Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

Has any one not worn a tracksuit to the medical? I don't own any...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

There is really no need to wear a tracksuit, trust me. I wore black trousers and a cardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

squirrel81 wrote: »
    does anyone know if they take blood tests for cholesterol and the such at the medical?

That would be a pointless test since everyone has cholesterol in their body and if they didnt they would die. it would be like testing for heamoglobin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

im guessing squirrel means particularly high cholesterol or something. But no. they dont take blood tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

hey guys, how long generally are people waiting for results, had my med at start of week and so far nothing back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 OnFire

lolli-j wrote: »
    hey guys, how long generally are people waiting for results, had my med at start of week and so far nothing back

I had mine at start of week and havent heard anything yet either although I'm expecting mine to be a while saying I had problems with my hearing test. Did your medical go smoothly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

OnFire wrote: »
    I had mine at start of week and havent heard anything yet either although I'm expecting mine to be a while saying I had problems with my hearing test. Did your medical go smoothly?

Well I can't think of anything being a problem. I've a pretty nothing medical history, never even had the flu! So i'd like to think it went smoothly, just worried that it taking this long is a negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Folks,

anyone know how strict they are re sick days in the last 3 years...eg say you have had flus/upset stomachs etc a few times...

correct me if im wrong but surely the urine test indicated haemoglobin levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

That would be a pointless test since everyone has cholesterol in their body and if they didnt they would die. it would be like testing for heamoglobin.

*haemoglobin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

why would it be pointless? :confused: yes, everyone has cholesterol, but varying levels of 'good' & 'bad' cholesterol. Jeez, it was only a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Maura2145 wrote: »
    im guessing squirrel means particularly high cholesterol or something. But no. they dont take blood tests
    thanks Maura for answering that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

everyone stop the presses. the psni are doing pointless tests. in the letter i received they stated they test for 4 things in urine. protein, glucose, blood and haemoglobin. aghhhhhhhhhhhh.

oh well wot can one do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

pablissimo wrote: »
    Hey I got a latter saying I failed. It took 10 days to come from the time of the medical. A small point was it was written a week before it landed on the mat at my house so, it was either sent 2nd class or stock piled in an office somewhere. It said you failed to attain the required standard, however you may appeal with 14 days, if we don't hear from you we assume you don't want to progress....Yours etc....So I lost 7 days straight away...was a bit p1ssed off by that. I called them and they said just write a wee note to them saying I am appealing it to get the ball rolling, I didn't have to supply all information straight away. I stuck a letter in the post along with a supporting consultants report from a few years ago and told them I am prepared to undergo any adjustments necessary (as it says in the Guide to applicants)...blah blah blah....
    Will let you know how things go, have everything crossed, including my eyes, now that they have tested them lol
    Cheers and good luck to all, its starting to get close......

Good luck with that mate, how much was you hearing down by, and was it the high or low pitch frequency???

Does any one know the score on skin problems such as mild psoriasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

kelso69 wrote: »
    Does any one know the score on skin problems such as mind psoriasis?

:D
    Typo methinks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Does any one know the score on skin problems such as mind psoriasis?

I wouldn't imagine mild psoriasis could fail a medical, if it does: appeal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Well guys my long awaited medical reults are in...........

Failed on body composition but getting to do the PCA so its not all bad!!! still gutted i didn't get it first time but sure at least i'll get to go to G'ville and sample what may lie ahead!!

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Well guys my long awaited medical reults are in...........

Failed on body composition but getting to do the PCA so its not all bad!!! still gutted i didn't get it first time but sure at least i'll get to go to G'ville and sample what may lie ahead!!

Do you mean BMI was over limit?
    Anyway - Sock it to 'em at the PCA!!!!

I'm gonna kick ass at the PCA!!! i think my body fat was just slightly over so thats what failed me!!! gutted like a fish!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Griffer2: Did they tell you on the day that your BMI was over? Or did you know before hand that It would come down to body fat? As far as I'm aware they only test body fat if your BMI is greater than 30.

You did your medical on the same day as me I believe, but I've still to hear from them :(. Have to wait til Monday now! :mad:

Typo methinks!!!

Haha, well spotted!
    Fo wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine mild psoriasis could fail a medical, if it does: appeal!!

I'm hoping that's the case. It's just a little dry skin on my elbows and knees which causes no pain or discomfort. I saw my GP and he said it could mild psoriasis. I got some cream etc for it and the doc said it should clear up in a few weeks. My medical is this week, so hopefully they accept that it wont cause me any problems!

MrFug wrote: »
    Griffer2: Did they tell you on the day that your BMI was over? Or did you know before hand that It would come down to body fat? As far as I'm aware they only test body fat if your BMI is greater than 30.

You did your medical on the same day as me I believe, but I've still to hear from them :(. Have to wait til Monday now! :mad:

The doctor did say that they don't measure an applicant on their BMI because it is very inaccurate so they do a body fat test for everyone as its more accurate and they can see how fit a person is etc.... Did you get tested for body fat as well? coz if not the frank mitchell is telling me fibs ;)when i got the letter it had been date stamped with the wrong date so royal mail had to fix it and the letter was dated 4 days ago!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Without getting into too much detail i have my medical at the end of the week and here lies the problem. Ive never had cause to need a GP except when i was a student away from home a few years back - so i reregistered and when i moved back home i never bothered to get a local GP. My local clinic says it will take 2 weeks before I can see the doc I have to first fill in some forms and speak to the nurse.
    Is it possible in extreme situations to postpone or reschedule my date with destiny??
    Also, does the above scenario consitute an 'extreme situation'?
    Also, just to make things particulary difficult i have of course lost my medical card.

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks TV

Without getting into too much detail i have my medical at the end of the week and here lies the problem. Ive never had cause to need a GP except when i was a student away from home a few years back - so i reregistered and when i moved back home i never bothered to get a local GP. My local clinic says it will take 2 weeks before I can see the doc I have to first fill in some forms and speak to the nurse.
    Is it possible in extreme situations to postpone or reschedule my date with destiny??
    Also, just to make things particulary difficult i have of course lost my medical card.

Thanks TV

Interesting problem.
    I regularly PM another Boardie who has had his medical. Of all the parts of this process the medical seems by far to be the least flexible. You probably will not be able to change the date and they are very strict, he told me that people were turned away because they were LATE.

Phone the clinic back again and explain the severity of the situation and see if there is any lee-way. Failing that try another surgery.

On another good note for the rest of us still waiting, my PM friend alos backed up earier posters tales of the amount of no shows.

Which just makes me cross, why come all they way throught his and not go to the medical when people like me, PYG and Fo are all busting a gut to get in.
    But thats another convo altogether!:p

TV, ring Seapark and see how you get on and the very best of luck. :D

Thanks TV

When I returned from uni this summer I wasnt registered with my doctor at home any more. They just tempoarily registered me again which took a couple of seconds on their computer. Shouldnt really take so long to re-register especially if you were registered there before. try another surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Maura2145 wrote: »
    When I returned from uni this summer I wasnt registered with my doctor at home any more. They just tempoarily registered me again which took a couple of seconds on their computer. Shouldnt really take so long to re-register especially if you were registered there before. try another surgery

when u back frm uni?

and when is your medical? will u be back in time for it?

you have some neck on you if u miss it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

Haha, well spotted!

I'm hoping that's the case. It's just a little dry skin on my elbows and knees which causes no pain or discomfort. I saw my GP and he said it could mild psoriasis. I got some cream etc for it and the doc said it should clear up in a few weeks. My medical is this week, so hopefully they accept that it wont cause me any problems!

Just on that psoriasis one, i have had it since i was 16 it is not bad at all with a slight patch on my head and elbow, still passed the medical last year! So dont worry bout that one they are really only looking to fail people on conditions that will effect the job spec, joints, eyesight, breathing and all that good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Griffer2 wrote: »
    The doctor did say that they don't measure an applicant on their BMI because it is very inaccurate so they do a body fat test for everyone as its more accurate and they can see how fit a person is etc.... Did you get tested for body fat as well? coz if not the frank mitchell is telling me fibs ;)when i got the letter it had been date stamped with the wrong date so royal mail had to fix it and the letter was dated 4 days ago!!!

Hey,

I'm pretty sure they didn't calculate my body fat! strange. I read that they only do it if BMI is over 30.. was yours close to this? Mines was 28.1 I think, which is pretty close so I would have thought that in that case, they would have done mine....

Also, it was the nurse who did my height and weight. Frank only did joints, blood pressure, periphery visione etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

hey havemt been on this in a while, just to let yas know heading in for my operation tomorow morning on my knee:eek:!!wish me luck!! ill let yas know how i get on........

given1

Advertisement