Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

well guys

only a few hours to my medical!!!! any tips or advice to pass on lol

what a day we have at the medical eh???? pee in a cup, lose a chunk of your hair and get nakedddddd lol

looking forward to this

Hmmm, don't pee on your hand, make sure u've enough hair on your head and errr wear bridget jones's (that's what they were called i believe ;) )

Seriously tho, no not really any tips or advice. The only thing I would give a tip about is on the hearing test, even if you think you hear a sound, you probably did so press the wee button. But she tells you that anyway. Don't go buck mad with the button tho :p

They're a friendly bunch there and give lots of clear explanations what to do so don't be worried about it at all :) It won't hurt a bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

lol bridget Jones haha they will deffo be on lol

how long does the medical normally take

and if you are going to fail it, do they give you any indication on the day that there might be a problem????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

medical usually lasts an hour. if there is any issues they will quietly highlight it too you. there a lovely bunch of gals up there good crack!.

happy ding dong days lol

im not really as nervous about this part as i have been for he rest of the recruitment, think ive just got fed up of stressing about all this

but if i pass and havta wait on vetting then a phone call i do reckon ill be climbing the walls

sent my vetting of about a month anda half ago and phoned them yesterday just to make sure they had got everything etc and the girl said yep weve got it, i said 'is it still ongoing' then she said 'it will be'

so to be it sounds like they havent even started on mine lol

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

well guys

only a few hours to my medical!!!! any tips or advice to pass on lol

what a day we have at the medical eh???? pee in a cup, lose a chunk of your hair and get nakedddddd lol

looking forward to this

Good luck, Shelleyelley!

It all lasts about 1 and 1/2 hours or so (the drug testing bit is a little long winded lol, but there's no waiting about between each part which is good. It's straight from one room to another (well it was yesterday, anyway).

MBC x

If you ask, you may get an indication if you've passed or not but if you don't, they'll just say nothing.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much MBC

how did yours go yesterday?????

here guys tell me something....... ya no the way on your medical form if you have ticked yes to any of the questions you have to gill in the box with additonal info

well..... i left my whole form down to my doctor to fill it in for me and she filled out that bit for me as well as her own bit

do yas think that would be ok??? i just wasnt sure of dates and stuff so i thought id fill in my bit once she filled in hers lol

hopefully yous can make sense of that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Thanks very much MBC

here guys tell me something....... ya no the way on your medical form if you have ticked yes to any of the questions you have to gill in the box with additonal info

well..... i left my whole form down to my doctor to fill it in for me and she filled out that bit for me as well as her own bit

do yas think that would be ok??? i just wasnt sure of dates and stuff so i thought id fill in my bit once she filled in hers lol

yeah that'll be fine . im pretty sure my doc did the same thing. as long as they get as much info as possible so they can make a decision.

good luck anyhoo.

Thanks very much MBC

Is your signature dated before your docs? The doc yesterday did check this as my doc signed the form the same date as me (very efficient for a change lol). You have to have filled in and signed your part before your doc did (IYKWIM?).
    Not sure to be honest about your doc filling in your part of the form. Can't see why it would make a big difference but I wouldn't let on unless the doc today actually asks?! You also need to make sure you've given an explanation of everything you've ticked. And she will go through the whole form with you and ask you to go into detail about each 'yes' answer.
    Mine went OK yesterday, I think. I'm a bit worried about the hearing test as I *think* I saw the word referral on the results page before she clicked quickly off it - but I'll just have to wait and see. My biggest worry had been the eye test and somehow I scraped it - though was convinced I'd failed it as was rubbish at reading it with one eye covered!
    Let me know how you get on!

MBC x

yeah mine is dated the day before she signed hers

well she did put info in my box, but to be hoonest about 5 words not an awful lot but i cant add any other detail in now and it would be to different bits of hand writing lol

she did include all the details of the physio etc, ya no all the print outs and stuff so hopefully that will cover it

i should be fine with the eye test, havent had a hearing test since i was about 5 but i know idont have a problem with earing

only worring about the lung capacity test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Hmmm, don't pee on your hand

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: HAHAHAHA

• Advertisement

well thats the medical all done!!!

havta say i think it went really well, and was well at the top of the bluw lines in the lung capacity test so i am very happy!!!!

dont excellent in eye test read the whole way down and think i done ok in the ear tests, looked the the graph after i had done it and i was above the referral line!!

so all in all i am quite happy!!!

well thats the medical all done!!!

havta say i think it went really well, and was well at the top of the bluw lines in the lung capacity test so i am very happy!!!!

dont excellent in eye test read the whole way down and think i done ok in the ear tests, looked the the graph after i had done it and i was above the referral line!!

so all in all i am quite happy!!!

Hi Shelleyelley

Well done :). I also had no problem with the lung capacity test, she told me I was brilliant :o shucks lol. Just about the hearing test....I was under the impression if the line went higher than the referral line that meant you were referred? I didn't get a chance to have a good look but I thought there was a referral line and then another line (can't remember what it said but didn't sound good lol) above it. My line went up in between the two so I thought that was a bad thing :confused:. Oh well, I will soon find out! Did they give you any idea when you'll hear? Did you ask how it had gone at all?

It's great to get it over with, isn't it!!

MBC x

Edited to say - Just googled a hearing test graph and the line is supposed to be above both the 'warning' line and the 'referral' line. Damn....I think mine went below the referral line which is not good. Sob. There's nothing even wrong with me hearing!

i thought it just had to be above the referal line????ya dont know what way they are marking it???

i had a glance over at the form she was writing on and she just circled boxes about my hearing didnt write anything down, i thought if you where failing on the hearing test the wrote something down lol

who knows theres only one way to find out and thats chill and wait

she said that i would hear within the next two weeks, and i didnt ask how it had went, was to scared to lol

5 people didnt bother turning up yesterday which is good for us guys as well lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

i thought it just had to be above the referal line????ya dont know what way they are marking it???

i had a glance over at the form she was writing on and she just circled boxes about my hearing didnt write anything down, i thought if you where failing on the hearing test the wrote something down lol

who knows theres only one way to find out and thats chill and wait

she said that i would hear within the next two weeks, and i didnt ask how it had went, was to scared to lol

5 people didnt bother turning up yesterday which is good for us guys as well lol

5 people :eek: thats alot of people. . they only take in 16 each day!

just got one of those curiosity questions for yas lol

do any of you know roughly how many people they put right through to the medical stage????

just for an indication to see how many people are in the wastage category....cause i think im in it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

just got one of those curiosity questions for yas lol

do any of you know roughly how many people they put right through to the medical stage????

just for an indication to see how many people are in the wastage category....cause i think im in it lol

According to the Edward Scissorhands (SMT guy) there were about 500 people being put through medicals. A lot of people have dropped out since then (for one reason or another) so I'm assuming that this was only an initial batch.

really! i thought it would be a lot more? they do the medicals in order if merit numbers dont they????

so surely if what i just said there was true, us guys in the inital batch would be the ones with good merit numbers???

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Having failed med and did pca recently has anyone any idea when the Chief MO will send out notification just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I sure hope all those drop-outs have a better merit score than me, see if i cant get bumped up the list a bit more. No medical yet, doesnt look like im getting one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

I sure hope all those drop-outs have a better merit score than me, see if i cant get bumped up the list a bit more. No medical yet, doesnt look like im getting one either.

Hang in there PYG!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

By the tips of my fingers, darling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

really! i thought it would be a lot more? they do the medicals in order if merit numbers dont they????
    I don't think it's in merit order, because several people, on here alone, with the same background as myself (RC) with higher(worse) scores than me have had their medicals already, some even a month ago. I have been told by recruitment twice that I have been forwarded to OHU, and I am definately on their list, but they have alot of people to get through so to just wait on my letter. Perhaps it's done in relation to how complete your vetting is... Or it's completely random! Alphabetical order for all we know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fifty50

Hi,

I wonder do any of the new recruits know if the PSNI every consulted with their references / referees before being accepted?

Still waiting here too...it's been almost two months since sending off vetting forms, 7 weeks since my medical which I was told I passed 6 weeks ago and almost 4 weeks since I passed the SMT.

I'm in the top 100 but the waiting..aargghhh...I keep hoping but the longer it goes on...keep similing. I remember in the past applying in a February and not getting the dear john until November and I applied for this back in March.

Oh yeah! I noticed a lot of you guys are waiting for calls. Do they not notify you in writing first? I'll keep my set to vibrate just in case. Also...sorry questions questions...does C14 relate to the Consensia campaign that UID no.s begin with an 8??

Cheers.

P.s. I've posted this on another list but haven't had any replies in two days - thought I'd try this one - It seems to be used more. Also - not sure about medicals in merit order but when I had mine would actually relate to that time but not sure its the general rule.

Fifty50 wrote: »

P.s. I've posted this on another list but haven't had any replies in two days - thought I'd try this one - It seems to be used more. Also - not sure about medicals in merit order but when I had mine would actually relate to that time but not sure its the general rule.

Hi,

I was reading your post feeling such a sense of deja vu it frightened me, so glad you added the last bit lol!

I don't know much as this is my first time applying but I have heard a mixture from past boardies who are now in GV. Some say their referees were never contacted and others were - so I think there is no rhyme or reason to it. Much like the rest of the recruitment process it seems :D

Have absolutely no idea about medicals and order etc etc - just so glad to have had one as it was very unexpected given not very impressive merit number.

Have just read this back and have been no help whatsoever really :rolleyes:. I got excited at a new post as I've been having withdrawal symptoms at the lack of activity on the boards this evening. Sorry for rubbish reply :o

MBC x

...Hmmm...just polished off a bowl of crunchy nuts. Nice.

Has anyone ever made it in on their first application? Good luck I hope you do - this is my 4 application spread over almost 6 years. I didn't do one two years ago - kinda gave up and got frustated but fingers crossed. I never actually got my merit number in the past just the letter, a few wee things have changed over the years such as doing SMT which never happened before, the medicals are now in house instead of out sourced.

Mental to think we all won't hear one way or the other almost a year after applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Chance?

Hi there. long time reader first time poster!!!!!! Been an avid reader since I first applied way back in March/April this year, only now gettin round to joinin up and sharing the frustrations of all u folk!

Think I'm in roughly the same position as you PYG, I'm non-rc, merit number between 300 - 350, aren't you about the same?? So I'm a bit gutted coz I think that's prob not good enough for a non-rc, certainly borderline anyway. Bit frustrating to be honest seeing people on here with merit numbers in the 700+ area but rc background and getting a medical and all already when I haven't heard anythin about one and I'm 400 odd places above them! But I do understand why etc etc so fair enough. Does make you think though, if I was rc background I would be nearly a dead cert to get in with my score, and it seems a bit mad that being well within the top 440 in terms of performance might not get you in. We all know this though, and knew it before the start of the campign so have to get on with it just. Ah well!!

P.s. I have to say, this site is brilliant, it's great for both info on the various stages and also for the banter and for keepin the spirits up. So, good work everyone!

I've read the site so much over the months I actually feel like I know some of you characters!

Hi Chance?

I only recently joined myself.

Many can / will relate to your frustrations about the 50/50 issue and speaking as someone who has missed out 3 times already I know its annoying but ultimately the % must be addressed and Policing made accessible and accountable for all with all sections of society having ownershipand confidence. Guess it just has to be taken on the chin if it happens - but keep at it - you never know - treat it as a learning curve and don't give up!!

Ever hopeful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Hi MBC, Shelley, and all! Did medical yesterday after travelling 100+ miles!! :eek: I had directions wrote out on a piece of copy paper! Didnt have map or sat nav! Just M's and A's and B's!! Got there before my time anyways!!
    I was kindly shown in, abandoned the car, yes literally, and entered was met by a nice lady who told me were to go. Hearing test was first and I was glad as that worries me! not sure how I did, just hope. :confused:
    Next was BMI, didnt see what it was though but im below the 30 anyways! eyetest, perfect, colour vision, perfect. lung capacity I actually found tough enough! My little abdomen was almost turned inside out!! I did make it, just! Does that mean I aint fit enough? I do go to the gym jogging, weights, cycling etc. Maybe I need to increase my speed to get more air in the lungs! Fitness fanatics feel free to give tips! Apologies for the crazy alliteration!!
    Doc asked loads of questions, any mental illness in family, diseases etc
    Did peripheral tests which were easy, also did mobility exercises and when she stood up, I almost jumped up too!! Kinda funny as I wasnt supposed to!! Lady doc gave me a nice towel for over my shorts while she checked legs. All really nice folk I must say. Esp the nurse :rolleyes:
    SMT guy really methodical in his work and rightly so. No margins for error in this! My...ready MBC, axillae are now hair free!! ha ha Think of a bald gorilla now! My hairs short, personal preference of course!! After that it was on the road again, ended up doing a lap in the city centre, got bearings and saw the sign I wanted, home straight then!
    Said would be two weeks when I find out. Fingers crossed guys!! What time were you there at yesterday shelly? pm me if u wish
    Good to hear you got on well MBC. Hope you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Chance?

Cheers for the welcome!

And I do agree with you by the way. I'm not against the 50:50 and all, it's just tough when you want to get in so much and do well enough to be in the top 440 and not get in......but like I said, was aware of the 50:50 before I applied.....

anyway...I can still (and will) keep my fingers crossed!

what about you? you had medical and all?

best of luck

• Advertisement

Had medical almost 7 weeks ago, got a letter 10 days later that I passed, the SMT letter telling me I passed didn't arrive until a month after the medical.

I agree with Manaka - the guy who did it was very good, the folks there were actually really pleasant and friendly and genuinely well wishing.

Phoned recruitment 2 weeks ago and am still being vetted - sent forms in near two months ago but it could take ages.

Just waiting for the call!!

Advertisement