Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

Thanks. I'm over the moon, i was worried my asthma and eyesight would fail me. I've been told by a policeman that you don't get told you've passed vetting, you just get a start date.

Is that true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

PandaPants wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm over the moon, i was worried my asthma and eyesight would fail me. I've been told by a policeman that you don't get told you've passed vetting, you just get a start date.

Is that true??
    You can call them - PYG did and was told she had passed the Vetting.

My pal got the call from RB about her start date, she didn't get a letter specifically about Vetting just the invite to SRN etc, she was in C13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

I passed my medical! They told me right away. I'm delighted!

Now the hard part.... waiting!!!!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

When you say right away do you mean on the day you did it?

Yup! There and then. The nurse did the hearing, eyesight and peak flow and said she was very happy and there was nothing there to fail me. The doctor said the same.

I was under the impression that you had to wait for the letter, but I didn't even have to ask them they told me of their own accord. The nurse also said that if there was something they were concerned about it would be mentioned on the day as they give you a letter to take to your doctor. So i think you pretty much know there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

pablissimo wrote: »
    Hi still awaiting confirmation of receipt. Sent my appeal letter and suporting information away, they have received it but not replied as yet, though it is only a matter of days into the process. I am wondering if I am able to wear an aid which would improve my hearing would I be able to get in. It is only one ear affected you see (or rather "you hear" lol).
    PS I wasn't being smart. I am genuinely worried I will be refused. I have a high merit place and am as keen as mustard to get in. I know serving officers who are as deaf as posts, its all to do with getting in at the start.
    I cant see it being a problem, if an aid can rectify it then they couldnt descriminate against you for it. It would probably be under Disability Discrimination act, the process will probably just take ages by the time you get all the appointments sorted and get an aid fitted!

• Advertisement

By the way, Got my Medical pass letter 2day so happy. Just waiting on the lucky phone calll now, cant wait any longer agggghhhhhhh!!!

By the way, Got my Medical pass letter 2day so happy. Just waiting on the lucky phone calll now, cant wait any longer agggghhhhhhh!!!

So it's a phone call next then?? I'm going to glue my mobile to my hand now!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

off to my GP in the morning with my MHQ...I hope I head to seapark with good backing from him for med next week!!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Booked my PCA 2day-C'mon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

have the med very soon folks, no problems that im really worrying about and no history at all of medical problems, im just wondering from people who have done their medical...can you describe the hearing test to me, im just wanting to know what to expect... cheers for any feedback in advance!

• Advertisement

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Booked my PCA 2day-C'mon

What's the PCA? I know i'm probably being thick...

belfastard wrote: »
    have the med very soon folks, no problems that im really worrying about and no history at all of medical problems, im just wondering from people who have done their medical...can you describe the hearing test to me, im just wanting to know what to expect... cheers for any feedback in advance!

You go into a tiny booth and put on headphones. Then she plays a range of tones into one ear at a time and you press a button when you hear a sound. They get progressively louder and fainter. I got a bit trigger happy at times and thought i heard sounds when i didn't, but she said most people do that.

Eat before you go because you are VERY aware of the noises your body makes. All i could hear was my heartbeat and I was scared to swallow in case i missed a beep. i found it easier to close my eyes to concentrate on the beeps.

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Booked my PCA 2day-C'mon
    You booked a PCA? How come?

What's the PCA? I know i'm probably being thick...
    PCA is the Physical Competence Assessment, three laps of a circuit, consisiting of running round traffic cones, vaulting an obstacle and pulling a weight and other stuff. There is a push pull test too. Check out the PSNI/Consensia website, there is a video of it. You have to complete it in 3mins odd (I think 3.38).

You get it if your BMI is above 30.

So it's a phone call next then?? I'm going to glue my mobile to my hand now!!!! :D
    yeah apparantly, but if they cant get you on it they just send you a letter, it could be this week, next week or next month thats the fustrating bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

yeah apparantly, but if they cant get you on it they just send you a letter, it could be this week, next week or next month thats the fustrating bit

It could even be this time next year. :(

It's not likely that anyone from C14 will receive anything before the end of November though. The first intake to take in C14 recruits is going to be at the end of December at the earliest. The calls go out about 6 weeks before the intake.

I just gave them a buzz and the lady said they haven't made any appointments yet and will be doing phone calls/letters between NOW and next year!!

<runs off to find glue to stick phone to hand>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

It is still early days, I can't see phone calls starting just yet, but could be wrong!...more likely mid-end of Nov onwards....but who knows for sure!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

pablissimo wrote: »
    You booked a PCA? How come?

I failed my med due to my BMI so had to confirm i'll be there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

So I had my medical around ten days ago and still no answer. I rush home everyday like a freak and check the post like my life depends on it.

I hope the PSNI knows what all this waiting can do to a person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 groovetothebeat

hi all,

just found this forum whilst browsing through google looking for some info on psni recuitment.

basically i'm stuck with a problem and would like to hear someone's opinions or views....

well i have passed my assessment stage & got a letter a week or so back from the psni, they just told me that they would be in contact with me shortly in regards of the next stage but if any circumstances of mine have changed from the date of first application that i should get in contact with them....

would this include letting them know of a court conviction with a suspended sentence?(i think i got one, couldnt extactly hear what the judge said but i did get a hefty fine) is this letter to see if i own up to what happened before they vet me?

is there anyway or checking out my record other than the obvious poping down to the police station?

any help would be great,

i also notice that people have been doing medicals and filling in vetting forms & i haven't......maybe this is already a bad sign???

thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

hi all,

just found this forum whilst browsing through google looking for some info on psni recuitment.

basically i'm stuck with a problem and would like to hear someone's opinions or views....

well i have passed my assessment stage & got a letter a week or so back from the psni, they just told me that they would be in contact with me shortly in regards of the next stage but if any circumstances of mine have changed from the date of first application that i should get in contact with them....

would this include letting them know of a court conviction with a suspended sentence?(i think i got one, couldnt extactly hear what the judge said but i did get a hefty fine) is this letter to see if i own up to what happened before they vet me?

is there anyway or checking out my record other than the obvious poping down to the police station?

any help would be great,

i also notice that people have been doing medicals and filling in vetting forms & i haven't......maybe this is already a bad sign???

thanks guys

DEFINITELY!! You should write to recruitment asap & tell them, if they were to find out before you were to tell them then i don't think they would look to favourably on that at all.

However, if you were to inform them as to the change in your circumstances then at least they will be able to see that you are being up front & honest about your situation. To be honest a conviction & susp sentence doesn't look to promising.

However,they do state that not all convictions will debar an applicant & they will consider each case on its own circumstances.

You can find out ALL INFORMATION held by the PSNI on you under the DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998.
    You need to complete a Dat 1 Form, which can be downloaded from the PSNI website. This has then to be submitted to the PSNI who will then process it in accordance with the Data Protection legislation, it wil cost you £10.

They will supply you with a copy of all information which they hold on you.

I would advise you to obtain this information form the PSNI first of all & then write to recruitment detailing your situation & enclosing a copy of the information which you have obtained. This way you can be sure that you are providing the most accurate & up to date information as possible to them.

Make sure you provide all these details in writing to recruitment & keep copies of all your correspondence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 groovetothebeat

looked at the DAT1 form, says that it takes 40 days to be returned? surely i will of been already informed by then?

i suppose there is no harm in trying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

looked at the DAT1 form, says that it takes 40 days to be returned? surely i will of been already informed by then?

i suppose there is no harm in trying :(

Complete it & hand deliver it to Brooklyn @ HQ. Then, phone up the data protection unit & explain your predicament,i'm confident that they'll do all they can to assist you as quickly as they possibly can.

hi all,

any help would be great,

thanks guys

Hey dude you should ring them and let them know as that is a big change since your initial application! However it will show up when they get around to vetting you! So if you havent told them by then they will assume you have lied when the vetting comes through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

DEFINITELY!! You should write to recruitment asap & tell them, if they were to find out before you were to tell them then i don't think they would look to favourably on that at all.

However, if you were to inform them as to the change in your circumstances then at least they will be able to see that you are being up front & honest about your situation. To be honest a conviction & susp sentence doesn't look to promising.

However,they do state that not all convictions will debar an applicant & they will consider each case on its own circumstances.

You can find out ALL INFORMATION held by the PSNI on you under the DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998.
    You need to complete a Dat 1 Form, which can be downloaded from the PSNI website. This has then to be submitted to the PSNI who will then process it in accordance with the Data Protection legislation, it wil cost you £10.

They will supply you with a copy of all information which they hold on you.

I would advise you to obtain this information form the PSNI first of all & then write to recruitment detailing your situation & enclosing a copy of the information which you have obtained. This way you can be sure that you are providing the most accurate & up to date information as possible to them.

Make sure you provide all these details in writing to recruitment & keep copies of all your correspondence.

First off this request is not made under the Data Protection Act but under the Freedom of Information Act which is two completely different things.

You have a right under Freedom of Information to request a copy of any data which any Company (Police are no different) be that electronic, hard copy or otherwise Subject that the Information you request is not retained for Security purposes - or that making of same information Public would be considered a risk to National Security.
    Basically by releasing any information to you would be considered making it Public so when you do receive this you can expect alot of BLANK SPACES. (This is standard practice as due to Data Protection[ the Identity of other individuals should never be disclosed to you). So as not to identify investigating officers, witnesses, third parties (i.e. Admin Staff) etc etc.
    Basically what im saying is firstly your Vetting forums will be out before you receive this information, and they will know you are applying for PSNI so never think Recruitment dont know - and secondly information you do receive can be very vague, because after all they are not obliged to produce everything they hold on you.

Personally, and im not trying to be rude, but the excuse I didn't hear the Judge dosnt wash as you would receive all Convictions from PPS in writing anyway!

Going down the Freedom of Information road is not going to do you any favours. Do the honest thing, get writing a letter, and be prepared to apply in future Campaigns (Although I genuinely hope this is not the case)
    You can explain the situation in your Vetting forms, you can write an explanation as to what happened, and how things have changed and this should be considered. As far as im aware each case with convictions is assessed on its own merits.

Hope that Helps!

-TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Midnight Red

Hi Tango Victor I can see exactly where you're coming from and agree totally!!!
    Got vetting today (yes!) and have Med some time next week so hopefully all goes well!!!!

By the way Tango Victor, a friend of mine has just done HER med there, she seems to have done well, all the best to her and all applying ( good luck!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

hi all,

any help would be great,

thanks guys

There is no need to spend money on finding out what the PSNI have on you in order to find out exactly what your penalty was in court. All you need to do is either ring that Police Officer who brought you to court. He/she should have a record of the conviction or you could ring the District Court Clerk office and ask for the details. For the second option I am basing it on how it is done in the Republic so I am assuming it is the same or similar in the North.

How many people are still waiting to get a date for their medical? I'm starting to feel very lonely... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

a court conviction with a suspended sentence?(i think i got one, couldnt extactly hear what the judge said but i did get a hefty fine)

I believe that a court appearance with a fine carries a rehabilitation period of 5 years. You are therefore legally obligated to inform them of such.

Advertisement