Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - The Waiting Room

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

this is very worrying, to get knocked back at this stage will be heart breaking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cpn

carlty888 wrote: »
    I called external appointments today. The girl confirmed that the calls for the next intake will be going out over the next week or two.

Let the nail biting commence!

Will that be c13 or c14 or a mixture of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

cpn wrote: »
    Will that be c13 or c14 or a mixture of both?

I'd hazard a guess and say this would be classed as the first "full" intake for C14.

I'd hazard a guess and say this would be classed as the first "full" intake for C14.

How many do they normally take each time? Or does it vary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

cpn wrote: »
    How many do they normally take each time? Or does it vary?

It does vary mate, though only by a few each time. My course on the 16th has 54 students (3 classes of 18).

• Advertisement

JVB wrote: »
    It does vary mate, though only by a few each time. My course on the 16th has 54 students (3 classes of 18).

Thats quite a small number. How far in advance of your start date did you get 'the call'?

Oh I actually deferred from March this year due to my employment at that time. Most get approx 5 weeks notice although some people only get a couple of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hi this some more info in what was in he letter i recieved that no one else seems to have got lol

you have been informed by consensia that you have passed all aspects of selection, you also satisfied the vetting requirements and entered the qualifying pool.
    in your particular case the chief constable is not in a position to determine whether an offer can be made to you or not. this is based on the fact that number of appointments from the qualifying pool is unknown at this time.
    notify us of any change in circumstaces etc.
    i fully understand your disappointment at not knowing the outcome of your application, but hopefully we will be in a position to advise you further by september 2009

Hi

I too got that letter back in 2003, only to be told about 6 mths later bye bye. In saying that though, my mate got the same letter, at the same time, and a mth later he got the welcome aboard. He was from non RC background and I am from RC background !!.......as soon as he got the welcome aboard letter , I was like ' ahh well I'm definately getting in' but sadly I didn't. God knows how these things get worked out!

So you could possibly hear sooner rather than later.

Hope that info sheds some light on the matter.

Alpha bravo 70 out

O and Hi JVB......see ya in couple of weeks dude.

O and Hi JVB......see ya in couple of weeks dude.

Hi mate. Thanks for the text on Mon there ;) SRN was good, it's great to finally get started. Make sure your notes are ready for me to crib lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

Does anyone know what way the intakes work? Do they compile to merit lists Catholic and Non Catholic and take half and half of each, or is it just the top in the merit list get taken in first regardless of religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

bobbin88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what way the intakes work? Do they compile to merit lists Catholic and Non Catholic and take half and half of each, or is it just the top in the merit list get taken in first regardless of religion?

I'm pretty sure it's 50:50 for each intake. I can't back that up, so if I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

No I don't think you are wrong.

I believe they split the group into RC and non-RC and take the same number from each to make up their total intake.

So if only 200 RC apply they all get in regardless of Merit placing. Which is moot since I guess a lot more than 200 applied out of 10000 applicants.

Anyway, yeah 50:50 split after they've ordered into merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Oursole

Has anyone heard anymore about the recruitment freeze?

I was told today that they are continuing to recruit up until christmas and then they are stoping. I really hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Oursole wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anymore about the recruitment freeze?

I was told today that they are continuing to recruit up until christmas and then they are stoping. I really hope not.

There is more mis-information out there than there is information.
    A board member has contacted Recruitment and has been told that C14 is unaffected.
    Another board member has contacted External Appointments and been told that the next campaign is going ahead as normal.

We will all just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Oursole

There is more mis-information out there than there is information.
    A board member has contacted Recruitment and has been told that C14 is unaffected.
    Another board member has contacted External Appointments and been told that the next campaign is going ahead as normal.

We will all just have to wait and see.

Apparently this was only decided at a meeting yesterday. C15 is def not going ahead and they are not sure about C14, they will recruit up to xmas to see how they stand. I hope im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

Apparently this was only decided at a meeting yesterday. C15 is def not going ahead and they are not sure about C14, they will recruit up to xmas to see how they stand. I hope im wrong.

Just got told that future of C14 is unknown......gutted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

lolli-j wrote: »
    Just got told that future of C14 is unknown......gutted :(

Who told you that?

Who did you get told by?

Who did you get told by?

A rather peeved off person in appointments....i caved and called to ask

What did they say? :confused:

• Advertisement

Have External Appointments had more info since I called......OH CRAP!!

I doubt they'll only recruit to Christmas and then cancel the rest of the campaign though. There may be a stall on new intakes, but I imagine that they'll finish recruiting off the merit list they've spent so much time, money and effort compiling.

C15 will definately go ahead. It's just a matter of when though. Let's face it. The PSNI will need new recruits at some point.

basically they don't know....thats what they told me. Kind've wish i hadn't called. Hope someone hear's different news!!

Have External Appointments had more info since I called......CRAP!!

I doubt they'll only recruit to Christmas and then cancel the rest of the campaign though. There may be a stall on new intakes, but I imagine that they'll finish recruiting off the merit list they've spent so much time, money and effort compiling.

C15 will definately go ahead. It's just a matter of when though. Let's face it. The PSNI will need new recruits at some point.

I hope you are right :(

I hope you are right :(

I'm fairly confident.

It makes no sense to spend so much time, effort and money on a campaign and only recruit about 70 people off it (roughly 50 in December's intake and at a guess 20 in November's intake).

Oh pleasee be right Carlty, it would break my heart if we came this far!
    Realistically though, what would they do?
    They couldn't just disregard everyone they have already paid for to have vetting, medicals etc, and then just start a new campaign willy nilly when they have more money available?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

I feel sick at the thought :(

Oh pleasee be right Carlty, it would break my heart if we came this far!
    Realistically though, what would they do?
    They couldn't just disregard everyone they have already paid for to have vetting, medicals etc, and then just start a new campaign willy nilly when they have more money available?!

Potential cutbacks are due to a shortage of money. Can you imagine the abuse the PSNI would get in the press if they also wasted money they had spent compiling a perfectly good merit list (I would say that, wouldn't I? :D).

I'm fairly confident.

It makes no sense to spend so much time, effort and money on a campaign and only recruit about 70 people off it (roughly 50 in December's intake and at a guess 20 in November's intake).

It does make no sense i totally agree with that...but now i'm confused as to why they said that when i called.

Pathetic but i swear i literally nearly cried

It does make no sense i totally agree with that...but now i'm confused as to why they said that when i called.

Pathetic but i swear i literally nearly cried

Until such times as Recruitment get a definitive answer, C14 will be undecided. At the minute the policing board haven't annouced what they plan to do.
    • They could decide to pause C14 and pick up where they left off after a number of months.
    • They could cancel C14 altogether (I've already voiced my doubts on this one)
    • They could continue with reduced intakes. One intake every two months, or smaller numbers of recruits on a monthly intake.
    • C14 could possibly even continue as originally planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

I made the call as well...Told similar we don't know if c14 will continue or be put on hold was the response I got!

Advertisement