Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

silver_x wrote: »
    sent my forms back middle or just after sept and rang a few days ago and found out i'd passed

that was very swift! I sent mine back then, mine is still ongoing!:eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 silver_x

i know, i was surpised when i called, just waiting on the med people to get back to me so fingers crossed and all that. heres hoping that things still move forward with the current money worries :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭waawaa

hey guys, i have a question. im gettin married on a sat next august. if i get in would they make me postpone my entry date or cood i theoretically get married on the sat, & the go back to garnerville on the monday? also this is the 14th day since my med, shood i be worried if i dont get a response back today, gettin a bit twitchy bout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

was just reading on one of the posts there about the PCA

just wondering do you have to pass this before they let you into garnerville??

what excatly is it for i thought once you passed IST,AC,med and vetting you just waited on a call, once you got the call- you are in and as long as you pass garnerville everything is happy days

but now someone has mentioned booking their PCA im wondering..... lol

never mind bout my previous question bout the med, letter has just arrived & its a big thumbs up. if i was nervous before im bricking it now, just vetting to pass now & that should (hopefully) be it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

well done mate ;). But just to clear it up, the PCA must be passed before passing out of G'ville. It is attempted at the start of the course and if you are perceived to need remedial action then a programme is provided to bring you up to the required standard. No PCA = no badge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

congrats waawaa :)

thanks guys, the tension is startin to build. havent bin on this forum for long so not sure of the abbreviations you guys use like srn, pca etc. cood anyone fill me in on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

waawaa wrote: »
    thanks guys, the tension is startin to build. havent bin on this forum for long so not sure of the abbreviations you guys use like srn, pca etc. cood anyone fill me in on them?

I think the post your are referring to about the pca was one where somebody was worried about failing their medical due to a slightly high bmi. If you fail due to bmi you can appeal and may be able to do the pca which is a physical assault course type thing (sorry not very technical there) that you have to be able to complete at the end of training in Garnerville. If you passed your medical you don't need to worry about the PCA until you're in Garnerville :)

MBC x

P.S. SRN is Student Registration Night
    P.P.S. Congrats on passing your medical!

whew, for a second there i thought i was missing out on something. thanks by the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

PCA = Physical Competency Assessment

It's a circuit that replicates the type of obstacles you may encounter whilst in purtsuit of a suspect. It has to be completed 3 times within a time limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 OnFire

Hey just wondering if anybody who is appealing their medical result has heard any word since? PM me if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

I've my PCA next week....... Shatting it lol even after Mr.A's words of encouragement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Griffer2 wrote: »
    I've my PCA next week....... Shatting it lol even after Mr.A's words of encouragement!!

Just pretend you are running away from the scary ex - you'll be like greased lightning lol:D

sorry, couldn't resist:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Little word of advise, the time limit is 3 mins 43 secs, don't overdo it on the first lap, leave enough to go all out on your last lap. Good luck though mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Little word of advise, the time limit is 3 mins 43 secs, don't overdo it on the first lap, leave enough to go all out on your last lap. Good luck though mate!

My mate is a cop and said the exact same thing, save you energy lol, for the last lap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

integra1 wrote: »
    that was very swift! I sent mine back then, mine is still ongoing!:eek::confused:

I sent mine back at the start of sep and mine is ongoing at present.

Done my over two weeks ago and as of yet I have heard nothing back. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Hi
    Just got word today i failed my medical but offered a pca test, BMI was mentioned as a reason. I'm lighter now than April and passed the same medical then. Disappointed really.

Hi
    Just got word today i failed my medical but offered a pca test, BMI was mentioned as a reason. I'm lighter now than April and passed the same medical then. Disappointed really.

Sorry to hear that man!

Would you consider appealing it? I noticed you said you passed in April so its possible you may pass if you appeal. You should enquire about what the standard is and do a BMI calculation at home. I

Thinking back to my medical just over two weeks ago the nurse didn't even look at my weight she just asked me what it said so It is possible a mistake was made jotting it down etc. .

I got word today saying I'm medically fit so I'm happy enough. .

though the aul eyes would have failed me but apparently not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Kirksbabe

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that man!

Would you consider appealing it? I noticed you said you passed in April so its possible you may pass if you appeal. You should enquire about what the standard is and do a BMI calculation at home. I

Thinking back to my medical just over two weeks ago the nurse didn't even look at my weight she just asked me what it said so It is possible a mistake was made jotting it down etc. .

I got word today saying I'm medically fit so I'm happy enough. .

though the aul eyes would have failed me but apparently not :D

If you don't mind me asking, do you know what your eyesight is? (i.e. your prescription) My optician assures me that I will pass the test but am still a bit worried.

• Advertisement

Just pretend you are running away from the scary ex - you'll be like greased lightning lol:D

sorry, couldn't resist:p

LOL MGH how do you think i did all the training for my PCA??? runnin away from her!!!

Kirksbabe wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know what your eyesight is? (i.e. your prescription) My optician assures me that I will pass the test but am still a bit worried.

Hey,

Sorry I don’t know what my exact prescription is but my eyesight really is not that bad. I wear glasses watching TV or playing the xbox but thats it really.

I know the eyesight part of the medical is more stringent here because the PSNI carry guns so your eyesight needs to be reasonable. I know a guy who failed the med a number of years ago due to eyesight but his eyesight was really bad. I'd try not to worry about that part of the med given that your optician has said you wiull be fine. If in doubt though you could even print an eye test from google images and follow the instructions i.e place it 20 feets away, cover left eye and read etc. . sounds sad but it could put your mind at ease:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

LOL MGH how do you think i did all the training for my PCA??? runnin away from her!!!

ROTFLMAO

She's a scary assed mofo. Seriously, she makes me look normal and that is no mean feat!!!!!:eek:

You can do so much better - wait til you're in GV and checking all the totty!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

does anyone know if theres any non-rc's with merit in the 300's that have been offered a medical yet?

faceman08 wrote: »
    does anyone know if theres any non-rc's with merit in the 300's that have been offered a medical yet?

I dont know of any myself and I havn't seen it mentioned on any threads.

I do know though that 480 people have just done medicals for C14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

faceman08 wrote: »

Yeah i'd like to know the same. Im non-RC 350's.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Got a letter yesterday saying passed the SMT and am progressing to the next stage (even tho I am appealing the medical assessment re: hearing lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

hows thata appeal going pab?

my head hurts

ROTFLMAO

She's a scary assed mofo. Seriously, she makes me look normal and that is no mean feat!!!!!:eek:

You can do so much better - wait til you're in GV and checking all the totty!!!!:D

Ur tellin me lol try being with her for nearly 2 years then breaking up with her!! lol

Think she was jealous of MGH trying to steal her ex ;) lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

Hi

Anyone know if you can change the date of your medical? ive been given 2 weeks notice, i/m working in london now and don't have anymore hoilday to take this year! plus flights at this notice will cost an arm and a leg. anyone managed to get the date changed? i had been told the give you at least a months notice.......

Advertisement