Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bubba1981

Had medical today, everything was fine. Doc said he couldn't foresee any problems - time now for the long wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Louisiana 1927

Bubba1981 wrote: »
    Had medical today, everything was fine. Doc said he couldn't foresee any problems - time now for the long wait...

Sounds good Bubba;), that's what they told me & sure enough i passed!!!

Bubba1981 wrote: »

I also think you'll get the results pretty soon given that your med was so quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bubba1981

Cheers lou!apparently this year they're spacing them out a bit more so they're not having med's everyday. The season for this is because it was so manic last campaign. There are roughly 16 each day and they started this week. The nurses are fantastic and i found the doctor quite pleasant also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

Hey. Quick question (or two...)

I recently had my hair cut for an interview I had and totally forgot about the medical which is very soon. My hair should be just about 3cm at its longest. Will that be OK? I know the letter says "at least 3cms". But thats all they need right? :confused:

How many clumps of hair do they take? It sounds like I will have a lot of explaining to do when people see my head!:o

Another thing that occured to me. Do they just test three cms of hair and discard the rest? Fair enough if people havent been naughty then its all good but if someone with short hair and someone with long hair had both taken something a year ago the one with the long hair may get disqualified and the other get off scott free. Thats hardly fair!:rolleyes:

I would appreciate a reply cause I really dont want them pulling at my pits. Sounds painful!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

i was in a similar situation, had my hair cut about 4 weeks before the med. in my opinion it was def 3cm's but the guy was a bit of a bellend about it. argued with him over it but he ended up taking armpit samples :s

im fairly sure, as a constant, they would have to test only 3 cms of hair, otherwise the test wouldnt be fair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I would appreciate a reply cause I really dont want them pulling at my pits. Sounds painful!!:eek:

Don't worry about them pulling the hair out of the armpits. If you think that will hurt you, you can just ask them to pull out some pubic hair instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Hey. Quick question (or two...)

I recently had my hair cut for an interview I had and totally forgot about the medical which is very soon. My hair should be just about 3cm at its longest. Will that be OK? I know the letter says "at least 3cms". But thats all they need right? :confused:

How many clumps of hair do they take? It sounds like I will have a lot of explaining to do when people see my head!:o

Another thing that occured to me. Do they just test three cms of hair and discard the rest? Fair enough if people havent been naughty then its all good but if someone with short hair and someone with long hair had both taken something a year ago the one with the long hair may get disqualified and the other get off scott free. Thats hardly fair!:rolleyes:

The samples of hair that they take are split into two. One remains sealed for 12 months incase of a dispute and the other sample tested right away. The sample that remains sealed doesnt disintegrate in anyway apparently so thats why they test hair. If you've done something naughty that you shouldnt have it wont matter if your hair is long or short - its the first three cm from the root.
    The decision as to whether your hair is long enough will be made by the technician on the day. My advice is not to be a douche bag about it, they need the sample, end of, and this is your career and potentially the rest of your working life at stake here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

Cheers for the replies.

I am not gonna be a douche bag!lol. I will let them pull it from wherever. Just wanted to be prepared and know what the score is.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Cheers for the replies.

I am not gonna be a douche bag!lol. I will let them pull it from wherever. Just wanted to be prepared and know what the score is.:)

Theres advice aplenty on the boards :)
    If theres something you want to know chances are its already been discussed or we can find out..;) We're a friendly bunch!
    Best of luck for the rest of your campaign!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Theres advice aplenty on the boards :)
    If theres something you want to know chances are its already been discussed or we can find out..;) We're a friendly bunch!
    Best of luck for the rest of your campaign!

especially mine :P latest and greatest tunes to get you through the waiting game! pop into the general thread anytime haha

but defos, there is some info on here thats really good, its just looking through it all would take you a year! so just ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

I wear glasses for short sightedness, but i still meet the requirements easy. Regardless, I'd prefer not to be joining with the loss of peripheral vision wearing glasses all the time if I get the call up. What's the medical take on laser surgery? Can you get it before the medical or during the 'Big Wait'? Or is it one of those funny things where you have to have it done a year in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

Hi, I'm just new to the board so was hoping someone could answer a wee question for me.
    What is the dress code for the medical? My letter just says wear something to enable a physical examination which is pretty vague.
    Thanks

i wore jeans and t shirt and some decent boxer shorts lol i seen people there in trackies though. anything thats easy to get dressed / undressed.

on a serious note its worth woring some proper fitting underwear as things may pop out during the stretching exercises

What's the stretching exercises? It's my first time.....as if it isn't already blatantly obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

poppysox wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just new to the board so was hoping someone could answer a wee question for me.
    What is the dress code for the medical? My letter just says wear something to enable a physical examination which is pretty vague.
    Thanks

Are you female or male?

haha dont worry, ask all the questions you need, everyone has asked them before no doubt. its just basic stuff - stand up, touch your toes, stand on one leg and bend your knee, same with the other leg. then they'll lie you down and push your knee's back and forward, rotate your leg etc etc

all very straight forward :)

Female

im guessing female by the name, could be incorrect though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Female

Ok.

I wore black jogging bottoms and a zippy hoodie. Make sure you have decent undies on as you will be stripped down to them.:o

Ps- bc, you can never tell with user names, Sadie Ooo was a fella! And Wee scot a girl!

• Advertisement

bc84 wrote: »
    haha dont worry, ask all the questions you need, everyone has asked them before no doubt. its just basic stuff - stand up, touch your toes, stand on one leg and bend your knee, same with the other leg. then they'll lie you down and push your knee's back and forward, rotate your leg etc etc

all very straight forward :)

ahh right, that's the first I knew there were stretching exercises at the medical. I know nothing about it other than what's in your letter.

Ok.

I wore black jogging bottoms and a zippy hoodie. Make sure you have decent undies on as you will be stripped down to them.:o

Ps- bc, you can never tell with user names, Sadie Ooo was a fella! And Wee scot a girl!

Did you wear proper underwear or like a sports bra?

Ok.

Sadie Ooo was a bloke??? Yeah sure PYG thought i was a girl:p!!

Poppysox when did you get your letter for the medical??

last week.

Do they take your tattoos into consideration at your medical or is that at another stage?

last week.

Do they take your tattoos into consideration at your medical or is that at another stage?

thats done during vetting i think maybe. i know mine werent looked at at the med.

its nothing to be nervous about, the staff are all spot on, and just ask genuine questions, not trying to catch you out or anything. id give you a run through of roughly what to expect but im not sure if we're allowed. cant really see why not i spose

Aye I got my vetting froms today but have only briefly scanned an eye over them. I don't think any of my tattoos should be a problem ( i hope!).
    I'm cacking myself about the medical, just because I don't know what it's like. Role-plays and tests are pretty self explanatory but the letter's a bit cryptic and vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

You need to touch your toes?!!!! I could pass the push pull and run tomorrow. Played football, squash and bits of martial arts regularly in the past to name a few things. But I've never been able to touch my toes. Is that really a requirement? That's lame if it is. It is no indicator of a persons fitness or medical health at all really. It would be a half my football team ruled out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Likewise, I've known flexible people who couldn't run the length of themselves. It's not a requirement though, so you're alright.

• Advertisement

cduck wrote: »
    You need to touch your toes?!!!! I could pass the push pull and run tomorrow. Played football, squash and bits of martial arts regularly in the past to name a few things. But I've never been able to touch my toes. Is that really a requirement? That's lame if it is. It is no indicator of a persons fitness or medical health at all really. It would be a half my football team ruled out.

its not a requirement lol i was just using it as an example, you'll bend over and stuff just to make sure theres no obvious outstanding injuries etc

im the same and so would half of my football team. last time i could touch my toes was about when i was 15 LOL

but you get the picture :)

Advertisement