Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Shame certain people didnt read the post properly before commenting.

some people did read it and felt it was contradictive!

The true version is as follows = a statement of fact

If its the same person = contradicts the first part in opening ambiguity into the so called fact!

just didnt like ur wording. thats all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Ding Ding - Round 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Shame certain people didnt read the post properly before commenting.
    Penis Eye wrote: »
    some people did read it and felt it was contradictive!

The true version is as follows = a statement of fact

If its the same person = contradicts the first part in opening ambiguity into the so called fact!

just didnt like ur wording. thats all!

Ok folks, no need for anyone to get at each others throats.
    There seems to have been a simple misunderstanding so lets leave it at that.
    1979SD wrote: »
    Ding Ding - Round 2!!

Dong = no round 2 :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

T'is all just friendly banter Mr Nog - don't think anyones taking it to heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Cheers Teg, I hope you remember me when you are in GV and im going through all this el poopoo again in C15!!

Of course mate will be thinking of you guys, just go in to C15 guns blazing! Thats what I did in C14, take every opportunity to show Nonsensia, I mean Deloitte:rolleyes: what you can do!!!!:D

Teg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

integra1 wrote: »
    Of course mate will be thinking of you guys, just go in to C15 guns blazing! Thats what I did in C14, take every opportunity to show Nonsensia, I mean Deloitte:rolleyes: what you can do!!!!:D

Teg

At least I could pronounce Consensia!!! I feel a little deflated to be honest. Still really want to be a cop but the prospect of C15 is like a huge brick wall..........now wheres my bulldozer?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 potatopeeler

Has anyone had laser eye surgery done ?

Getting my eyes lasered on Monday, there's no way I'd pass the eyesight requirements i've a -6 shortsighted perscription in both eyes , and the unaided part would be my downfall, like a hungry budgie I'm so determined to suceed , (suck seed ) :D . I want a job in the PSNI more than anything, I Know I have a lot of hoops to jump through before I even get to the medical (if I'm lucky).

Wish me luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Has anyone had laser eye surgery done ?

Getting my eyes lasered on Monday, there's no way I'd pass the eyesight requirements i've a -6 shortsighted perscription in both eyes , and the unaided part would be my downfall, like a hungry budgie I'm so determined to suceed , (suck seed ) :D . I want a job in the PSNI more than anything, I Know I have a lot of hoops to jump through before I even get to the medical (if I'm lucky).

Wish me luck .

aye m8t i got it done for the police back in dec 07,cuz my eyesight was that bad! it was brilliant for the first few months then it just went haywire, it kept geting worse, i got an enhancement back in january on my right eye and its been amazing ever since and got my left eye redone on mon there, so im still waiting on it settling!

good luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

i had mine done last june, went to the place on the Lisburn Road. Fab job, am so glad to get rid of the glasses, was -4 in both eyes, so i would never have passed med, in fact i failed the medical the last time i applied because of my eyesight.

I was very lucky, no pain as such, no itchiness either, just very red and bloodshot for about a week afterwards. I do get a bit of a halo thing round lights at night time when i am driving but i was told that can take around a year to settle down anyway. No rubbing eyes for first 6 mths, you'll be amazed at how often you do go to give them a good rub when you are tired!

Take time to chill out afterwards, sleep, sleep, sleep.... though i will admit i was bored out of my brain after one day of no tv, no exercise, no reading, no nothing! I am not a patient patient!

Well chuffed with the results (though now i can see wee fine lines round my eyes when i would never have noticed them before!) Worth the money even if i don't get into the peelers!

Good luck, and remember to breath when you are on the chair, i was that tense (as you would be with a big laser machine clamped to your face!) i forgot and wear a jumper, the operating room is freezing!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 potatopeeler

Well chuffed with the results (though now i can see wee fine lines round my eyes when i would never have noticed them before!) Worth the money even if i don't get into the peelers!

Good luck, and remember to breath when you are on the chair, i was that tense (as you would be with a big laser machine clamped to your face!) i forgot and wear a jumper, the operating room is freezing!:D

Thanks for the advice I'll update the board next week providing I can see my keyboard ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

i had mine done last june, went to the place on the Lisburn Road. Fab job, am so glad to get rid of the glasses, was -4 in both eyes, so i would never have passed med, in fact i failed the medical the last time i applied because of my eyesight.

im -4 aswell i thought you could pass with aided or unaided eyesight :confused::confused: arghh now youve paniced me!! are we not allowed glasses or contact lenses? im terrified of eye surgery watched it on youtube bad bad idea :(

i really hate to tell you this ticklemonster but you will not pass an eyetest with unaided vision if your prescription is -4, i failed and at that time mine was -2. You had better go and speak with your optician and tell them you are applying to join the police, they will be able to tell you straight away if you meet requirments or not.

Unfortunately you cannot wear glasses or contacts, think it is for health and safety reasons, for example if you were to get caught up in a tussle and lost a lense or got your glasses knocked off, i know that there is no way I would have been able to see anymore that 3ft in front of me with no specs on before i had the surgery. Crap thing is though, i see peelers with specs on all the time! You could be in the police for years and your eyesight gets worse, they wouldn't kick you out then so i don't know why they make a difference to new starts!

Surgery really not that bad, and i am quite squeamish about things like that, i couldn't work with contacts, but coped fine with surgery and all the after care eye drops.... maybe you should look into it? Is not cheap, over 3 grand with Optimax in belfast, but if you work out how much lenses/glasses cost you in say 5-8 years, is about the same.

Hope this helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

im not even 20 yet and i wanted to get the laser eye yolk done to my eyes but they said that i was too young, that was last summer when i was 18.

they then phoned me n said about a consultation and they were gonna take younger people in for the surgery but i said no because my optition said, do it if you want, but i wouldnt recommend it until your 20+.

i thought i had really really bad eyesight, but i could read really far down the list without my glasses!!! i drove the other day without them, and it was fine. only thing was i couldnt check out the good lookin (lady) drivers behind me and in oncoming traffic :(

i really hate to tell you this ticklemonster but you will not pass an eyetest with unaided vision if your prescription is -4, i failed and at that time mine was -2. You had better go and speak with your optician and tell them you are applying to join the police, they will be able to tell you straight away if you meet requirments or not.

Unfortunately you cannot wear glasses or contacts, think it is for health and safety reasons, for example if you were to get caught up in a tussle and lost a lense or got your glasses knocked off, i know that there is no way I would have been able to see anymore that 3ft in front of me with no specs on before i had the surgery. Crap thing is though, i see peelers with specs on all the time! You could be in the police for years and your eyesight gets worse, they wouldn't kick you out then so i don't know why they make a difference to new starts!

Surgery really not that bad, and i am quite squeamish about things like that, i couldn't work with contacts, but coped fine with surgery and all the after care eye drops.... maybe you should look into it? Is not cheap, over 3 grand with Optimax in belfast, but if you work out how much lenses/glasses cost you in say 5-8 years, is about the same.

Hope this helps?

aww thanks for the reply :) i dont know whether i feel terrified or really sad at hearing that :( lol my mum has been telling me to get it done im just going to be brave and hope she will pay for it and ill return it when (lets be positive) im a 20:20 sighted officer :D

i'll have to stock up on all known nerve calmers the thought of it is scaring me, did you get it done with optimax? ive literally just booked a consultation with them :eek: saw on the internet they have a new blade free treatment! cant believe it this is a huge step for me lol

your right about the cost of glasses and lenses i imagine nothing beats the feeling of waking up in the morning and being able to see the clock or look out the window without having to fumble around searching for glasses:)

you found the surgery ok then? its the clamps and things moving toward my eyes that bothers me, did you find it painful im looking into the lasik and intralse lasik (new bladeless one!) can you see much of whats happening? ahh sorry for all the questions, i could ramble on forever lol :D

oh yeah i know what you mean i saw a female officer on t.v giving an interview and she wore glasses and a local policeman wears glasses ive seen lots of fellow spec wearers, :( just have to get on with it i suppose :pac:
    smyff wrote: »

i thought i had really really bad eyesight, but i could read really far down the list without my glasses!!! i drove the other day without them, and it was fine. only thing was i couldnt check out the good lookin (lady) drivers behind me and in oncoming traffic :(

they say once youve had a steady prescription for a year you should be able to get the surgery although thats provided any other criteria are ok!

you'll make some officer lol is that an offence taking place over there? smyff: oh i dont know i was checking out that hottie :P im only joking i do the same to men particularly the uniformed variety:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

Hope this helps?

Are you sure about not wearing glasses while on duty. I passed medical with and without glasses and cant recall anything about not permitted to wear glasses

surfrunner wrote: »
    Are you sure about not wearing glasses while on duty. I passed medical with and without glasses and cant recall anything about not permitted to wear glasses

ahh a glimmer of hope :D what is your prescription?? im a ridiculous -4, rather expensive to get these babies thinned...jam jars to say the least :cool:not a good look, ive seen officers on duty rocking the specs look! dont see what the problem with contact lenses would be though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭emz2009

hey guys this was on their website hope it helps
    Some Key Medical Standards

Vision
    • Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    • Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    • Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    • Normal visual fields
    • Severe colour deficiency not acceptable

emz2009 wrote: »
    hey guys this was on their website hope it helps
    Some Key Medical Standards

Vision
    • Binocular vision 6/6 aided or unaided (if visual aids are used must have 6/12 or better in best eye)
    • Unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly
    • Near vision N6 aided or unaided
    • Normal visual fields
    • Severe colour deficiency not acceptable

Cheers for that. My prescription is

-.025/-1.75 right eye
    -.025/-.025 left eye

I think thats how to decifer it. I passed the medical no problem...they even asked me why I wore glasses!!!

No Probs - :)

I knew I should of kept specsavers information card for something!! I dont know the statistics of my site at all! Im hoping if I even get that far (fingers and toes crossed ) that it will be the same sort of requirments as driving ( the only ting i really need glasses for ) and that all will be ok .. might just make a wee eyesight appointment to doubley make sure... right back onto concentrating for this test next month! Im gonna scud myself thinking so far ahead! :):)

Cheers for that. My prescription is

-.025/-1.75 right eye
    -.025/-.025 left eye

I think thats how to decifer it. I passed the medical no problem...they even asked me why I wore glasses!!!

ahh im not surprised they asked why you wore glasses :p with that prescription you must be able to see pretty much perfect withou them?unfortunatly im always speced or contacted up :cool:

• Advertisement

ahh im not surprised they asked why you wore glasses :p with that prescription you must be able to see pretty much perfect withou them?unfortunatly im always speced or contacted up :cool:

I started wearing them for tv/cinema/driving at night etc and got so used to them that I wear them all the time. I have been told i am perfect candidate for laser but have heard a few horror stories.

have heard a few horror stories.

:eek: go on then tell me...please :) i cant imagine the clinic being all to willing to tell me, cant go blind anymore so thats a bonus :D

surf runner sorry Im sure it is mentioned somewere on this site but slowly making my way round it but did u get into the psni then ... congrats however getting as far as the medical!
    Tickle you would really benifit from laser - the amount of people who i know who have had it done would recommend it to anybody!!

Just got a message saying my treadmill est delievery date is 28th of may -2 MONTHS TO DELIEVER A TREDMIL!!!!!!! what has happened good owl next day delievery services!!

i didn't say you couldn't wear glasses or lenses on duty, it's if you need them to aid your vision because it's below a level where if you lost your glasses in a scuffle you would be rendered half blind. in the eyetest tey will expect you to be able to read to a certain level on the chart, if you are a -4 script then there is no way you could read that much without your glasses.

I know before if i had lost my specs i would have been useless, i missed buses an all sorts, couldn't read a magazine or book properly if it was laid on my lap and i had no glasses on.

I have just cringed at the amount of spelling mistakes in that last post! Please dont there be spelling in the tests!:p

i didn't say you couldn't wear glasses or lenses on duty, it's if you need them to aid your vision because it's below a level where if you lost your glasses in a scuffle you would be rendered half blind. in the eyetest tey will expect you to be able to read to a certain level on the chart, if you are a -4 script then there is no way you could read that much without your glasses.

I know before if i had lost my specs i would have been useless, i missed buses an all sorts, couldn't read a magazine or book properly if it was laid on my lap and i had no glasses on.

half blind id be rendered fully blind :o

surf runner sorry Im sure it is mentioned somewere on this site but slowly making my way round it but did u get into the psni then ... congrats however getting as far as the medical!
    Tickle you would really benifit from laser - the amount of people who i know who have had it done would recommend it to anybody!!

Just got a message saying my treadmill est delievery date is 28th of may -2 MONTHS TO DELIEVER A TREDMIL!!!!!!! what has happened good owl next day delievery services!!

hopefully i can get it, dont know what ill do about the nerves! i may rob an ambulance on the way there for the gas and air supplies ;)

never mind next day emz wait until you have to put it together, do you know a kind man who will do it? im not knocking us girls but they are very heavy :cool: or is yours going to be made up when you get it :)

Lol no no Ill just get the mister to set it up! but im all disapointed its gonna take 2 months ill have lost my "Lets get fit nowwwwwwwwwwww" novelty! where did you get yours from?? oh and Gas and air is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!

you will be fine believe me, i hate the thoughts of stuff like that! i went for the full lot, lasek, with wavefront and epilase, no blades involved at all, jesus i wouldn't let anyone near me peepers with a blade! optimax are good, they even have an interest free payment plan... i got mine at a reduced rate as i am an nhs employee, go to their website, there is a forum where former patients go on and answer queries. unless you are very unlucky and things don't work out for you (which can happen in any operation!) you will never look back, well you won't look back with crappy blurry vision!

I can honestly say it has changed my life, getting into the psni would just mke it all the greater!

• Advertisement

Lol no no Ill just get the mister to set it up! but im all disapointed its gonna take 2 months ill have lost my "Lets get fit nowwwwwwwwwwww" novelty! where did you get yours from?? oh and Gas and air is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!

off the internet cant remember who he was but we picked it up from him, think he was somewhere around belfast, very attentive me lol messed around putting the damn thing up would have paid extra if he had it already made! ahh i know i do that all the time im going to get fit and talk myself into it then get bored, you'll have to hit the pavements, two months does seem a long long time :pac:

i havent had gas and air since i was at the dentist years ago, much enjoyed :D until i needed the emergency dentist and from then i had injections :( nothing more undignified than some young dentist talking to you while half your face doesnt work and your holding one side of your face because it feels like its hitting your knees lol

Advertisement