Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Misterjay

does it have to be 2cm or 2inch?

Can't remember. It's down to the scalp. Think it is min of 3 cm but from memory it says on the paperwork you will receive in advance.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

I am not sure if this has been posted somewhere before but I was just wondering what everyone wears to their medical. It only says on the forms that you should dress appropriately but this is not much help. Should I wear jeans and t-shirt, Tracksuit, suit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 VictorRolf

I am not sure if this has been posted somewhere before but I was just wondering what everyone wears to their medical. It only says on the forms that you should dress appropriately but this is not much help. Should I wear jeans and t-shirt, Tracksuit, suit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

something comfortable and not a suit. think neat casual. hope this helps ;O)

That's great. I appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 mika_

Hi, i suggest wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I had tracksuit trousers and a t-shirt and felt a bit stupid :) Everyone else had jeans on. The point is to wear something comfortable enough to do couple of squats, that's it.
    Good luck in medical and don't worry, all staff is very friendly and helpful.

By the way, got the letter this morning - passed my medical and sent vetting forms out an hour ago, so a loooong wait ahead now... :)

• Advertisement

I'm just behind you there. Do my med this week, vetting went back last week.

I'm so surpirised at how much the whole process is taking over my life. It's pretty much all I've thought about for the last two weeks (since getting med letter) so I'm looking forward to doing my medical and then settling down for the long wait. Fingers crossed!!!

Thank-you for the advice. It's appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rashe591

Hey, i'm so pleased i found this website! I only joined today :) i got a letter saying i completed my medical and have sent away my vetting forms, does anyone know how long that will take?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

rashe591 wrote: »
    Hey, i'm so pleased i found this website! I only joined today :) i got a letter saying i completed my medical and have sent away my vetting forms, does anyone know how long that will take?!

Welcome to the forum , asking how long vetting takes is similar to asking how long is a piece of string unfortunately ! I have heard of some people having vetting completed in 2 - 3 months but plenty of others who have been waiting 12 months plus.
    There does not seem to be any way you can forecast how long it will be but there are a few factors that it is believed add to the lenght of time involved , if for example you or your family members or partner have lived abroad or have had multiple addresses that will add to the amount of checking required. Similarly candidates from the Republic have their vetting done by the Garda Vetting unit and by all accounts they take at least 9 - 12 months to do it.
    In summary , vetting takes as long as it takes and you could be waiting a very long time to hear anything ( you could get lucky and be sorted quickly though ). Take comfort from the fact that there are hundreds of folks in the same boat :o
    Take some time to read the threads relating to vetting and you'll see what I mean.

Ive just done my medical and I no people have written it here before but its really easy. The staff are absolutely fantastic and there is definately no reason to be nervous about it.

How long did everyone's letter take to arrive? mine came two days after the event which I was amazed at. OHW could teach the rest of the recruitment process a lesson in being prompt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ryan72

Hello to everybody. I've been following this site for a month or so now but this is my first post. I've got my medical coming up soon but I'm a bit unsure about some of the additional info required on the MHQ. I've had a couple of injuries over the last few years that needed a few trips to the physio. Does anybody know do I need to contact the physio directly for this because my GP was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.:confused: I just don't want to get to the medical and find out that I missing something.

• Advertisement

Hi Ryan , welcome to the forum - glad to see you posted - see it didn't hurt ! :D
    In answer to your question I suppose it all depends on the nature/seriousness of the injuries you had , having said that , you could do worse than get a letter/report from the physio setting out details of the injuries , treatment and long-term outlook ( you may have to pay the physio btw ). It just means that if at the medical they want more details then you have them to hand and it avoids frustrating delays ( cos there's loads of delays in this process as it is :eek: )

Thanks delancey. My GP said not to bother contacting the physio but I think he just wanted to get me out if his office. I'll give the hospital a ring anyway. See if I can speak to someone who would have access to my treatment info. I've made a full recovery from the injuries anyway but I suppose its better just to have the proof at hand to back it up.

That would be a wise move Ryan - it just might makes things so much easier . I have heard ( I stress I have no direct experience myself ) that at the medical they look closely at back injuries so if your injuries related to that part of the anatomy then it really would be a good idea to get the info. from whatever source.

ryan72 wrote: »
    Thanks delancey. My GP said not to bother contacting the physio but I think he just wanted to get me out if his office. I'll give the hospital a ring anyway. See if I can speak to someone who would have access to my treatment info. I've made a full recovery from the injuries anyway but I suppose its better just to have the proof at hand to back it up.

Ryan72 - I have had a few sporting injuries over the years that required phsyio - knees, ankles, collar-bone etc. My GP told me not to worry about them so I didn't. I did have trouble fitting them all on the form though and included as much info as I could (didn't give them exact dates or the like - just the approx month and year).

Anyway, I got through OK. The purpose is to ascertain if you have any underlying injuries that may come back to haunt you (and their pension department).

Just put down as much info as you can. If you are open and honest and do not conceal anything you will be fine. My injuries that required physio were all well over 2 years old so they just checked my joints for flexibility and stuff as they could see I had made a full recovery.

Good luck with it.

Misterjay - I was able to contact the physio department where I was treated and they were very helpful. They're sending me out a summary of my injuries, any treatment involved and a discharge date. I dont know if I'm trying to get too much info but I just thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

ryan72 wrote: »
    Misterjay - I was able to contact the physio department where I was treated and they were very helpful. They're sending me out a summary of my injuries, any treatment involved and a discharge date. I dont know if I'm trying to get too much info but I just thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Flippin eck - you are being comprehensive. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tackletheberry

I have recently been called for a medical for c14. I have passed my vetting. At this stage, if I pass a medical does it pretty much mean I will get a call at some point or is it a 'just in case'???

I thought my application from this campaign was dead & buried but it seems not... I dont know!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Take it as a good sign! ;)
    I have recently been called for a medical for c14. I have passed my vetting. At this stage, if I pass a medical does it pretty much mean I will get a call at some point or is it a 'just in case'???

I thought my application from this campaign was dead & buried but it seems not... I dont know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 welshy1873

Thats good to hear atleast im not the only one, im in the exact same position was thinking C14 was a no hope, thought it was for C15 when i got the call. As much as im trying no to get excited, i couldnt see them giving us medicals without the chance of a stay at hotel GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

how do you know you passed your vetting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tackletheberry

I had contacted appointments months ago about the vetting, just curious to see if all was ok and they told me over the phone it was passed fine.

Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

hey, new to this and im hoping somone can help answer my question, got my vetting forms a few weeks back and sent them straight back, dont forsee a prob with it cause i have been security cleared in the past, very quickly after i recieved those forms i got word to go for a medical, im led to believe the speed of this has some sort of relevence, went for my medical and recieved word on friday that i had passed it and was medically fit for position!

Now i just dont know what to expect next, some people have been saying that once they do the medical and drugs test ur pretty much in, as long as u pass them but none of these people are in the service themselves so not taking it as scripture, just hoping somone on here could shed some light on the situation!

Cheers!

Jonny

jonnym61 wrote: »
    hey, new to this and im hoping somone can help answer my question, got my vetting forms a few weeks back and sent them straight back, dont forsee a prob with it cause i have been security cleared in the past, very quickly after i recieved those forms i got word to go for a medical, im led to believe the speed of this has some sort of relevence, went for my medical and recieved word on friday that i had passed it and was medically fit for position!

Now i just dont know what to expect next, some people have been saying that once they do the medical and drugs test ur pretty much in, as long as u pass them but none of these people are in the service themselves so not taking it as scripture, just hoping somone on here could shed some light on the situation!

Cheers!

Jonny

You need to call External Appointments and find out your merit score. That will give you a good idea how you are ranked against other potential candidates. Then have a scan through some other posts on this forum and that will give you an idea of what happens (or does not happen) next. ;)

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

Misterjay wrote: »
    You need to call External Appointments and find out your merit score. That will give you a good idea how you are ranked against other potential candidates. Then have a scan through some other posts on this forum and that will give you an idea of what happens (or does not happen) next. ;)

Good luck with it.

So i am assuming by what ur saying that the people who have said ur only gonna get ur medical and drugs test if they are gonna offer u a position are wrong??

jonnym61 wrote: »
    So i am assuming by what ur saying that the people who have said ur only gonna get ur medical and drugs test if they are gonna offer u a position are wrong??

You really need to get your merit list placing to allow you to assess if you are high enough up the list to be likely to be offered a vacancy. Also bear in mind your religious background may also affect when, and if, you get in.

There are plenty of people on this forum who have completed the medical and vetting months ago and still not heard anything. Welcome to the queue. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 groovetothebeat

got my medical forms yesterday but i only sent away my vetting forms maybe at most a month ago.

does this mean i passed vetting?
    just would like to know as i was abit worried about a conviction i had, although i wrote all about it on the vetting forms.

got my medical forms yesterday but i only sent away my vetting forms maybe at most a month ago.

does this mean i passed vetting?
    just would like to know as i was abit worried about a conviction i had, although i wrote all about it on the vetting forms.

Given that it has been no more than a month since you submitted vetting forms it is unlikely you have cleared it so fast - probably not what you wanted to hear I know . You were absolutely correct to put down your conviction and it could be speculated that the fact you have not heard anything is a good sign - perhaps all vetting forms are checked before the vetting process starts and if your conviction was for something serious (e.g. sexual assault ) then you would have heard by now to the effect your application would not be progressed - like I said that though is speculation . As someone posted recently : when it comes to vetting no news is good news !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 groovetothebeat

got my medical on wed.

what does everyone wear?
    suit & tie or is casual shirt & jeans ok??

got my medical on wed.

what does everyone wear?
    suit & tie or is casual shirt & jeans ok??

i wore smart jeans and a jumper (smart casual) and there was one guy there wearing a tracksuit. I also know of some people from the forum who have worn suits so im not sure it really matters which is why they dont set a dress code. Just make sure you are comfortable in what you wear and that it allows you enough flexibility to do some squats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

i wore trousers shirt and tie no suit jacket. People were really friendly have to say.

Advertisement