Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

Just take them in with you and declare them is the safest bet. They ask you the date you last dyed your hair (if youre into that), if you have taken any meds, even a simple painkiller and when you last took it etc. Its better to get all out in the open. And well done you for losing the weight. You shouldnt be penalised if its legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

bc84 wrote: »
    was gonna post this in the SMT thread but either my eyesights gone or its awol, probably my eyesight lol my medical joy was short lived as last night a friend of mine pointed out about false positives and stuff on the SMT.

long story short is i used to be about 22stone, got myself down to 16stone in about 2 years then plateaued (sp) for ages. was running everyday and watching my diet and was not losing a pound. looked into some fatburners and got a course of ephedrine, have been taking it for about ten days and things are finally moving again.
    then last night a friend informed me that ephedrine is in some way part of making amphetamines like speed etc and it can and does frequently cause false positives for illegals on drug tests. im completely bricking myself now, having waited so long to get this date, having never ever touched a drug in my life im gonna get rejected over a legal fat burner. was thinking of phoning OH&W for advice. anyone here had anything similar?
    if anything is prescribed, it will be filled in in the MHQ. you will need to declare that on the forum. aswell, for stuff like what your talking about, your best bringing in something like a box just to show and declare it all. i know codene produces a false positive for cocaine, well i think. it was that long ago we all talked about it.

aslong as you tell the guy/girl taking the sample. you get a carbon copy thats signed. and they take 2 samples, so if a false positive does occur, you can appeal it and get the 2nd sample tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

thanks guys, thats made me feel a bit better. would be gutting to have lost so much weight and got my fitness to a really good level only to be rejected on that basis. i was def going to declare them for sure, havnt done anything wrong so i wouldnt hide it, never thought about actually bringing them in though. thanks for that :)

its a cert i get through the smt and the bmi and get a fail on something else though lol

Think positive my friend. Its the only thing that will get you through. Believe in yourself and you'll get there. Chase the dream. Nowt wrong with that. Youll be grand. Seriously. Look how far youve come. Right. Im packing this all in to become a life coach........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

got my medical date today finally! :D

Ah well done, I was wondering when you'd get yours:)

• Advertisement

Just take them in with you and declare them is the safest bet. They ask you the date you last dyed your hair (if youre into that), if you have taken any meds, even a simple painkiller and when you last took it etc. Its better to get all out in the open. And well done you for losing the weight. You shouldnt be penalised if its legal.

Hey, do they ask about the hair dye on the day? Iv just dyed mine so maybe should make a note of it! Would it be worth while keeping note of painkillers names and when they were taken?

I couldnt remember the EXACT date that I dyed my hair but they asked me to try. Those SMT boys have had their sense of humour surgically removed at birth. They will be suitably impressed with you if you can remember the last time you took a paracetamol though.

I couldnt remember the EXACT date that I dyed my hair but they asked me to try. Those SMT boys have had their sense of humour surgically removed at birth. They will be suitably impressed with you if you can remember the last time you took a paracetamol though.

Oh god, im scared now! Do they ask like how many you have taken in the last three months or just name what you have taken ie Ibuprofen and Paracetamol.

Sorry for the questions

No bother. No dont be scared. Its all very straightforward. They do ask for the name. But I dont think its a big deal if you cant remember. Im not into meds (just for hang overs from hell when I have been a bit too heavy handed on the tequilas) and only then when I can crawl to the medicine cupboard. Youll be fine... Just dont be ripping the ass out of it coming up to your medical. A friend of mine told me that they can tell a lot from a hair sample but I think that it all depends on what theyre looking for. I can practically sit on my hair so they would have my whole life story right there. ...

No bother. No dont be scared. Its all very straightforward. They do ask for the name. But I dont think its a big deal if you cant remember. Im not into meds (just for hang overs from hell when I have been a bit too heavy handed on the tequilas) and only then when I can crawl to the medicine cupboard. Youll be fine... Just dont be ripping the ass out of it coming up to your medical. A friend of mine told me that they can tell a lot from a hair sample but I think that it all depends on what theyre looking for. I can practically sit on my hair so they would have my whole life story right there. ...

Try getting that in a hair net and tucked below your hat. Thanks for the info chick.

• Advertisement

Ha ha. Nightmare I know. Its about time I got it cut anyhows. Hairnet?? Nobody told me that.... Im a pure fashion victim dahlink. Is there such a thing as high heeled psni issue boots. I could start a trend. Shoulder pads and high heeled DMs. How bad is that??????????????

lol i guess that makes me sad. i wrote down the exact date haha. the guy i had was dead on!!! he was great craic.

rosco, are you a member of the female community?!?!

Frigging sure I am!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

smyff wrote: »
    lol i guess that makes me sad. i wrote down the exact date haha. the guy i had was dead on!!! he was great craic.

rosco, are you a member of the female community?!?!

Person i had was really down to earth, had a bit of a laugh and chat with them. :)

Having said that there was a guy from the PSNI onlooking. Gorgeous ********. Ah. Not that I was looking. Or staring. Cos I wouldnt do that. No way. Ever.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

Having said that there was a guy from the PSNI onlooking. Gorgeous ********. Ah. Not that I was looking. Or staring. Cos I wouldnt do that. No way. Ever.......

was he in uniform by anychance :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 everhopefull

Jeez, its so weird to think they test your hair!!
    Do you think they check how much you smoke or drink coffee and drink?
    Im thinking waaay ahead here.
    They must be able to tell sooo much about your lifestyle.
    I'm thinkin a detox would be in order comin up to that stage in the process.;)
    Good luck with all the medicals coming up. It must be great to be that far on in the game!!

Jeez, its so weird to think they test your hair!!
    Do you think they check how much you smoke or drink coffee and drink?
    Im thinking waaay ahead here.
    They must be able to tell sooo much about your lifestyle.
    I'm thinkin a detox would be in order comin up to that stage in the process.;)
    Good luck with all the medicals coming up. It must be great to be that far on in the game!!

its nice to have finally got a date, but after kinda resigning myself to the next campaign, im feeling more stressed than ever about it now i have a date lol trying not to think ahead but get through this and its crunch time which is very scary lolol

how long does it take for a pass / fail notification for the med?

Frigging sure I am!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol i didnt know. i spose its hard to guess though unless you have a name like psMAMA, pyGIRL or MRSgh. our dude could have been the same guy also nickni!

i hope i get him next year, but i dont want too... if you get what im saying!

everhopefull, its the most effective method though. blood test, people can be afraid of needles, pee test, alot of drugs pass out pretty quick if you dont take as much,...

hair is the best method cause they can tell everything, down to the date i spose! caffene doesnt effect it :P i cant live without coffee and im still a young boy. i can sleep after a realllly big cup of that double espresso and i know people who will be awake for days

smyff wrote: »
    lol i didnt know. i spose its hard to guess though unless you have a name like psMAMA, pyGIRL or MRSgh. our dude could have been the same guy also nickni!

i hope i get him next year, but i dont want too... if you get what im saying!

everhopefull, its the most effective method though. blood test, people can be afraid of needles, pee test, alot of drugs pass out pretty quick if you dont take as much,...

hair is the best method cause they can tell everything, down to the date i spose! caffene doesnt effect it :P i cant live without coffee and im still a young boy. i can sleep after a realllly big cup of that double espresso and i know people who will be awake for days

Young boy indeed! What? I think you have been cryogenically frozen in the past and transplanted into the body of a young boy. Scary science rules .......

• Advertisement

does anyone know if these meds are being handed out willy nilly as in previous campaigns or is it true what iv heard about meds only being given to people with a shot of actually getting in? just a thought that crossed my mind today

does anyone know if these meds are being handed out willy nilly as in previous campaigns or is it true what iv heard about meds only being given to people with a shot of actually getting in? just a thought that crossed my mind today

From what i understand due to the costs involved, you only get a medical if you are high enough on the merit list to stand a good chance of being offered a place in GV. Others feel free to correct me if i am wrong though?

nickni wrote: »
    From what i understand due to the costs involved, you only get a medical if you are high enough on the merit list to stand a good chance of being offered a place in GV. Others feel free to correct me if i am wrong though?

I heard that as well. Maybe thats why the likes of me and bc are getting them so late on in the game. They probably have waited to see if we were needed. Does a medical not cost a good few hundred quid!?

I had never had an eye test so booked one there for Saturday past. LOL I have better than 20/20 vision LOLOLOL

I had never had an eye test so booked one there for Saturday past. LOL I have better than 20/20 vision LOLOLOL
    lolacaust

I heard that as well. Maybe thats why the likes of me and bc are getting them so late on in the game. They probably have waited to see if we were needed. Does a medical not cost a good few hundred quid!?

Was told it was around £500 per person with the SMT etc....

nickni wrote: »
    Was told it was around £500 per person with the SMT etc....

a lot of money when you mulitply it by the amount of people who get meds lol filled in my form tonight, gonna write off to the guys who deal with smt about the supplement problem im having just to see if i can get some advise, found an address on the medical letter. saying that, im having trouble wording it in a way that doesnt make me sound like im covering my tracks for taking speed or something ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Remember guys Carlty got a medical in Campaign 13 with a merit not good enough for his background to be offered a post and he indeed was unsuccessful. he is in now in C14 though as we know. It must have been a mistake and a one off in C13! However, I would have to agree with those of you with merits well into 300s at present getting medical invites that you are in a strong enough position. Especially with so many dropping out due to security issues and others who leave after the induction day......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

What would put people off on the induction day? Being shouted at? Ah im pretty desensitised to that! Women are the best trainers for it! :D

• Advertisement

manaka wrote: »
    What would put people off on the induction day? Being shouted at? Ah im pretty desensitised to that! Women are the best trainers for it! :D

Eh? Surely there would be no guldering on induction day. Women make the best shouters for sure. Im like a banshee. Should be introduced at the medical. Full marks for me.

Advertisement