Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from boards forum because I spoke Irish!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Can someone translate the OPS irish post into english ? I haven't a ****ing bean what he was on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

GA361 wrote: »
    I was leaving a reply on this page the other day:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055309867&page=7

As you can see I naturaly replied in this country's first language.
    Do you think the ban was fair.What would Michael Collins or Patric Pearse think of this action?

Why are you speaking in English now? Is it because you understand no one will know what the **** you're saying?

What would Michael Collins or Patric Pearse think of this action?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I could and I'm far from fluent.
    Cool, but as I pointed out the following poster got the wrong end of the stick and that required further translation from GA361.

Look as I wrote, if someone wants to write in Irish, followed by an English translation then I would personally have no objection to it.

That said, how many of the mods of PI or other forums are fluent enough to know when a poster is being subtly abusive. I certainly couldn't tell.

English is the majority language in this forum(outside of certain forums of course), so in giving advice in a forum such as PI then understandability is first and foremost the concern. GA361's presumption that the OP of the thread could understand Irish is bad enough. To then continue to shít stir is what got him banned from there.

I agree with leeroybrown, if you wanted to make a point about Irish speakers, you certainly made it, but not in the way you should have wanted, I expect(then again...)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Private Message: ban from the personal issues forum
    Recipients: GA361

ban from the personal issues forum
    You are banned for two weeks from the personal issues forum for off topic posting and questioning a mod action on the forum.

I will not be willing to discuss this further with you.
    Are free to start threads in feedback about the ban and a thread about Irish on this website.

English is the working language of this site and of the PI forum.

Thaedydal

That is the pm you got informing you of your ban and the reason for your ban.

If you want to question this sites language policy fair enough but stop using it as a smokescreen as to why you were banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

dublindude wrote: »
    Why are you speaking in English now? Is it because you understand no one will know what the **** you're saying?

Michael Collins spoke English in The Treaty negotiations,not Irish. . . So I guess he would understand . . .

Also.I think that most people are forgetting the key point.
    Irish is the first language of this country and as such takes precidence over English.
    If you choose to discriminate against me because I am proud of my Irish culture,I accept that.I know how to take my licks like a man.It is not my fault if the OP in that PI thread couldnt understand the first language of this country.And again,all my original point was on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gordon wrote: »
    In Personal Issues? Really? Please provide a link and I'll personally look into it, thanks.

Unless you are talking about usernames being in Arabic as per this thread which of course has nothing to do with this thread.

I said it was in in Personal tissues? :pac:

the very thread. oul squiggly name adresses me in squigglese and nary a mod bats an eyelid. He could have called me a c**t for all we know, the bowsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

So, he's complaining about not being able to speak in Irish on the site yet there is a forum for speaking Irish. AND... the post he made is not in line with the coversation in PI that was in English. If that was real life and someone just started randomly talking in Irish with everyone else speaking in English they'd be told to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Whether you believe I was trying to help the OP or not is irrelevent.The fact of the matter is,the point that I made was completely on-topic constructive critiscism.The fact that I naturally expressed my opinion in this country's first language is my own business and should not be questioned by anyone,including mods.You were the one who brought the conversation off-topic,not me,dont forget that.

It is an irish site and not a gaeilgeoir site.

You dishonor the hospitality of the owners of this site by speaking in a language their other guests can not understand, this site is their hall and they have said that a common language to all is to be spoken unless permission is granted otherwise.

There are places here where you may converse as Gaeilge but the personal issues forum is not one of them.

What is the point of wise words and advice if you choose to impart them in away they will not be understood by the person is need ?

Indeed to do such mocks their need and shows ill judgment.

The dialects of Gaeilge maybe the older languages of this land but the Irish republic has two languages which are considered equal under the constitution
    and the owners of this site, who's hospitality you enjoy and who's terms and conditions you agreed to be bound by when you signed up your account have stated that the common language of the site is English.

You were directed by the mod of that forum to compile with the Terms and Conditions of the site and you went on to break the forums rules by questioning that mod action on the forum it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Completely deserved.
    He would have said that you're a trolling little wanker.

Probably would have shot you, instead of boards just giving you a 2 week petty ban. Now go fúck off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

People who use this site and get unfairly banned, just want a 'sorry about that', from the mods.

That's a fair enough point if anyone was unfairly banned. In this case the poster was banned for a breach of that forum's charter. He's not banned from the whole site, just PI. There's nothing to apologise for.

Anyway, enjoy your next ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

For Gordon,
    This city has few net spots to chose, i'm in net cafe with fat woman now.

Anyway back to this.

People who use this site and get unfairly banned, just want a 'sorry about that', from the mods.

To the idiot who was saying best of luck on the radio, I will not need any luck.

The operation of this site will collapse if people stop using it.
    boards.ie would be left with a bunch of mods banning each cause theres no one left to ban, it would get boring after a while, and so is this.

Mods of Boards.ie just say SORRY to your users now and then and we can all shut up.

Right, like that's gonna happen! :rolleyes:
    Boards is a privately owned website. They don't really have to let you post here. And if you start acting like an eejit they'll tell you to go away, much like if you walked into a shop and started shouting.

For Gordon,
    This city has few net spots to chose, i'm in net cafe with fat woman now.

Anyway back to this.
    I share this website with people like you and your full of shít but you dont hear me bragging about that.
    Yah, and they want a sorry from the trolls.
    To the idiot who was saying best of luck on the radio, I will not need any luck.
    You go girl!
    boards.ie would be left with a bunch of mods banning each cause theres no one left to ban, it would get boring after a while, and so is this.
    Actually, threads like these, when people fight the power, is just brilliant. Mods will agree that banning people "for speaking irish" has to be one of their favourite pasttimes. There's only one thing better than banning people, and thats hearing the people telling joe duffy about how they were banned "for no reason" or "speaking irish"
    Mods of Boards.ie just say SORRY to your users now and then and we can all shut up.
    Yah, I completely agree.... The admins should apologise to idiots like you and send this site down the gutter.

nevf wrote: »
    Completely deserved.

Probably would have shot you, instead of boards just giving you a 2 week petty ban. Now go fúck off.

I am not going to use bad language like you.
    Please do some research on Patric Pearse and Michael Collins before you slandarise their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Blah.
    STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can't see that happening. Also, most of the people banned deserve it, and the rest were abnned for breaking the rules. Simple as.
    Please do some research on Patric Pearse and Michael Collins before you slandarise their names.
    You don't have the right to use their names for the purpose of trolling.

You'd want to do some research on what I just said, because I didn't "slandarise" them. I was just telling you what they would say about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Is maith liom caca milis

You'd want to do some research on what I just said, because I didn't "slandarise" them. I was just telling you what they would say about this.

Your opinion is wrong though,Pearse was a Gaeilgeoir. . . . People like you disgusted him . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you want to talk in Irish almost all the time go here: http://www.daltai.com/discus/messages/board-topics.html

Otherwise, accept that the main language used on this site is English. There are two forums where posting in Irish is welcomed and one of them encourages people to only post in Irish.

Irish speakers are catered for here but you have to respect that the average person on here is a monolingual English speaker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Michael Collins spoke English in The Treaty negotiations,not Irish. . . So I guess he would understand . . .
    Why was that then? Oh right so the majority of those around him would understand him, both Irish and English. Good manners really.
    Also.I think that most people are forgetting the key point.
    You're so far from the "key point" that you would need the services of the hubble telescope to spot it.
    Irish is the first language of this country and as such takes precidence over English.
    Really? Look around you. This is not any reflection of the pros and cons of Irish as a method of communication, merely stating the bloody obvious. Though you seem to have trouble with that.
    If you choose to discriminate against me because I am proud of my Irish culture,
    Jesus. Discrimination? Spoken like a man who has never truly suffered any. Pearse would be laughing at that one.
    I accept that.I know how to take my licks like a man.
    I hear the sound of a smug chest swelling.
    It is not my fault if the OP in that PI thread couldnt understand the first language of this country.
    You see it's all about good manners and consideration, not your personal issue(no pun intended). Good manners and consideration. Look em up, in a dictionary, either Irish or english. Do you good.
    And again,all my original point was on topic.
    Clearly you have a problem understanding the oul Bearla. No one said your original point was off topic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

That still doesnt cahnge the fact that I am trying to get across to all ye anti-republicans.
    Irish is more important than English in the eyes of this country's complete administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Cool, but as I pointed out the following poster got the wrong end of the stick and that required further translation from GA361.

Look as I wrote, if someone wants to write in Irish, followed by an English translation then I would personally have no objection to it.

I probably should have added in the bit where I say I agree with your actions 100%. i was just a bit surprised more people here couldn't understand it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Completely deserved.

LOL, vicious and funny! Nice combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Some of us have an addiction to boards and are unable to stop posting no matter how long we try and go cold turkey for.

GA361, stfu about WWPP do and WWMC do. Privatly owned website and the owners can ban or do whatever they wish to do with it (legally).

[img]http://lunatic_angelic.shackspace.com/we are going to die.gif[/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

That still doesnt cahnge the fact that I am trying to get across to all ye anti-republicans.
    Irish is more important than English in the eyes of this country's complete administration.

The inability to speak Irish does not make on an anti-republican.

What exactly is a "compete administration"?

Article 8 from Bunreacht na hEireann:
    Article 8
    1. The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.

2. The English language is recognised as a second official language.

3. Provision may, however, be made by law for the exclusive use of either of the said languages for any one or more official purposes, either throughout the State or in any part thereof.

Both Irish and English are official languages. If English is good enough for the constitution, it's good enough for me.

Why was that then? Oh right so the majority of those around him would understand him, both Irish and English. Good manners really.
    No,Collins spoke English to prevent the Black and Tans from brutally murdering any more Irish people.

No one said your original point was off topic.

Yes they did.That was the reason the moderator gave for banning me unfairly.

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    If I spoke in Polish or Latin in most of the forums Id be banned.

No you wouldn't. If you repeatedly spoke Polish or Latin after being asked not to do so, then you'd be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

roflcopter.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement