.

Although my doctor is charging me £40 to fill in the form!! :eek:

They don't send them out. You gotta ring for it. Call 028 90650222 and ask for Recruitment. They'll give you your number. This will let you know what your chances of progressing are, although receiving vetting forms and a medical invite appears to be a good sign.

I only had to pay £10 to get my MHQ completed. It was free last year! :(

carlty888 wrote: »
    They don't send them out. You gotta ring for it. Call 028 90650222 and ask for Recruitment. They'll give you your number. This will let you know what your chances of progressing are, although receiving vetting forms and a medical invite appears to be a good sign.

I only had to pay £10 to get my MHQ completed. It was free last year! :(

Ahhhh, lol. Didn't know i had to phone.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement

Im after phoning. She said im number and they are appointing 440 from this campaign.

I nearly cried, but she said you have to be in the top 220 of your community background, according to the 50/50 rule. She also said it was a good sign that i was being vetted and had a medical, as some people don't get these.

440-455 sounds crap, i must be a right thicko! lol I want to be number 1 or 2. :D

Advertisement