Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from boards forum because I spoke Irish!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

GA361 wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong though,Pearse was a Gaeilgeoir. . . . People like you disgusted him . . .
    People like you disgust everybody.
    Mr Crystal wrote: »
    If I spoke in Polish or Latin in most of the forums Id be banned. Why? Because very few readers could understand it. Just because Irish is the first language of the country doesn't mean everyone understands it. Most people in the country don't have a high enough fluency level to completely understand Irish posts.
    Excellent point, now go tell GA361 that, he doesn't understand english. Please translate into irish and repeat.
    Some of us have an addiction to boards and are unable to stop posting no matter how long we try and go cold turkey for.
    It's the forum thats addicted to us. I swear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

So. What we have here is blatant lying from a user about why they were banned, followed up by appeal to emotion and attempting to browbeat his way out of the warning.
    Grow up.
    The warning was warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Zaph wrote: »
    The inability to speak Irish does not make on an anti-republican.

What exactly is a "compete administration"?

I never said the inability to speak Irish makes you anti-republican.
    The fact that you put down the Irish language(i.e our badge of nationhood),by definition makes you anti republican.

Complete Administration.Everyone working in the Civil Service.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That still doesnt cahnge the fact that I am trying to get across to all ye anti-republicans.
    Irish is more important than English in the eyes of this country's complete administration.
    And finally you get to bang the drum you came here to do. If you want to discuss anti republicanism or the importance of the Irish language, for gods sake do it in politics, or Languages or somewhere relevant. It has nothing to do with your banning. You being argumentative got you banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Yes they did.That was the reason the moderator gave for banning me unfairly.

Wrong. Show us where, exactly please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The inability to speak Irish does not make on an anti-republican.

What exactly is a "compete administration"?

Article 8 from Bunreacht na hEireann:

Both Irish and English are official languages. If English is good enough for the constitution, it's good enough for me.

Then should it not be good enough for the site as well?

The OP is being a knob at this stage so I won't comment on him but just as a general thing, what's the harm with a post in Irish really? If the reader understands it then great, if they don't just ignore it and move on to the next comment. It's hardly crime of the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

English is our first language - tough sh1t if you can't accept it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The fact that you put down the Irish language(i.e our badge of nationhood),by definition makes you anti republican.

Nobody's putting down the Irish language. They have simply been making thepoint that not everyone's as fluent as Gaeilge as you are, and therefore it's unreasonable to expect people to understand what you posted, especially in a forum such as PI where even posts in English are often picked up wrongly.

As regards the Irish language being our "badge of nationhood" I'd dispute that. No one thing defines a nation, language is simply part of that. You could argue that hurling is a "badge of nationhood" as it's a national sport, but if you're not a hurling fan are you anti-republican?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

GA361 - do you honestly believe that not speaking Irish in PI is "anti-Republican"?
    Not everyone on Boards is Irish, not everyone on Boards understands Irish. Apart from Teach na nGealt and the language forums, it should be pretty obvious that this is an English speaking site.
    If Pearse and Collins were alive, they'd probably have much more important things to worry about than your silly little tirade.

Maybe if we spoke to the OP as Ghaeilge, he'd understand better that he was being an amadán uafásach?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    If I spoke in Polish or Latin in most of the forums Id be banned. Why? Because very few readers could understand it.

i dont see why, we surely have polish speakers here who could check it out for rule infringement and all that malarky, i wouldnt mind seeing other languages used the odd time in AH etc. Sure you're excluding people who dont understand the language but thats your own loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The OP is being a knob at this stage so I won't comment on him but just as a general thing, what's the harm with a post in Irish really? If the reader understands it then great, if they don't just ignore it and move on to the next comment. It's hardly crime of the century.

Xavi6 how can you moderate posts which you as a mod can not read and understand ?

Would it be ok for you as a mod to have people posting in the forums which you mod in flemish, arabic and esperanto when you have to try and find away to translate them and even then you may miss a cultural insult ?

as a general thing, what's the harm with a post in Irish really? If the reader understands it then great, if they don't just ignore it and move on to the next comment.

In any other forum apart from PI I'd agree. But given the general sensitive nature of the forum and it's heavy moderation, if you can't understand a post you can't be sure that a poster isn't taking the píss or trolling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Irish is the first language of this country and as such takes precidence over English.

Tell you what - go to a McDonalds and try to order a burger (with cheese but no pickle) and fries with no salt in Irish and see how far you get.
    When that fails, go to a spar and ask the nice Polish or Chinese girl for a ham, egg mayonaise lettuce and tomato sandwich on white with no butter in Irish.

When you also fail at that, come back and explain to us how the fuck you are qualified to give personal issues advice to someone you don't know in Irish.

Boards is a multicultural community with members from many linguistic backrounds - what we all share is the ability to communicate in English.
    There are forums that you can post in Irish to your hearts content, but you must respect the rest of the community elsewhere.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I think ye have lost this one.
    At this stage.All it is is mods sticking together to try and beat me down.
    Registered users seem to have different opinions to the mods

Come on,some of your users are so disgraced with your behaviour that they are going to the radio. . . You do realise that in the real world the majority of people are against your oppresive natures.
    I am absolutely sick of gombeens like yourselves thinking ye are above the Irish languge.You have tried to put a spin on it to make me look guilty but ye are completeley in the wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you don't like it, **** off. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Can we start posting the lolcats yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Xavi6 how can you moderate posts which you as a mod can not read and understand ?

Would it be ok for you as a mod to have people posting in the forums which you mod in flemish, arabic and esperanto when you have to try and find away to translate them and even then you may miss a cultural insult ?

You can hardly compare those languages to one that is the joint first language of the country. It's an IRISH site not a Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Egyptian etc.

If someone posts as Gaeilge it's really not that big a deal, in fact I'd welcome it. Nice to see some people still take an interest in it.
    In any other forum apart from PI I'd agree. But given the general sensitive nature of the forum and it's heavy moderation, if you can't understand a post you can't be sure that a poster isn't taking the píss or trolling.

Fair enough on PI but for all other forums I really don't see how it's a massive problem for someone to post as Gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Agreed on OP's knobularity. On the more general point, it's certainly not crime of the century. But it's a bit rude to join a conversation that was entirely conducted in one language and suddenly start speaking in another.

I also like the fact the mods keep Personal Issues free of anything that might alienate people with problems and prevent them for asking for advice. If I brought a traumatic personal problem to the board and someone answered me in Old High Dutch, it wouldn't make me feel too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Come on,some of your users are so disgraced with your behaviour that they are going to the radio. . .
    Yeah, sure they are. Joe Duffy and Gerry Ryan will be immensely concerned about this hugely important issue, I'm sure
    GA361 wrote:
    You do realise that in the real world the majority of people are against your oppresive natures.
    The majority of people don't speak Irish or English and are blissfully unaware of this thread
    GA361 wrote:
    I am absolutely sick of gombeens like yourselves thinking ye are above the Irish languge.You have tried to put a spin on it to make me look guilty but ye are completeley in the wrong.

:rolleyes: is the only correct response to that.

Eh, which users would they be? All I'm seeing here is post after post of people attempting to point out to you why you were wrong. Deluded much? :rolleyes: Oh, and congrats on bringing up the mod conspiracy, it's been ages since we've had that one.
    Come on,some of your users are so disgraced with your behaviour that they are going to the radio

One user to be precise, who re-regged to make his point a second time. Most likely a previously banned user re-regging in the first place.
    You do realise that in the real world the majority of people are against your oppresive natures.

Oppressive? Gee, never heard that one before either. You're on fire today, aren't you?
    I am absolutely sick of gombeens like yourselves thinking ye are above the Irish languge.

Not in the slightest. Being serious for a moment, I'd actually love to be able to speak Irish fluently. I can't, and I blame the appallingly bad way it was taught in schools over the years. But the fact of the matter is that I, and most other people here, are not Irish speakers, and that's something you'll just have to accept.
    You have tried to put a spin on it to make me look guilty but ye are completeley in the wrong.

No spin was put on anything. You questioned a mod's decision and got banned for it. As a matter of interest, exactly why did you feel the need to post in Irish in a PI thread? It's not like you're unable to converse in English, the language of the thread you posted in. Was it simply to provoke a response like you've got so you can push a few buttons and complain about Irish speakers being persecuted, or was there some other agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Fair enough on PI but for all other forums I really don't see how it's a massive problem for someone to post as Gaeilge.

Ah, sweet simultaneous posting. I agree with this entirely. Táim i gcomplete accord leat. (Refresher course required.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm not a mod, and I'm not sticking together with anyone. It's such an irony that you're saying to people like me that we're beating you down. I got banned from PI for "beating you down".

We're not all on one side with each other. We're just all on the opposite side to the trolls.
    Come on,some of your users are so disgraced with your behaviour that they are going to the radio. . . You do realise that in the real world the majority of people are against your oppresive natures.
    Hilarious. Joe Duffy actually does have real things for talking about on his radio programme, not you I'm afraid. And in the real world, you can pretty much do anything without getting sued. In the internet world, Boards.ie gets sued for doing pretty much anything.
    We didn't need to put spin on it. You managed to make yourself look guilty before you even came here. Now you just look like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

¿¿¿ɥnɥ ɥnɥ 'ǝ1doǝd uo ʇı buıɔɹoɟ ǝɯ ǝǝs noʎ op ʇnq 'ǝbɐnbuɐ1 ʇsɹıɟ ʎɯ sı ʞ1ɐʇ uʍopǝpısdn

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Spankeh wrote: »
    ¿¿¿ɥnɥ ɥnɥ 'ǝ1doǝd uo ʇı buıɔɹoɟ ǝɯ ǝǝs noʎ op ʇnq 'ǝbɐnbuɐ1 ʇsɹıɟ ʎɯ sı ʞ1ɐʇ uʍopǝpısdn
    Excellent point.

Spankeh wrote: »

¡pǝuuɐq

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

¡pǝuuɐq
    ;_; sǝooou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You questioned a mod's decision and got banned for it.

They Questioned it in the wrong way and in the wrong place.

Questioning a mod's decision and action is not a banning offense

but should be done by pm or here in feedback, but if it is done with in the thread and with in the form then it is off topic and unhelpful posting and off topic and unhelpful posting gets a person banned from the personal issues forum.

The op should have Pmed Wibbs, but they didn't they choose to post off topic and that is what got them banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Nice one Spankeh!

Hey GA361,

010101000110100001101001011100110010000001101001011100110010000001101101011110010010000001100110011010010111001001110011011101000010000001101100011000010110111001100111011101010110000101100111011001010010110000100000011000010110111001100100001000000100100100100000011101000110100001101001011011100110101100100000011110010110111101110101001000000110000101110010011001010010000001100001001000000111010001110111011000010111010000101110

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

banning was a joke imo.The mod should have been prepared for a reply to the post.
    The reply was not abusive or offensive,so the banning for the reply was ridiculous.

I knew I would get banned for my comment (seeing as criticism is not allowed on boards) but the original poster should not have been banned.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They Questioned it in the wrong way and in the wrong place.

Questioning a mod's decision and action is not a banning offense

but should be done by pm or here in feedback, but if it is done with in the thread and with in the form then it is off topic and unhelpful posting and off topic and unhelpful posting gets a person banned from the personal issues forum.

The op should have Pmed Wibbs, but they didn't they choose to post off topic and that is what got them banned.

I stand corrected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement