Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from boards forum because I spoke Irish!

Options
  • 14-06-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I was leaving a reply on this page the other day:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309867&page=7

As you can see I naturaly replied in this country's first language.
    Do you think the ban was fair.What would Michael Collins or Patric Pearse think of this action?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

They'd probably think you should take it to feedback tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

GA361 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309867&page=7

Do you think the ban was fair.What would Michael Collins or Patric Pearse think of this action?

There was no d'internet when Michael Collins was alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I must admit that Irish Skeptics was not the first forum that I thought the OP would be posting in. Why is it in this forum?

You were not banned for posting in Irish, if you were you would have been banned immediately after posting in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Gordon wrote: »
    I must admit that Irish Skeptics was not the first forum that I thought the OP would be posting in. Why is it in this forum?

You were not banned for posting in Irish, if you were you would have been banned immediately after posting in Irish.
    If I wasnt banned for speaking Irish,tell me what i was banned for?

If I wasnt banned for speaking Irish,tell me what i was banned for?
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    GA361 banned for off topic posting and questioning a mod action in the forum.

You may need to log out to read this on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

no harm but thats really bad actually:( if it had of been russian or polish would that person get banned??!:confused: just a harmless point:D

Gordon wrote: »
    You may need to log out to read this on the thread.

If you recall my replies were completeley on topic.
    It was a moderator who brought the conversation off topic by critiscing my native tongue,wouldn't you agree?

no harm but thats really bad actually:( if it had of been russian or polish would that person get banned??!:confused: just a harmless point:D

Thanks very much for your understanding.Clearly you approached this situation with common sense and logic.

No of course not, because GA361 wasn't banned for speaking in Irish, why would someone else get banned for speaking in Russian?
    It was a moderator who brought the conversation off topic by critiscing my native tongue,wouldn't you agree?
    No I wouldn't. And I have no idea if your Irish language reply was on topic or not. But that is besides the point.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5309867&page=7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Tbh Pearse was a wanker and you seem like a bit of one too... So I stand by the mods on this one. Also, take it to feedback ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thaedydals reply says you were banned for posting off topic and questioning a mod action in the forum. I don't see anything regarding your posting in Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's a forum for irish speaking types, we don't take kindly to your sort 'round these parts.

As I said to you earlier: You were not banned for posting in Irish, if you were you would have been banned immediately after posting in Irish. You were not banned for posting in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ta se uafasach.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lets be clear. You were warned for posting in a language that contrary to your opinion, a goodly proportion, if not most posters, would not understand, or would not understand enough to form an opinion on said post. Indeed "an pharanoid" was damn near all I understood of the post and you helpfully translated that. The following poster proves my point for me, as she took you up wrong and then you had to translate further. Enough said. If you had provided a translation then fine. Knock yourself out.

You were then banned for going wildly off topic and questioning a mod action, outside of feedback. This continues even here when it would be best taken to aforementioned feedback.

FYI "extracting the urine" is a nicer way of saying "taking the piss". It does not associate the subject with urine.

It just happened Thaed banned you. I would have banned you if I'd seen it first as your response and your further witterings here just reinforce the idea that you're shít stirring for the sake of it, just to prove whatever axe you have to grind. It has sweet fanny adams to do with helping the OP in PI that's for sure.

In any case take it to feedback.

PS La0Fruitcake yes I would have warned someone who posted in Polish, which arguably has more fluent speakers than Irish in some quarters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

there's a forum for irish speaking types, we don't take kindly to your sort 'round these parts.

'calm down skeeter, he ain't hurtin nobody

How dare you say something like that about one of Ireland's great patriots.You may live in a country which has lost all sense of nationalism,but I live in a very proud Nationalist Country.

Please refrain from using such foul language.

This was a reply to passive's statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember pointing out that somebody was replying in an arabic script before and I was told there was no problem with it, as someone would understand it. apparently doesnt apply to the irish language.

Bambi wrote: »
    I remember pointing out that somebody was replying in an arabic script before and I was told there was no problem with it, as someone would understand it. apparently doesnt apply to the irish language.
    In Personal Issues? Really? Please provide a link and I'll personally look into it, thanks.

Unless you are talking about usernames being in Arabic as per this thread which of course has nothing to do with this thread.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Lets be clear. You were warned for posting in a language that contrary to your opinion, a goodly proportion, if not most posters, would not understand, or would not understand enough to form an opinion on said post. Indeed "an pharanoid" was damn near all I understood of the post and you helpfully translated that. The following poster proves my point for me, as she took you up wrong and then you had to translate further. Enough said. If you had provided a translation then fine. Knock yourself out.

You were then banned for going wildly off topic and questioning a mod action, outside of feedback. This continues even here when it would be best taken to aforementioned feedback.

FYI "extracting the urine" is a nicer way of saying "taking the piss". It does not associate the subject with urine.

It just happened Thaed banned you. I would have banned you if I'd seen it first as your response and your further witterings here just reinforce the idea that you're shít stirring for the sake of it, just to prove whatever axe you have to grind. It has sweet fanny adams to do with helping the OP in PI that's for sure.

In any case take it to feedback.

PS La0Fruitcake yes I would have warned someone who posted in Polish, which arguably has more fluent speakers than Irish in some quarters.

Whether you believe I was trying to help the OP or not is irrelevent.The fact of the matter is,the point that I made was completely on-topic constructive critiscism.The fact that I naturally expressed my opinion in this country's first language is my own business and should not be questioned by anyone,including mods.You were the one who brought the conversation off-topic,not me,dont forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The problem is that the OP chose to act the moron on PI. PI is a forum for giving advice to the thread starter. They posted exclusively in English and as such deserved at a minimum a response with a perfect English translation too. Regardless of the validity of the content it was well out of line. TBH I wouldn't want to see people excluded in this way elsewhere either.

If you want to fight a battle about the Irish language do it in a useful fashion rather than leave people with the opinion that you are a zealot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Who could tell save a fluent Irish speaker? The poster immediately following seemed to reckon she knew enough Irish to make a judgement and yet apparently still misunderstood you.
    Ehhhhhh. Mkay, so if you post in txtspeak as an example and I or another mod call you on it, that's off topic? More shít stirring again.
    You may live in a country which has lost all sense of nationalism,but I live in a very proud Nationalist Country
    Small "n" nationalism versus big "N" nationalism. :rolleyes: Sheesh, I know which one is the better option IMHO. Again the pot gets stirred. Are you for real?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

How dare you say something like that about one of Ireland's great patriots.You may live in a country which has lost all sense of nationalism,but I live in a very proud Nationalist Country.

Please refrain from using such foul language.

This was a reply to passive's statement.

The point stands if it isn't reinforced further. There are Irish forums, on which you can have discussions of Irish, but whatever about your Nationalist Country, the majority of people on boards.ie aren't going to understand you if you post in Irish, and you're just doing it for attention.

(modnote: an earlier thread was created on Irish Skeptics forum and moved to Feedback, I have merged that thread with this one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Who could tell save a fluent Irish speaker?

I could and I'm far from fluent.

Firstly it would help if you actually had a little think about this and post in feedback(I see someone else has sorted that) and not clutter up another forum.
    Whether you believe I was trying to help the OP or not is irrelevent.
    Actually it's not. If by your post or by the wording in your post I or any other mod feels that you're hindering not helping then mods will warn you of that. Simple as. You seem to have difficulty getting your head around this.
    The fact of the matter is,the point that I made was completely on-topic constructive critiscism.
    That's fine and dandy, but the fact that you deliberately wrote it in a language that is not fluently understood by a majority of people on this site(I'm not talking about knowing a few words either), is the point in question.
    The fact that I naturally expressed my opinion in this country's first language is my own business and should not be questioned by anyone,including mods.
    Irish and English are official languages in this country. The latter is the one most commonly spoken. Fact. The latter is the language most commonly spoken in this forum. Fact. Indeed the OP may not even have english as her first language(her description of her age as 20 ans may confirm that). This is a multicultural society and we have people from all over posting here. It's some presumption to make that Irish people would understand you fully, never mind non Irish.
    You were the one who brought the conversation off-topic,not me,dont forget that.
    Look, you've clearly an axe to grind. That was my suspicion from the get go, hence the warning. Your continued rantings here just serve to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

The fact that I naturally expressed my opinion in this country's first language is my own business and should not be questioned by anyone,including mods.

buddy, is it their business. People seem to forget, that this is a privately owned forum and is not open to freedom of speech. hell, tomorrow they could make a rule that we all had to post in caps, and we'd have to comply to stay here. Tough shíte

First thing Monday I'm going on radio with this.

aye, best of luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

You were warned that you should not post in a language that might not be understood by everyone. Note that everybody else in the thread had posted in English including most importantly, the OP.
    You even proved this point yourself, when you criticized lorna100 for mistranslating you and misinterpreting what you had posted. I don't have excellent Irish, and I wasn't sure what you were trying to say. There is no room for miscommunication on PI. So you were warned.

Then, you got on your high horse and refuted the warning. You were banned for this, as you questioned the mod's actions, posting off topic (the topic of the OP's problem).

Very very simple. Mod was 100% correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Who could tell save a fluent Irish speaker?
    Exactly. I could figure out what the OP meant but I couldn't be certain about it. Also, referencing an Irish poem very few people reading the thread would be familiar with when supposedly giving advice is 'extracting the urine' too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement