Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Evenin' all :D

Do you fill in a form at the medical regarding current medications (prescription or OTC)? And if so, is it necessary to name all medicines taken in the past few weeks? What about vitamins/supplements? I've only taken a couple of painkillers, a couple of decongestans (both a couple of weeks ago when I had a sniffle :rolleyes:) and have just started taking a Cranberry supplement to help prevent bladder/kidney infections. Should I name all of these if asked?

Thankyou

MBC x

Hey MBC,
    The SMT guy asks you to list EVERYTHING you have taken in the last 6 months so they can use the list to eliminate certain things from the results of the hair test, as far as the medical aspect of the medical goes they only wanna know about serious drugs. A cold remedy here and a painkiller there isn't much to worry about.
    I was naming all sorts of random things like eye drops to the SMT guy though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LXI 87

I had my medical last tuesaday and nearly shat a brick. When applying to the PSNI for the 3rd time i really thouht i would put my mind to it and started to worry about the fact of my weight i was 19st in May 08 and having realised u needed a BMI of no more than 30 :eek: Mine was 36.5

So i started pushing myself went to gym 5-6 times week hours and hours of cardio +weights so went to the doctor week before my medical and got my BMI done. I had lost 5 stone in 6 months doctor nearly fell of his seat and my BMI was down to 27.8. This was fine until the Police doctor did it and she measured me 4cm shorter and thankfully my BMI was only 29.1 WOW how much did i not panic when she said no thats def your height.

I don`t really understand it because doctor measured me with no shoes aswell the police doctor didn`t seem in the mood to talk about the matter so i left it be as it was still okay.

But talk about 6 months hard work nearly down the drain i had been taking it easy the last few weeks as i thought i was okay but i was using wrong height so beware people check it yourself don`t always listen to your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tonyac

Whats all this about, I knew about a urine sample and had that taken for my prison service medical but whats the point in taking the two? Is it just plucking 1 or 2 strands of hair?:confused: Sorry if this has been covered but it has puzzled me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

LXI 87 wrote: »
    the Police doctor did it and she measured me 4cm shorter and thankfully my BMI was only 29.1 WOW how much did i not panic when she said no thats def your height.

I don`t really understand it because doctor measured me with no shoes aswell the police doctor didn`t seem in the mood to talk about the matter so i left it be as it was still okay.

But talk about 6 months hard work nearly down the drain i had been taking it easy the last few weeks as i thought i was okay but i was using wrong height so beware people check it yourself don`t always listen to your GP.
    Maybe this is the start of the police cut backs, though I dont know how much a centimetre costs!?!?
    Well done anyway, keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

Tonyac wrote: »
    Whats all this about, I knew about a urine sample and had that taken for my prison service medical but whats the point in taking the two? Is it just plucking 1 or 2 strands of hair?:confused: Sorry if this has been covered but it has puzzled me
    The hair sample is used to provide a detailed profile of drugs/medication taken in the previous 6mths. Urine sample only measures, protein, And 2 other things I cant remember but are indicitive of your general health. They take 2 tufts of hair and you get to chose where from, nothing to drastic

• Advertisement

MORRI wrote: »
    The hair sample is used to provide a detailed profile of drugs/medication taken in the previous 6mths. Urine sample only measures, protein, And 2 other things I cant remember but are indicitive of your general health. They tafe 2 tufts of hair and you get to chose where from, nothing to drastic

Yeah Urine sample is dipped i a Keto stick which measures keatones. It also tells them if there is anything funky going on with your glucose and protein levels u may be diabetic and not even know it.

Oh right well I thought the urine sample tested for drugs as well (mustnt be as thorough or reliable as hair sample), thanks for quick replies, now i just have to wait and hope for a date, I was told I passed my last medical (9th Sept) unofficailly, so that means that its all clear right?

"u may be diabetic and not even know it."

i.e. they know straight away or does it take a few weeks for the proper results. After the sample was tested she said it would take a minute for the results, so we waited and it was clear. Was that just a preliminary test or the full results?

"u may be diabetic and not even know it."

i.e. they know straight away or does it take a few weeks for the proper results. After the sample was tested she said it would take a minute for the results, so we waited and it was clear. Was that just a preliminary test or the full results?[/quote]

No they would know there and then the stick would go a certain colour and the doctor would have quite a concerned look on their face lol Some people can be borderline diabetic

Medical is not just to se if your fit for duty but also for pension purposes

ah thanks, this forum's proving quite useful:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

check it yourself don`t always listen to your GP.

chickity check yo self before you wreck yo self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

smyff wrote: »

you need a 'check up from the neck up' lol :D

Did i miss something!

Did i miss something!

I think it's from an Ice Cube track. Don't worry about smyff, he's not normal :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

JVB wrote: »
    I think it's from an Ice Cube track. Don't worry about smyff, he's not normal :D;)

once again

never a truer word was written

Penis Eye wrote: »
    once again

never a truer word was written

You can't have two never's?!? One has to be a truer word. It's like saying 'near fatal', it either is or it isn't!

;)

JVB wrote: »

haha saturday night and a few beers when sitting in is bad isnt it.

i think it was in reference to the doctor getting your BMI wrong. so i meant check yo' self!

cheers JVB lol

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Well, that's my medical over and done with, thank goodness! It all went well and apart from the hearing test I passed everything else. I'm not sure about the hearing test because she didn't give me any indication and I saw her write 'left ear' as she was on her way out the door leading me to the doc. I've never had any hearing problems so I'm hoping I'm worrying about that for nothing, but I've got a feeling I'll be referred to my doc :(. I hope I don't have to wait too long on the result!

There was a fella there who was bald and they were trying to figure out what to do with him. He was waiting ages, and I'm so nosey I want to know what happened - but I had to leave :D. He musn't have had any hair anywhere else either :eek: and it's thought he may just be failed after passing everything else (or so he told me).

The eye test was actually quite difficult (obviously only because I'm short sighted :rolleyes:) and I thought I'd failed it, but no thankfully not phew, but I'd say it was pretty close.

Anyway, enough rambling - gotta go pick up little un from playgroup.

MBC x

P.S. Good luck anybody else who has medicals coming up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

haha saturday night and a few beers when sitting in is bad isnt it.

i think it was in reference to the doctor getting your BMI wrong. so i meant check yo' self!

cheers JVB lol

They definately got mine wrong. Told me I was slightly over-weight. But it was ok, the body fat compostion machine told them I was a highly tuned athlete who treats his body like a temple!

Right I'm off to get a beer and a burger for my lunch! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Well done MBC, Im sure you passed ! Now you got me worried about hearing test! I checked with docs today what ive had for last 6 months, difene only so should be ok yeah? Hurt knee in sept currently awaitin mri scan but im back at gym, running, weights etc so Ishould be ok!???No codeine in it so no false positives for that!? Can other substances give false positives I wonder? Not that Im worried, just curious! Whats the term for someone with no hair/follicles? Alopecia is it? That model girl had it, scotch 'wan'. Got medical tomorrow afternoon! Must check out directions soon or maybe pinch bros sat nav, cant go wrong with a good map though! Works well when you stick it to steering wheel with blue tack!! Just kidding!
    Hey JVB, you nearly opened a can of worms there!! ha ha :D
    Oh I gota go its nearly exactly 1.30pm!! :P

manaka wrote: »
    Well done MBC, Im sure you passed ! Now you got me worried about hearing test! I checked with docs today what ive had for last 3 months, difene only so should be ok yeah? Hurt knee in sept currently awaitin mri scan but im back at gym, running, weights etc so Ishould be ok!???No codeine in it so no false positives for that!? Can other substances give false positives I wonder? Not that Im worried, just curious! Whats the term for someone with no hair/follicles? Alopecia is it? That model girl had it, scotch 'wan'. Got medical tomorrow afternoon! Must check out directions soon or maybe pinch bros sat nav, cant go wrong with a good map though! Works well when you stick it to steering wheel with blue tack!! Just kidding!
    Hey JVB, you nearly opened a can of worms there!! ha ha :D
    Oh I gota go its nearly exactly 1.30pm!! :P

Hey manaka

Thanks for your confidence :). I didn't totally understand what you were saying about your hearing?
    I don't know how they will take the fact you are waiting on an MRI scan for your knee though tbh. They seem to take things like that very seriously, especially if you are waiting treatment. Just make sure to let them know you have no pain or weakness in your knee and are able to train/run without any problems.
    The person I was talking about with no hair, actually did have hair but it was shaved very short, so not alopecia :).
    I live very close to the medical place to it only took me 10 minutes to get there. I found it amazing how many people I knew that I'd no idea worked there. I was trying to be incognito but a couple of them recognised me, so I'm hoping they are discreet and don't decide to spread the word :eek:. Could make life a little difficult in some circles:(

Good luck tomorrow. Let me know how you get on!

MBC x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Cheers MBC, I think I will need some luck! Now im trying to think did i get any over the counter medicines with codeine in it!? I had difene in sept and pharmacist told me today that theres no codeine in it! So hope not! Im just after checking the ingredients for lemsip there! Phew, no codeine. Im sure lots of us have had that within 6 months!
    My hair is pretty short as well, will they go for the axillae then? They can get their 3 cms there! Is the hearing test last? How long does it last? Is it the headphones on both ears with the little detonator button thing in your hand!?
    Yeah there are things we dont want people to know about us. We all have secrets!! Only 2 guys know I applied for this, ah man there goes my secret!! Now you all know!! :D

codeine, whats this give a false positive for. i took 2 tablets around a month ago, but i wrote it down on the sheet i was provided with!

codeine, whats this give a false positive for. i took 2 tablets around a month ago, but i wrote it down on the sheet i was provided with!

Hi there, don't worry about taking codeine. It can give a false postive for cocaine (I think that's the one) but can be identified as codeine with further investigation, so as long as you have put it on your form there is no problem as it can easily be ruled out.

I can't remember if I've taken any or not in the past few months - always just grab whatever painkillers are about for the old hangovers etc :D. I should have put it down just in case I suppose :eek:. Oh well, if people who have admitted to smoking a joint in the last few months are passing the drugs test, surely I won't fail for a co-codamol or two :confused:.

Great....something else to worry about :eek::D

manaka wrote: »
    Cheers MBC, I think I will need some luck! Now im trying to think did i get any over the counter medicines with codeine in it!? I had difene in sept and pharmacist told me today that theres no codeine in it! So hope not! Im just after checking the ingredients for lemsip there! Phew, no codeine. Im sure lots of us have had that within 6 months!
    My hair is pretty short as well, will they go for the axillae then? They can get their 3 cms there! Is the hearing test last? How long does it last? Is it the headphones on both ears with the little detonator button thing in your hand!?
    Yeah there are things we dont want people to know about us. We all have secrets!! Only 2 guys know I applied for this, ah man there goes my secret!! Now you all know!! :D

Lol manaka, I had to look up the word axillae!! What's wrong with just saying armpit :confused::D. And I now have a mental picture of you now resembling a gorilla with more than 3cms of armpit hair :eek:. I sure hope you are male.
    The hearing test lasts quite a while - around 10 minutes in the soundproof booth with the headphones on and yes, the little detonator button (makes it sound rather sinister). I thought I'd done OK on the hearing test but perhaps I should have randomly pressed the button a bit more. Time will tell...

MBC x

Oh, and don't forget - tight fitting boxers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Hi there, don't worry about taking codeine. It can give a false postive for cocaine (I think that's the one) but can be identified as codeine with further investigation, so as long as you have put it on your form there is no problem as it can easily be ruled out.

I can't remember if I've taken any or not in the past few months - always just grab whatever painkillers are about for the old hangovers etc :D. I should have put it down just in case I suppose :eek:. Oh well, if people who have admitted to smoking a joint in the last few months are passing the drugs test, surely I won't fail for a co-codamol or two :confused:.

Herion in fact. It is an opiat from the same family as heroin and morphine. But I very much doubt a couple of tablets would cause a positive result. They are still an opiat tho so if u are habitually/chemically addicted it could cause you a problem ;) doubt that you are somehow tho :D

lol. people admitted to smoking it and passed?! thats crazy.

Lol they only admitted it on here, smyff. I doubt they told the druggie man (or whatever his technical name is). I think if you've only 'dabbled' the once you still pass. It's habitual users they are looking for apparentely!

MBC x (who hasn't taken any illegal drugs but is still strangely worried about the drugs test :eek::D). This whole process does strange things to a person.

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Herion in fact. It is an opiat from the same family as heroin and morphine. But I very much doubt a couple of tablets would cause a positive result. They are still an opiat tho so if u are habitually/chemically addicted it could cause you a problem ;) doubt that you are somehow tho :D

Oops, really should brush up on knowledge of the ol' drugs I guess lol. No, not habitually or chemically addicted to anything thankfully so if my couple of co-codamol don't show up :D I should be fine.

MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

you panicking smyffy????;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

well guys

only a few hours to my medical!!!! any tips or advice to pass on lol

what a day we have at the medical eh???? pee in a cup, lose a chunk of your hair and get nakedddddd lol

looking forward to this

Advertisement