Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Hi

Anyone know if you can change the date of your medical? ive been given 2 weeks notice, i/m working in london now and don't have anymore hoilday to take this year! plus flights at this notice will cost an arm and a leg. anyone managed to get the date changed? i had been told the give you at least a months notice.......

Shelleyelley managed to have her medical rearranged due to a pre-booked trip. She had to show confirmation of flight tickets for them to agree though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

pablissimo wrote: »
    Got a letter yesterday saying passed the SMT and am progressing to the next stage (even tho I am appealing the medical assessment re: hearing lol)

How long did you have to wait to hear about the SMT? I done med on 25th of Oct but no word back yet :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

I have a question....

I rec'd my medical pass the other day, obviously delighted and well done to others in the same boat, to those waiting: best of luck!!

However, from reading the SMT thread I am lead to believe that we will receive a separate pass letter from that division i.e. passing the med does NOTmean you pass the SMT? Is that correct? do we receive two letters?

Reason I ask is due to an unfortunate occasion (being a friends birthday party in early August) and poor decision on my part - (being me deciding it be a good idea to smoke a joint!!)

Should I still be bricking it?

Also - how long after we recieve the medical letter should one expect to hear from SMT? My medical was just under 4 weeks ago.

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I have a question....

I rec'd my medical pass the other day, obviously delighted and well done to others in the same boat, to those waiting: best of luck!!

However, from reading the SMT thread I am lead to believe that we will receive a separate pass letter from that division i.e. passing the med does NOTmean you pass the SMT? Is that correct? do we receive two letters?

Reason I ask is due to an unfortunate occasion (being a friends birthday party in early August) and poor decision on my part - (being me deciding it be a good idea to smoke a joint!!)

Also - how long after we recieve the medical letter should one expect to hear from SMT? My medical was just under 4 weeks ago.

Thanks!!

Well, yeah, I know I would be. Although there are a lot of factors that affect hair testing and I'm by no means an authority on the matter, but from what I've gathered (I'm sure you've researched this more thoroughly than me) cannabis is detectable in hair for 90+ days. I not sure if It matters whether you're a heavy, occasional or one-time user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

it seems by results so far that they are looking for chronic usage so you'll probably be ok :)

• Advertisement

I have a question....

Thanks!!

I doubt you have much to worry about. I googled it a wee bit there when I read your comment and from what I read it appears it will be tracable 3-5 days for first or single time users but more chronic users may be tracable for 30+ days (this is the hair sample). The urine sample is less effective at detecting cannabis in the body than the hair sample.

I'm glad though than you recognise it was a mistake and if it makes any difference I recieved my med pass a couple of day's ago but I didn't get anything about the drugs test.

P.s the start of August was donkeys ago!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Hi All,

In regard to separate letters, I can indeed confirm there are two separate ones. Because I received my medical one a couple weeks ago and received a SMT one on Saturday Morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WEE SCOT

faceman08 wrote: »
    does anyone know if theres any non-rc's with merit in the 300's that have been offered a medical yet?

I'm high 300's and have medical next week. Don't give up hope yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

hey suz

yeah i was able to get my medical date chenged, i already had a holiday booked so i had to e-mail them my tickets to confirm that i was deffo going away

you could phone and ask, you need to speak to kristal-the girl that send out the medical form and see what she can do for you.

dont think they are too keen on changing med dates incase your trying to get drugs out of your system before the drugs test

but deffo give her a call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

WEE SCOT wrote: »
    I'm high 300's and have medical next week. Don't give up hope yet :)

I'm low 300s and probably too far down but this gave me a glimmer of hope this morning!
    Go get 'em girl!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

mrs gene hunt,

sometimes i think we are the same person! we both got rejected first time due to ist score, then got allowed to do AC, now have a very similar merit number and are doing the medical soon!!

anyway i think i shoud be ok for getting medical changed, just got off the phone to the girl she was very nice and i just said that im flying back to london tomorrow and its too late notice to get the time off my new job (which it is to be fair) but if the psni want me then i'll be back in a flash! just gotta pass this bloody medical now..........and the vetting! argh.

mrs gene hunt,

sometimes i think we are the same person! we both got rejected first time due to ist score, then got allowed to do AC, now have a very similar merit number and are doing the medical soon!!

anyway i think i shoud be ok for getting medical changed, just got off the phone to the girl she was very nice and i just said that im flying back to london tomorrow and its too late notice to get the time off my new job (which it is to be fair) but if the psni want me then i'll be back in a flash! just gotta pass this bloody medical now..........and the vetting! argh.

I havent had my medical date but this has given me a slim glimmer of hope that there might be one.
    And if not, well I'll be back to kick ass next time they are recruiting altho Lord only knows when that'll be as someone spent all the money!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

MrFug wrote: »
    Eeek! When I phoned the girl simply said that 'mines' was due to be sent out that day but quickly added "I can't tell you the result or anything". Maybe the one-month-wait induced paranoia has made me read to much into it but... it seems they like to tell you either on the day, OR when you chase it up over the phone that you've passed. They shouldn't, but it seems they often do. They didn't say anything like that to me. :(

Ek now I'm worried! I got the same answer when I called. I should know about mid week... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

Hey, i just found this board, some good info on here!

I have passed medical, smt and vetting.

My merit number is in the 250's non rc, is this good enough? do i stand a chance of getting in?? Btw this is my seventh time applyin! lol

nickni wrote: »

My merit number is in the 250's non rc, is this good enough? do i stand a chance of getting in?? Btw this is my seventh time applyin! lol

You're in a similar situation to myself. Congrats on passing everything.

250's would have been good enough in previous campaigns. It should be good enough this time too. Just as long as there aren't 220 or more non-RC's (who have also passed vetting, medical and SMT) ahead of you on the merit list (which is unlikely).

I admire your grit and determination on applying. I'd say you've done it this time!
    Best of luck!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

lol

ya just really wish sometimes if u acctually had a chance ya no!!

i mean i have a merit number of 960-1000 im RC ive got a medical date, vetting posted back a few weeks ago..........and really i would think that i am wastage ya just dunno what to think!!!

does my head in lol

just wish they would give you an answer of maybe,yes or no you are just wastage

lol

ya just really wish sometimes if u acctually had a chance ya no!!

i mean i have a merit number of 960-1000 im RC ive got a medical date, vetting posted back a few weeks ago..........and really i would think that i am wastage ya just dunno what to think!!!

does my head in lol

just wish they would give you an answer of maybe,yes or no you are just wastage

I was similar situation last time out, so I know how you feel (600's non-RC). You'll get no feedback and then one day you'll get either a call from Recruitment offering you a place or a Dear John.

It'd be good if you could ring someone up and just ask "Ok, where do I stand?"

carlty888 wrote: »
    We'll wait to see the results of your SMT before we pass judgement. :D

One test one is POSITIVE one would pass!!!! ( or sorry, progress to the next stage in!!!! )

Fingers crossed we get the MHQ.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

this is maybe a stupid question but i thought i would ask, is there one merit list for both rc and non rc, or is it one merit list for rc and seperate one for non rc?

Cheers
    Nick

• Advertisement

this is maybe a stupid question but i thought i would ask, is there one merit list for both rc and non rc, or is it one merit list for rc and seperate one for non rc?

Cheers
    Nick

There's just the one merit list. Successful applicants are selected from this list dependant on their "perceived religion."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

Do our merit numbers change as the 50:50 is implemented?

PandaPants wrote: »
    Do our merit numbers change as the 50:50 is implemented?

I've been wondering that. Perhaps it would but candidates would have to be definitely discounted before the merit list to be adjusted. For instance, they'd have to fail either medical or SMT beyond the reach of the appeal process. Or fail Vetting.

There have been previous postings of people who have phoned up and their merit numbers have changed so it seems like it does happen.:confused:

Guys. Please keep the anal chat to another thread. You'll have people thinking that the PSNI medical involves some kind of rectal probing. :eek:

For those new to the recruitment process, don't worry. You will not be penetrated during you medical. :P

carlty888 wrote: »
    Guys. Please keep the anal chat to another thread. You'll have people thinking that the PSNI medical involves some kind of rectal probing. :eek:

For those new to the recruitment process, don't worry. You will not be penetrated during you medical. :P

I think you guy's should make a general chit chat thread because seriosuly if anyone has any general concerns or queries regarding the medical they don't want to read all this stuff ;)

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    I think you guy's should make a general chit chat thread because seriosuly if anyone has any general concerns or queries regarding the medical they don't want to read all this stuff ;)

That's what I was getting at. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

51 posts moved to the General Thread.

Please stay on topic.

I know its difficult

I'm usually the worst in the world for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

TheNog wrote: »
    Folks,

only 51?

TheNog wrote: »

Ok, now my comment about the anal chat looks totally out of place. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

hahaha!! People will just think you have a vivid imagination Carlty

I wondered about the merit placing Q. Because an training officer asked me if my merit placing was the general merit placing or the merit placing of my background pool.. The latter of which i didnt know existed...

Advertisement