Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

manaka wrote: »
    Hi MBC, Shelley, and all! Did medical yesterday after travelling 100+ miles!! :eek: I had directions wrote out on a piece of copy paper! Didnt have map or sat nav! Just M's and A's and B's!! Got there before my time anyways!!
    I was kindly shown in, abandoned the car, yes literally, and entered was met by a nice lady who told me were to go. Hearing test was first and I was glad as that worries me! not sure how I did, just hope. :confused:
    Next was BMI, didnt see what it was though but im below the 30 anyways! eyetest, perfect, colour vision, perfect. lung capacity I actually found tough enough! My little abdomen was almost turned inside out!! I did make it, just! Does that mean I aint fit enough? I do go to the gym jogging, weights, cycling etc. Maybe I need to increase my speed to get more air in the lungs! Fitness fanatics feel free to give tips! Apologies for the crazy alliteration!!
    Doc asked loads of questions, any mental illness in family, diseases etc
    Did peripheral tests which were easy, also did mobility exercises and when she stood up, I almost jumped up too!! Kinda funny as I wasnt supposed to!! Lady doc gave me a nice towel for over my shorts while she checked legs. All really nice folk I must say. Esp the nurse :rolleyes:
    SMT guy really methodical in his work and rightly so. No margins for error in this! My...ready MBC, axillae are now hair free!! ha ha Think of a bald gorilla now! My hairs short, personal preference of course!! After that it was on the road again, ended up doing a lap in the city centre, got bearings and saw the sign I wanted, home straight then!
    Said would be two weeks when I find out. Fingers crossed guys!! What time were you there at yesterday shelly? pm me if u wish
    Good to hear you got on well MBC. Hope you get it.

Hey Manaka!

Sounds like you did OK! Bit worried about your axillae but apart from that :eek: Don't worry about the lung test too much. Loads of people feel like they haven't done well at all in it, only to find they've passed. The nurse (who it sounds like you fancied a little?!) was very nice and told me I was excellent at that bit (how good am I? lol) (pity about the hearing test :mad:). I know what you mean about the SMT man. You wouldn't need to be in a hurry lol but he was nice and very thorough. I hope I don't have to wait the full 2 weeks. I'm going mad and can't stop thinking about the hearing test. Pffftttt and I need my hair cut before a night out next weekend but I'm not explaining to my hairdresser why I have 2 spikey bits in the middle of my long hair!
    Right off to bed...
    Good luck, Im sure you've passed :)
    MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

well done fifty50. Hope you get the call soon for GV! should be worth it after 6 years in the making. Fair play to you for persevering at it. Lets hope theres no skeletons in the closet! So do they start vetting as soon as they get the vetting forms to speed up the process? If someone fails the medical do they hit the red button which reads 'STOP VETTING!!' and then shred your details! SMT guys said they keep a sample for a year as well didnt he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fifty50

Yeah, knackered. Oh well one step closer to the weekend and hopefully a positive answer.

ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Fo wrote: »
    I don't think it's in merit order, because several people, on here alone, with the same background as myself (RC) with higher(worse) scores than me have had their medicals already, some even a month ago. I have been told by recruitment twice that I have been forwarded to OHU, and I am definately on their list, but they have alot of people to get through so to just wait on my letter. Perhaps it's done in relation to how complete your vetting is... Or it's completely random! Alphabetical order for all we know!

From my detective work it seems they do the medicals in order of community background ie top RC merit scores being offered the 1st medicals followed by the top non RCs. Could be wrong though but going by the people I know that seems to be the case.

cheers MBC, must hit the sack soon myself! well the nurse was a cutie now. she can ask me to press any button anytime! :D Did anyone read to the end to see what happened in the dog story!? Fingers crossed, so much hangs in the next two weeks!! Please Jebus, make it happen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Ali08 wrote: »
    From my detective work it seems they do the medicals in order of community background ie top RC merit scores being offered the 1st medicals followed by the top non RCs. Could be wrong though but going by the people I know that seems to be the case.

that would make sense as they could closely monitor medicall applicants in regards to the 50/50. i presume u mean like 1st 20 rcs, then 1st 20 nonrcs then next 20 rcs ..... going by merit? would explain my early med date bein rc. have u had urs yet?

oh yeah mbc, you could blame the lil un for the hair cut! you were fast asleep in bed and she came in after watching edward scissorhands (not the SMT guy like someone smartly quipped!) Yawn...Zzz...G...night....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Chance? wrote: »
    Hi there. long time reader first time poster!!!!!! Been an avid reader since I first applied way back in March/April this year, only now gettin round to joinin up and sharing the frustrations of all u folk!

Think I'm in roughly the same position as you PYG, I'm non-rc, merit number between 300 - 350, aren't you about the same?? So I'm a bit gutted coz I think that's prob not good enough for a non-rc, certainly borderline anyway. Bit frustrating to be honest seeing people on here with merit numbers in the 700+ area but rc background and getting a medical and all already when I haven't heard anythin about one and I'm 400 odd places above them! But I do understand why etc etc so fair enough. Does make you think though, if I was rc background I would be nearly a dead cert to get in with my score, and it seems a bit mad that being well within the top 440 in terms of performance might not get you in. We all know this though, and knew it before the start of the campign so have to get on with it just. Ah well!!

P.s. I have to say, this site is brilliant, it's great for both info on the various stages and also for the banter and for keepin the spirits up. So, good work everyone!

I've read the site so much over the months I actually feel like I know some of you characters!

Yes indeedy we are in a very similar posistion, though you are prob a few places better than me. :mad:;):). Is your vetting complete etc? Have you had a medical? I havent and my vetting has been complete for 2months or more. Yeah seems our scores are border line:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Chance?

Yes indeedy we are in a very similar posistion, though you are prob a few places better than me. :mad:;):). Is your vetting complete etc? Have you had a medical? I havent and my vetting has been complete for 2months or more. Yeah seems our scores are border line:(

Hey

Don't know about better position, I'm towards the 350 more than the 300! I sent off my vetting in June or July! When I phoned up to get my merit place when they were released they could only tell me that my vetting was "ongoing". I haven't checked since then after the letter tellin us all not to bother contacting them! 5 months tho - I hope its gone through by now! But I've lived abroad and also in Edinburgh for uni so might take longer than some others.

Good work on gettin your vetting passed! I've had zero word about a medical either, its crap isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Ali08 wrote: »

Hi Ali08 :) Im worried because i have PM'd a few people on here who have higher(worse) scores than me, from RC background, and they have already done their meds! I dont want to keep pestering Recruitment but you gotta look out for Number 1, so I'll probably get on to them tomorrow again! Agh!

I keep thinking my forms got lost in post and i've missed my med, but both times i phoned them the girl rang OHU then called me straight back to say she had confirmed I am on their list. And when i mentioned merit numbers, she said she had no idea what order medicals are done in.

:(

• Advertisement

Penis Eye wrote: »
    that would make sense as they could closely monitor medicall applicants in regards to the 50/50. i presume u mean like 1st 20 rcs, then 1st 20 nonrcs then next 20 rcs ..... going by merit? would explain my early med date bein rc. have u had urs yet?

yeah had mine in october, non rc background.

Hi Ali08 :) Im worried because i have PM'd a few people on here who have higher(worse) scores than me, from RC background, and they have already done their meds! I dont want to keep pestering Recruitment but you gotta look out for Number 1, so I'll probably get on to them tomorrow again! Agh!

I keep thinking my forms got lost in post and i've missed my med, but both times i phoned them the girl rang OHU then called me straight back to say she had confirmed I am on their list. And when i mentioned merit numbers, she said she had no idea what order medicals are done in.

Hiya! I take it u are from rc background too? its pretty confusing if you're on the list but still havent heard back, i've heard of a med result gettin lost in the post so it can happen. i guess OHW arent told much as regards to how u qualify for a medical. i'd def try ringing recruitment cause if anyone does actually know itshould be them. Good Luck anyway, they arent the friendliest bunch over the phone anyway!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Fo,
    My Med appt got lost in the post, i only found out I had one by phoning to see how my vetting was going, it was the next day! They rearranged one for me - but it's worth ringing them to keep asking. OHU were able to look forward about 2 weeks in their diary to see what appts were already booked.
    Hope you get one soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Chance?

i wonder if anyones ever missed out because their medical letter got lost in the post and they didn't know so they missed it? like they told us not to contact them, so if you did what they said, and if your letter got lost in the post and u didnt get it at all, u would never know!!! and they would just assume u didn't want to go on with your application! imagine there might be people out there who would have got in and were due to but this happened to them and they had no idea.....absolute nightmare!!

could this happen or am I missing something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

I just hope noone who has applied has a close relative working in the post office who is ripping up all the envelopes with appointment dates in them, they would be easy enough to spot, I have done mine any way so I am okay LOL but maybe someone working for BT or O2 or vodafone has a relativer in the same position and they are blocking all our phones AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Then again maybe I am just paranoid.

PS: I hate getting up at 4am to post all these bloody Xmas cards ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Hey PandaPants?
    Pandapants??
    Panda?
    You there?
    Pandapanta?
    Oi PandaPants?
    Helloooo, Pandapants?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

MrFug wrote: »
    Hey PandaPants?
    Pandapants??
    Panda?
    You there?
    Pandapanta?
    Oi PandaPants?
    Helloooo, Pandapants?

:D

Yuh huh? How may I be of service? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Hows it going then PP?? any news yet or are you still hanging on by the fingertails??????;)

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    Hows it going then PP?? any news yet or are you still hanging on by the fingertails??????;)

I got my results about a month ago! lol T'was a pass.
    It didn't actually say I passed, it just said I was progressing. LOL

Did anyone actually fail??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

PandaPants wrote: »
    I got my results about a month ago! lol T'was a pass.
    It didn't actually say I passed, it just said I was progressing. LOL

Did anyone actually fail??
    Yeah i have heard of people failing and having to appeal it!!:(

• Advertisement

Chelsea555 wrote: »
    Yeah i have heard of people failing and having to appeal it!!:(

Oppps, got confuddled there for a second. I meant the SMT. They told me on the day that I'd passed the medical and got the letter to confirm 3 days later. I was having a good wee yarn with the nurse during all the tests and had a bit of craic with the doctor too.

He was very impressed that I could bend over and put my palms flat on the floor without bending my knees. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

ahhh! i can do that too! better get limbered up before i go for my medical on tues :)

what do they ask you to do when you are in the buff?

in the buff!? I just got down to my shorts! First up, park car, anywhere! I parked outside the door more or less! guy said it was grand! hearing test is first, nurse will ask you questions like 'have you been exposed to loud noise in the last 24 hours?' this is where you shout 'WHAT!' ha, just kidding! then its the height and weight, reading/visual test, you have to read a small paragraph to test your eyes, then its the normal eye test. then b/p, spirometer, take a deep breath, deeper than the deep blue sea! then docs comes, asks some medical questions. you do some stretch and mobility moves, not the kung fu type dont worry! you should be grand if you have nothing to worry about! then its smt guy, Mr B. bit long but its standard. best of luck! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

I would advise you to edit or remove that last post. I found her picture in about 10 seconds. It may not be her but you should remove it just in case.

surfrunner wrote: »
    I would advise you to edit or remove that last post. I found her picture in about 10 seconds. It may not be her but you should remove it just in case.

Guys, last time I checked the PSNI didn't run around wearing balaclavas. Anyway, I apologise Panda. It was probably silly of me to post. Even if the concerns about security are a bit paranoid, I didnt expect people to go tracking your pic down. Sorry :o

Guys, last time I checked the PSNI didn't run around wearing balaclavas. Anyway, I apologise Panda. It was probably silly of me to post. Even if the concerns about security are a bit paranoid, I didnt expect people to go tracking your pic down. Sorry :o

I'm just glad you found a photo where I'm fully clothed.... ;)

surfrunner wrote: »

I didn't realise that profile was public. I've made it private now, so you can't all go perving at me. :D

There's much better filth on t'interweb. ;)

No no you were naked in that one too, It's just been cropped. Actually, the bottom half is well cropped too... nice :P

P.S Has anyone who was appealing medical decisions heard anything yet? I phoned today to confirm that they received my info I send last week and took the opportunity to ask how long these appeal decisions usually take - "A few weeks" apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I'm now curious about the other photos! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 OnFire

P.S Has anyone who was appealing medical decisions heard anything yet? I phoned today to confirm that they received my info I send last week and took the opportunity to ask how long these appeal decisions usually take - "A few weeks" apparently.

I had to appeal my medical decision and mine took about a month to get back to me.

Advertisement