Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

MrFug wrote: »
    PASSED MY APPEAL.

Absolutey over the moon. I guess now I'm just waiting for 'the call'? RC background, Merit: mid 200's.

What's the number to ring to check if vetting has completed?

Thanks

Congrats!! mid 200's RC i'd say that's you in!! :D assuming ur not a psycho axe murderer and fail ur vetting that is :p

Oh and courtesy of Carlty from the vetting thread a couple months ago...: Ring 028 90650222 and ask to speak to Police Vetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CityGirl88

Hiya everyone, stumbled across this site when I was looking for information on what is going on with my PSNI application now! I did my medical and drugs test, passed them both, thankfully! But I found this out about over a month ago, and they said that the PSNI would be in contact "shortly". Anyone able to elaborate on this? What happens now? I havent heard anything about my vetting forms either and sent these away around 2months ago! Anyone been through this that has a fair idea about what happens next? Kinda doing my nut here! Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

CityGirl88 wrote: »
    Hiya everyone, stumbled across this site when I was looking for information on what is going on with my PSNI application now! I did my medical and drugs test, passed them both, thankfully! But I found this out about over a month ago, and they said that the PSNI would be in contact "shortly". Anyone able to elaborate on this? What happens now? I havent heard anything about my vetting forms either and sent these away around 2months ago! Anyone been through this that has a fair idea about what happens next? Kinda doing my nut here! Lol.

Any idea what your merit number is?

CityGirl88 wrote: »

Welcome to our happy family! :D:p

Heh sorry to be the carrier of bad news but "shortly" is definately pushing it :(

Basically from here you are supposed to just wait. Although a lot of people have phoned 028 90650222 to find out about their vetting and their merit numbers.

By all accounts if you get a woman from vetting she mightn't be very nice to you but if you get a guy he'll be pretty pleasant. We're not really supposed to phone about our vetting though, but general consensus is that the odd phonecall is OK.

Do you know your merit number? That and your background would be the next things to give you some indication of the timescale you are looking at.

To be honest though they have kept us all in the dark a little. Basically we're up to about 100 Non-RC now have gone in and I lost track of the RC merit numbers but I think a good bit higher was the last I saw.

Also remember there might well be people with better merit numbers who have deferred or who have been waiting on things to pass so that might slow things down further.

Basically though now is a waiting game for you i'm sorry to say. But as I said, you can get some idea of your chances from your merit number and background, but it is going to be a horrid horrid wait with lots of phone watching as most people on here can attest to!!

But sure we all stick together here so hang about and we'll all make the wait easier if we can since we're all in the same boat :(

Anyhow, congrats on your medical pass and welcome to the forum :)

Aw thanks guys for the quick responses! At least now I am a little bit more "in the know". Lol. I have no idea what a merit number even is, never mind what mine is! haha. Is it where you come in the pool? and another quick question...any ideas if I do get in, around what time in the year would I commence training? Its just at the minute, I am finishing a degree.. and dont know whether I should defer my place at uni..or defer my place with the police. Thats if I get in! LoL
    Thanks anyway for your replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Toben

How do u go about getting your merit number? Do u just phone the number:02890650222? I am so clueless about all of this, all new to me! At least I'll no it all for next time!

Hey laura, yeah I just rung that number there now and they are only open 9 til 5 monday til friday!
    so looks like we will be waiting til monday!

Son of a Bit*h, I am sick of waiting, it is so nerve wrecking waiting to be told u have not got in!

Yep. This is, without a doubt, the most stressful recruitment process ever invented! It takes over a year from start to finish in most cases, and 99.9% of that is waiting. Waiting for IST date, waiting for IST results, waiting for Assessment centre, waiting for results, waiting for vetting, waiting for medical, waiting for medical appeal.... It's horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

Got a letter through the door today to say that my appeal has been successful! Weird, yesterday I was freaking out and today I have the letter in my hand. Now I just have to pass the pool, thats me out anyway!
    PASSED MY APPEAL.

Absolutey over the moon. I guess now I'm just waiting for 'the call'? RC background, Merit: mid 200's.

Thanks

Same here! Got the appeal successful letter today! I'm over the moon. I've passed every thing now including the vetting, so hopefully not too long to wait for me... but you never know!

• Advertisement

kelso69 wrote: »
    Same here! Got the appeal successful letter today! I'm over the moon. I've passed every thing now including the vetting, so hopefully not too long to wait for me... but you never know!

I guess it just depends how long it takes the Chief Medical Adviser to write to Recruitment and tell them we're ok. These guys seem to work in months rather than days or weeks.

Congrats tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

PASSED MY APPEAL.

Thanks

WOOOO HOOOOO!!! Well done dude. I'm going to have a beer tonight to celebrate. :D:D

any excuse.... :D:D

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Welcome to our happy family! :D:p

Basically we're up to about 100 Non-RC now have gone in and I lost track of the RC merit numbers but I think a good bit higher was the last I saw.

I'm RC in 440's and I'm in for 1st Feb. I think i was one of the last in my intake though.

So yeah, merit number is your position within the pool. As far as we can gather (based on some educated discussion but mostly guesswork) is that the merit number is based on your assessment center result.

Then there's some suggestion they're broken down further for those with similar scores (since very little separate the 1000 people in the pool) by scores within the IST and individual answers to questions.

Once you have been placed in a position that is your merit number. I understand this can change though as people fail things or pull out.

At this stage, anyone who has passed everything (IST, AC, Vetting and Medical) get selected for the hotel, and as far as we can tell this is done based on merit number starting at 1 and finishing when they have roughly 440 odd recruits (which can change from campaign to campaign).

However it gets slightly complicated because after ordering us into merit, they then split us in two (i mean the group not each person! :p) based on our backgrounds and select a (roughly) equal number from each group for each intake to make up half RC and half non-RC over the whole campaign. Since there are usually a fairly significant number more non-RC than RC it can mean that an RC with anything up to 1000 odd (again can differ from campaign to campaign and might be getting lower due to the increased number of RC applicants) has a chance of selection.

Hence as I mentioned above the last intake had a non-RC with merit around 95 and PandaPants who confirmed they are RC around the 440 mark. Also why I suggest you find out your merit number and background since based on this info it'll give you some idea of what chance you have and how long you'll have to wait :)

Hopefully that's all correct as far as we can all tell (someone correct me if not) and hopefully Laurapeoples and Citygirl that helps you to understand what the hecks going on a little. Cos they don't exactly make it very clear what they are up to in recruitment.

What the heck is vetting then? Is it ur family, religion? Surely we've answered everything they needed to know about us in the questionnaire!

I am soooo confused, I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cpn

What the heck is vetting then? Is it ur family, religion? Surely we've answered everything they needed to know about us in the questionnaire!

I am soooo confused, I hate this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a check into your background to make sure that you have not been up to anything that would conflict with you being an upholder of law and order. As far as I know this includes;
    -Criminal record checks on you, your immediate family and partner.
    -Finincial checks to make sure you are not broke/in bad debt which could leave you open to the temptation of bribes etc.
    -Checks on your previous addresses, again to make sure you are not known to the police as being a bad egg.

Im sure there are other's also but as usual us poor candidates are kept completly in the dark about the whole process. As mentioned before your best bet is to ring up and get your merit numer.

Hope this helps a wee bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

Hey folks,

Happy New Year to all fellow potential-peelers!

Am still waiting on a very much longed for medical date! The thing is I rang up in Nov and asked if i was even on any waiting lists, no was the reply... I am due to go on holiday in 2 weeks for 2 weeks, am worried that sods law will kick in and something will hit the doormat when i am away, should i ring up and ask again or just leave things as they are and leave it to fate? Am so scared of ringing recruitment after the last time, i nearly had a stroke out of nervousness!

Sincerely
    Peggy Sue's Mama :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭pablissimo

Hey folks,

Am still waiting on a very much longed for medical date! The thing is I rang up in Nov and asked if i was even on any waiting lists, no was the reply... I am due to go on holiday in 2 weeks for 2 weeks, am worried that sods law will kick in and something will hit the doormat when i am away, should i ring up and ask again or just leave things as they are and leave it to fate? Am so scared of ringing recruitment after the last time, i nearly had a stroke out of nervousness!

Sincerely
    "Faint heart never won fair maiden"

Go on give them a jingle......

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Hey folks,

Sincerely

Yeah, go on give them a ring. What's the worst that could happen??? (Says she who is afraid to ring about vetting). Just explain you are going away and are worried about missing it etc etc and hope for the best :D

Good Luck!!!!!!!

MBC x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Hey folks,

Sincerely

Give them a ring - nothing to lose, I didn't receive my first med date it got lost in the post, when i rang to see if i'd been selected for a medical they said i should have received it already as my medical was the next day. They said a lot of people have reported not getting med letters,
    deep breath now............. get dialing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

For anybody who got a passed fit letter from the medical review over the past few days:

Did it just say I consider you medically fit or did it mention anything about the issue that you needed to provide extra info/reports from. Mine just said medically fit after I sent back various stuff - just presume all is OK now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

don't ask, don't get, ring them and find out the craic

if you do get a date, you have a good reason to have it changed if it conflicts with your holiday so don't worry from that perspective.

finally if theres one thing i've learned its this:

don't put your life on hold, i know you really want to get in, i've been there over my 3 applications, but if you start letting the "what ifs" dictate your life then you are going to have an even more miserable time waiting

I got "the call" today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cpn

I got "the call" today

Very well done! What date for?

Nice one Laura!

What time did they call? I ask cause I had a missed call from an unknown number around ten past five.

What was your merit # and background if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks

Nice one Laura!

What time did they call? I ask cause I had a missed call from an unknown number around ten past five.

Thanks

They called about quarter to five, so it could have been them. I called up to get my merit number about 30 minutes before they called, so random, it was number 40- I don't really no wot that means, but I am guessing it is not that bad as I start Feb 1st!

i do not know wot the background means, no idea at all. Is that vetting? She said she was sending out the contract tomorrow, so thrilled.

Nice one Laura!

Thanks

Recruitment close at 5. Ring them tomorrow and find out though!!! Someone might have been doing a wee bit of overtime.

Fingers crossed you're a GREEN!!!

PandaPants wrote: »
    Recruitment close at 5. Ring them tomorrow and find out though!!! Someone might have been doing a wee bit of overtime.

Fingers crossed you're a GREEN!!!

I'd love to ring them, but I don't think I will. I'll be like "hello, erm, were you looking for me????" and they'd be like, "erm, no, go away and have patience". lol.

It just seems like a conincidence as I NEVER get calls from withheld numbers. Even when I'm getting harassed by '3' they use a detectable number. That combined with the fact that calls did go out around that time roughly has got my brain working overtime.

I'll leave it for now, I guess if I'm in for february then they'll phone back. If not, hopefully they'll call me at the end of the month for the march intake. Hopefully :D

I realise this is a disappointment to you PandaPants as you wanted to bunk-up with me :P Sorry.

I'd love to ring them, but I don't think I will. I'll be like "hello, erm, were you looking for me????" and they'd be like, "erm, no, go away and have patience". lol.

It just seems like a conincidence as I NEVER get calls from withheld numbers. Even when I'm getting harassed by '3' they use a detectable number. That combined with the fact that calls did go out around that time roughly has got my brain working overtime.

I'll leave it for now, I guess if I'm in for february then they'll phone back. If not, hopefully they'll call me at the end of the month for the march intake. Hopefully :D

I realise this is a disappointment to you PandaPants as you wanted to bunk-up with me :P Sorry.

Pleeeeeease phone! Please? I really have to know....

• Advertisement

Well, I made a call of sorts today. :)

I rang them using the pretence that I wasn't sure if they had my current mobile number on file. Once she had confirmed that they had, I took the opportunity to ask for my merit number again and explained that I had heard of instances where they have changed slightly. She told me categorically that "they do not change".

I then played it all naive and asked what happens next since I've passed everything else. She told me that appointments go out in the order of the merit list, so how quickly you get called depends on how far up (or down?) the list you are.

Nothing cleared up really so back to waiting :D

Advertisement