Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

middle 300s and non rc. Bear in mind that there are still 2 intakes of C14 to go (Oct & Nov).

you could be in for a long, long wait, unless you have done exceedingly well in your ac. take my advice and try to put it to the back of your mind and get on with your life as if this wasn't going on. you will drive yourself insane trying to figure out, second guess and clue up and what happens next. i can guarantee you that you will never go through something as frustrating or as unpredictable and random for a job in your life.:rolleyes:

PSM is right just forget about it, you have done the hard bit the AC. All you can do now is keep fit and if you have done your medical and passed all the better. If you dwell on something too much you will lose your mind. I still haven't got med or vetting forms and I'm not going to be worrying myself, If they come fantastic if I get a dear john oh well better luck next time, but there will be a next time and I will get in eventually no matter how long it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonetoosoon

Hey. Just wanted to know whether anyone knows the officail line on the SMT results. I got my medical results a week after doing it but I understand the SMT is seperate.

Do we get seperate results for SMT? Or do they just contact those who fail? I note the letter says results within 14 days for the SMT specifically.

It would just be noce to know so that I can just sit back and wait for the vetting to clear and the horror of the merit list!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

dont hold your breath for an smt result. i did my medical in may, got a pass letter 2 weeks later and to this day still have no idea if my SMT was clear. im not worried about it as i dont do drugs, but yeah, it would appear the line about SMT results within 14 days is complete BS. no news is good news is the way im looking at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sammy77

[font=&quot]Hi lads, just a quick question re: the eyesight test in the medical. I've got pretty poor vision (probably around 6/60), if I get laser surgery would this be a sufficient way of bypassing the 'unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly' requirement? Cheers for any answers![/font]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes it would. A poster here from a few years ago got it done, and he is now out on the mean streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sammy77

Cheers, nice one for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 erneboy

I just got a letter telling me I am not considered up to the medical standard but inviting me up to GV for an assesement. I am a wee bit over peak weight but not massive. (5' 8" and about 13.5 stone). Has anyone done this before or any advice I can get would be appreciated. I have started doing a bit of running but I am not what you would call fit yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

erneboy wrote: »
    I just got a letter telling me I am not considered up to the medical standard but inviting me up to GV for an assesement. I am a wee bit over peak weight but not massive. (5' 8" and about 13.5 stone). Has anyone done this before or any advice I can get would be appreciated. I have started doing a bit of running but I am not what you would call fit yet!

Hi mate

Went through the PCA last campaign in November 2008. I was very stupid and didn't train or do any preparation thinking 'how hard can it be?!' what a fool I was:eek:

You will need to aim to complete 3 circuits of the course in 3mins 43seconds and will need to do the push pull test also. For fellas the push pull should be OK but the circuit is tough as the instructor pushes you hard.

Watch the video on the PSNI website to see exactly what is required but if you are as unfit as I was last time (BMI 33.6 and hadn't done ANY exercise in about 5 years) you will strugle.

There were three other fellas up there when I did it and we all came out of the room with purple faces!

Good luck:)

p.s. your BMI is below 30 so you didn't fail on that so don't worry about being at peak weight mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rollinstone

I have my medical coming up soon and was wondering what the procedure is regarding alcohol, i.e how long before the appointment should i stop drinking, i dont have a problem am just a student and i dont want to wreck myself for gettin in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

Do we get seperate results for SMT? Or do they just contact those who fail? I note the letter says results within 14 days for the SMT specifically.

I'm not entirely sure, but I never received any SMT results and I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

Had my first ever medical today and it really wasn't what I expected! The nurse, doctor and all the staff were lovely and really put me at ease. It's impossible to tell though how u've done as they gave nothing away. If your going for your first medical soon my advice is don't worry too much, I was cacking myself before but there was actually good craic with the doctor and nurse.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice on it before :)

Oh I also want to ask that if you fail the medical and ask you to do the fitness circuit, how long do you usually get between the letter and your appointment date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

Got my medical forms thru the mail today. You'd think I'd be delighted...or so I expected to be! Instead, I've started panicking. I'm worrying about all those sports injuries I've been to the doctor for over the past 10 years. I even had some short physio on some of them. All healed up as expected over time, but I'm worried they'll be seen as a symptom of something more sinister rather than a sign of an active lifestyle :(
    Anyone heard of someone failing cause of too many similar type visits to the doctor?

cduck wrote: »
    Got my medical forms thru the mail today. You'd think I'd be delighted...or so I expected to be! Instead, I've started panicking. I'm worrying about all those sports injuries I've been to the doctor for over the past 10 years. I even had some short physio on some of them. All healed up as expected over time, but I'm worried they'll be seen as a symptom of something more sinister rather than a sign of an active lifestyle :(
    Anyone heard of someone failing cause of too many similar type visits to the doctor?

I wouldn't worry too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cduck

poppysox wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much.

Happys days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

There was a thread somewhere about BMI ( Body Mass Index ) somewhere - I have gone back 50 pages but can't find it so I guess I'll ask my question ; what is the story re. BMI ? Is over 30 an automatic fail ? Does the doctor have the final say ?
    My own BMI is I think over 30 but I have always been of big build and heavy frame ( certainly I've never been called a ' fattie ' ;) ).
    I read somewhere that the doctor decides such matters and is not strictly governed by rules.
    Obviously I'm worried this is going to be a showstopper - anyone have any knowledge / experience of this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

delancey42 wrote: »
    There was a thread somewhere about BMI ( Body Mass Index ) somewhere - I have gone back 50 pages but can't find it so I guess I'll ask my question ; what is the story re. BMI ? Is over 30 an automatic fail ? Does the doctor have the final say ?
    My own BMI is I think over 30 but I have always been of big build and heavy frame ( certainly I've never been called a ' fattie ' ;) ).
    I read somewhere that the doctor decides such matters and is not strictly governed by rules.
    Obviously I'm worried this is going to be a showstopper - anyone have any knowledge / experience of this issue ?

As far as I'm aware if you fail the medical due to a BMI over 30 you will be offered the chance to do the PCA - a physical competency assessment at the training college.

As far as I'm aware if you fail the medical due to a BMI over 30 you will be offered the chance to do the PCA - a physical competency assessment at the training college.

Thanks for the quick reply , does this mean I can assume I will have to do PCA ? Is over 30 BMI an automatic fail ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LXI 87

Yes for males the limit is 30 however they do take into account muscle mass. So if your bmi is over 30 then the doctor gets the body fat calipers out and if your body fat is 5% over your predicted then they deem you medically unfit. However you can appeal the fail and take the pca test which if you pass then over turns docs decision.

IMHO unless you look like Arnie or Jay cutler there is a fair chance if somebodies bmi is over 30 they will not pass the body fat test because 30 is a pretty generous figure you have to remember between 25 and 30 is still classed as obese. Based on my height there is 14kg of a difference between 25>30 which is a fair bit.

If you have the time and effort before your medical get it below 30 don`t risk it, I lost over 5 stone last year between may and november in order to get my bmi down to below 30. Went for medical november last year and passed.

LXI 87 wrote: »
    Yes for males the limit is 30 however they do take into account muscle mass. So if your bmi is over 30 then the doctor gets the body fat calipers out and if your body fat is 5% over your predicted then they deem you medically unfit. However you can appeal the fail and take the pca test which if you pass then over turns docs decision.

IMHO unless you look like Arnie or Jay cutler there is a fair chance if somebodies bmi is over 30 they will not pass the body fat test because 30 is a pretty generous figure you have to remember between 25 and 30 is still classed as obese. Based on my height there is 14kg of a difference between 25>30 which is a fair bit.

If you have the time and effort before your medical get it below 30 don`t risk it, I lost over 5 stone last year between may and november in order to get my bmi down to below 30. Went for medical november last year and passed.

Hmm , looks like it's the PCA then as I got just 2 weeks notice so unless I eat just 2 cream crackers a day and walk the dogs 30 miles a day for the next fortnight then I don't reckon I'll get below 30 :(
    Oh well then - any advice/tips on PCA ? Anyone experienced it ?

• Advertisement

Well my bmi last year was 29.3 just under. Since then I have been training pretty heavy so got medical date last tuesday and I was 15st3 and to pass medical i need to be 14st3 . So I have just cut the carbs, up the water and doing about 2 hours cardio a day seems to be working was down to 14st 10lb this morning, so if you don`t have to much to lose then get cracking.

If you have a reasonble fitness level PCA dosen`t look to bad but for someone who dosen`t exercise then it might prove challenging.

What your bmi at the moment? If you don`t know then whats your height and weight and I will work it out for ya?

Well my bmi last year was 29.3 just under. Since then I have been training pretty heavy so got medical date last tuesday and I was 15st3 and to pass medical i need to be 14st3 . So I have just cut the carbs, up the water and doing about 2 hours cardio a day seems to be working was down to 14st 10lb this morning, so if you don`t have to much to lose then get cracking.

If you have a reasonble fitness level PCA dosen`t look to bad but for someone who dosen`t exercise then it might prove challenging.

What your bmi at the moment? If you don`t know then whats your height and weight and I will work it out for ya?

A friend worked it out for me today coming in at 33.3 - reckon I would need to drop 20 pounds and to manage that in 2 weeks is , in my opinion , a few pounds too far ( dont want to pass out at the medical ).I do swimming and a lot of walking but I suspect that is not the sort of training the PCA requires ?

Yeah 10-13 pounds is where i would draw the line. So at least u know now gives you a few weeks more to prepare, the more weight u can lose between now and your pca is gonna be an advantage. Lets face it whats easier running with a set of 5kg dumbells in your hands or running with a set of 20kg dumbells? Swimming and walking is good from what i can see the pca looks all about pacing yourself don`t burn out to quick. Try and introduce some jogging to your exercise gradually walk for 5 min jog for 3mins then walk then jog. Doing this gradually is best way for increasing fitness and stamina. But seriously weight loss ain`t gonna help with medical but think of the big picture it will make your pca alot easier. If you need any advise just ask.

Yeah 10-13 pounds is where i would draw the line. So at least u know now gives you a few weeks more to prepare, the more weight u can lose between now and your pca is gonna be an advantage. Lets face it whats easier running with a set of 5kg dumbells in your hands or running with a set of 20kg dumbells? Swimming and walking is good from what i can see the pca looks all about pacing yourself don`t burn out to quick. Try and introduce some jogging to your exercise gradually walk for 5 min jog for 3mins then walk then jog. Doing this gradually is best way for increasing fitness and stamina. But seriously weight loss ain`t gonna help with medical but think of the big picture it will make your pca alot easier. If you need any advise just ask.

Thanks for the advice ( I may need more in due course ! ), a shame I did not get a months notice of the medical as some people do as I might have had a chance then.....
    The medical is a bit of hassle alright and to have to go through it knowing you'll fail it is a killer but there nothing for it now I guess.
    The PCA consists of 3 circuits in under 3 mins and 43 secs ,am I correct ?
    Are there other components to it ?
    Lets say I do the PCA and do it under 3:43 but at the end of it I sound like a steamroller and look like a raspberry , will that count against me ?
    Sorry for all the questions but this BMI /PCA thing has come as a bit of a shock :rolleyes:
    (p.s. just in case anyone thinks I'm ' jumping the gun ' I realise I could fail the Med on something other than BMI )

I only got 2 weeks notice awsell this year, girl i know got 5 weeks notice but sure. don`t think it depends on your state after just as long as its under the time, only other thing you have to do is the push/pull test which i think is straight after pca course so make sure u leave some gas in the tank for that.

Any idea how much notice is given of PCA ?

Not to sure think they give you 3 weeks to appeal once they give you the fail notice.I would say after that based on the other time aspects of this process your probably talking a month or 2 after your appeal is acknowledged. Think there is a few ppl in for C15 who where in same situation as yourself last year for C14 think russler might be one. Have a search about one of them would def be able 2 give you a realistic time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 adam2695

Hi guys, just wondering when everybody did their assessment centres? I did mine at the start of August and not heard diddly squat about a medical or vetting forms!!!

Anybody else in the same boat??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭rio2009

adam2695 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering when everybody did their assessment centres? I did mine at the start of August and not heard diddly squat about a medical or vetting forms!!!

Anybody else in the same boat

Hi Adam did my ac end of july got pass letter 2 days later and nothing since just seems a random process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Russler

Not to sure think they give you 3 weeks to appeal once they give you the fail notice.I would say after that based on the other time aspects of this process your probably talking a month or 2 after your appeal is acknowledged. Think there is a few ppl in for C15 who where in same situation as yourself last year for C14 think russler might be one. Have a search about one of them would def be able 2 give you a realistic time frame.

Morning all

You're right that I did the PCA for C14. I remember doing medical in early October 2008 and failing for BMI. I didn't have to appeal as the fail letter told me I would be automatically allowed to do the PCA. I did the PCA on 12th November (I think). I recon I probably got 1 to 2 weeks notice. I can hoke out the letter and tell you for sure if it helps:)

Advertisement