Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeep Cherokee

• 14-06-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Have been offered Jeep Cherokee, 2.5 T.D. for €3,500. Don't know year or mileage yet. It was a rushed conversation.
    Any views and opinions appreciated.
    I've been googling on net and have heard how great they are and how useless they are.
    I would be using it for work; driving in fields with a heavy load. Little on road use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I generally stay away from the American selection of GM built cars... there ok... slight electrical problems with there radios and the axles can wear quickly also have heard of weak head gaskets.... luck of the draw imo...

not a bad or great purchase... could do better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ball o' Muck...........

i worked in a dealership of them once...........dreadful vehicles. Everything goes wrong.

Everything!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Have been offered Jeep Cherokee, 2.5 T.D. for €3,500. Don't know year or mileage yet. It was a rushed conversation.
    Any views and opinions appreciated.
    I've been googling on net and have heard how great they are and how useless they are.
    I would be using it for work; driving in fields with a heavy load. Little on road use.

Run like hell! I 've had 2 of the newer models (the curvey model) a commercial and a pasenger the garage replaced the commercial with the passenger because it was causing so many problems it was still under warranty.I had the passenger for 2 years replaced drive shafts (low range) rear diff, fly wheel in the gearbox , air condition unit and mirrors (they kept tripping out central locking) all the this with less the 30k on the clock, other than that ok for normal off road work comfortable enough to drive , but cost of parts is crazy. Don't do it, not worth the headache

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

the square shape one is good,good on fuel,can get parts in motor factors,the curvy one cost more asyou cant get parts in motor factors,i have curvy one,has 124 miles on it with no trouble,worst thing i had to replace was water pump which i had to get from stealership,as parts cost as everything bloody special order,so i get a friend to send from stealership in uk which saves me 35% in price compared to here,if you have a 4x4,its going to cost,doent matter what brand,a friend bought one of new navera last year and had square cherokee before that,he says the cherokee was better in everyway compared to nissan navera twin cab and changing back to cherokee next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for the input guys. I've researched the Cherokee on-line. Some love it and some hate it. But most comments are negative. I'm allowing for the fact thta people are motre likely to go to the trouble to complain than to praise.

I'm leaning towards a Landrover Defender. Very few owners moan about them. It's a working vehicle I'm afetr, not a pose machine. Will use car for regular family journeys.

How many 4x4s have their own magazines, shows and get togethers in U.K., and Web blogs. Don't meet too many people getting passionate about their Japanese 4x4s.

• Advertisement

you get what suits you,only thing abot defender is hard to sell after wards,but with all new stuff comming out in july,wont matter,anything pre july will be hit in value,i have commerical cherokee and has alot of space which i need ,looked at alot inculding defenders,crusiers,etc,when with kj because of lower on fuel mpg and space and comfort
    as i said ,everyone has different tastes and what also suits them
    i checked alot of reviews and forums in 4x44s before i bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

S.I.R wrote: »
    I generally stay away from the American selection of GM built cars

GM don't make the Cherokee, Chrysler do.

I heard that the diesel Cherokee is fairly rough to drive (it uses a Renault diesel engine AFAIK, so that would explain alot...), although the 4.0L petrol model is apparently better, although it would be a bit heavier on fuel obviously.

its good ,pajero rougher, a friend who has a pajero,drove mine and found it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got a 4 litre US ex US mail service Cherokee. Have to say ,if you can get the parts issues sorted out with a dealership in the US and the weak Dollar.It is the BEST 4X4 I have driven in a long time here.
    The Diesel model is underpowerd all right and over priced at 3.5 K 2nd hand.
    Having driven Land and Range Rover here,since the 80s. A seris 2aSWB,Seris 3 lwb, Range Rover model 1974 diesel conversion a 110 Defender Commerical diesel,1988 Range Rover Vouge] I would say to anyone considering them;RUN AWAY VERY QUICKLY.They have to be the WORST vechicles ever put on the road or off road.The earlier mods were sturdy enough,but underpowerd.The modern ones are underpowerd and made of paper and plastic.I really dont know how LR rever got this hot reputation.Anything Japanese will out live out gun and outdrive a Land Rover product.After sales in Ireland is abymsal.
    Plus with Landrover being sold to TATA in India from Ford.It wont bode well for them either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got a 4 litre US ex US mail service Cherokee. Have to say ,if you can get the parts issues sorted out with a dealership in the US and the weak Dollar.It is the BEST 4X4 I have driven in a long time here.
    The Diesel model is underpowerd all right and over priced at 3.5 K 2nd hand.
    Having driven Land and Range Rover here,since the 80s. A seris 2aSWB,Seris 3 lwb, Range Rover model 1974 diesel conversion a 110 Defender Commerical diesel,1988 Range Rover Vouge] I would say to anyone considering them;RUN AWAY VERY QUICKLY.They have to be the WORST vechicles ever put on the road or off road.The earlier mods were sturdy enough,but underpowerd.The modern ones are underpowerd and made of paper and plastic.I really dont know how LR rever got this hot reputation.Anything Japanese will out live out gun and outdrive a Land Rover product.After sales in Ireland is abymsal.
    Plus with Landrover being sold to TATA in India from Ford.It wont bode well for them either.

Thanks for input Grizzly. It would be great if I could find a web site that does objective reviews of Cherokee, Landrover Defenders and Hilux. Alas, most people giving advice and suggestions are influenced my their own very limited experience.
    I have seen in local paper a Jeep Cherokee 1997, 4.0 for 2,500 euro. If they are so good them why so cheap. The guy (mechanic) who offered to sell me jeep told me they do give trouble including head gasket blowing.

My current research suggests that the Landrover defender 110 TD 200. is probably the best for my needs. It may not suit others with different requirements. Again, I got to wonder why Landrover owners are so passionate about their vehicles (Web sites, forums, magazines). You don't see that happening with Japanese 4x4 owners.

• Advertisement

down to your experiences with 4x4,its alittle unfair comment from to say LIMITED experiences or what ever,dont think thats comment called for,
    i have driven 4x4 here and in states and in europe,every one experiences is different and also alittle luck with 4x4 you have
    for me ,i wouldnt buy a defender from my knowlege and friends who are mechinics,but as they say,each there own,only down side with jeep is price of parts and the fact you have to get almost everything for jeep in dealer,but if your clever,you can get parts shipped cheaper from states or canada or germany
    if i didnt have jeep ,would go pajero but they heavy on juice
    they say if you own a defender ,you will own a defender,in other words ,be hard to get rid of,but the way things are going after july with all the new stuff,all pre july08 will be hard to sell
    so boils down to your taste and what you like to drive and of course your pocket
    so best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Not hugely qualified to give advice on this, but i rented a Grand Cherokee for a week in the States (would have been a '06 model) and thought it was awful muck.

Poor quality interior. Engine was unrefined. There seemed to be a metal plate embedded in the back cusion of the rear seat that was just where a toddlers head would be if not in a child seat. Whiplash? Say goodbye to the back of your skull!

Looked nice 'n all, but i wouldn't buy one if it was the last SUV on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I havent done a hell of a lot with Jeep but i do know a starter on one of them took a full day due to a brutal engine bay design and electrics on them are supposed to be terrible.
    Do a lot of DOE on ESB Landrovers and the guy that does the work on them has his heart broken fixing them.
    I am sure that for off roading the Defender is really hard to beat but they are a nightmare to work on, steering parts wear out like candyfloss in the sea and I reckon they were designed by an arab shiek, as they leak enough oil to keep kuwait busy.. full time!

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Not hugely qualified to give advice on this, but i rented a Grand Cherokee for a week in the States (would have been a '06 model) and thought it was awful muck.

Poor quality interior. Engine was unrefined. There seemed to be a metal plate embedded in the back cusion of the rear seat that was just where a toddlers head would be if not in a child seat. Whiplash? Say goodbye to the back of your skull!

Looked nice 'n all, but i wouldn't buy one if it was the last SUV on the market
    dont like grand cherokee myself,the cherokee way better and also cheaper

any 4x4 theses days are pain to work on,specialy the newer ones

Decisions, decisions??? maybe I'll just buy a tractor.:o
    At this stage I'll just wait to see what type of bargain comes my way. I'm only getting more confused.
    It's a toss up between a defender 110 200TDi, a Cherokee (after reading above, and a Hilux. Havn't had any negative comments here on Toyota Hilux (yet).

toyotas hilux is good also,buy you'll pay for it in price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

I loved my Cherokee...
    ... til a fuppin piston went south less one month after purchase... and garage won't sort this the easy way... so have to sort my way...

So I say, Cherokees (sp) are very comfy... while the engine dies...

:rolleyes:

However... have heard of an Isuzu commercial 3.0 going for 6k, private sale, 2002, just over 100k milage. Was bought by current owner from the garage there in Monasterevin...

Your thoughts?

LoopyBum wrote: »
    However... have heard of an Isuzu commercial 3.0 going for 6k, private sale, 2002, just over 100k milage. Was bought by current owner from the garage there in Monasterevin...

Your thoughts?
    RUN. A. MILE!
    I have spent years workin on these heaps and even if i could get the parts for nothing i still wouldn't buy one

slideways wrote: »
    RUN. A. MILE!
    I have spent years workin on these heaps and even if i could get the parts for nothing i still wouldn't buy one

to everyone there own :)

• Advertisement

to everyone there own :)
    Everthing apart from the engine on these things is near bulletproof..
    Diffs, 'boxes suspension parts etc.
    Its rare to even change anti roll bar bushes in them.
    But the engine is an absolute nightmare.
    They fill the sump with diesel
    They fill the radiator with diesel
    The turbos fcuk up
    The oil pick up pipes fall off the block and into the sump
    The oil pumps wear the aluminum housing they sit in (there is 2 of them)
    The injectors fcuk up and they start hunting
    Heater plugs die and when you go to take them out they ring in the head
    EGR clogs the whole inlet manifold in crap
    Go cheap on the oil and they actaully wont start when cold

Bored yet.. i can go on

Oh BTW they can be got a lot cheaper than that one mentioned above

slideways wrote: »
    Everthing apart from the engine on these things is near bulletproof..
    Diffs, 'boxes suspension parts etc.
    Its rare to even change anti roll bar bushes in them.
    But the engine is an absolute nightmare.
    They fill the sump with diesel
    They fill the radiator with diesel
    The turbos fcuk up
    The oil pick up pipes fall off the block and into the sump
    The oil pumps wear the aluminum housing they sit in (there is 2 of them)
    The injectors fcuk up and they start hunting
    Heater plugs die and when you go to take them out they ring in the head
    EGR clogs the whole inlet manifold in crap
    Go cheap on the oil and they actaully wont start when cold

Bored yet.. i can go on

Oh BTW they can be got a lot cheaper than that one mentioned above

i know about them,are you talking about square cherokee,,my grip is not with cherokee but the stealership as they crap,and i own the curvy one and not square i knew the isssues with square one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

Thanks for that!

Coulda been Nightmare On FourBeFour Street Part Deux so!

;)

i know about them,are you talking about square cherokee,,my grip is not with cherokee but the stealership as they crap,and i own the curvy one and not square i knew the isssues with square one,
    No i was on about the trooper for loopys benefit.. sorry kinda o/t

was told several time to stay away from 3.0 trooper as was crap,if you where getting one,get the 3.1,told they not good either,you can get them cheap which not a good sign

was told several time to stay away from 3.0 trooper as was crap,if you where getting one,get the 3.1,told they not good either,you can get them cheap which not a good sign
    They are getting old now, that really is the prob.

Rear chassis can rot on them, but only on the really abused/uncared for ones.
    Slightly underpowered(99bhp iirc) compared to the 3.0 (165bhp?)
    If I wanted a workhorse jeep they would be the one i'd go for.
    My mate has a 95 jap one, full passeneger that could be taken off hs hands for 5k or maybe even less. commercialy taxed and tested too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

hmm...
    We have one,"The Heep", a '96 2.5TD VM Diesel Sport, its a good laugh.
    The heads (there are 4) do go if you don't keep an eye on your coolant. It does need some maintenance to keep it on the road, all of the above issues re the engine are true, so various tubes + pipes need to be cleaned once a year, all threads given copper grease and oil changed every 3k-5k miles.
    They are easy to work on though, I managed to change the head gasket, push rods + lifters recently on my drive (and I'm def not a mechanic!).
    Hoot to drive, pretty impressive offroad, great power when the turbo spools, great on diesel, can't complain.. (just whizzed through the NCT on Thurs too.. )
    DSC01252.JPG
    Steve

looks nice clean set of wheels,heard they good on fuel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just buy a Toyota.

simple solution to all the problems, the only question should be Hilux or LandCruiser.

Toyota is the vehicle of choice worldwide when the going gets tough, from the Deserts of the middle East to the Plains of Africa to the Jungles in South America no self respectin Geurilla organisation would choose to drive anything else.

• Advertisement

only cost more to run,other than that ,they good

Advertisement