Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

I know of 2 people who failed their medical because of the hearing test and both were told on the day that the test had picked up a hearing problem and they needed to be referred. Has anybody failed on the hearing test and not been told on the day? This is the only part I'm really worried about (even though I've no history of hearing problems) but nothing was mentioned on the day of my medical. I'm really not getting any better at this waiting malarky :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

I know of 2 people who failed their medical because of the hearing test and both were told on the day that the test had picked up a hearing problem and they needed to be referred. Has anybody failed on the hearing test and not been told on the day? This is the only part I'm really worried about (even though I've no history of hearing problems) but nothing was mentioned on the day of my medical. I'm really not getting any better at this waiting malarky :rolleyes:
    i passed the medical but was told about some signs of hearing damage I imagine if it was bad enough to fail they would tell you in case you got knocked down on the way home, duty of care and all that............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

Just a quick note on posting pics of someone else or even linking a pic. Just be careful when doing it and please ensure it is ok first with the person. It is up to yourselves whether you want to post pics of yourself but I would advise against it.

Panda,

If you would like to edit/delete any of the posts of your pic, send me a pm.

Thanks to all

Nog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cookemeister

Hi Guys long time lurker first time poster.....did not expect to pass a/c but got word last week that my medical was tomorrow....not going these are reasons....and all good
    my BMI is way above 30 (years of weightlifting followed by a few of inactivity) failed Prison Medical due to this 3 months ago and really did not do much about it for the police,,, do not get me wrong i have a base level of fitness and am a nightclub doorman so can stand for long periods I have decent flexibility for a big guy as I have did Martial arts on and off for the last 15 years but I am still too big!!! Now I know that anyone with bmi >30 is automatically offered chance to do the PCA test but it also says on the occ health standards that those with BMI.30 and bodyfat >5% will be rejected! so the reality check is that I did not take this campaign seriously enough and will endeavour to make it work for 2009!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

buddy, i honestly think you should give it a shot, the worst they can say is no, and at least then you know exactly where you stand and what you need to do for next time. also the PCA is worth having a go, if you are >30 but fit enough to pass the PCA then they will take it into consideration.

i personally can identify with you, last campaign my bmi was well over 30, i was kinda kidding myself as to my weight and my chances of passing medical, i failed and even though they gave me the chance to do the pca i declined as i wanted to lose the weight and be fit rather than just be fit, used it as motivation to lose a few stone and get a hell of alot fitter, glad i did it now. you need to be honest with yourself, do you want to use this as motivation to lose some weight, or do you genuinely feel you would be fit enough to pass the PCA, end of the day its up to you, but as i said the worst that can happen is you fail, you still live to fight another day

• Advertisement

cheers pal bottom line is I am kidding myself about my weight!! I had the chance to get at it after failing the Prison Service Medical I should have known better!! Whilst I am at the gym a few days per week I was not training hard enough and certainly not eating right....I stopped weightlifting a few years ago when we started a family but i was still eating as a weighlifter...!! I have a belly i am over 20 stone i carry it well because of my wide shoulders its like this I need a lifestyle change and will get at it next campaign i never took myself seriously this campaign . This was my first time applying and I got to Medical stage of that I am chuffed! I know what I need to do next year I will focus on Fitness and circuit training well before I even apply and must keep uo with the apptitude tests also!!Reality starts here too late but perhaps the kick uo the behing I need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

OnFire wrote: »
    I had to appeal my medical decision and mine took about a month to get back to me.

How did that go mate? Did you pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

cookemeister you should def go, even just for the craic and see what happens. its better to get failed than just sitting wondering! i've got my medical tomorrow too, i don't wanna get on the scales either!!!

so anyway, what should you wear to the medical (apart from clean pants)? :)

Thats it, clean pants!
    It is casual you are not graded on your dress sense:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

cookemeister you should def go, even just for the craic and see what happens. its better to get failed than just sitting wondering! i've got my medical tomorrow too, i don't wanna get on the scales either!!!

Dark boxers!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

thats fair enough cookie, sounds like you've got you're head screwed on. it took me too fail last campaign to get the boot up the arse to lose weight, last campaign i took this way too easy and not serious enough so i know exactly where you're coming from.

good luck in the future bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

cheers pal bottom line is I am kidding myself about my weight!! I had the chance to get at it after failing the Prison Service Medical I should have known better!! Whilst I am at the gym a few days per week I was not training hard enough and certainly not eating right....I stopped weightlifting a few years ago when we started a family but i was still eating as a weighlifter...!! I have a belly i am over 20 stone i carry it well because of my wide shoulders its like this I need a lifestyle change and will get at it next campaign i never took myself seriously this campaign . This was my first time applying and I got to Medical stage of that I am chuffed! I know what I need to do next year I will focus on Fitness and circuit training well before I even apply and must keep uo with the apptitude tests also!!Reality starts here too late but perhaps the kick uo the behing I need

To be honest seems like you gave this campaign a half ass effort. I dont mean that in a bad way I done it last year - applied for IST just to see if I could do it - I passed and was satisfied that I was good enough to get into PSNI. I done it last year with a guy I used to work with who also passed IST he went on to the further stages only to be unsuccesful. It was only then I realised how much more after the IST there is. So I applied this year, again without any intention of joining up but just to see if I make the grade. The way I looked at is that its experience, it dosnt cost me anything (other than travelling), I will know if I am good enough and all that could happen is I would be in the extact same position as I was at the start. I have passed the IST, AC, Medical, SMT & am just waiting on vetting now.
    What im trying to say is take the day to do your med because you will always wonder what if. The worst thing is you will be in the same position tomorrow you are in now. And if you do not meet the grade this time round it will give you the kick up the arse you need for next time.

Go for it and let me know how you get on.

-TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

mate in my honest and humble opinion i think u should go for it. reasons being
    1 its better to try and fail than fail to try.
    2 in this day and age it isnt writ in stone that there will be a c15
    3 (dont take this the wrong way) next campaign may be different or harder and u may not get this far again.

if u put off to the next campaign it would seem like all ur eggs would be in 1 basket. its ur call but if u go to the med it might reveal other areas u need to work on for it e.g. hearin or sight. my bmi was borderline ( wrong side of the border) and dr pepper let me thru cause of my build. go on give it a go.. wots the worst that can happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

my keyboard hurts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Penis Eye wrote: »
    my keyboard hurts

Mine too!!!:D

the good thing is I did a full medical for the prison service 3 months ago and the sight and hearing were all good they had to stick on the BMI thing the dr said that if i had been 19st he would have taken a chance . he wrote a strong letter of referral to see if they might call me back in 6 months!!he said that I was obviously high BMI due to my weightlifting past and he could see that there was medically nothing wrong but they had to stick with the BMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

the good thing is I did a full medical for the prison service 3 months ago and the sight and hearing were all good they had to stick on the BMI thing the dr said that if i had been 19st he would have taken a chance . he wrote a strong letter of referral to see if they might call me back in 6 months!!he said that I was obviously high BMI due to my weightlifting past and he could see that there was medically nothing wrong but they had to stick with the BMI

Give your medical a go cookemeister!! Best of luck whatever you do mate!!;)

There are people who are 2overweight" who sail through the medical, if you are reasonably fit and get sent for the PCA I know someone in mid 30's who is a smoker and never done any real exercise who got it first time in just over 3mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LXI 87

From what i can gather even if you pass he PCA they can still turn you down the finial decision lies with the Chief Med Officer. Well i think that is what it says on the medicial information pack you get in the BMI bit.

They will always have some get out clause LOL If it was me i would give it a go I was in the same position as yourself in May i was 19 stone and knew if i wanted to give this campaign a go i needed to lose weight so put my mind to it and lost 5 stone.I had my med 2 weeks ago and just about passed the BMI 29.1. However i had my fitness up to a standard that i would have been fairly confident in passing the PCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Well I got my pca result back from the Chief MO and as expected it was a fail, no c14 for me. BMI was a fraction over 30 though I had lost some weight since passing the same med in April 08(c13) and unfortunately ended up turning down my intake in the last few months due to my mother being off her feet with a hip replacement (she's 77) and as you know at that age losing mobility is the worst thing. So being overweight is a serious issue which means i wont be in the psni, my experience as a rc in working class nationalist areas in Belfast wont be used and my university education (BA MSc) is void. Lose the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 OnFire

MrFug wrote: »
    How did that go mate? Did you pass?

Yes happy days I did pass!!!! Are you appealing?

ah. just had my medical. its a pure marathon of medical testing!!

when i had just finished talking with the doc, i noticed she had ticked no for the last question. what is the last question!? i had a short depressive episode in 2005 when my ma and da went their separate ways (in a less than amicable fashion :() so i hope this doesn't count against me. thats the only that could trip me up i think, i don't have any other major issues! what do you guys think? everyone was really nice. and my bmi is alright - phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Chance?

ah. just had my medical. its a pure marathon of medical testing!!

when i had just finished talking with the doc, i noticed she had ticked no for the last question. what is the last question!? i had a short depressive episode in 2005 when my ma and da went their separate ways (in a less than amicable fashion :() so i hope this doesn't count against me. thats the only that could trip me up i think, i don't have any other major issues! what do you guys think? everyone was really nice. and my bmi is alright - phew!

well done on gettin through your medical! hope it all goes well for you. I myself am just in limbo at the moment waiting for a medical call up that might never come!! all this waiting is so tough when u really want somethin! anyway didn't i read before that u were non-rc and around the 300 - 320 mark in terms of merit score??? only askin because I'm also non-rc and in the 300s so am interested to know if I might be anywhere near getting a medical!!

Cheers!

i am between 300-320 non rc. whereabouts are you in the 300s? again, the nurse told me that people hadn't been turning up for medicals in the past few weeks so you never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

i am between 300-320 non rc. whereabouts are you in the 300s? again, the nurse told me that people hadn't been turning up for medicals in the past few weeks so you never know!

Sorry to be a nosey parker, I am a non rc with mid 300s merit, how much notice did you get of your med date...... i did ring up and ask if i was even listed for an appointment but was told in a round about way by a nice girl, no! all hope mightn't be lost!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Chance?

Sorry to be a nosey parker, I am a non rc with mid 300s merit, how much notice did you get of your med date...... i did ring up and ask if i was even listed for an appointment but was told in a round about way by a nice girl, no! all hope mightn't be lost!!!!

I'm same as u it seems, non rc between 340 - 360. realistically not too hopeful but i can still dream! when was it you phoned up and asked that?? sometimes i think about ringin up and asking all this stuff but not after they sent that letter saying not too, and from what I gather they won't be able to tell you much anyway. it's a nightmare situation to be in isnt it! not a good enough score to know uve a good chance of getting in and not a bad enough score to know you wont be getting in!:mad:
    i wish i knew or could find out how many have not turned up for their medicals or failed them, particularly how many non rcs. if only there was some way of seein or findin out as the process goes on how ur doing, if you are moving up a bit in the list or if there is a possibility of a medical anytime soon etc etc...but no!

ah well

I am 320-340 non RC, and my medical was about 2 weeks ago. I got a letter 10 days before it giving me the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Ooh sounds good, im in the 350s non-RC! Though a guy PMd me after he rang OHW yesterday to say his name wasnt on the list and he was in the 340s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Ooh sounds good, im in the 350s non-RC! Though a guy PMd me after he rang OHW yesterday to say his name wasnt on the list and he was in the 340s.

I am hacked off with all this waiting malarky, just send me a fecking dear joan and get it over with.... a defeatist attitude i know but am starting to wonder if this is what it's like just trying to get into the force what's it like actually working for 'em when it comes to all the personnel/training nite that goes with having a job..... In the words of a 5 year old I know "this is a load of poo!"

• Advertisement

i hear ya - i had to get my date put back cause it didn't give me enough notice!! I got the letter at the start of Nov and the original date was about 16-17th. id say we have enough evidence here to safely say the cut off for non-rc medicals was between 300-350. but this is my first campaign, so im wondering if they will continue medicals later in the recruitment process if people they put forward for medical fail/don't show up/don't take up their place?

i am personally cacking it now. and i have a big lump of hair cut of of the top of my head!!

Advertisement