Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

That sounds fine to me, but best check with your optician. From memory (too lazy to look it up lol) I think it's 6/18 unaided and 6/12 aided required so you are well above both of those.

Well done on the medical :)

MBC x

Hi

On the Consensia website for PSNI the eyesight requirements are stated to be minimum of 6/6 unaided or aided and 6/12 if visual aids used.... as clear as mud eh? Anytime I have had my eyes tested I am told my prescription in terms of -0.5 or something like that!

Am also wondering about the whole medical thing, did my ac last few days in July, I sent my vfs off at beginning of Sept, my merit score was mid 300, am non rc, I was sure that I'd have heard something by now.... starting to get well p'd off!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Hi

On the Consensia website for PSNI the eyesight requirements are stated to be minimum of 6/6 unaided or aided and 6/12 if visual aids used.... as clear as mud eh? Anytime I have had my eyes tested I am told my prescription in terms of -0.5 or something like that!

Am also wondering about the whole medical thing, did my ac last few days in July, I sent my vfs off at beginning of Sept, my merit score was mid 300, am non rc, I was sure that I'd have heard something by now.... starting to get well p'd off!

Hiya, yes it's very difficult to understand but this is what I showed to my optician (from the Consensia website)

Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided

(if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)

Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly

Near vision N6 aided or unaided

Normal visual fields

Severe colour deficiency not acceptable

The part that reads 6/12 in best eye if aided, means 6/12 when wearing glasses/lenses.

The unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly is what you need to be able to see without glasses/lenses.

You'd think I was actually in with a chance of getting a medical, wouldn't you? :D Well there's always C15....

MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

Hiya, yes it's very difficult to understand but this is what I showed to my optician (from the Consensia website)

Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided

(if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)

Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly

Near vision N6 aided or unaided

Normal visual fields

Severe colour deficiency not acceptable

The part that reads 6/12 in best eye if aided, means 6/12 when wearing glasses/lenses.

The unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly is what you need to be able to see without glasses/lenses.

You'd think I was actually in with a chance of getting a medical, wouldn't you? :D Well there's always C15....

MBC x

and he says looking very puzzled?. what are you two on about lol. so is 6/5 and 6/9 ok????. What yous think.

and he says looking very puzzled?. what are you two on about lol. so is 6/5 and 6/9 ok????. What yous think.

Do you wear glasses? I think it sounds like you're fine. If you're unsure at all take a long a copy of the above requirements set out by Consensia to your optician. My eyesight is pretty rubbish - I can read the second line on the normal optician's chart (just about :eek:) and my optician has told me my eyesight is borderline for PSNI requirements but 'should' be just OK (though I might need to squint a little lol). Hmmmphhh something else to worry about IF the time ever comes that I get a medical. If you had an eyetest and you don't need glasses then you've nothing to worry about in that regard.
    MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Do you wear glasses? I think it sounds like you're fine. If you're unsure at all take a long a copy of the above requirements set out by Consensia to your optician. My eyesight is pretty rubbish - I can read the second line on the normal optician's chart (just about :eek:) and my optician has told me my eyesight is borderline for PSNI requirements but 'should' be just OK (though I might need to squint a little lol). Hmmmphhh something else to worry about IF the time ever comes that I get a medical. If you had an eyetest and you don't need glasses then you've nothing to worry about in that regard.
    MBC x
    So, if glasses are OK for those who are visually impaired, are hearing aids OK for those with a drop in their hearing abilities....?

• Advertisement

pablissimo wrote: »
    So, if glasses are OK for those who are visually impaired, are hearing aids OK for those with a drop in their hearing abilities....?

i dont think must be crazy is trying to say that. were just not sure about eye requirements for medical no call to get all bothered about it now is there.

MBC x

no i dont wear glasses at all.

i dont think must be crazy is trying to say that. were just not sure about eye requirements for medical no call to get all bothered about it now is there.
    Not being hot and bothered here, love. [I always think one patronising comment deserves another lol]

I'm just asking a hypothetical question, if you read my previous posts it is one I am likely to discover the answer to in the next few weeks.

Not being hot and bothered here, love. [I always think one patronising comment deserves another lol]

I'm just asking a hypothetical question, i think that your reading to much into sadie ooo!!! when you say love!!!!!!!. im actually a guy lol. think alot of people are cacking them about the eye test. best of luck. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

im more worried about the hearing test than the eyesight one. I once had a hearing test in a previous job, and although I passed it, it really flustered me. Too many bl**dy beeps! You come out of it paranoid that what you heard wasnt a beep at all :p

• Advertisement

squirrel81 wrote: »
    im more worried about the hearing test than the eyesight one. I once had a hearing test in a previous job, and although I passed it, it really flustered me. Too many bl**dy beeps! You come out of it paranoid that what you heard wasnt a beep at all :p

i think the hearing test is straight forward. they have a level you have to reach. handy enough. i did hearing test for fire service and that would be more harder than police hearing test i think.

I have no idea, to be honest - I'm guessing as there are no criteria on the consensia website regarding hearing aids that they are not acceptable but it is an interesting question.

I was told one of the reasons for the eyesight requirements without aids are if you were to be in a riot situation and lost your glasses/lenses in the cufuffle you'd still be able to see well enough to get yourself out of the situation.

MBC x

I have no idea, to be honest - I'm guessing as there are no criteria on the consensia website regarding hearing aids that they are not acceptable but it is an interesting question.

I was told one of the reasons for the eyesight requirements without aids are if you were to be in a riot situation and lost your glasses/lenses in the cufuffle you'd still be able to see well enough to get yourself out of the situation.

MBC x

i think pablismo was being smart. lol.

i think pablismo was being smart. lol.

Really? And I did think it was an interesting question too :D
    It's definitely not me who sets the criteria so no point in getting smart with me :eek:!

MBC x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I am flabbergasted, to say the least, that people with high/poor (call it what you will) merit numbers who havent even received vetting are being called up for medicals.

How pointless and how very potentially a waste of money. Doing a medical now and then sending out vetting which could take anything up to a year to complete, in which time, anything could happen to render you unfit for duty. Hardly a sensible nor a wise use of resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭el_nino_9

I am flabbergasted, to say the least, that people with high/poor (call it what you will) merit numbers who havent even received vetting are being called up for medicals.

How pointless and how very potentially a waste of money. Doing a medical now and then sending out vetting which could take anything up to a year to complete, in which time, anything could happen to render you unfit for duty. Hardly a sensible nor a wise use of resources.

i second that, so many things could happen to a person in that space of time but could still get in. a joke is what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

If the people are from an RC background, then it would make perfect sense to send out vetting forms. I wouldve thought that they'd send them out before the medicals. Recruitment really works in mistererious ways.

To those who got the invites - Don't let our confusion spoil things. Congratulations. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

how are you getting on with that hearing thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

They are two different senses, and there are two different standards. You have to reach a certain standard in unaided vision, and similarly, you have to reach a certain standard in unaided hearing. I guess the standard for hearing is the minimum acceptable. I'm just guessing. I see where your coming from though. Doesn't seem fair, but then that's hardly the least fair thing in this recruitment process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fire6699

Hi sadie ooo when did you do medical for fire service i have one in the pipe line and would like some info on it feel free to pm if you wish. Thanks

• Advertisement

how are you getting on with that hearing thing?
    Hi still awaiting confirmation of receipt. Sent my appeal letter and suporting information away, they have received it but not replied as yet, though it is only a matter of days into the process. I am wondering if I am able to wear an aid which would improve my hearing would I be able to get in. It is only one ear affected you see (or rather "you hear" lol).
    PS I wasn't being smart. I am genuinely worried I will be refused. I have a high merit place and am as keen as mustard to get in. I know serving officers who are as deaf as posts, its all to do with getting in at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Hi still awaiting confirmation of receipt. Sent my appeal letter and suporting information away, they have received it but not replied as yet, though it is only a matter of days into the process. I am wondering if I am able to wear an aid which would improve my hearing would I be able to get in. It is only one ear affected you see (or rather "you hear" lol).
    PS I wasn't being smart. I am genuinely worried I will be refused. I have a high merit place and am as keen as mustard to get in. I know serving officers who are as deaf as posts, its all to do with getting in at the start.

well good luck dude! knowin how slow everythin is proceedin you'll prob be able to apply for c15 and c16 before you hear back from that! lol. oh well just gotta sit tite i guess!

I'm glad you weren't being smart :) - otherwise my earlier reply would've sounded stupid :D. I hope you get the go ahead and they don't keep you waiting too long! Good luck,

MBC x

Has anyone with a merit score in 300s/400s, non rc or nay, been sent out the medical invitation yet? Am soooo tempted to ring up and ask if I am even on a long list somewhere! Very scared of the answer i may get!:eek: Moi, human wastage!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 downboy

Has anyone with a merit score in 300s/400s, non rc or nay, been sent out the medical invitation yet? Am soooo tempted to ring up and ask if I am even on a long list somewhere! Very scared of the answer i may get!:eek: Moi, human wastage!?

RING UP!!! I'm in the same boat as you and I'm too scared to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

downboy wrote: »
    RING UP!!! I'm in the same boat as you and I'm too scared to ring.
    I'll second that!:D

After the "don't ring us we'll ring you" letters we all got am too scared to ring up and incur the wrath of some overworked employee, nevermind be told nah sorry love not this time! I will leave til end of next week *sigh*...on a positive note all this worrying has decreased my appetite big time, weight dropping off me, with no extra trips to the gym, at least that's a result! am eating wispa after wispa (yum yum) and can still get into my "thin" jeans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

I passed my medical! They told me right away. I'm delighted!

Now the hard part.... waiting!!!!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

im non rc between 240 and 280 and have had no word of a medical. i got the letter to say dont ring us but im busting a gut to know what is happening.

• Advertisement

PandaPants wrote: »
    I passed my medical! They told me right away. I'm delighted!

Now the hard part.... waiting!!!!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

congrats panda pants, bet your well happy. At least you have something positive to wait for though!

Advertisement