Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

I had my eyes fixed lwith laser treatment in June this year, specifically to help me get in to PSNI, as that is what I failed on 5 years ago!

Brilliant results, am so chuffed that I can wake up and see the alarm clock. I can now read just about all of the chart, with the exception of a few teeny letters on the bottom line, due to mild astigmatism... getting this job would be the icing on the cake, even it does take me years!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

great to hear it worked so well Peggysue's Mama! That must be an amazing feeling, waking up with 'new eyes' :D

tis a great feeling indeed, only thing is after years of being nearly blind i can now see what my other half looks like in the morning! :eek: If i'd known that i wouldn't have married him!!!
    Oooohhh he will not be pleased if he snoops on here and sees that comment! serve him right for being so bloomin' nosey.

any other boardsies had this laser correction done?:cool: (me in my new designer sunnies, which i wear in the rain too! getting my money's worth!)

tis a great feeling indeed, only thing is after years of being nearly blind i can now see what my other half looks like in the morning! :eek: quote]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

I would love to have it, but I'm a bit concerned about the "peeling your eyes like a grape" bit!!

• Advertisement

PandaPants wrote: »
    I would love to have it, but I'm a bit concerned about the "peeling your eyes like a grape" bit!!

is that what it involves? :eek: ***shudder*** :)

PandaPants wrote: »
    Noooooooo, it's so not like that at all, believe me i am quite squeamish, to the point where i have to look away when casualty is on!

I had mine done in the clinic on the lisburn road, didn't feel a thing, slightly uncomfortable during op due to pressure from machine, mine was all lasers no blades like some places offer (barbarians!). I slept for 5 hrs after it and woke up, I was able to read the number plate across the street from my living rm window, result! (so not like on extreme makeover, so false the way they can see straight away, i did not want to open my eyes!) I mostly suffered from boredom, no tv or reading for the first few days, no make up for a week (yikes!) no gym or housework, yipee!

I got off quite lightly i reckon, bit of bloodshot eyes for a week but that's it! No itchiness or anything, highly recommend it to anyone, oooh and if you get into police you get discount!!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

i was the same, went to optimax on the lisburn road and had lasEk which is non invasive and they dont do the peeling the flap back bit like with lasIk, i had watery eyes for a bit after, but as peggysue says the worst is the boredom of 2-3 days of not being able to look at anything and basically having to just sit in darkness to allow the eyes to heal. its well worth it though i went from not being able to see the top letter on an opticians chart without my specs to now having perfect vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I had my eyes tested free of charge from our very own MGH. I can read the whole list without specs!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BadCopGingerCop

Hi Folks,

long time no tappa tappa on the keyboard!

I'm currently engaging in the appeals procedure regarding a knee issue, anyone got any ideas or tips to aid the process?

I've provided reports from 3 physios, an x-ray giving the all clear and have made a private appointment with a rheumatologist. Is there anything else I should be doing? Like bribing someone!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Hi Folks,

long time no tappa tappa on the keyboard!

I'm currently engaging in the appeals procedure regarding a knee issue, anyone got any ideas or tips to aid the process?

I've provided reports from 3 physios, an x-ray giving the all clear and have made a private appointment with a rheumatologist. Is there anything else I should be doing? Like bribing someone!

Cheers

i dont think u can do much more. uve kneely dun everything you can. im punderfull .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

they need a minimum of 3cm, and if you don't have that then it's taken from the armpit (if you're male, they don't ask females for that)

cheers.

and for the eyes convo, i keeked when someone said 2nd from bottom, i thought that was unaided. i can read the first few no sweat.

I was only able to read halfway through the third line and I passed. Think i only, just about passed though....

any medical results over the weekend? Just know I'll be skiving out of work all this week to check the post, im so bad at waiting for anything :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

Hey guys

Just a quick question, just sent away my vetting forms there on friday.

Just wanting to know does everyone who gets vetted go for a medical????

If so, how badly does smoking affect your medical? Im not too sure of the medical process so wanting to know weither i should just pack the ciggys in now and hope for a medical date, or weither i may not recieve one???

My medical was less than 2 weeks after receiving the letter, so i would doubt giving up would affect your result a great deal. Probably do your health a lot of good though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Hey guys

Just a quick question, just sent away my vetting forms there on friday.

Just wanting to know does everyone who gets vetted go for a medical????

If so, how badly does smoking affect your medical? Im not too sure of the medical process so wanting to know weither i should just pack the ciggys in now and hope for a medical date, or weither i may not recieve one???

No not everyone who gets vetting gets a medical.
    And quit smoking anway. Its a digusting, not to mention expensive habit!:D
    Your lungs will thank you for it!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

haha i know i really really should

I always said to my self, ''if you get a date for the medical youll havta stop'' but then i relised we are only give like 2 weeks notice for the medical and that wont be enough time for my lungs to clear themselves out lol

god i dunno lol

haha i know i really really should

I always said to my self, ''if you get a date for the medical youll havta stop'' but then i relised we are only give like 2 weeks notice for the medical and that wont be enough time for my lungs to clear themselves out lol

god i dunno lol

lung wise, if you run, and can run for a solid 20-30minutes+ at a reasonable pace your fine for the fegs. quitting is good though!

i know a guy who plays hurling and hes been smoking 20 a day since he was 9, and when he hit 20 hes on 40+ a day. hes probs one of the fittest people i know. plays hurling for the local gaa club and before a game, half time and after a game, he has a feg in his mouth. hes ran marathons n all aswell in great times.

quitting is the best thing to do though, cut em down especially for the medical, run to get lung capacity up! or even swim!

jeez, Ive never smoked, and of alright fitness, and the lung capacity test was still a nightmare. Hard going indeed. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

Ive never smoked but i can imagine its alot easier to tell someone to quit than to do it yourself!

Anybody been waiting awhile for medical results? Id been waitin 3 weeks and heard nothing so i rang and they told me a pass letter had been sent out on the 18th and that they would send me out another one. So anyone else who has not recieved any feedback should maybe ring and ask occupational health :)

i dont smoke, havent since the night before smoking ban, but seeing movies and tv shows with chronic smokers just looks so appealing hahaha. no matter how bad it is. it tastes raaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Maura2145 wrote: »
    Ive never smoked but i can imagine its alot easier to tell someone to quit than to do it yourself!

Anybody been waiting awhile for medical results? Id been waitin 3 weeks and heard nothing so i rang and they told me a pass letter had been sent out on the 18th and that they would send me out another one. So anyone else who has not recieved any feedback should maybe ring and ask occupational health :)

Eeek! When I phoned the girl simply said that 'mines' was due to be sent out that day but quickly added "I can't tell you the result or anything". Maybe the one-month-wait induced paranoia has made me read to much into it but... it seems they like to tell you either on the day, OR when you chase it up over the phone that you've passed. They shouldn't, but it seems they often do. They didn't say anything like that to me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

MrFug wrote: »
    Eeek! When I phoned the girl simply said that 'mines' was due to be sent out that day but quickly added "I can't tell you the result or anything". Maybe the one-month-wait induced paranoia has made me read to much into it but... it seems they like to tell you either on the day, OR when you chase it up over the phone that you've passed. They shouldn't, but it seems they often do. They didn't say anything like that to me. :(

Don't read too much into it pal. Some people have had positive results a few days after the medical. Others (like yourself) have had to wait a lot longer. Some who have failed the medical have heard back pretty quickly too. It may just be some kind of administrative hold-up. Nothing should surprise you in this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Happy days, passed my medical!!! found out today! same boat as you now Sir Carlty! just need vetting to be successful...stressful times when mainly vetting stands to trip us up now, feels like come so far! hope not!

integra1 wrote: »
    Happy days, passed my medical!!! found out today! same boat as you now Sir Carlty! just need vetting to be successful...stressful times when one thing can trip us up now.....

Sir Carlty..... I could get used to that. :rolleyes:

Congrats on passing the medical. Fingers crossed on the vetting front. Pull up a pew and prepare for more waiting. :D

passed too :D After just over a week of waiting to find out, and my nerves were gone already. Do not know how people have coped with waiting for results any longer than that!

squirrel81 wrote: »
    passed too :D After just over a week of waiting to find out, and my nerves were gone already. Do not know how people have coped with waiting for results any longer than that!

Congrats. Now you can sit and gnaw your nails like the rest of us in waiting for word about vetting. It's the last hurdle and it's driving me crazy. I want to ring and ask if it's been completed, but the people at recruitment scare me. I'm going steadily mad. Mad MAD MMMMAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

Ahem. :cool:

carlty888 wrote: »
    Congrats. Now you can sit and gnaw your nails like the rest of us in waiting for word about vetting. It's the last hurdle and it's driving me crazy. I want to ring and ask if it's been completed, but the people at recruitment scare me. I'm going steadily mad. Mad MAD MMMMAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

Ahem. :cool:

I rang :o The girl was lovely, but I didnt even get a chance to give my UID or name. She said vetting for all candidates was taking longer than expected and to just be in for a wait..... its awful when its something out of your hands. Mad. Ah well, oh im so :D at passing the med :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

when did you ring vetting and get told that Squirrel? congrats again matey....

Advertisement