Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Has anyone been told they were on this priority list yet? Have just heard loads of talk about it, but don't think anyone has been told their on this list though:confused:

I was told I wasn't on the medical priority list. But I don't know if it's one big list or a different one for vetting and one for medical because when I phoned OHW to see if I was in line to get a medical the girl said let me check, we got two lists of people through the other week. So in my head OHW are being given small lists of x amount of people to work through at a time. 400 for vetting sounds like one massive list. It's as if they have said here's the top 400, go to work and get them all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

1986j wrote: »
    I read on this board before that someone got a medical date, then the very next day after sitting the medical they got the call. Maybe this is indicative taht there will be a November intake?

i dont think the short notice really has anything to do with a quick succession of intakes, 2 campaigns ago i got a medical date with 5 days notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

hi anybody here able to shed some light on the eyesight test for me..... I wear contact lenses, have spoke with my opticion who said that i DO NOT MEET the criterea I showed her from the medical paperwork for UNASSISTED BINOCULAR VISION. Anybody know how in depth they test unassisted vision if you are a lens/glasses wearer, any help offer gratefully appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

Mouser,
    Its the standard test i think. Stand in front of the poster and read the letter with the right eye and then another with the left and then another with both eyes. It has to be unassisted to my knowledge. But they do allow for vision corrected by laser surgery but there are some restrictions on that too. Hope that helps Mouser. Good luck to you my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

mouser1 wrote: »
    hi anybody here able to shed some light on the eyesight test for me..... I wear contact lenses, have spoke with my opticion who said that i DO NOT MEET the criterea I showed her from the medical paperwork for UNASSISTED BINOCULAR VISION. Anybody know how in depth they test unassisted vision if you are a lens/glasses wearer, any help offer gratefully appreciated

It is just the top 2 lines on the chart from about 10 feet away. How bad is your eyesight unaided?

You then do a colour blindness test and also have to read aided and unaided from a book of varying sized text.

I wear glasses all the time excpet when doing the door I wear contacts. Best of luck and more questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Apparently 90% of the people who suffer Colour Blindness are male so the ' gals ' here have little to fear on that score. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

1986j wrote: »
    It is just the top 2 lines on the chart from about 10 feet away. How bad is your eyesight unaided?

i don't wear glasses, nurse made me read the whole lot, got stuck on the very last letter of the bottom line, she asked me to try again, thought, hang on here for a second, is it really this level of sight thats required!
    past the med like, anybody else have to go that for down the lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

i don't wear glasses, nurse made me read the whole lot, got stuck on the very last letter of the bottom line, she asked me to try again, thought, hang on here for a second, is it really this level of sight thats required!
    past the med like, anybody else have to go that for down the lines?

the top two lines bit is just for unaided requirement for users of specs/contacts. you must have corrected/natural vision at a much higher level.

on another note, i had my medical and got the result..... looks like i need to start the appeals process. got through it all with flying colours but seem to have raised concerns due to a past ailment.:( we'll see what happens, just cant let the chance go.....

SJAG wrote: »
    the top two lines bit is just for unaided requirement for users of specs/contacts. you must have corrected/natural vision at a much higher level.

on another note, i had my medical and got the result..... looks like i need to start the appeals process. got through it all with flying colours but seem to have raised concerns due to a past ailment.:( we'll see what happens, just cant let the chance go.....

Sorry to hear that SJAG however this is not all that unusual.

Don't waste time - start drawing together the additional information OHW require and be sure to inform then in writing that you are appealing.

It's important to remember that the onus is on you to get the information.
    OHW will not write to any Dr's for reports , schedule any tests , etc - it is all up to you.

I recommend that all correspondence you send them be via registered mail.

Loads of people sucessfully appeal medical fails so keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

delancey42 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that SJAG however this is not all that unusual.

Don't waste time - start drawing together the additional information OHW require and be sure to inform then in writing that you are appealing.

It's important to remember that the onus is on you to get the information.
    OHW will not write to any Dr's for reports , schedule any tests , etc - it is all up to you.

I recommend that all correspondence you send them be via registered mail.

Loads of people sucessfully appeal medical fails so keep at it.

I am going to persist, it isn't something which is going to prohibit me doing the job in any way. I will be sending a letter recorded first thing Monday and will follow your advice on all correspondence being registered mail. I've been this far in before and insisted that i wouldn't get upset at not passing any stage but now i have got to this stage with a decent merit score it really hurts to have been dealt this blow.

I know in detail what typical days are as an officer and also what the more challenging days can be like, i know that the problem which has led to this point will cause me no problems, even if it was to return with a vengeance.

I'll keep the chin up til all avenues fail........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Hello sorry to hear bout the medical. Without stepping on toes here be wary of the recorded mail. I sent my letter confirming that I would attend the medical via recorded mail and assumed that it would definatly get there. It didnt because it arrived back through my letter box over two months since I posted it and all the while royal mail didnt bother to let me know that it hadnt been delivered. if your going to use it I would suggest phoning OHW and making sure your self that they received it. good luck.

You can always check via the tracking code if the item has been delivered.
    Pretty poor show by Royal Mail and one that warrants a complaint in my opinion.
    Good advice though , check , double-check and triple-check , etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

hey guys, done my medical on wednesday, got my fail letter this morning, " I am unfit for the position of police constable/patrol officer, due to my colour vision" so nicely put lol

no point appealing that one, can correct a genetic thing inside 14 days :(

so good luck to you all, hopefully you all get in :)

Malek

Sorry to hear your news Mal , thanks for letting us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

Take Care Malek.
    Good luck with everything in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 newboarder

Hey guys,

I've got my medical in a few weeks time and have a few questions if anyone could answer for me.

My eye sight isnt the greatest, i wear glasses for driving and if im using a computer.
    What does the eyesight part of the medical involve? Im freaking myself out abit over it!

Also do you need to remove your top during the medical ?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Hello, the eyesight test is easy enough, you will stand roughly 2.5m from one of those eye charts and be asked to read it with both eyes then each eye by itself. Not sure what way they do it if you wear glasses so maybe someone else can inform you of that.

The real killers are the hearing test and the part when you have to blow for an age into some sort of meter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

gigity, when you mentioned about blowing in some form of meter, i assume this is the lung capacity test? I don't suppose you or anyone else would know how it is determined if a candidate passes or fails this test?

I'm a little worried as ive had asthma from birth, it's more or less dissappeared in recent years but it worsens at this time of year every year due to cold weather and it affects my lung capacity :/

To answer a few questions - Yes , not only do you have to take your top off you also have to strip down to your underwear if you are male ( I suspect the same applies to female - perhaps one of the ladies could confirm ? )

Eye test consists of reading the Alphabet chart - left eye only , then right eye only and then both eyes together.
    After that you sit at a desk with a book open with 3 passages of different type size , looks a bit like this -

John and Clare were walking..............

John and Clare were walking..............

John and Clare were walking...............

The object of the test is to try and read the passage with the smallest type you possibly can , the actual passages are turgid bits of philosophy so no point memorising the above ;)

Then the colour blindness test and apart from the Dr. taking a quick look at your eyes thats the eye check part over with.
    If you wear glasses/lenses be sure to bring them as OHW will want to see/check them.

Lung Function test is not the most pleasant in that you are required to go against your instinct and empty your lungs completely into the tube , the volume of breath exhaled is measured electronically and a readout comes from a computer on a desk nearby.
    As I understand the pass threshold is not that difficult and unless you were minus a lung or had some other serious issue ( even asthma ) then you should be able to pass O.K.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

delancey42 wrote: »
    To answer a few questions - Yes , not only do you have to take your top off you also have to strip down to your underwear if you are male ( I suspect the same applies to female - perhaps one of the ladies could confirm ? )

Yeah, we must strip to our underwear too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

Just to put your mind at ease, Clothing stays on for majority of the Medical.

Firstly you will provide a urine sample and then the nurse will do your sight, lung & hearing test.

Then you see the Doctor. When you go into the doctor he looks over your Medical questionnaire, clarifies any points, gets you to do balance/resistance tests & a few stretches, this is done fully clothed, then the doctor asks you to nip behind a curtain, De-robe,(For the ladies the Bra and panties stay on, a nurse is present in the room) you then lie on the bed and are given a blanket to pop over you, the doctor then opens curtain and will check your abdomen, neck, Back, joints on legs. really its not at all invasive so don't be at all worried.

Your then brought for your new hair do with the drug testing guy, (ladies be prepared he does take a good quantity of hair, it is taken from close to the root and its taken from the crown of the head .... you also have to watch a DVD about the role of an officer at this stage also.

Best of luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 minerdees

Just called OHW. Confirmed my appeal was successful and told me to ring appointments about a date. All they would tell me is that my vetting is cleared and they have no idea when they will be making calls for C16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

minerdees wrote: »
    Just called OHW. Confirmed my appeal was successful and told me to ring appointments about a date. All they would tell me is that my vetting is cleared and they have no idea when they will be making calls for C16.

Hey congratulations minerdees, must be weight off your mind! Well come pull up a stool and re join the waiting game. You never know it could be like busses...........nothing and then 3 (intakes) will come along at once. Thats just wishful thinking though! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Saphar

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long it takes to get result of medical. Mine was in September and I have heard nothing. Is there any way to contact the department to enquire? Thanks. S:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 waiting28

Hi guys got medical date today and its for next week, cant believe its that quick ,very nervous now .Bit wary of one or two questions on the form.

Saphar wrote: »
    Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long it takes to get result of medical. Mine was in September and I have heard nothing. Is there any way to contact the department to enquire? Thanks. S:

I'll PM you the OHW phone number - most people hear back in a week or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

minerdees wrote: »
    That is great news. Well done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

.... you also have to watch a DVD about the role of an officer at this stage also.

Best of luck to all

anyone else not get this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

B182 wrote: »
    anyone else not get this ?

I didn't get the video either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I got to watch the video but the staff their on the day of my medical were not really pushed if you saw it or not, some people only watched about half of it I think

Advertisement