Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

NewBoy19 wrote: »
    Tried to dig out my letter there but I got a reply from OH saying I passed my medical.

No word on my vetting yet...any idea how long that takes?

Also do you know the next intake for C14?

Vetting takes about 3 months on average, but can take up to a year.

The first intake for C14 is apparently 28 December 2008. They'll be running right through to the end of 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NewBoy19

carlty888 wrote: »
    Vetting takes about 3 months on average, but can take up to a year.

The first intake for C14 is apparently 28 December 2008. They'll be running right through to the end of 2009.

So what does a merit number like mine mean? Could i be looking at a january start?

I got my medical letter on 24th Sep so does the vetting start then?

Last question..lol..how much notice do they give you for your start date?

Thanks btw Carlty....your info is a gr8 help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

NewBoy19 wrote: »
    So what does a merit number like mine mean? Could i be looking at a january start?

I got my medical letter on 24th Sep so does the vetting start then?

Last question..lol..how much notice do they give you for your start date?

Thanks btw Carlty....your info is a gr8 help!

Have you been sent vetting forms yet. Vetting can only start once Recruitment receive the completed forms.

Vetting for some people will take longer than for others, so it not necessarily possible to recruit solely in the order of the merit list. Someone told me that your candidate number is also a factor.

Once a place becomes available, you will get a call from Recruitment Branch and an info pack will be sent out to you. This will normally be 6 weeks before your start date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

carlty888 wrote: »
    an info pack will be sent out to you. This will normally be 6 weeks before your start date.

I was told I'd be starting the AGS right after my PCT on a Friday to start on the following Monday!!!! and there was no information pack

Just goes to show the difference between the PSNI and the AGS :o

Was still happy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 downboy

integra1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info carlty re Harbour etc, very early stages anyways, but would go PSNI route before it anyday - no question.

I'm not to sure about that - People have been telling me it's ok to have applications here and on the mainland running at the same time, but I have rung about 6 different forces in England and Scotland and it is definitely not. If you want to apply to another force you have to withdraw from the psni. Don't know if this is the same for the harbour police - i guess you would have to ring and check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

hello guys, did my med last week and it was dead on, was worrying myself a little from reading about other peoples worries and problems! but passed everything and the doc and nurse said everything was a.ok...although i did loose quite alot of hair from the hair sample! enjoyed the whole experience and the guy from the drug company said from around half didnt turn up, he thinks mainly due to the drugs testing! i asked him about the hair sample results and he said twice that if you receive a pass letter about the medical then you haved passed the drugs test also

p.s wear tight boxers if your a fella....as the doctor stretched my pins and checked my knees, the spuds spilled out lol :eek:

good luck to all who have it ahead of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

lol belfastard! Thank god i'm a ladeeeee!
    That's good news about the medical pass letter, as got mine over two weeks ago, but nothing on the drugs test as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

belfastard wrote: »
    hello guys, did my med last week and it was dead on, was worrying myself a little from reading about other peoples worries and problems! but passed everything and the doc and nurse said everything was a.ok...although i did loose quite alot of hair from the hair sample! enjoyed the whole experience and the guy from the drug company said from around half didnt turn up, he thinks mainly due to the drugs testing! i asked him about the hair sample results and he said twice that if you receive a pass letter about the medical then you haved passed the drugs test also

p.s wear tight boxers if your a fella....as the doctor stretched my pins and checked my knees, the spuds spilled out lol :eek:

good luck to all who have it ahead of them!

Thanks dude for that helpful info...mine is very very soon....:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

So I got my medical pass letter on Saturday and I thought I would ring up and see if my Merit place is changed since last month.

Ohh they were not pleased that I rang, unless its your first call I would not suggest you try, glad they did not get my name, would have probably black marked me!

Did anyone else have any luck with getting more info from recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

yikes sounds like they aint happy!!Also, lots of no shows then at medicals??????

• Advertisement

The more no shows the better I say, thats one of the main reasons I rang, hoped I had moved up the merit list.

I am sitting near the 120 mark but would love it get in the first intake. Not likely with my current score.

yeh alot of no shows which isnt bad thing for people who are on the fringe! there was another girl who rang and she had got her days mixed up and asked if she could have another date, which probably wouldnt have been a problem seeing as the amount of no shows, but she was told she would need to apply again for campaign 15...that is a bummer

yeh alot of no shows which isnt bad thing for people who are on the fringe! there was another girl who rang and she had got her days mixed up and asked if she could have another date, which probably wouldnt have been a problem seeing as the amount of no shows, but she was told she would need to apply again for campaign 15...that is a bummer

Oh the thought of that happening makes me feel ill.

Although I had the date and time of my medical ingrained into my brain, no way I would ever have gotten it mixed up.

Oh the thought of that happening makes me feel ill.

Although I had the date and time of my medical ingrained into my brain, no way I would ever have gotten it mixed up.

aye just run it through your head say 15-20 times make sure it sticks lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

I would have cried my eyes out. It makes my tummy flutter just thinking about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

So obviously if there are no shows for the Meds/failed medicals then your merit standing improves? .....rubs chin(s) thoughtfully....vewy inneresting... still not ringing them tho. They said not to and I'm a good girl, I do what I'm told....for the most part.:D

So obviously if there are no shows for the Meds/failed medicals then your merit standing improves? .....rubs chin(s) thoughtfully....vewy inneresting... still not ringing them tho. They said not to and I'm a good girl, I do what I'm told....for the most part.:D

Suppose people dropping out would need to be above you in the merit list for it to improve your standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

which most are more than likely to be if they have got medicals already, in your case MGH. What will make the difference for you is the amount of dropouts that are non RC i suppose

Maura2145 wrote: »
    which most are more than likely to be if they have got medicals already, in your case MGH. What will make the difference for you is the amount of dropouts that are non RC i suppose

Good point Maura. I hope lots are non rc. Bugger off and join the Met you lot!!!!!!!!:D

PandaPants wrote: »
    I would have cried my eyes out. It makes my tummy flutter just thinking about it!!

I just cant get my head around someone going through this whole process and either not going to a medical or forgetting the fecking date....really.

Guess they just dont want it as much as some of us do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

I just cant get my head around someone going through this whole process and either not going to a medical or forgetting the fecking date....really.

I've got it from a rather reliable source that the drugs test really did put the cat among the pigeons more than had been expected, so I'd agree with what the sample taking dude told belfastard!
    People party a bit to hard and then chicken out of the medical

Makes me feel quite smug!

I've got it from a rather reliable source that the drugs test really did put the cat among the pigeons more than had been expected, so I'd agree with what the sample taking dude told belfastard!
    People party a bit to hard and then chicken out of the medical

Makes me feel quite smug!

I'd feel smug too if I ever get a medical.
    I'd never touch anything - and if you've seen me plastered you will know why lol

I think the short notice period for the medical is designed for that purpose too. If you've been a naughty boy or girl then you dont have any time to recuperate.....so you dont go.

All good for those of us who just a wee bit further down the list.
    Fingers crossed.
    :rolleyes:

I know its totally crazy, I would skink into depression if I messed something up stupid like that at this stage.

Part of me does feel sorry for her though.

Although if she cant' remember a date what sort of police officer would she make.

Although if she cant' remember a date what sort of police officer would she make.

Precisely.

I know i put my date in my phone calender, personal diary, work diary, work calender and checked the letter almost every day just in case I'd gotten it wrong.

Then i got to Carrick an hour early and had to sit in McD's car park trying to force porridge into me so my tummy wouldn't rumble during the hearing test! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I'm currently a big sweaty, pulsating, hiving ball of raw nerve ends.

On Wednesday it will have been THREE WEEKS since I had my medical and no word! THREE....BLOODY....WEEKS. Then if I fail, i'll have good knows how many more weeks to wait for the appeal process to conclude.

Seriously, I should get some kind of diploma for sticking this recruitment campaign.

P.S lol @ belfastard's spud spillage. hahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gaz1234

Hey everyone, with regard to the medical...you don't get a pass letter for the drugs test. And they are taking some c14 in the nov 16th intake!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

gaz1234 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, with regard to the medical...you don't get a pass letter for the drugs test. And they are taking some c14 in the nov 16th intake!!!!!:)

Ok how do you know this?? I'm now a little excited :)

lolli-j wrote: »
    Ok how do you know this?? I'm now a little excited :)

Just a little???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

PandaPants wrote: »
    Just a little???

Well maybe more like alot

Advertisement